Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXIX

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXIX

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 11:18 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Chain wallets were pretty big here in the late '90s.

Often paired with spider web elbow tattoos.
I always thought of them as a biker thing. I thought it very odd when my dad did it. And now I understand why. He always kept a spare car key inside the qas filler door too. Once, when I was pretty young, I remember him having a problem with the one he had stashed in the air cleaner of his carburated car. It had somehow gotten sucked down into the throat and jammed the butterfly wide open.

Old 03-05-18, 11:27 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,277 Times in 3,009 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I always thought of them as a biker thing. I thought it very odd when my dad did it. And now I understand why. He always kept a spare car key inside the qas filler door too. Once, when I was pretty young, I remember him having a problem with the one he had stashed in the air cleaner of his carburated car. It had somehow gotten sucked down into the throat and jammed the butterfly wide open.
Stashing it in the air cleaner is a fine idea. Stashing it on the inside if the element, instead of outside of it, maybe not so great.
Old 03-05-18, 11:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,462 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Maybe you could take one of the youngins with you
That'd violate hiking/camping rule #1 - minimize dead weight.
Old 03-05-18, 11:45 AM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Great weekend with friends. Short (10 mi) bike ride in the good weather we had here on Sat. Irons still in the fire, hope to have some good news later today.
Old 03-05-18, 11:52 AM
indyfabz

Liked 17,426 Times in 8,138 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Have you done backpack journeys? You've got most of the stuff. I'll see you on the AT this summer.
Back in '03 I did a seven-day, guided backcountry trip in Glacier National Park. No one else signed up for the trip so it was just me and the guide. Fun time. Without a group we were able to do some walk-up peaks. I have also done four three-day trips in PA forests. I am afraid my backpacking days are over thanks to some messed up discs.
Old 03-05-18, 12:07 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,064 Times in 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
They initially told me the state had filed charges against the seller. Then I find out that no, they filed charges against me, being I was the last one to touch the falsified papers. This came as quite a shock. So today I officially declare my innocence, and then tomorrow I officially place charges of fraud against the man who sold it to me. Then the investigation can begin.
Time to start talking plea deal.
Old 03-05-18, 12:09 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by WhyFi
That'd violate hiking/camping rule #1 - minimize dead weight.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Back in '03 I did a seven-day, guided backcountry trip in Glacier National Park. No one else signed up for the trip so it was just me and the guide. Fun time. Without a group we were able to do some walk-up peaks. I have also done four three-day trips in PA forests. I am afraid my backpacking days are over thanks to some messed up discs.
You two should do the hike and make the mini-Whyfis haul the gear.
Old 03-05-18, 12:16 PM
indyfabz

The outfitter that was running the guided trips in Glacier back then provided Sherpas to carry your gear if you were willing to fork over the extra daily charge. My guide told me one group he led hired a Sherpa to carry a pack full of alcohol. Damn rich yuppies!
Old 03-05-18, 12:19 PM
indyfabz

Congrats to Saw Rockwell. Finally got his props. The first thing I remember seeing him in was "Made", with John Favreau, Vince Vaughn and Peter Faulk. Rockwell played the concierge at the NYC hotel where Vaughn and Favreau stayed. I wonder if he was even credited.
Old 03-05-18, 12:24 PM
WhyFi

Congrats to Saw Rockwell. Finally got his props. The first thing I remember seeing him in was "Made", with John Favreau, Vince Vaughn and Peter Faulk. Rockwell played the concierge at the NYC hotel where Vaughn and Favreau stayed. I wonder if he was even credited.
The Green Mile - I fuggin' hated him in that, so you knew he was good. Also, if'n you haven't seen Moon, you should.
Old 03-05-18, 12:26 PM
WhyFi

The little girl loves hauling stuff around, and she's doggedly determined, but she's still less than 30lbs, so prolly not much good.
Old 03-05-18, 01:03 PM
indyfabz

The Green Mile - I fuggin' hated him in that, so you knew he was good. Also, if'n you haven't seen Moon, you should.
Never seen either. "The Way, Way Back" is another good one of his with a good cast of Maya Rudolph, Steve Carell as a great a-hole boyfriend to Toni Colette, Allison Jayney, Amanda Pete and AnnaSophia Robb thrown in for eye candy. Great writing by Faxon & Rash, who co-wrote the Oscar-winning screenplay for "The Descendants."
Old 03-05-18, 01:15 PM
WhyFi

Never seen either. "The Way, Way Back" is another good one of his with a good cast of Maya Rudolph, Steve Carell as a great a-hole boyfriend to Toni Colette, Allison Jayney, Amanda Pete and AnnaSophia Robb thrown in for eye candy. Great writing by Faxon & Rash, who co-wrote the Oscar-winning screenplay for "The Descendants."
I've seen The Way, Way Back - a good watch.

The Green Mile is a friggin' classic, though - gotta watch that. Moon went largely unnoticed but is very, very good (Sam plays a guy nearing the end of his term overseeing mining operations on the Moon, alone save for a station AI voiced by Kevin Spacey).
Old 03-05-18, 01:26 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Liked 5,277 Times in 3,009 Posts

The Green Mile is a friggin' classic, though - gotta watch that. Moon went largely unnoticed but is very, very good (Sam plays a guy nearing the end of his term overseeing mining operations on the Moon, alone save for a station AI voiced by Kevin Spacey).
Agree on the Green Mile. I read the serial paperbacks, and was pissed I had to pay hardcover price for a bunch of paperbacks. Then it got to the point that I was pissed because I had to wait for each installment... As I finished, I was hoping the movie would be nearly as good as the written word, and I wasn't disappointed. The genius in charge of casting should have received an Oscar.
Old 03-05-18, 02:53 PM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Oh my. Moon. Mmmmm. so, so good.
Old 03-05-18, 03:45 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,565 Times in 4,422 Posts
I just snagged a nice pair of winter Sidi's for $50 off ScamBay.

