Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Old 02-24-18, 08:21 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Sounds like it was a bug from USAC..

"
All,
If you have purchased your individual USAC license for the season, please check and make sure you signed the online USAC waiver for the license. You can check if you have done this by logging into your account and if the license shows as pending you need to sign the waiver.

There are two ways to sign the waiver, either email USAC membership (membership@usacycling.org) or look through your emails for an email from USAC with a link to the waiver.

If you haven't purchased your individual license yet, please do so and make sure you fill out the online waiver while purchasing it. The season is approaching fast and having your license ahead of time will spread up number pickup on the first day you race.

"
Old 02-24-18, 10:37 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Sounds like it was a bug from USAC..
Bugs are kinda normal.
In 2007 I got my kid a license at age 8 - racing age 9. At that time, you had to be 10 to race. At state championship after 4-5 races they asked about it. It turned out to be a bug in the software. So Junior, raced longer than any other junior.
Old 03-10-18, 04:42 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
rode the tainer today with all 3 bikes.

kickr in erg mode at 237 watts, power meter paired to wahoo elemnt bolt

kickr 237
argon 250
foil 247
speed concept 243

the gap is a little more than I expected, then again my chains all just measured 1.4+ mm stretch over 8 links, so who the **** knows how much I'm losing between the crank and the cassette. (new chains arriving tomorrow, btw.)
Old 03-10-18, 05:15 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've been looking at this one wiggle.com | Elite - Turbo Muin II Fluid Direct Drive Trainer | Turbo Trainers

but it doesn't support erg mode, right?
Old 03-10-18, 07:45 PM
burger0014

Bikes: Tarmac SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
rode the tainer today with all 3 bikes.

kickr in erg mode at 237 watts, power meter paired to wahoo elemnt bolt

kickr 237
argon 250
foil 247
speed concept 243

the gap is a little more than I expected, then again my chains all just measured 1.4+ mm stretch over 8 links, so who the **** knows how much I'm losing between the crank and the cassette. (new chains arriving tomorrow, btw.)
I'm surprised the kickr isn't higher. Most I've heard of, including mine run 20-30 watts high at 250 watts. I've compared to 3 different quarqs.
Old 03-11-18, 09:26 AM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
2018 Grants Tomb Video Highlights

Sup everyone. Road season kicked off yesterday. First championship race of the season is Grants Tomb. Check out the video I put together for it. Enjoy and subscribe!

Old 03-12-18, 12:32 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biketocamp
Sup everyone. Road season kicked off yesterday. First championship race of the season is Grants Tomb. Check out the video I put together for it. Enjoy and subscribe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGDfd-FzXO8&t=36s
championship race? what's the championship going on in march?
Old 03-12-18, 07:11 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Kitting up for some time trial fun. Never done that either, so that'll be my second race ever, a time trial.

I'm just throwing the clip ons on the Propel. I subscribed to the British bike forums and got good advice. The initial setup I came up with seemed to pass their ideas on a decent position.

I don't have the money for a TT bike, so I'd only get one if I really enjoy this or if I'm good at it.

First goal was to hit 24min flat for a 10 miler. Based on my testing, the watts at mph is looking favorable for me to do that this season.

I'd be concerned if I hadn't done it by mid-summer. I'm hoping to get well into the 23min range by season's end.

Equipment is essentially:
-generic european TT skinsuit
-Giro Adv. 2 helmet
-clip ons on a Giant Propel
-pretty aggressive position within UCI/USAC rules.......let's just say it is plenty comfortable to me for 25min or so, but the triathlon guys winced in pain at the photographs.

The power output in the position on the trainer and on-road is better than I had initially thought it would be. More practice will close the gap closer to my 20min threshold.

I'm on a solid diet of 2x20 and over/unders now.

I have a local "friendly" time trial this Thursday. Probably need to try out the helmet before that to get used to that vs. the roadie helmet.
Old 03-12-18, 07:40 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
championship race? what's the championship going on in march?
Heh, NY had our crit championship at the opening crit of the season. The usual race is not returning for 2018 so CRCA stepped in to take up the slack. Not ideal, but better than nothin!
Old 03-13-18, 01:44 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
What do you guys use to balance out a wheel with a hop at the valvestem? I've heard stick-on golf weights are good. I ended up using 4 quarters and duct tape because it was last minute and I didn't want to ride a hoppy wheel in the wet. Worked great to balance it out and make it spin evenly, but looked super ugly
Old 03-13-18, 09:11 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by wktmeow
What do you guys use to balance out a wheel with a hop at the valvestem? I've heard stick-on golf weights are good. I ended up using 4 quarters and duct tape because it was last minute and I didn't want to ride a hoppy wheel in the wet. Worked great to balance it out and make it spin evenly, but looked super ugly
I don't bother with it, but here is a great vide on the process by Shane Miller. A very well accomplished Aussie racer.

