Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living with/without a car

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living with/without a car

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18, 08:48 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
All of the countries with the highest GDP /capita...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al)_per_capita

... also rank among those countries with the most motor vehicles /capita

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...les_per_capita

And, some of them have a lot of bicycles /capita as well...

Top 10 Countries with Most Bicycles per Capita | Top 10 Hell
Old 02-25-18, 09:09 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
So you are saying with a bad economy we would have developed these things anyway? That we would have been able to fund the research to develop good medical care on an economy without the auto industry? I am rather doubtful. I say again how did we get to where we are today and would we have done so with an economy driven by bicycles and walking? I think that is a stretch. Ambulances are from the auto industry without it you have no ambulances period. You would have to wait till the doctor rode his bike to you. That was the part about wanting the parts we like and not wanting the parts we don't like. Without the auto industry there would be no delivery trucks to deliver food. Your car free has lots of caveats. I said imagine no auto industry. and yes it was a leading question, it was intended to be. I wanted you to picture a country with no auto related vehicles. By the way my drivers were all all still alive last time I checked and more than likely healthier than the average American that eats just like they do without hard work. The retired ones are pretty active and hunt and fish and hike if Facebook is to be believed. I was pretty lucky I guess and never lost one to an accident. I did lose one to drugs but that was after I let him go. He was car free by the time he died however.

As an aside, you forgot the link on Longevity by nation but I looked it up. How did we fare against any nations that never had an auto industry? Or at least common auto use? I have been to a few so I can guess.
I added that link late sorry. Of course I want the good parts of modern life and not the bad parts. Don't you? We can't go back and see how the US economy would have developed without such a focus on cars, but modern life expectancy and western industrial development both started to increase and outpace third world countries long before cars came on the scene. Had there not been cars, it's easy to imagine economic development continuing in some other way. Those poor countries that never built cars likely never had a pharmaceutical industry or a mechanized agriculture industry (which started before and was largely independent of the car industry) or a rail building industry or many other industries, and are probably also in many cases casualties of colonization where their economic development was stifled by conquest, so to suggest lack of cars is the source of their poverty is pretty much a stretch.

Last edited by cooker; 02-25-18 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-25-18, 09:18 PM
bp2k8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
step out your comfort zones

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-25-18, 09:40 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
I added that link late sorry. Of course I want the good parts of modern life and not the bad parts. Don't you? We can't go back and see how the US economy would have developed without such a focus on cars, but modern life expectancy and western industrial development both started to increase and outpace third world countries long before cars came on the scene. Had there not been cars, it's easy to imagine economic development continuing in some other way. Those poor countries that never built cars likely never had a pharmaceutical industry or a mechanized agriculture industry (which started before the car industry) or a rail building industry or many other industries, and are probably also in many cases casualties of colonization where their economic development was stifled by conquest, so to suggest lack of cars is the source of their poverty is pretty much a stretch.

What I am saying is we have cars and we are still living longer than our ancestors, period. Not having cars wouldn't have changed that. Like I have said before I realize this forum is the equivalent of the Coffee shops I hung out at both up at the University of Washington and back here in California. It is just talking about things, ideas or processes. Realistically many people in here cannot really believe cars are the devils spawn and that people shouldn't own them because they have cars, or at least a car in the household. If someone believed they were that destructive they would demand that the car was sold and everyone in the house were car free. But they don't.

It is the banter and back and forth that so many enjoy, as do I. ICE may be a problem but no one will supplant it with bikes or walking. Consumerism may sound bad but no one is going to supplant it with going back to the land and the barter system. And yes both cars and consumerism has its problems but they are both so much better than what others have without either it is hard to take seriously a suggestion that 90 percent of the population is going to wake up one morning and smack themselves on the head and say, "now I see it, I make too much money and people that make less have a better idea of what I need than I do." That is just not likely to happen in my lifetime. And yes I am having fun with this.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 02-25-18 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-25-18, 09:59 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by bp2k8
aso @Mobile 155 in ref to dreaming is only helpful when action is taken what do u say to people who dream on a silly surface layer of less traffic on the road but when presented with this coming to fruition to accomplish this, they themselves can not stop using their car and refuse to do it...how is that not taking action? Meaning many people dream but refuse to take action even though they drive a car or have a house or may seem like they are accomplishing many things. I dont even believe this world is real personally. I work with kids age 5-9 as a teacher and they dream just for the purity of dreaming and being in the present moment...and kids are the closest thing to our creator and are less manipulated so I am siding with them.
Sorry I thought you were talking to ILTB.

