Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 10:43 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

Baby Boomer for sure, I was in the sixth grade when the Beatles hit the Ed Sullivan show.

I will occasionally ride with a group dominated by 65+, and this discussion topis are limited to medical procedures, medical problems, and drug prescriptions. Hopefully, we can raise the bar a bit here.

For summer 2018, I decided I need a new fun bike for joy riding, sightseeing. For rides with my spouse and friends, the classic 'rotated position' is not conducive to dialogue and sightseeing.

Enter, the Barracuda, ( You smiled like the Sun, kisses for everyone). '94 handbuilt MTB out of Durango, Colo. Hi bars, suspension seat, and a Jandd super saddle bag...good to go.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 05-13-18 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-13-18, 12:01 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Aim2bFit
Hello to all of you old guys. I’m 67.5 y/o.
My first old Raleigh carried me from Olympia WA to the visitors center on Mt. Rainer, and was a great ride for many years.
It’s good to find a forum of like minded individuals. Thanks for listening.
Welcome to BF.
Less than a year behind you.

Not a Raleigh, but bike trips into the 3 MRNP entrances are fun.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-13-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-13-18, 04:16 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by willie2323
WHAT??
lets see, definition of baby boomer is born after WW2 since that is the boom time. so if you were born post say 1945, that makes you roughly 73...hmmm.
What about me? I was a "war baby". Born in 1944.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-13-18, 06:28 PM
Aim2bFit

Bikes: 1989 Centurion Dave Scott Expert Black, 2009 Raleigh Venture 4.0 bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Wildwood! That is a great National Park and I have some very good memories. Not only was I able to complete two rides from Olympia to Paradise and back (at ages 29 and 41), but I learned to ski at Chrystal Mountain, watched a thunder storm from above while overnighting on one of the peaks and took day trips with my Daughter. Good times!

As you probably know, from talking to the park rangers, not many bikers ride UP the mountain. The ranger we talked to was pretty surprised. Most everyone gets their bikes up in the car, then speeds down to the entrance. I like to think I could still do something like that, but it would take 3, maybe 4 days (the oxygen bottles would be heavy), I would need no freewheel gear larger than 4 toothed and there would have to be an aid vehicle close behind. No, those were the days.

That's a real nice looking DeRosa you have there. Great color. What gearing do you have, to compete with that mountain at our age?
Old 05-17-18, 08:04 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts

1983 Mark Nobilette custom road frameset.
This is a post to celebrate finally being able to upload a photo directly from my iPad. The photo shows a recent remake of my 1983 Mark Nobilette custom road racing frame to accomadate the ravages of age. The cockpit was redone to raise the bars by approximately 3” while shortening the stem by 4cm. I can now ride comfortably on the drops for extended periods of time. Vintage steel is the best !

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 05-17-18, 08:15 AM
RonH
Life is good

Good looking bike. Interesting paint job.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-17-18, 08:25 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Good looking bike. Interesting paint job.
Thanks. The paint job is not original, which is why you don’t see any Nobilette decals. It was done in the early 1990s by CyclArt in California.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 05-18-18, 01:46 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DGoodrow
I'm as Baby Boomer as they come...born in 51.
obviously there was a little confusion with that term,,, I'm a boomer as well , born fourth month 1950,,,,, it was a very good year......
Old 05-18-18, 02:08 PM
DGoodrow

Location: Just up the road from the Withlacoochee Trail-Holder Trailhead

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fastfingaz
obviously there was a little confusion with that term,,, I'm a boomer as well , born fourth month 1950,,,,, it was a very good year......
...that may be so, but sorry, my mother told me that 1951 was the very BEST year!
Old 05-18-18, 02:30 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
I've only been 65 for six days. What do I need to know? Why is there a special thread? I also have a 1958 bike, but its only 60.
Old 05-18-18, 03:38 PM
DGoodrow

Location: Just up the road from the Withlacoochee Trail-Holder Trailhead

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by browngw
I've only been 65 for six days. What do I need to know? Why is there a special thread? I also have a 1958 bike, but its only 60.
After reading the fine print...you'll have to come back when the bike reaches 65
Old 05-19-18, 10:29 AM
RonH
Life is good

I rode the Suncoast trail yesterday. First time in 4-5 years. I took the Lynskey for its first ride there. The Litespeed has been there several dozen times. Rode from SR50 to the north end (12 miles of "Florida hills" each way). Did a bit of exploring and ended up riding 30.8 miles. I'll admit now that the trail whipped my butt. When I got home my shoulders and neck were sore. This morning I compared the saddle/handlebar height between the Litespeed and the Lynskey. The Lynskey bars were a little less than a cm lower than the Litespeed so I put the last spacer below the handlebar to get the bar up a bit higher. Hope that will do the trick. I'll find out on the next long ride.

Old 05-20-18, 07:03 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I rode the Suncoast trail yesterday. First time in 4-5 years. I took the Lynskey for its first ride there. The Litespeed has been there several dozen times. Rode from SR50 to the north end (12 miles of "Florida hills" each way). Did a bit of exploring and ended up riding 30.8 miles. I'll admit now that the trail whipped my butt. When I got home my shoulders and neck were sore. This morning I compared the saddle/handlebar height between the Litespeed and the Lynskey. The Lynskey bars were a little less than a cm lower than the Litespeed so I put the last spacer below the handlebar to get the bar up a bit higher. Hope that will do the trick. I'll find out on the next long ride.
How have you found the ride on the Lynskey compared to the Litespeed?
Old 05-21-18, 07:15 AM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by jppe
How have you found the ride on the Lynskey compared to the Litespeed?
The ride is awesome. Even nicer than the Litespeed (if that's possible ). I guess that's to be expected. The Litespeed is made from 3/2 and 2/5 Ti whereas the Lynskey is made from 6/4 and 3/2 Ti. The better the frame material, the better the ride. That's what I was hoping for when I ordered the bike and it delivered. I'm VERY happy with the Lynskey.

