Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 11:24 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
I always wash mine with head & shoulders and lukewarm'ish water and hang dry. Mine seem to stay smell free. (or I'm used to it...)

Failing that/quick fix... maybe those febreeze sprayers? Or some AXE if you want to attract all the ladies.
AXE would definitely make me "THAT guy" that everyone dreads being behind in the paceline, hahahaha

Originally Posted by queerpunk
put it in a bag with a bunch of baking soda, shake the bag up, and then let it sit for several days
then dump out the baking soda, then wash it with detergent and more baking soda
dry it in the dryer
if the smell persists, just febreeze it every time you wear it to a party
I'll try the baking soda first (because I have it on hand) and if that doesn't work, I'll try the shampoo.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-18, 11:29 AM
Monkeyfudger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try putting it in the freezer first, I think that’s what “they” recommend when your jeans start smelling but you don’t want to wash ‘em...
Old 02-05-18, 11:40 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMinty
It looks to be the track ends, so I think they are over tightened
Pictures? How are they shearing? Are you removing material? What bike and what material are the drops made of?
Old 02-05-18, 11:52 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

The skinsuit funk is bacteria. Synthetic fabrics (some more than others), seem to be able to harbour bacteria better than natural fibers. Basically, wicking fabrics also attract your skin/skin oils onto the fabric. These bacteria feed on them, and the bacteria are pretty tough to remove, so you have to try to kill the bacteria, AND "degrease" your clothes.

Some solutions to kill the bacteria:

Freezing - try to kill the bacteria that way
Change the pH - baking soda OR vinegar may work, you may need to try both
Use an enzyme wash - Mirazyme is good https://www.rei.com/product/694530/g...dor-eliminator. It literally breaks the bacteria apart. I've used this on shoes, tents, and carpet and it's always worked.

To "degrease" your clothes regular detergent won't work. You'll have to use a cleaner that breaks down grease/oil. Lysol Kitchen and Bath works well. You can dilute it to 10% with hot water, and soak the garments before you wash them. Use a 5Gal bucket to do this so that you can stir and agitate the garment to make sure that it is fully saturated, or just let it soak in your machine. Let soak, rinse, and then wash as normal.

Another thing to think about is sanitizing your wash machine every once in a while. Run an small empty load in there of diluted Spray 9. Your wash machine never fully extracts all the water after a cycle, and this leaves a wet/musty environment for bacteria to thrive in the recesses of the machine.

I wear synthetic wicking shirts for 8-10 hours a day (high viz stuff). My shirts get hit hard with oil/sweat/mechanical greases. I have 5 each of undershirts and Hi-Viz, and just throw them in the hamper at the end of the day. I probably have to run through a cycle of all my syntheitcs with Lysol in the machine about once every 1.5-2 months.

Last edited by taras0000; 02-05-18 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-05-18, 11:57 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Freezing - try to kill the bacteria that way
Nah, this doesn't work. I tried this with a helmet, and a bike racing scientist I know said, "yeah, freezing. that's what we do to preserve the similar bacteria we work with in the lab. won't kill 'em." Sure enough, my helmet still smelled bad. Vinegar worked though.
Old 02-05-18, 12:22 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Also, when you wash them, double rinse it.

Detergent sticks to synthetic fabrics more than natural, and it will sometimes hold odors on.
Old 02-05-18, 08:16 PM
carleton
Elitist

Thanks, everyone. I'll keep you posted. I have 2 that I bought at the same time and are in the same condition. I can A/B test the techniques and report back.
Old 02-05-18, 11:28 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Originally Posted by spartanKid
In the theater/performing arts world, vodka in a spritzer bottle is used to kill bacteria and get rid of the stench in costumes. Maybe give that a try.
99% Isopropyl is cheaper and stronger.
Old 02-05-18, 11:37 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Originally Posted by carleton
Thanks, everyone. I'll keep you posted. I have 2 that I bought at the same time and are in the same condition. I can A/B test the techniques and report back.
I've used this stuff on baselayers and synthetics before and works really well. Maybe about 10 washes to a bottle

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5028-5...ee-Sports-Wash
Old 02-06-18, 07:12 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Best aero track crankset?
Old 02-06-18, 07:14 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Originally Posted by southernfox
since the gains to be had by an aero crankset over a nonaero one are extremely marginal to the point of being indecipherable, aero cranksets aren't in common use at all so i don't think there's anything approaching consensus on what's the best.
Old 02-06-18, 07:22 AM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
since the gains to be had by an aero crankset over a nonaero one are extremely marginal to the point of being indecipherable, aero cranksets aren't in common use at all so i don't think there's anything approaching consensus on what's the best.
I can say as someone with one...I notice zero difference.

100% bought because it looks swish. If it looks fast, it must be fast
Old 02-06-18, 07:01 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by southernfox
Either the look one-piece or the bf1 systems used by GB/Aus.
Or you could change practically anything else and save more watts
Old 02-06-18, 07:34 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
This is an old question, probably one that many of you have not considered since you were new in the sport: Step in pedals: float or no float? I've been on old style clips and straps and this is new (again) to me. I was assuming no float, but then with setting up my new shoes my LBS did not have the no float cleats, and I'm stuck with 4.5˚ for now. But I kinda like it. Is this wrong? What are the arguments against float for a sprinter?

