Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

PSA: "Bike paths" (that are shared with pedestrians) are dangerous.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

PSA: "Bike paths" (that are shared with pedestrians) are dangerous.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 03:09 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
That's it, yo.
Good Lord, no.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-19-18, 03:11 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

I've met some new cycling people lately and to be honest I'm shocked at how safe they think MUPs are compared to suburban neighborhood street riding. When people ask where I ride and I say all over, and they respond by saying, "I ride only on the trails." I write them off as a potential riding buddy.

Old 07-19-18, 03:11 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by wgscott
This is precisely why Jesus invented the gravel bike.
A lot of our MUPs are gravel trails.

Old 07-19-18, 03:18 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by berner
Again on another day last week, I encountered a group of 10 or so cyclists milling around on and just off the bike path. I saw that one rider had a crash and was lying on his back in some discomfort and learned help was on the way. I stopped of course and was walking toward the group when a cyclist coming the other way at high speed started yelling to get out of the way. Only half the bike path was clear and he wanted that half even though he had to cross to the opposite side to get it. It evidently never occurred to this simian to slow. It is clear some people not only see the world differently, they see it way differently. So yes, bike paths can be dangerous.
So you stopped dead in the path when half of it was already blocked, without checking for other traffic? Sounds like you're part of the problem, my friend.

Old 07-19-18, 03:19 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Is there ever a place or occasion where a cyclist can cycle where it is safe? No dogs, cats, kids, family picnics, flea market, Sunday go to meetin' time, etc.? Is it ever the cyclist turn?
It's called the velodrome. Just make sure you watch out for the other cyclists.

Old 07-19-18, 03:22 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by bikecrate
So nowhere is safe. I've had my worst cycling injury on a MUP courtesy of wrong way cyclist and that includes being hit by a car on the road.
Sitting on your couch isn't safe.

Old 07-19-18, 03:30 PM
igosolo

Bikes: '17 Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod, '11 Cannondale Supersix, '13 Cannondale CAADX Disc, '13 Trek Superfly, '07 Cannondale System Six

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"On your left" means very different things to different people. Try it with a big group of pedestrians on the MUP. Some go diving to the right, some left, some freeze like a deer in headlights and others are oblivious you said anything at all, Might as well shout "grenade" as you get the same effect. I avoid the MUP and rarely ride it on the weekends. On the rare ride where I do, it means slow down and enjoy the scenery more that day. And when I pass, if I have a wide berth, I don't say a word as it is safer for everyone in my opinion. If I have to say something, I am totally ready to come to a dead stop.
Old 07-19-18, 03:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
So are the "river" trails in Southern California (SART, SGRT, LART) unique to SoCal? There are long stretches marked BIKES ONLY in big white letters. I can go 10 miles and not see anyone on foot. Sure, the closer you get to the beach, more people. But nothing like I'm seeing in posted images-- only The Strand has that kind of density, and it's basically a paved boardwalk following the coastline, with countless signs yelling at everyone about the speed limit-- which is like 5mph. Inland (at least) what we have of MUPs are very short in length, and sparsely populated. Especially in the summer. Not a lot of joggers and dog walkers when it's 103º.

I love the SART. I'm out there at the very least once a week. Not a lot of people out here, I must say:

Old 07-19-18, 03:38 PM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm posting this because it's mid-July, and there are a lot of new riders. 'Tis the season. Many people in this forum already know everything I'm about to say.

Mixed or multi use paths (MUPs) seem like they'd be an ideal place to ride, because there are no cars. They're physically separated from the road, so even the drunkest, textingest driver can't get you.

Instead, you get a lot of people moving unpredictably. There are dogs on 30 foot leashes, groups of people walking shoulder to shoulder, moms pushing strollers, and people on rental bikes who've never rode before in their life and don't know how to control a bike. All of these people will do things like move sideways at random, without checking their surroundings first. Pedestrians don't feel obligated to hold their line.

You can ride on these trails when they're a good alternative to bad roads. Just be aware that people do unpredictable things there, and take it slow. Dial it up to 400 watts when you get back on the road.
i will add to your list the three or four wide bodies, walking side by side, taking up most of the bike trail, all wearing ear phones, who are clueless to any cyclists coming up behind them !
Old 07-19-18, 03:38 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
You just have to be smart. In Washington State, motorcycles have to burn lights in the daytime, but no similar law for bicycles. How stupid is that? We are way harder to see.

Anyway, we have road bikes, ride them on the frigging road, obey the rules, don't wear BLACK and burn your lights.
Same schtick in Oregon.

Unfortunately, the most vocal elements of our local (Portland) cycling community are vehemently opposed to any suggestion that cyclists try to be visible, observe basic common sense practices, or pay attention for that matter. I see them get into trouble all the time because they do suicidal things such as passing on the right of vehicles that clearly are about to or even in the process of turning

I won't ride our local paths. My general feeling is that some measures intended to make cyclists safer have the opposite effect.
Old 07-19-18, 03:48 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Yes, MUPs are really dangerous if you are accustomed to moving your road bike right along. The trouble with MUPs is that there are essentially no rules. People act like they are in their private driveway. OTOH, IMO roads are safe if you follow the rules. The nice thing is that there are rules and people follow them.
That's an overgeneralization.

