Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Roll - Sport, Elite or Comp?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 04-21-18, 09:07 PM
mstgkillr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m definitely going to purchase a Specialized Roll, but cannot decide between a Sport, Elite or Comp. Any suggestions? What exactly am I getting for the extra money and is it worth it?
Old 04-22-18, 06:59 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Better components. More gears. Hydro brakes. Lighter. Better wheels.

Only you can decide if it's worth it to you. They will all get you where you need to go.

Personally for the $250 difference between low and high I'd go with the Comp. But that's just me.
Old 04-22-18, 08:31 AM
mstgkillr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Better components. More gears. Hydro brakes. Lighter. Better wheels.

Only you can decide if it's worth it to you. They will all get you where you need to go.

Personally for the $250 difference between low and high I'd go with the Comp. But that's just me.
First, thanks for the reply! Second, I’m new to bikes, so please excuse the dumb questions....

Ok, so better derailer. Does it last longer, shift smoother, etc...?

What makes the wheels better?

And for the steel vs. aluminum fork, which is stronger? I’m slightly over 300 lbs, so I don’t want to sacrifice strength over weight.
Old 04-22-18, 10:01 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by mstgkillr
First, thanks for the reply! Second, I’m new to bikes, so please excuse the dumb questions....

And for the steel vs. aluminum fork, which is stronger? I’m slightly over 300 lbs, so I don’t want to sacrifice strength over weight.
I will be honest. For the money, the specs on all of them is underwhelming. Shimano Tourney is pretty low end for a premium priced bike shop brand bike. Altus is decent, and Deore is more than acceptable, so I would say it is money well spent going with the comp.

That said, I disagree with how Specialized has done this. Strong wheels are a good thing. But hydraulic discs on a comfort bike is puzzling. And the drivetrain components are underspec'd.

Have you thought about other models? Why did you lock in on the Roll?
Old 04-22-18, 10:07 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts

I wouldn't be worried about the fork. The wheel is probably lighter to begin, but the number of spokes on the wheel is what will determine how strong a wheel is. With 32 and 36 on the front and back, respectively, you're probably okay with either bike, but do check with Specialized regarding the maximum weight capacity of the bikes.

The rear hub on the Comp is also a freehub vs the freewheel on the Sport, meaning you can have more options for swapping out he cassette if you don't like the stock one.
Old 04-22-18, 10:22 AM
mstgkillr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I will be honest. For the money, the specs on all of them is underwhelming. Shimano Tourney is pretty low end for a premium priced bike shop brand bike. Altus is decent, and Deore is more than acceptable, so I would say it is money well spent going with the comp.

That said, I disagree with how Specialized has done this. Strong wheels are a good thing. But hydraulic discs on a comfort bike is puzzling. And the drivetrain components are underspec'd.

Have you thought about other models? Why did you lock in on the Roll?
Well, I have a Cannondale SL2 29Er and hate it! I'm big & tall (>300 lbs and 6'7"), and the bent over position kills my wrists, not to mention my back and butt... I'm 38, so not too old yet. However, I love performance and hate buying cheap stuff.

I would like an upright, or close to it ride, that will support my weight/height. I live in SWFL so everything is flat and beaches with shared use paths everywhere. I'm thinking a hybrid/cruiser is the best for recreational use. Do you have any other suggestions?
Old 04-22-18, 10:22 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I wouldn't be worried about the fork. The wheel is probably lighter to begin, but the number of spokes on the wheel is what will determine how strong a wheel is. With 32 and 36 on the front and back, respectively, you're probably okay with either bike, but do check with Specialized regarding the maximum weight capacity of the bikes.

The rear hub on the Comp is also a freehub vs the freewheel on the Sport, meaning you can have more options for swapping out he cassette if you don't like the stock one.
Another example of a puzzling choice by Specialized. IMO, no $600 retail bike should come spec'd with a freewheel.
Old 04-22-18, 10:26 AM
MRT2

Well, I have a Cannondale SL2 29Er and hate it! I'm big & tall (>300 lbs and 6'7"), and the bent over position kills my wrists, not to mention my back and butt... I'm 38, so not too old yet. However, I love performance and hate buying cheap stuff.

