Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 02-12-18, 08:02 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
14F for the commute this morning, but the winds were light and it made for a nice ride to work. I don't mind cold-ish temperatures, but don't typically mess with snow/ice. So bad roads along with a crazy work travel schedule has definitely curtailed my commuting miles thus far in 2018. This week looks to be quite good, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to ride every day!
Old 02-12-18, 08:26 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 114 Posts
-5F this morning. Sounded really cold as I stood in my living room looking out the window but once I was riding it wasn't bad at all.
Old 02-12-18, 10:27 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Beautiful sunrise today, the kind we get when it's really cold and clear - like 14F! Weekend ice storms made me think the ride would as icy as my neighborhood but other than a few bridges and black ice patches it was clear. Extra work on studded tires for naught
Old 02-12-18, 10:33 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
27F, blinding sun.
Old 02-12-18, 10:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Nice ride in today, with a north wind pushing me half way there. (Then it turned into a crosswind...) Water's up high in the usual spots, but not the spectacular flooding I'd expected after watching the forecast Friday night.
Old 02-12-18, 12:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
In a hurry for a meeting, I diverted from my MTB trails to paved bike trails and dirt fire roads. Fortunately minimal cardio symptoms.

Tomorrow will finally be the first commuter bike kid seat ride to the new daycare / preschool
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-12-18, 01:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Today is my first day at my job. I rode along the Hudson River, which I did on my last job, but I get off the path much sooner. I didn't find the right turnoff, and I had to carry my bike up some stairs.

The headwind was extremely strong. My average speed was only 10.5 mph.

I locked my bike in front of the building on the street. Now I see bike racks on campus which seem a little safer, so I'll use them from now on.

I'm on the 12th floor. The elevator is so busy that it is slow. I might be walking a lot.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-12-18, 10:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

On the way home I did a couple of little laps through my little jump line. I think I'm working off my nerves.
Old 02-12-18, 11:57 PM
kahuamp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only recently started commuting, usually nothing interesting happening except for last week's:

Nice sunny weather, left home earlier just to ride extra. Got chased by a dog who broke off from the leash.

Highly likely that the person was only tending his son's/nephew's dog, and was not the true owner since the dog ignored his Stop! and Come back! commands).

Eventually the dog, a labrador, returned to him and I could see yet another example of "dog walks human".

It happened on a 1-way street, with both way traffic allowed for cyclists. I don't want to imagine if that were to happen to a child, who panics and pedals into the oncoming cars.

The next day I got a cold
Old 02-13-18, 06:36 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 83 Posts
A very nice uneventful commute this morning with the temp at 23 f degrees and clear dark skies. As I got to the last five minutes of my ride the light was up a bit more. I definitely am noticing the days getting longer in the afternoon as it is staying light until 5:30 pm. Which gives me plenty of riding time to enjoy after work.
Old 02-13-18, 07:29 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,622 Times in 942 Posts
59°F this morning. Sprinkled just a bit tho not enuff.
Old 02-13-18, 08:20 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
From a few earlier posts, I see I'm not alone with medical issues. I had to take off Friday and Monday due to my wife being in the hospital. After I brought her home yesterday I took my son to Urgent Care and he has the flu.

I rode in today and hope to the rest of the week as well. But who knows. It was a decent 43F but is not supposed to get much warmer today.
Old 02-13-18, 08:43 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Congratulations!

I agree 7 miles is a good distance, short enough that it's not a problem on those days that you're not feeling it, long enough to feel like a ride when you are.

I take the stairs also, but only the 4th floor. 12 floors - at least the elevator should get less crowded the higher you go before getting on.

Originally Posted by noglider
I start a new job on Monday, only seven miles from my house. In my mind, that's an ideal distance for a bike commute. And it is also along the Hudson River path, which I love. I didn't even want a job closer to home, so I didn't apply to the places I could walk to.
Today is my first day at my job. I rode along the Hudson River, which I did on my last job, but I get off the path much sooner. I didn't find the right turnoff, and I had to carry my bike up some stairs.

The headwind was extremely strong. My average speed was only 10.5 mph.

I locked my bike in front of the building on the street. Now I see bike racks on campus which seem a little safer, so I'll use them from now on.

I'm on the 12th floor. The elevator is so busy that it is slow. I might be walking a lot.
Old 02-13-18, 09:38 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Woohoo finally back on the bike after more than 2 weeks hiatus! About 34° which was no problem at all with my layers. Should be around 50 going home which means I can shed a layer top and bottom. Felt good being back out there! Uneventful, no problems at all.
Old 02-13-18, 09:40 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Commuter fail.

Got my bike (3 sp IGH conversion) out of the bike locker yesterday afternoon, the bike having been in there since Friday morning; started riding and almost immediately the chain jams. On closer inspection I find the chain is broken; outer plate of one link is completely AWOL. I thought briefly about making some kind of caveman fix, like tying it together with wire, but it was cold and I didn't have wire, or the necessary tools. I called my wife for a ride home, put the broken chain in my bag, and the bike back in the locker.