Old 03-14-18, 12:37 AM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
4 quarters seems like a lot!

I think it’s a red herring (even descending at up to 60mph) through I know others who claim to be sensitive to it.

Tubular? Do it right. Pull the tire and use a countersink drill bit (by hand even) to lightly chamfer the edges of the valve opening.

Hope for tubulars often seem to be related to a tall spot when the base tape overlaps.

If not a tubular...there may be a bigger issue.
Old 03-14-18, 06:50 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I was thinking that too.
Old 03-14-18, 06:58 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
That's two quarters more than I had on the tone arm on my cheap stereo in college.

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-14-18, 09:14 AM
wktmeow

Yea the weird thing is that the tire looks pretty even from the side when you spin it, even near the valve, it's just a good bit heavier on that side. Its an older zipp 808. Maybe the valve extender I used is just on the heavier side? Or it's possible I didn't stretch the tire evenly, or put more glue on the one side or something. But I've already done a handful of races on these and other than this they've been great. Without the counter weight I've only noticed the wobble on descents over 40 mph.
Old 03-14-18, 09:17 AM
wktmeow

I don't bother with it, but here is a great vide on the process by Shane Miller. A very well accomplished Aussie racer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcgiUcbS64c&t=7s
This was the video I saw a while ago that gave me the idea. Guess I just need to find some golf weights on ebay now. Mines an 808 as well but non firecrest. I think it's lighter, so maybe that's why it has a little more wobble than shown in this video. Not sure how much each of those weighs, but looks like he has 5 of them from the screenshot, so a decent amount of imbalance there too I imagine.
Old 03-14-18, 05:03 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I redid my kickr power test after putting on 3 new chains.

with three old chains, measuring between 1.4 and 1.6mm stretch over 8 links (double the recommended replacement amount. oops)

Kickr | Argon | Foil | Speen Concept = 237 | 250 | 247 | 243

with new kmc chains all measuring 0.00 or 0.01 stretch.

Kickr | Argon | Foil | Speen Concept = 237 | 246 | 245 | 244

So 4 watts on the argon chain, 2 on the foil, and +1 watt on the Speed Concept. Given the kickr measuring at the wheel and the rest measuring at the crank, I'm pretty happy with those numbers and their consistency.

Some of it is just noise, too. The kickr shows 237 flat, all the time. Up down no more than 1 watt, but as cadence goes up and down the cranks reflect the increasing and decreasing power as the kickr adjusts. Regardless, nothing is perfect but I'm happy to have done it, and now I'll try to be good and change my chains on time. 4 watts counts!
Old 03-15-18, 04:52 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Anyone use Wheels Manufacturing Angular Contact BBs?

I have their regular ABEC 3 BB on one bike and it's got a solid 18k on it and been completely flawless. Looking at getting another one for my other bike and am considering going with the angular bearings. Supposedly with these bearings all bearings are engaged at the same time to spread the force out... But I don't know of anyone else doing that in bbs, so wondering if it's just marketing.
Old 03-15-18, 05:38 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/238657-canyon-launches-radical-grail-gravel-bike

Can't canyon just make a normal bike without all this weird sit going on...
Old 03-15-18, 06:22 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval

I have their regular ABEC 3 BB on one bike and it's got a solid 18k on it and been completely flawless. Looking at getting another one for my other bike and am considering going with the angular bearings. Supposedly with these bearings all bearings are engaged at the same time to spread the force out... But I don't know of anyone else doing that in bbs, so wondering if it's just marketing.
Yep. I have the GXP version on one bike and had the BB30 in a Caad10 I sold.

I opted for them because they supposedly last a lot longer than ceramic and roll better than regular bearings for a minimal upcharge. And while they aren't used in a lot of BBs, they are used a lot in other mechanical situations.

So far, I have no complaints. I cannot say they are adding any benefit, but truthfully, the only time I think about my BB is when it isn't working.
Old 03-15-18, 07:28 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/238657-canyon-launches-radical-grail-gravel-bike

that is some garbage.
Old 03-15-18, 08:26 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts

It always annoys me when the rear triangle goes into the front, but I like the ones where the rear triangle is lower (like the Venge).

The rest of that bike looks nice if you were racing at a clown fiesta.
Old 03-15-18, 09:14 AM
wktmeow

I'm ok with everything but the hover bar, ew .

3t exploro is my choice if I ever have money for it
Old 03-15-18, 04:14 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval

i do. MTB.

it's fine.

you're not really going to be able to tell any difference, other than price.
Old 03-15-18, 04:16 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
That's two quarters more than I had on the tone arm on my cheap stereo in college.
the tracking force on my cartridge is 1.7g. (i think a quarter is ~5g, for reference.)

quarters on tonearms always pained me.

it's like riding a mountain bike with terrible suspension -- instead of getting the right suspension or tuning it, just add more weight! ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.