I would like an upright, or close to it ride, that will support my weight/height. I live in SWFL so everything is flat and beaches with shared use paths everywhere. I'm thinking a hybrid/cruiser is the best for recreational use. Do you have any other suggestions?
OK, you didn't say you are 6'7". That is taller than 99.8% of the population The problem is, because of your height, a lot of stock bikes are way too small for you including possibly the Roll. This results in a hunched over position. You need to look at very large frames at your height. IDK if the Roll in XL will cut it.
Old 04-22-18, 10:38 AM
mstgkillr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, you didn't say you are 6'7". That is taller than 99.8% of the population The problem is, because of your height, a lot of stock bikes are way too small for you including possibly the Roll. This results in a hunched over position. You need to look at very large frames at your height. IDK if the Roll in XL will cut it.
From the 4-mile test ride, the XL felt really good! Way better than my Cannodale. And I tried a bunch of bikes from Trek, Cannodale, Specialized, etc...
Old 04-22-18, 10:42 AM
MRT2

From the 4-mile test ride, the XL felt really good! Way better than my Cannodale. And I tried a bunch of bikes from Trek, Cannodale, Specialized, etc...
IMO, it is hard to know from a short test ride. I was about to suggest you consider the Soma Smoothie ES in 66 cm, as it is, maybe, the largest stock frame available. Most stock frames are either 61 or 62 cm, whereas the Smoothie is available in 66 cm. But Soma dealers are not as ubiquitous as are Trek or Specialized dealers.

ES | SOMA Fabrications

Last edited by MRT2; 04-22-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 05:17 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I think a Roll in the appropriate frame size will be a good choice for your use. They have a super high-rise BMX-style handlebar (I think it's something like 125mm) and you'll be in a very upright riding position. You could also install a taller stem for even more rise if you feel too leaned over. I do agree with other comments that the value proposition of this bike is somewhat weak. The components you get for what you pay are pretty low-end.

And it's going in the wrong direction because it looks like Specialized just raised their prices on each Roll model. The Elite is now $750 and used to be $700. The Sport is now $600 and used to be $575.

I'd probably go with the Elite model myself ($750). You get hydraulic disc brakes (a decided upgrade over mechanical discs) and a cassette rear hub. A cassette rear hub should be the standard for any but the most entry level bike shop bikes. I do like how Specialized use different spoke counts (32 front, 36 rear).
Old 05-11-18, 02:09 PM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Just ordered an 1x low entry. Can’t wait!
Old 07-04-18, 07:29 PM
JRoll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a Roll Sport about a month ago andhave put 110 miles on it. I love the bike.
Old 07-05-18, 11:52 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MJH
Just ordered an 1x low entry. Can’t wait!
After a couple of small vacation trips, I started riding quite a bit and have done 123 miles since June 11. I can't begin to tell you all how much I love this bike. Getting on and off is a dream. The bike certainly isn't fast and some of that is attributed to the heavy, old man riding it. I can live with that. Averaging around 10.5 to 11.0 mph. That's fine with me. Doing 15 to 17 miles each day. That's also fine with me, but it is getting easier and I'm feeling more bicycle fit every day.
I also really like the 1x10. I only have to worry about one shifter and have not found any hills that I can't make it up At least not yet, but I do my best to stay on our trails that do not have hills to speak of.
A great bike.
Old 08-14-18, 03:49 PM
jillsky

Bikes: Specialized Ariel 2016, Specialized Sport Roll on order!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by MJH
After a couple of small vacation trips, I started riding quite a bit and have done 123 miles since June 11. I can't begin to tell you all how much I love this bike. Getting on and off is a dream. The bike certainly isn't fast and some of that is attributed to the heavy, old man riding it. I can live with that. Averaging around 10.5 to 11.0 mph. That's fine with me. Doing 15 to 17 miles each day. That's also fine with me, but it is getting easier and I'm feeling more bicycle fit every day.
I also really like the 1x10. I only have to worry about one shifter and have not found any hills that I can't make it up At least not yet, but I do my best to stay on our trails that do not have hills to speak of.
A great bike.
I'm so happy to hear this.I just bought the turquoise Roll Sport today since my LBS (Mike's Bikes) had a slight discount. The sales manager told me the owner of Specialized lives in San Jose (Willow Glen) and he also owns a Roll too

Last edited by jillsky; 08-14-18 at 04:07 PM. Reason: type
Old 06-28-19, 08:43 AM
DSJ13

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another example of a puzzling choice by Specialized. IMO, no $600 retail bike should come spec'd with a freewheel.

