Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 05-02-18, 02:40 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Ok, I did it. I pulled the trigger today. Lynskey is having a huge sale and I've been looking at their bikes for a few weeks so I couldn't pass up the savings. Got a 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro road bike. Traded-in the Cannondale on it. Yes, they take trade-ins.
I upgraded to Ultegra 8000.
I'm keeping the wheels from the Cannondale and swapping them for the Mavic Aksium wheels that are stock on the bike. I'll be flipping the stem too. I'll post pics when I get it. You'll have to be happy with this for now.

Got an email from Lynskey a little while ago. The bike has shipped and I should get it Friday.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-04-18, 03:09 PM
RonH
Life is good

The new bike came after I got home from my ride today.

I started assembling the bike until it started getting warm. I don't have an air conditioned garage so I'll finish it tomorrow morning. The back porch is on the west side of the house and will stay comfortable until about 1:00PM. I'll post pics when its finished.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-04-18, 03:32 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
The new bike came after I got home from my ride today.

I started assembling the bike until it started getting warm. I don't have an air conditioned garage so I'll finish it tomorrow morning. The back porch is on the west side of the house and will stay comfortable until about 1:00PM. I'll post pics when its finished.
if your Helix rides as smooth as my GR260 you will love it. I’m looking at getting a second set of wheels just for riding on the road/paved surfaces. Looking forward to the pictures and ride reports.
Old 05-04-18, 03:45 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by jppe
if your Helix rides as smooth as my GR260 you will love it. I’m looking at getting a second set of wheels just for riding on the road/paved surfaces. Looking forward to the pictures and ride reports.
I'm thinking it will be even more comfortable than my 2001 Litespeed (made by the Lynskey family). Its been my favorite ride for 17 years.

Old 05-04-18, 04:13 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 2,206 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
Here's one for Wildwood. In between the snow and spring, you can almost see into Canada from central NY.
Funny you should mention, I was looking at Canada yesterday. Vancouver Island, specifically, across the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Need to get my passport re-newed.

Old 05-05-18, 11:01 AM
RonH
Life is good

Here's the bike. Started assembling it yesterday afternoon and finished it today. All it needs now is a bath to get the oily film off the Ti. Probably from the welding process?

Notice the helix (twist) in the downtube? The seat stays also have the helix but hard to see in the pics.

No ride today but a new neighbor was riding around last night and saw me working on it in the driveway. He asked about the bike. He has an aluminum Orbea. He's thinking of getting a new bike. Anyway, we're meeting up Monday morning for the maiden voyage and our first ride together.

Last edited by RonH; 05-05-18 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-05-18, 02:23 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
No ride today but a new neighbor was riding around last night and saw me working on it in the driveway. He asked about the bike. He has an aluminum Orbea. He thinking of getting a new bike. Anyway, we're meeting up Monday morning for the maiden voyage and our first ride together.
VERY NICE!! Can't wait to see it in person. However, I can't believe you weren't out on it today. The weather was great and the trail was quite void of riders.... well except for the "Walk for Life" in Inverness. Look forward to seeing you on the trail Monday.
Old 05-05-18, 03:02 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
VERY NICE!! Can't wait to see it in person. However, I can't believe you weren't out on it today. The weather was great and the trail was quite void of riders.... well except for the "Walk for Life" in Inverness. Look forward to seeing you on the trail Monday.
Didn't ride today because I was finishing up the bike. You know, final adjustments, installing the bike computer, then washing and drying the bike and lubing the chain. It was dry.

Old 05-05-18, 06:16 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Are those 25mm tires?
Old 05-05-18, 06:49 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Didn't ride today because I was finishing up the bike. You know, final adjustments, installing the bike computer, then washing and drying the bike and lubing the chain. It was dry.
So what you're saying is after 15 mins of finishing it up you spent the rest of the day admiring it?

Nice ride. Enjoy.
Old 05-06-18, 06:14 AM
RonH
Life is good

Finishing up took a few hours. I'm very meticulous. It started raining while I was washing the bike. Didn't last long but I don't do wet or rainy rides. And as I mentioned, I'm riding with a new neighbor on Monday. He just moved into the community and has been looking for someone to ride with.

Old 05-06-18, 06:29 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Looks great!
Old 05-06-18, 07:08 PM
bwrench

Bikes: Scott CR1, Cannondale quick5, Actionbent tusanami

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turned 70

Two weeks ago, I turned the big 70. I haven't been on my bike much in the last three years, since I've had 3 knees replaced,,,, No I'm not 3 legged, I had one of them done twice. Yesterday I took the longest ride of the year,, actually the second ride of the year, I did 16 miles and it sure felt good to get the wind in my hair and do some hard breathing.
Old 05-06-18, 07:58 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Well congratulations Mr. Ron H,,,,,, that's a mighty fine looking bike you got yourself,,,, are you clipping in?
Old 05-07-18, 01:29 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
Well congratulations Mr. Ron H,,,,,, that's a mighty fine looking bike you got yourself,,,, are you clipping in?
Thank you. I've been riding clipless since 2001.