Old 03-05-18, 04:02 PM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
i just snagged a nice pair of winter sidi's for $50 off scambay.

*box only* shoes not included.
Old 03-05-18, 04:07 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by topslop1
*box only* shoes not included.
I am thinking you are just envious.
Old 03-05-18, 04:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Uh oh....cut/paste alert from National Weather Service...kinda early but could be a serious storm...

Action Recommended: Make preparations per the instructions
Issued by: Philadelphia - PA, US, National Weather Service,
...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT... * WHAT...HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES, WITH LOCALIZED AMOUNTS UP TO 13 INCHES POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY NEAR AND JUST WEST OF THE INTERSTATE 95 CORRIDOR AND IN THE HILLY AREAS OF SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA AND NORTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY. * WHERE...PORTIONS OF CENTRAL, NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY, SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA, NORTHEAST MARYLAND AND NORTHERN DELAWARE. * WHEN...FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...PLAN ON DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS AT TIMES, INCLUDING DURING BOTH COMMUTES ON WEDNESDAY. SIGNIFICANT REDUCTIONS IN VISIBILITY ARE LIKELY. SNOW SHOULD BEGIN TUESDAY NIGHT WITH SLUSHY ACCUMULATIONS BY DAWN WEDNESDAY. THERE MAY BE A BRIEF CHANGE TO RAIN DURING THE EARLY MORNING DAYLIGHT HOURS BUT PRECIPITATION SHOULD CHANGE BACK TO SNOW BY MIDDAY AND ALL HEAVILY FOR SEVERAL HOURS DURING MIDDAY AND THE AFTERNOON WITH 1 INCH PER HOUR RATES. WIND GUSTS TO 45 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE IN NORTHEASTERN NEW JERSEY. THE SNOW WILL BE WET AND MAY RESULT IN POWER OUTAGES. SO WHILE THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY, STRONG CONSIDERATION SHOULD BE GIVEN TO CONTINGENCY PLANS SHOULD A WARNING BE ISSUED FOR SNOW AMOUNTS EXCEEDING 5 INCHES. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW, SLEET OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS. &&

More Information
...A MAJOR SNOWSTORM IS ON THE WAY FOR PORTIONS OF OUR AREA ON WEDNESDAY... .UNFORTUNATELY, A MAJOR NOR'EASTER WILL BE INTENSIFYING RAPIDLY WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON ALONG THE NEW JERSEY COAST. IT IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE HEAVY WET SNOW FOR EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA AND PORTIONS NEW JERSEY WEDNESDAY. HIGHEST AMOUNTS SHOULD BE IN THE HILLY AREAS. WHILE THIS STORM IS STILL IN WATCH PHASE, WE RECOMMEND EVERYONE WITH ACTIVITIES IN EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA AND NEW JERSEY TO HAVE CONTINGENCY PLANS FOR ALTERING TRAVEL AND HOW TO HANDLE POSSIBLE POWER RELATED IMPACTS. THESE PLANS CAN THEN BE APPLIED ONCE WARNINGS ARE ISSUED, WHICH WILL EXPRESS MORE CONFIDENCE IN THIS ONCOMING PROBABLE VERY HIGH IMPACT EVENT. WEDNESDAY MAY BE A GOOD DAY TO JUST STAY HOME AND BE SAFE.

edit: tl;dr - Winter is STOOPID

Last edited by datlas; 03-05-18 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-05-18, 04:28 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I just snagged a nice pair of winter Sidi's for $50 off ScamBay.
Any nice $50 non-winter ones?
Old 03-05-18, 04:31 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Any nice $50 non-winter ones?
I actually bought a pair of nearly-new Sidi Genius 5 (I think that's the number, looks similar to these ones but shorter in the ankle) in my size off ScamBay for about that price a few months ago. The current ones I am using are really worn. Will break out the brand new ones soon.
Old 03-05-18, 05:06 PM
WhyFi

Huh. Did y'all see that the price on the Powertap C1 chainring power meter dropped to $350? Heck, that's even within range of the penny-pinchers among us (*ahem* [MENTION=107711]datlas[/MENTION]). If Shimano hadn't moved to a 4-bolt pattern, I might have one on order right now... as it is, I'm thinking about picking up a 67xx crankset to slap them on; should still be able to get in under $500 total.
Old 03-05-18, 05:09 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Huh. Did y'all see that the price on the Powertap C1 chainring power meter dropped to $350? Heck, that's even within range of the penny-pinchers among us (*ahem* [MENTION=107711]datlas[/MENTION]). If Shimano hadn't moved to a 4-bolt pattern, I might have one on order right now... as it is, I'm thinking about picking up a 67xx crankset to slap them on; should still be able to get in under $500 total.
It works well with a 5-bolt Shimano Crankset? Hmm....
Old 03-05-18, 05:10 PM
WhyFi

It works well with a 5-bolt Shimano Crankset? Hmm....
This is what I'm saying. Hey, it's about time you benefited from that cable-chewing groupset - https://www.powertap.com/page/c1-compatibility-chart
Old 03-05-18, 05:14 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

This is what I'm saying. Hey, it's about time you benefited from that cable-chewing groupset - https://www.powertap.com/page/c1-compatibility-chart
I see that.

I will take it under advisement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.