First to assume what people dream about. Having sat on planning boards they don't dream like you believe they do. They come up with a plan and lobby to get it accomplished if it means building more roads, assigning one way streets or other measures. If you mean less traffic coming to fruition by those means yes they are doing something. If you believe they are thinking about giving up driving by dreaming of it you are wrong in general. in the almost 50 years I have followed cycling by commuters in the US the dreamers have managed to increase it by maybe .5 percent nationally.

I cannot help you with belief on the reality of this world it is real and what someone believes about it isn't up for debate.

Many years ago I worked with kids in a similar age group. I don't agree they dream in the moment or the present as a dog or cat does. At least not by nine. By nine you can ask them what they want to be when the grow up and they will answer with their dreams, Race car driver, pilot, Policeman, Fireman, Doctor, Nurse, singer, cowboy or cowgirl and if they are precocious they might say teacher. But they hardly ever say they want to work at a minimum wage job like food service, clerk, sales person, convenience store worker. They never say they don't want to live in a home or have things. And I have never heard one say, I want to stay a kid forever. I only hear that from adult dreamers.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 02-25-18 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-26-18, 08:40 AM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
this life is an illusion

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 09:00 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,554 Times in 1,057 Posts
I predict that LCF will now be twice as "entertaining" with a dynamic duo of so-called LCF enlightenment.
Old 02-26-18, 09:29 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 618 Posts
being a fireman is not a dream. That is domestication. Children have no idea of occupations until they learn what they are. I am talking about dreams of pure illustration and creativity. My dreams even to this day resemble movies or anime or liquid artistic creation. I dont dream of owning and living in a mansion with a nice car and working my favorite occupation lol

You missed my point completely. I am simply saying people dream of less traffic or safer roads for driving etc yet they do nothing on their own accord to contribute to the dream. They continue to drive often, text while driving etc. You must be losing your marbles to think this country is even dreaming at all. There is a complete lack of dreaming at the moment and it can be seen in every facet from lack of creativity in media, lack of conversation sin depth in all areas of society, etc

I dont think we will ever understand each other as you seem to approach everything with logic but logic never works. Science which is based on logic, cannot even explain what love is or what is proper diet for humans ,etc! Think of the type that donates to find a cancer cure....sadly there are many but science and big pharma will never use it as its not marketable or able to be patented. I can name hundreds of logical things people do that make no true sense. I know people who go to church and then right after head to pancake house and get bacon lol Now if one likes bacon fine but in every religious document it is said to be an unfit animal to eat or domesticate other than for purposes of cleaning aka eating all waste lol Point is logic only resonates with people who think logically.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
quelle-surprise.jpg (79.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 02-26-18, 10:02 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I predict that LCF will now be twice as "entertaining" with a dynamic duo of so-called LCF enlightenment.
Just steer of logic and common sense or the LCF faithful will complain to the moderators.
Old 02-26-18, 10:04 AM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
you cant handle the truth

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 10:14 AM
McBTC

American economic freedom is largely the product of individual liberty, personal responsibility, self-reliance and freedom of mobility which gives wings to initiative which in turn is the key to success.
Old 02-26-18, 10:37 AM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
the world is not real its reversed

Old 02-26-18, 10:45 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 618 Posts
@McBTC @Mobile 155 @badger1
Let me preface my post by saying you think I like feeling different than people? I do not hate anyone on here or in real life but its obvious that logical thinking has never been my specialty and I do notice it and it makes me look inferior to guys like you all who seem to have proper answers that make sense to most people. I am simply expressing myself in the way that is natural for me. I was born with this mind this way and I often rub people the wrong way as they dont understand when I speak or take my words as if they are laced with hostility. I am more so frustrated with the current state of the world as I do not know how to improve it without the help of others but often other people do not think my expressions "make sense"

I guess my question is for people who respond with the meme above like this than what exactly is your answer to issues mentioned? It seems to me that logic and thinking positive etc and feeling at peace is in itself a coping mechanism. If one loses a limb and thinks positively they are viewed as strong and positive. If one thinks of it angry or seems grim about future its viewed as weak or negative BOTH are simply thought constructs. Not one is better than another and the same applies

Logic and common sense is what built this matrix and it has never been righteous nor what humans are meant to experience

We live in a worse state than sodom & gomorrah and people think that logic is keeping things moving properly...