Met Bernie (the new neighbor) at the trail today. This was my first ride on the Lynskey. The ride was awesome. Got a great workout. The only problem was the rear derailleur. I had to stop twice to do an adjustment on the barrel adjuster. But that's to be expected on any new bike. Had a nice ride from Hernando to the north end and back. Bernie says he usually only rides 10-25 miles. I'll have to get him out of that routine.
Didn't see Bruce @DowneasTTer and his wife. Maybe we'll cross paths on Wednesday.

Old 05-07-18, 01:46 PM
Fastfingaz

Hey sounds like you're off and riding,,,, ,
Old 05-07-18, 04:26 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by bwrench
,,,, No I'm not 3 legged, I had one of them done twice. ...

Ditto on the revision (end of July, last year for me)-- sounds like you're doing well too. Cheers!
Old 05-07-18, 04:29 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Didn't see Bruce @DowneasTTer and his wife. Maybe we'll cross paths on Wednesday.
We must of just missed you. Cilla and I did our new usual 30 miles from Central Ridge to Fort Cooper. Hope to see you on Wed really looking forward to seeing the bike! Maybe you can get your neighbor to try the SunCoast... See you on the trail.
Old 05-07-18, 06:51 PM
Fastfingaz

Originally Posted by bwrench
Two weeks ago, I turned the big 70. I haven't been on my bike much in the last three years, since I've had 3 knees replaced,,,, No I'm not 3 legged, I had one of them done twice. Yesterday I took the longest ride of the year,, actually the second ride of the year, I did 16 miles and it sure felt good to get the wind in my hair and do some hard breathing.
well now see ,,, besides the three knee operations your next phrase sounds very positive,, yeah the part about the wind in the hair,,, keep up the good work and just keep increasing your miles....
Old 05-08-18, 05:37 AM
DGoodrow

Location: Just up the road from the Withlacoochee Trail-Holder Trailhead

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
We must of just missed you. Cilla and I did our new usual 30 miles from Central Ridge to Fort Cooper. Hope to see you on Wed really looking forward to seeing the bike! Maybe you can get your neighbor to try the SunCoast... See you on the trail.
I actually passed Ron doing my usual 35 miles from Holder to the North end to Inverness and back but since I apparently got " dropped" from Ron's "A" list, I didn't bother to flag him down. Hope to see you out there though.
Old 05-08-18, 10:05 AM
RonH
Life is good

Dave, why didn't you stop us or give us a shout? I don't remember seeing very many cyclists yesterday.

Old 05-12-18, 01:39 PM
Aim2bFit

Bikes: 1989 Centurion Dave Scott Expert Black, 2009 Raleigh Venture 4.0 bronze

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello DougG, I joined just recently, after buying a road bike to supplement my mountain bike, and I'm going thru the posts. I see you're in the general area, so I'll ask you to help me find some good MI bike trails, that you have experienced, so I can get a true impression of their condition and such. So far I have heard of the McComb Orchard Trail and the Pere Marquette Rail Trail. Thanks
Old 05-12-18, 01:45 PM
Aim2bFit

Bikes: 1989 Centurion Dave Scott Expert Black, 2009 Raleigh Venture 4.0 bronze

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New 67.5 y/o member

Hello to all of you old guys. I’m 67.5 y/o and just yesterday picked up a new-to-me road bike and a membership to your forum. I have some history on road bikes, but for the last 9 years I have been riding a very solid mountain bike. It’s been nice cruising around Michigan, Wisconsin and Park City Utah on that bike, but it feels real good to be back on a light frame go-fast.

My first old Raleigh carried me from Olympia WA to the visitors center on Mt. Rainer, and was a great ride for many years. My Motobecane carried me all over Northern Germany for a couple of years and showed me that countryside. My next Raleigh helped me get thru the Seattle to Portland ride unscathed and up to Mt. Rainer again as well as up and down the Seattle Burke-Gilman Trail and to all of those coffee shops while I lived on the boat. Then came the mountain bike. Park city is a great road bike area, but the mountain bike gearing suited me well enough to get over the passes and up and down the Union Pacific Rail Trail that never seemed to end.

Yesterday I picked up a real nice black Centurion Dave Scott Expert (stamped 1988 but I believe its a 1989) and the first ride was exciting to say the least. The tires are rock hard 22s, but the speed is familiar. At 67.5 I have reduced my weight by over 20 pounds in the last 2 months, to 193 at 6’2”, improved my breathing thru spin biking and now have a bike 10 pounds lighter than the mountain bike. As long as non of these high schoolers take me out, I look forward to a great summer on both bikes.

It’s good to find a forum of like minded individuals. Thanks for listening.
Old 05-12-18, 03:32 PM
willie2323

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So how hard can it be to understand?

"You must be 65 + to post on this thread." In other words, "NO BABY BOOMERS ALLOWED"

WHAT??
lets see, definition of baby boomer is born after WW2 since that is the boom time. so if you were born post say 1945, that makes you roughly 73...hmmm.

baby boomers like me definitely fit the 65+ requirement...
Old 05-13-18, 06:12 AM
DGoodrow

Location: Just up the road from the Withlacoochee Trail-Holder Trailhead

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by willie2323
WHAT??
lets see, definition of baby boomer is born after WW2 since that is the boom time. so if you were born post say 1945, that makes you roughly 73...hmmm.

baby boomers like me definitely fit the 65+ requirement...
I'm as Baby Boomer as they come...born in 51.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.