Man killed while biking on Rainier Ave, suspect arrested. RIP Alex Hayden

I rode on Rainier Ave for the first and last time a couple weeks ago. There's a stretch without a bike lane, but even the part in the bike lane felt dangerous and drivers whizzed by without giving a crap about 3-ft. Even my trip log showed I sped up considerably over pace to get the hell out of there.
Old 07-19-18, 04:13 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Yes, MUPs are really dangerous if you are accustomed to moving your road bike right along. The trouble with MUPs is that there are essentially no rules. People act like they are in their private driveway. OTOH, IMO roads are safe if you follow the rules. The nice thing is that there are rules and people follow them. In all my 65 years of cycling, I've had one unfortunate encounter with a driver who didn't see me. I never wore a blue jersey again, and never rode without lights in the daytime again. You just have to be smart. In Washington State, motorcycles have to burn lights in the daytime, but no similar law for bicycles. How stupid is that? We are way harder to see.

Anyway, we have road bikes, ride them on the frigging road, obey the rules, don't wear BLACK and burn your lights.
you've been lucky so far then. Ive lived and commuted to and from various parts of the city and people certainly don't follow the rules in seattle. I currently commute 17 miles each way into and out of the city on a mix of MUP, bike lanes, and mixing it up with traffic in the city, and I have a close call at least a few times a week. Lights and bright clothes don't do **** when they aren't even looking for you in the first place or see you as an obstruction to them getting where they need to go. I've been clipped by people on their phones, left hooked with bright lights on and run off the road because I wasnt staying far enough towards the shoulder even though I was going the speed limit. I still choose to ride almost everywhere I go and train on the roads but I'm aware of the hazards and accept them as a part of life
Old 07-19-18, 04:45 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Okay, this is becoming tiresome ladies and gentleman. First, its not safe on the roads because yield to vehicles. Then its not safe of the sidewalks because yield to pedestrian. Now we have the MUP and again, its not safe because slow down for pedestrian...again.

Is there ever a place or occasion where a cyclist can cycle where it is safe? No dogs, cats, kids, family picnics, flea market, Sunday go to meetin' time, etc.? Is it ever the cyclist turn?

Aren't we law abiding tax payers too? So why are we always relocated to the second-class citizen status? Does anybody ever yield for us?
Why do you think there's a place where you can just ride with reckless abandon? You basically can't do that anywhere in a car, either. You shouldn't do that anywhere while walking. Yes, you have to be alert and ride at a speed appropriate for conditions wherever you ride.

However, it's perfectly safe to ride on the right roads, for the most part. Sidewalks suck. The MUP is another sidewalk, only it doesn't go along a street. You can ride there, but it's not a suitable training ground.

The only places you can really just go crazy are velodromes, veloways, and racetracks (when you can get on one).
Old 07-19-18, 05:06 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I currently commute 17 miles each way into and out of the city on a mix of MUP, bike lanes, and mixing it up with traffic in the city, and I have a close call at least a few times a week. Lights and bright clothes don't do **** when they aren't even looking for you in the first place or see you as an obstruction to them getting where they need to go.
Conditions vary dramatically, but truly close calls (not the same as close pass) should be super rare. If they're not, it's a sign something isn't dialed in for the conditions at hand. I've experienced significant variability in riding conditions including an > 40 mile RT commute for over 10 years with only about 4 of those miles with any kind of bike path and could literally go months without seeing another cyclist (i.e. drivers not accustomed to working with cyclists). What works in one situation won't necessarily work in another, but staying out of trouble year after year takes a lot more than luck.
Old 07-19-18, 05:09 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
So a mofo on an Ofo.
someone in Seattle has printed off some Ms in the same font and has been putting them in front of the ofo on those bikes. :-)
Old 07-19-18, 05:33 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, MUPs can be pretty disorderly, kind of the Wild West. Maybe eventually more people will learn how to behave on them, but they have to become either more dense or more well-patrolled in order for that to happen any time soon.