Last edited by Baby Puke; 02-06-18 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-06-18, 07:38 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Vision track crankset. Not made of unobtainium like the other sexy cranksets
Old 02-06-18, 07:48 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
This is an old question, probably one that many of you have not considered since you were new in the sport: Step in pedals: float or no float? I've been on old style clips and straps and this is new (again) to me. I was assuming no float, but then with setting up my new shoes my LBS did not have the no float cleats, and I'm stuck with 4.5˚ for now. But I kinda like it. Is this wrong? What are the arguments against float for a sprinter?
No-float.

Every track sprinter that I've noticed uses no-float cleats. Male or female, elite or masters, national level and above, the sprinters all used no-float cleats. You can spot them. Shimano 0-float cleats have red "pontoons" (rubber grippy things on the outside of the cleat). The LOOK 0-float cleats are black.

Originally Posted by brawlo
Vision track crankset. Not made of unobtainium like the other sexy cranksets
This is probably the best answer.

They are inexpensive and currently being used by the fastest men's Team Sprint team in the world right now.

They don't have the history of reliability or pedigree of Sugino, Dura Ace, or SRM. So, no one knows how well they age being that they are new.

With that being said, "aero" cranks will not make one faster. Between the dirty air coming off of the front wheel, the turbulence added by the down tube, the legs and feet churning along side and above the cranks, a tapered edge here and there will simply go unnoticed.

...but, advertising cranks as being aero is a great way to sell cranks
Old 02-06-18, 07:56 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by carleton
No-float.

Every track sprinter that I've noticed uses no-float cleats. Male or female, elite or masters, national level and above, the sprinters all used no-float cleats. You can spot them. Shimano 0-float cleats have red "pontoons" (rubber grippy things on the outside of the cleat). The LOOK 0-float cleats are black.
I know this is the sprinter consensus, I'm just interested in if others are bucking this trend and if so, why? I'm liking the feel at top-end roller leg speeds, though I have no idea whether this would translate to the track. I may very well go back to fixed, but since they are on here and not feeling weird to me, I was curious.
Old 02-06-18, 08:01 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Float. I had this discussion with my bike fitter who is very very good with all this stuff when I turned up for my custom frame fit with fixed cleats. Basically he said you don't use fixed unless you have your position totally and utterly dialed in. Otherwise fixed will cause you more problems physically than they're worth. I guess sprinters aren't really on the bike long enough to see too much damage from their use. I did notice some minor knee discomfort disappear once I went to float vs fixed on my road shoes after that discussion
Old 02-06-18, 08:19 PM
carleton
Elitist

Float. I had this discussion with my bike fitter who is very very good with all this stuff when I turned up for my custom frame fit with fixed cleats. Basically he said you don't use fixed unless you have your position totally and utterly dialed in. Otherwise fixed will cause you more problems physically than they're worth. I guess sprinters aren't really on the bike long enough to see too much damage from their use. I did notice some minor knee discomfort disappear once I went to float vs fixed on my road shoes after that discussion
I beg to differ. Improperly adjusted 0-float or float cleats will cause issues.

This is the same thinking that has people saying that "Squats will give you knee problems!" No. Improper squats will give you knee problems as any exercise done improperly

In my experience, it takes about 15 to 30 minutes of trial, error, and patience to properly dial in a set of 0-float cleats on my shoes. Maybe some bike fitters don't want to spend that much time of the session doing that?

I use 0-float for track and road. I toss the yellow cleats that come with new pedals

On a related note: Look for the red 0-float cleats in this Tour De France gallery. They aren't just for track sprinters.
Tour de France shoes gallery - BikeRadar
Old 02-06-18, 08:31 PM
Baby Puke

Well, if Contador is using the fixed cleats, then who am I ...
Old 02-06-18, 08:49 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

i by and large agree. my entry in this conversation is this: it depends on how much of The Princess And The Pea you are. I know that if I used no-float cleats, I'd constantly be tinkering with my cleat position and it would make me unhappy. Whereas with cleats with float, it's a lot easier to get it in the ballpark.

I don't move my feet when I'm clipped in - I don't really take advantage of the float. It's not like it leaves you feeling all loosey-goosey. But if gives you some wiggle room to find that perfect foot/knee/hip position in your stroke.
Old 02-06-18, 09:24 PM
carleton
Elitist

I want to clarify.

My points are basically:

- At the end of the day, it's a personal preference. Whatever works for you and gives you confidence.
- 0-float cleats aren't more dangerous. They simply provide fewer foot position options.
- Improperly adjusted cleats of varying degrees of float may cause injury.
- I believe that wide float ranges simply allow for riders/fitters to get a cleat in the general vicinity of the best position and let the rider settle in from there. It literally provides wiggle room.
Old 02-07-18, 12:40 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Well, if Contador is using the fixed cleats, then who am I ...
...to not used fixed cleats and eat clenbuterol tainted meat.
Old 02-07-18, 01:06 AM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by taras0000
...to not used fixed cleats and eat clenbuterol tainted meat.
Precisely!
Old 02-07-18, 05:39 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The Vision and Rotor cranks were at the top of my shortlist, so thanks

I'm building a new A bike, so I need new cranks...I'm not thinking of 'upgrading' my Omnium cranks on my B bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.