Think of the common mega-mall. It was and to some to this day seems logical to build them and appreciate/shop in them but yet look at the current state of malls and Mega malls. They are decrepit and hardly used so what was once a logical and monetary decision is not a big eyesore and waste of space.

Just because things are prettier and more organized does not mean its progress. For every argument saying we live longer I can prove countless times otherwise. What some consider living is simply a delusion and inability to want to move on/fear of death/fear of leaving loved ones or aspects of material behind. This goes for people who actually physically pass on as well.

P.s. I dont complain to mods nor do I talk to anyone much anymore other than my students for reason like here. Adults always feel they have all the answers. I DO NOT I am simply saying the current state of things are built on logic and its a prison for people who dont think logically.
tl;dr
Old 02-26-18, 10:56 AM
McBTC

Common sense is not so common. ~Voltaire
Old 02-26-18, 11:52 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3951 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
If someone believed they were that destructive they would demand that the car was sold and everyone in the house were car free. But they don't.
That's a strawman argument - nobody is taking that extreme position. I believe opiates are destructive, but I don't want to ban them - in fact if I break my leg or have a kidney stone, they damn well better give me the good stuff! And I want a goddamn ambulance too!
Old 02-26-18, 12:16 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Beelzebub is wack.

Old 02-26-18, 12:18 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
freedom aint not free

Old 02-26-18, 12:24 PM
Mobile 155

@McBTC I agree with you! But how in the world does this refute my statements about people overusing their cars, eating improperly, believing they are powerful etc/. Last I checked we are at the bottom of the food chain as mere parasites, protozoans and bacteria can wipe us out with ease!

I think the liberty and initiative you mention is an illusion. I used to think this country has freedom till you realize it does not especially depending on what you do and what you look like. I was told I walk too aggressively at work from the camera footage yet people chain smoke out the front of the school -
teachers and students but thats ok! HOw is that ok!?

Freedom aint not free lol
Ok let’s try this. Tell us how any of the things you have listed would change in your mind without cars? How would the way people think, eat, look at other people, or even smoke change without cars? It sounds like maybe the problems you invision have more to do with mankind than its inventions.
Old 02-26-18, 12:37 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
people dont all live in iowa or alabama or backcountry.

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 01:18 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Correct... MOST (but not all thankfully) of mankind at its current iteration are following the devil's/masonry work and is evident in all aspect as...
[SKIP]
OT religious lecturing/ranting will make a fine complement to the non stop OT political lecturing/ranting from a like minded individual that makes this list stand out from the rest on BF.
Old 02-26-18, 01:24 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You cant understand the bible.

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 01:24 PM
Mobile 155

Correct... MOST (but not all thankfully) of mankind at its current iteration are following the devil's/masonry work and is evident in all aspect as.

cars/trucks should be for business purposes like transporting food to a farmers market however even without such a caveat...
However without cars there would be no fast food etc so people would have to resort to growing their own food as well as eating meat and wild game if they choose to eat that way.

No cigarettes in nature so if someone was addicted to this - closest aspect would be tobacco leaf.

People would learn to appreciate all people as each individual has a unique gift from our creator to utilize. People would learn to think uniquely instead of sheeple and herd mindset. I have rarely seen any young person in florida by themselves. Only people I see alone walking or being true to themselves are people over 40 and its because they recognize the truth that we are born alone and die alone so they embrace self.
Have you seen any society morphing into this dreamed of lifestyle because they don’t have cars? You do know life in Kenya, outside if the capital of course, live pretty much car free. Children as young as five walk to school. Parents shop every day for food. And yet your vision has not happened. People smoke and fight and eat whatever food they can get their hands on. Children can and are abandoned on the street to make it on their own. Paradise doesn’t seem to follow the lack of cars.

Just saying.
Old 02-26-18, 01:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I am not a bible thumper however I call it as it stands fit.
Old 02-26-18, 01:48 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
have you ever seen

Last edited by bp2k8; 03-01-18 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-26-18, 02:01 PM
McBTC

What you call common sense can be flipped to work against you though. You mean to say things you are USED to might not be so understood by others. Not everyone lives in the same reality as you. I think its common sense to avoid pork but to some its normal as eating an apple.
P.S. quoting some dead french guy is the same thing as logical thinking which to me is not as useful as following one's intuition and soul. Why would some guy long ago have any relevance to me.
That's where respect for individual liberty comes into the picture... something the Left doesn't seem to understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.