Got a ride back to the station this morning, new chain in my bag.

That's the first time a mechanical failure has made it necessary for my wife to drive me to the station that I can remember. About a year ago I called for a ride, when I had a tire fail catastrophically, but she wasn't free; I booted the tire with paper money and rode anyway, so that doesn't count.
Old 02-13-18, 09:57 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Another beautiful sunrise, 21F. There was a slight tailwind and my weather app says the wind reverses this afternoon - tailwind both ways? I must be livin' right today!
Old 02-13-18, 10:01 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Stiff headwind!

Originally Posted by rhm
That's the first time a mechanical failure has made it necessary for my wife to drive me to the station that I can remember.
First time you needed her for a ride in all these years? Not bad at all!

Thanks, @wphamilton and everyone else. It's so great to be here at Columbia University. I feel like I made the Big Time. People are very welcoming and, of course, very bright.

Today was cold, but I dressed well for it. It was about 26° and windy. There were plenty of bike commuters on the path, many of us wearing stuff around our faces. I have that tubular scarf that's become popular, and for good reason. It turns out the wind direction was exactly in my face, and while it didn't make me cold, it made pedaling really hard. Often I was putting in a strong effort, and all I got for it was a speed of 10 mph. Damn, that's a stiff wind. I hope it doesn't shift later today.

I locked my bike in front of the building entrance again, though I don't want to do this long term. It seems like a vulnerable spot, because the street is open to the public. I did scope out some bike racks on the campus, and I'll start using them.

I was tempted to walk up to my 12th floor office, but I took a chance, and the elevator wasn't slow this time. I guess it's a crap shoot. Sometimes it takes a long time because it's so heavily used.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-13-18, 10:19 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
23F, clear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sunrise 2018-02-13.jpg (337.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-13-18, 10:36 AM
kellichou
Pedal Stompin'

Bikes: 2014 Metrofiets w/EBO e-assist; 2007 Trek 7300; 1986 Peugeot road bike w/downtube shifters

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I wish a speedy recovery for your baby and some sleep for you and your spouse, @kellichou.
Thank you so much, @noglider. And congratulations on your new job, and I hope you get a more secure place for your trusty steed.

My baby is still in the hospital, and I am at work today. My wife is with her at the hospital. She's doing better, but still days away from being able to come home. Sleeping in a mausoleum-quiet house with only the cat for company is strange for sure--compared to the noisy hospital, with the hiss of the VapoTherm oxygen, and all the equipment chimes and dings, and all the staff coming and going all hours of the night.

I got to do my full commute of 11.6 miles each way this morning, it was glorious. About 20F, cold and beautiful. Some patches of ice, but not bad at all. It's supposed to reach 50F this afternoon. I like the quote about commuting being a great ride, except for the ending up at work part!
Old 02-13-18, 11:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
41° this morning -- one less bit of clothing to put on (and try to dry before the ride home) than 32° yesterday. Also no wind this morning, which was a bit much last night.

Only way it could get better is to see the sun through all this overcast.
Old 02-13-18, 12:54 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
not too bad. a light rain for portions but I was warm and dry. around 34F. tough winds from the North though.
Old 02-13-18, 12:55 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
-5F this morning. Sounded really cold as I stood in my living room looking out the window but once I was riding it wasn't bad at all.
wasn't bad at all ... TUNDRA_man says!
haha
Old 02-13-18, 09:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I had a round trip daycare commute planned today. Morning portion went fine. I was going to leave work early and pick kiddo up, go for haircut and ice cream, then home. Looking at the failing light as we sat in the ice cream shop, I thought about the lighting on my bike - which I just remembered is lost in the house. And that I needed to ride west with kiddo along a major artery with no stops for a mile as the setting sun was in people's' eyes. I called for rescue - which fortunately was available, my wife's last client had canceled today. I felt a bit foolish for being overindulgent and self-indulgent. I think I won't do another daycare round trip until the time change.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-14-18 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 07:30 AM
mgw4jc

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I had a round trip daycare commute planned today. Morning portion went fine. I was going to leave work early and pick kiddo up, go for haircut and ice cream, then home. Looking at the failing light as we sat in the ice cream shop, I thought about the lighting on my bike - which I just remembered is lost in the house. And that I needed to ride west with kiddo along a major artery with no stops for a mile as the setting sun was in people's' eyes. I called for rescue - which fortunately was available, my wife's last client had canceled today. I felt a bit foolish for being overindulgent and self-indulgent. I think I won't do another daycare round trip until the time change.
But you and the kid had ice cream! That's always a win!
Old 02-14-18, 07:34 AM
mgw4jc

Temp was about 35F when I left home. I soon realized I was a bit over dressed and started pulling the balaclava down off my chin. That helped, but with about two miles to go I had just turned off a main road into a neighborhood. Riding no-handed, I unclicked the helmet, removed my glasses, took off the balaclava and put the others back on. Much better. My ears got a little cold, but it was worth it.

A high of 63F this afternoon. I'll be stowing some layers for that trip home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.