On my short little Citibike commutes between the Port Authority and office, I'll take it easy and just stick to the protected bike lanes. Whenever other cyclists go zipping past, I want to tell them to ride in the traffic lane. I scrupulously avoid those bike lanes when I want to go fast - its quite easy and comfortable to keep up with traffic on the avenues, even on Citibike - and it feels a heck of a lot safer than trying to make similar speed in the bike lane.
Old 07-19-18, 05:43 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Conditions vary dramatically, but truly close calls (not the same as close pass) should be super rare. If they're not, it's a sign something isn't dialed in for the conditions at hand. I've experienced significant variability in riding conditions including an > 40 mile RT commute for over 10 years with only about 4 of those miles with any kind of bike path and could literally go months without seeing another cyclist (i.e. drivers not accustomed to working with cyclists). What works in one situation won't necessarily work in another, but staying out of trouble year after year takes a lot more than luck.
Conditions do vary greatly. When I say close call I mean I have to take a very direct action to avoid a collision when I have the right of way, not truly close calls. I've actually modified my commute to be longer because its safer. The most direct "bike friendly" route still results in too many poorly laid out points of conflict with cars in seattle, and things have gotten significantly worse in the past 5 years as traffic has gotten exponentially worse and drivers are getting more aggressive and impatient as well as distracted. With over 10,000 miles commuting I think I've been lucky and smart, knowing others with a quarter of the mileage who have been involved in worse. Haven't been carted off in an ambulance yet riding or racing, knock on wood.
Old 07-19-18, 06:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I might point out that I sometimes have to take direct action to avoid an accident in my car. Which doesn't mean I've ever had an auto accident - I haven't - but it's because I drive and ride like I'm piloting, with constant concentration on my surroundings and on my exact position, etc. Stuff happens. OTOH, I've never had a MUP accident either. Statistically there are more bike accidents per mile on MUPS, but fewer fatalities than on the road. I always try to remember that one injury can spoil my whole season, and I don't have that many left.
Old 07-19-18, 06:52 PM
toast3d

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, this is becoming tiresome ladies and gentleman. First, its not safe on the roads because yield to vehicles. Then its not safe of the sidewalks because yield to pedestrian. Now we have the MUP and again, its not safe because slow down for pedestrian...again.

Yes. There is a place.

Old 07-20-18, 09:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Sure, but then I could summarize my post as "if you mup is awful to bike on there might be another better mup to bike on in your area instead".
Then I misunderstood you at first. Sorry. This ^ is good advice.
Old 07-20-18, 11:46 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
That's true, not uncommon to hear of SUV's plowing into house...at least in FL.
Old 07-20-18, 11:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I was sitting in my office chair yesterday when a giant cockroach fell out of HVAC vent in the ceiling and nearly landed on me.
Old 07-20-18, 12:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
This is precisely why Jesus invented the gravel bike.
This reminds me that I need one of these T-shirts -

Old 07-20-18, 12:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I have decades of urban and suburban commuting experience …. most of it in cities judged to be the most deadly for cyclists, much of it before there were bike lanes.

Close calls are often the cyclist not riding sufficiently defensively. When you say
Originally Posted by redlude97
I have to take a very direct action to avoid a collision when I have the right of way, not truly close calls.
do you mean that if you rode into the path of a car it might hit you? Do you mean a car trying to sneak through a light? Did the driver see you?

Most drivers do Not want to hit cyclists … they are just clueless and inattentive. I find that slowing down, using hand signals, covering and uncovering my headlight (so ti flashes) or waggling the light all help. I also, from years of experience, know where not to go.

“Right of Way” is a neat concept … which has nothing to do with surviving on the road.

If you have survived commuting for 10,000 miles and have so many close calls, I’d say … well I won’t tell you a thing. In your case, my advice to myself was to be more defensive. Now I rarely have issues …. Drivers don’t always act right, but they rarely surprise me.

As CF-boy notes:
I might point out that I sometimes have to take direct action to avoid an accident in my car.
it is possible we notice stuff more on a bike because we feel more vulnerable … or maybe we don’t yield “right-of-way” because we “deserve” it … but cars always win that fight.

I find that the only times I have “disagreements” with cars is when I take the lane and they get impatient, and go into oncoming traffic to pass me, or when I insist on right of way even when I see they plan to go … and I only do that when I am ready to bail out and have escape routes.
I drive and ride like I'm piloting, with constant concentration on my surroundings and on my exact position, etc.
See … older and wiser than I.

The deal is this: Nowhere is safe, unless you actually live where there are bike-only paths … and even then you could meet someone salmoning, or people coming around a corner three-wide …. There is some local trails, and whether or not they are “bikes-only/” a blind corner is a blind corner. I need to slow down.

I find—as do you—that riding on roads is a safe and reasonable activity. After all, ten thousand miles of commuting … it isn’t like you don’t know how to manage.

If your main complaint is that there are idiots everywhere … yeah, true. Go find a solution to That and you deserve ten Nobel Prizes.

Mainly I try not to add to the number of active idiots … but as you can tell form some of my posts, my success rate is nothing to brag about.
Old 07-20-18, 01:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
So are the "river" trails in Southern California (SART, SGRT, LART) unique to SoCal? There are long stretches marked BIKES ONLY in big white letters. I can go 10 miles and not see anyone on foot.
Sammamish River Trail, on the east side of our metropolis, is a standard MUP.

You could rename at least part of our Iron Horse Trail the Snoqualmie River Trail, it's a rail trail open to all user types. Some parts of the trail are used for rock climbing, eg there are crags next to the trail and much of the trail space is used by a belayer and gear. I can't think of anything like you describe here. We have areas of trails that are mostly de facto bike trails because they're so remote, but that's a different thing, and not especially common.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.