Seems the 2019 Roll Sport comes with a cassette.
Old 06-28-19, 02:00 PM
hokiefyd 

There are two Roll Sports on Specialized's website. The $610 Roll Sport comes with a 7-speed freewheel whereas the $635 Roll Sport comes with a 7-speed cassette. I presume the $635 model is the newer one, and I agree that a cassette is an improvement over a freewheel. For $635, I think a 3x7 Tourney drivetrain is still less than one would expect to receive for the price, but it's definitely an improvement over the previous model year. You have to move up to the $760 Roll Elite to get a 3x8 drivetrain, and it's about as low-end as it gets (a mix of Tourney/Altus).

Pricing on the Roll has always been curious to me. You can get a $540 Crossroads with the same 3x8 drivetrain as the $760 Roll Elite. Sure, the Crossroads has rim brakes vs. disc, but that's a $220 premium for the Roll Elite!
Old 06-28-19, 03:02 PM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up the $635 version. I don’t know enough to know it’s value.

I wanted to try the crossroads but no one stocks them by me. I rode the crosstrail, Sirrus and roll and wound up with the roll.

We’ll see.
Old 06-28-19, 06:41 PM
hokiefyd 

I like the Roll. It's a certain type of fun to ride to me. I have a late '60s Peugeot mixte frame bike that's about what the Roll is today, but 50 years ago. It's definitely not a race bike, and you sit bolt upright, but there's a certain enjoyment from riding it. I think it's as fun to ride as any of my bikes, but in different ways to some of the others.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy your Roll.
Old 06-28-19, 07:30 PM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I like the Roll. It's a certain type of fun to ride to me. I have a late '60s Peugeot mixte frame bike that's about what the Roll is today, but 50 years ago. It's definitely not a race bike, and you sit bolt upright, but there's a certain enjoyment from riding it. I think it's as fun to ride as any of my bikes, but in different ways to some of the others.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy your Roll.
I liked the crosstrail too, but does that seem silly to be cruising around my neghborhood with the wife and baby? Who knows maybe I'll catch the bug and wind up getting another one in the future. The crosstrail hydraulic disc comes with the altus 8 speed for $670. So for $45 more you get the hydraulic brakes and the better derailleur. Speaking of which, what separates the altus from the tourney?
Old 06-29-19, 06:47 AM
hokiefyd 

Regarding one bike being silly or not, it just all depends on what is comfortable to you. If you liked it as much as the Roll, it would have certainly suited your use fine. If the Roll felt better to you, then I think you made the right call.

What separates Altus from Tourney? Not much, to be honest, especially in the front derailleur. The rear derailleur is styled a little differently, but both will be durable for many years. In general, lower end components are heavier and/or not as precise as nicer stuff, and higher end components are lighter and/or more precise as cheaper stuff, but nearly everything Shimano makes will (should) be durable over time. I have some bikes from the '90s with their original Shimano components, and they still shift well. It's not as crisp as newer stuff, but they still work.
Old 07-04-19, 11:08 AM
DSJ13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Regarding one bike being silly or not, it just all depends on what is comfortable to you. If you liked it as much as the Roll, it would have certainly suited your use fine. If the Roll felt better to you, then I think you made the right call.

What separates Altus from Tourney? Not much, to be honest, especially in the front derailleur. The rear derailleur is styled a little differently, but both will be durable for many years. In general, lower end components are heavier and/or not as precise as nicer stuff, and higher end components are lighter and/or more precise as cheaper stuff, but nearly everything Shimano makes will (should) be durable over time. I have some bikes from the '90s with their original Shimano components, and they still shift well. It's not as crisp as newer stuff, but they still work.
So I wound up buying a crosstrail because the roll didn’t make it in time for a trip, but I think I might still get the roll for even more casual rides with the wife on her cruiser.

Go figure.
Old 07-04-19, 11:24 AM
hokiefyd 

Multiple bikes is always the right answer!