Last edited by RonH; 05-22-18 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-21-18, 06:39 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Hello Wildwood! That is a great National Park and I have some very good memories......
That's a real nice looking DeRosa you have there. Great color. What gearing do you have, to compete with that mountain at our age?
The pic with the DeRosa is taken at the northern, Carbon River entrance. A more gentle elevation gain topping out about 3000ft, so a 42X26 gets me there.
Actually I'm headed to to the Park tomorrow, staying a night at the Paradise Lodge. Good weather and pre-Memorial Day crowds. Riding one day from Randle on a paved forest service road toward Mt. Adams. Then a second day riding from Paradise to the Grove of the Patriarchs and back, triple chainrings for the next 2 days. My form of altitude training. Here are the 2 bikes I'm taking.

Old 05-21-18, 07:38 PM
Aim2bFit

Bikes: 1989 Centurion Dave Scott Expert Black, 2009 Raleigh Venture 4.0 bronze

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carefull on those forest roads. The cougars seem to be getting hungry and I understand there are about 5k of them in the state. Concealed carry may be a good idea in that environment, or mace or a slab of bacon that you can throw down between you and anything on four legs.

I like the color of your Ratavus. Take care on those tight park roads too, with all of that traffic. Wish I was out there more often.
Old 05-22-18, 09:36 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
After 4 vials of blood taken a week ago, the results of a check-up were ok except cholesterol getting higher so... eat less animal fat.

Additionally, I was given a prescription for a Shingrix shot (prevents shingles). The doctor said this is the latest and the one to get because, no live vaccine is involved. I've passed on a shingles shot up to now but the doc said we all carry the chicken pox virus in us and those who get it are getting shingles from themselves-- it's not from being exposed to others with active cases of chicken pox or shingles. That was a new take on it to me. Although I guess your immune system has to be down to get the shingles, I remember hearing years ago if you live long enough you will get the shingles.

As a bike related matter, I was given the 2nd pneumonia shot that us geezers are supposed to get yesterday and rode a bike today so that was an easy one to take. From what I read the shingles shot can lay you low for a few days.

Last edited by McBTC; 05-22-18 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-24-18, 11:50 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The new shingles vaccine, shingrix, is vastly more effective than the original one, zostavax. Zostavax loses much of its effectiveness within five years. (About six years since I got it - getting the new one is on my list of things to do.)
Much higher likelihood of side effects with the new one, but generally nothing awful, and worth the risk, as I see it.
Old 05-24-18, 05:53 PM
RonH
Life is good

The ride is awesome. Even nicer than the Litespeed (if that's possible ). I guess that's to be expected. The Litespeed is made from 3/2 and 2/5 Ti whereas the Lynskey is made from 6/4 and 3/2 Ti. The better the frame material, the better the ride. That's what I was hoping for when I ordered the bike and it delivered. I'm VERY happy with the Lynskey.
I took the Lynskey out again today. The more I ride it the more I like it.

Old 05-25-18, 03:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Carefull on those forest roads. The cougars seem to be getting hungry and I understand there are about 5k of them in the state. Concealed carry may be a good idea in that environment, ......
Concealed (or any) carry is EVIL.
Old 05-25-18, 09:01 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Concealed (or any) carry is EVIL.
Now that's a bit harsh, but you are entitled to your opinion.
Old 05-26-18, 06:01 AM
RonH
Life is good

Let's not get into a political discussion about guns or CC. There's a forum for that.

Old 05-31-18, 04:15 PM
juniorswv

Bikes: schwinn Gateway...schwinn corvette 3 speed..stripped to bare metal..Huffy Cranbrook...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice thread...70 and been riding riding a schwinn gateway for the past 3 years and sometime my stripped down bare metal 62 schwinn corvette along with my 20 dollar huffy cranbrook I picked up at yard sale 3 years ago...the gateway is now single speed with a few upgrades...something about the one piece piece ashtabula crank....keep every simple..enjoy the thread....started riding when I turned 55....get out 3 or 4 times a week and use the bikes for easy store runs..good fun!!!
Old 06-01-18, 12:16 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Does anyone know what happened to one of our Forum members, I forget his forum ID.
Bill - lived outside of Pensacola Fl, participated a lot in 50+ and C&V.
I knew he was dealing with Parkinson's or MS or something...... but he seems to have disappeared completely.
Maybe I missed a post from him signing off the Forum.
He was one of those contributors who's always positive.

edit: saw a post: qcpmsame listed as banned.
What happened? Please PM me if it's not appropriate for all to see.
I don't visit "Pills and Ills".

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-01-18 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 02:50 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by juniorswv
Nice thread...70 and been riding riding a schwinn gateway for the past 3 years and sometime my stripped down bare metal 62 schwinn corvette along with my 20 dollar huffy cranbrook I picked up at yard sale 3 years ago...the gateway is now single speed with a few upgrades...something about the one piece piece ashtabula crank....keep every simple..enjoy the thread....started riding when I turned 55....get out 3 or 4 times a week and use the bikes for easy store runs..good fun!!!
Welcome to the old folks club. I too started when I was 54/55 y/o. I'm now 73 and try to get out 3-4 times a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.