Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Lezyne new GPS units look interesting

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Lezyne new GPS units look interesting

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 05:45 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
you need a premium account for Strava live segments.
But it sounds like you don't care about that so I'm not understanding why you need premium.
Old 08-02-18, 06:50 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
okay, needing premium strava (summit now) only makes sense in the context of a part of a discussion in this thread. I don't need it. Sorry for the confusion I seem to have caused some people. My point was that Strava was trying to monetize live segments twice, once from their paid subscribers, who are paying for live segments, and again from every device maker other than garmin. OTOH, strava just split their subscription to a la carte, which is something I support. I wish ride with gps did that with their recent changes.
Old 08-02-18, 09:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,181 Times in 771 Posts
Meh. All of the premium Strava features are gimmicky and not worth the money IMO.
Old 08-02-18, 11:07 AM
Sdjclevland

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not been using my mega xl too much only because I have been using the wahoo bolt more. Mainly just getting that set up how I want first mostly because it's about ten million times easier to use then the mega. I literally just went though a headache setting up live segments on the mega so this sucks they will pull like segments. But to be honest I don't think I need it. I thought it sounded awsome but I used it for the first time on the bolt yesterday and I could not tell what the hell was even going on. It is sweet to know exactly where it starts though

i am also super interestee in the garmin explore. I don't need all the crazy training features and would like better gps. Honestly the wahoo bolt is awsome but I just don't see well at all so I can't read the turn by turn on it and I can only have three or four days firelds at the most.

So so far my biggest take away between the bolt and mega is the bolt is easy and does everything for you automatic in terms of set up. I think I had to look at one thing online for how to use the bolt. The mega you have to tell it what to do more and is less automatic. I feel I am constantly looking up how to operate it and is just harder to use. Both seem to do the same thing.

Based on these things alone I would keep the bolt if I could see better but I am not giving up on the mega yet. The mapping feature is better on the mega because it gives you different route options alone with building your own route which the bolt does not.
Old 08-02-18, 11:26 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
$50 more than the most expensive Lezyne (Mega C and Mega XL) and ~1/3 the battery life of the Mega C and 1/4 the battery life of the Mega XL. $100 more than the Super GPS and 1/2 the battery life.
Better screen, better routing, rerouting when off course, maps built in, better support, easier to use, touch screen that's been tested and said to be almost as fast as using a smart phone, and a company that owns about 97% of the bike GPS market for only $50 more. Lastly, you can use a very inexpensive battery for longer run time. No contest.

Last edited by tunavic; 08-02-18 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-02-18, 12:16 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Sdjclevland
I have not been using my mega xl too much only because I have been using the wahoo bolt more. Mainly just getting that set up how I want first mostly because it's about ten million times easier to use then the mega. I literally just went though a headache setting up live segments on the mega so this sucks they will pull like segments. But to be honest I don't think I need it. I thought it sounded awsome but I used it for the first time on the bolt yesterday and I could not tell what the hell was even going on. It is sweet to know exactly where it starts though

i am also super interestee in the garmin explore. I don't need all the crazy training features and would like better gps. Honestly the wahoo bolt is awsome but I just don't see well at all so I can't read the turn by turn on it and I can only have three or four days firelds at the most.

So so far my biggest take away between the bolt and mega is the bolt is easy and does everything for you automatic in terms of set up. I think I had to look at one thing online for how to use the bolt. The mega you have to tell it what to do more and is less automatic. I feel I am constantly looking up how to operate it and is just harder to use. Both seem to do the same thing.

Based on these things alone I would keep the bolt if I could see better but I am not giving up on the mega yet. The mapping feature is better on the mega because it gives you different route options alone with building your own route which the bolt does not.
Interesting observation. I haven't even looked at the manual for the Lezyne. I just took it out of the box and started using it. Both the unit and the App seemed intuitive to me.
Old 08-02-18, 12:21 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by tunavic
Better screen, better routing, rerouting when off course, maps built in, better support, easier to use, touch screen that's been tested and said to be almost as fast as using a smart phone, and a company that owns about 97% of the bike GPS market for only $50 more. Lastly, you can use a very inexpensive battery for longer run time. No contest.
I'm not a fan of touch screen for a cycling computer. Rather have buttons.

The screen I don't care about. As long as it displays Cadence, Speed, Distance and turning navigation that's good 'nuff.

I think you meant you can carry a spare power pak to recharge the battery for longer run time. That process doesn't work very well when participating in a 12 or 24 hour bike race event.
Old 08-02-18, 01:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I am really tired of the touch screen on my garmin responding to sweat or rain. One really hot day it was about to delete my course, one more magic sweat drop and I would have been in trouble. But then again, there had already been 5 magic sweat drops to get me to that point, so one more wasn't entirely unlikely. I would get an out front mount, but I use a bag and the gps would be in the way. Not a big fan of buttons either. Can't be pleased, I guess
Old 08-02-18, 04:25 PM
kevlar_heart 
Helpless Bike Fiend

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 105, 2021 Felt Broam 30 GRX810, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Sport 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone would really want Strava Live Segments. I don't need an alert when I'm approaching a segment or to look down at a computer while I'm riding to look at my progress on a particular segment. Just ride it and check how you did after the ride is completed.
I guess I see your point, but it's a real downer to have the ability stripped aways. I have a couple of starred segments that would benefit from knowing how my pace is compared to my desired result. It's certainly not Earth-shattering, but if Strava is going top favor certain GPS over others, I'm wary of snapping up a Lezyne for fear other capabilities might suffer.
Old 08-02-18, 08:19 PM
tunavic

I'm not a fan of touch screen for a cycling computer. Rather have buttons.

The screen I don't care about. As long as it displays Cadence, Speed, Distance and turning navigation that's good 'nuff.

I think you meant you can carry a spare power pak to recharge the battery for longer run time. That process doesn't work very well when participating in a 12 or 24 hour bike race event.
Many of these people (including myself) rode an evening double century this past Saturday. Almost all were using a power pack with no issues.

Old 08-03-18, 04:40 AM
prj71

That's the beauty of the Lezyne. No power pack required.
Old 08-03-18, 11:26 AM
Sdjclevland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I got to ride more with the mega. If they are getting rid of live segments they need to not do that. The live segments on the mega is awsome. On the bolt I did not care for it a lot. In the mega it shows your time and has two bikes at the top of the scree racing each other to show where your at. It's pretty awsome. The bolt was kind of confusing me but mainly because it was so hard to see

The ability cto your own route in the app is cool, but does not work perfect. Like it was forcing me to drive in the wrong side of the road for a section where there was a split. lane. They need to allow you to use ride with gps or something like that also.

Also so the ability to ride with the screen sideways is great. But seriously. Though they need to redesign this thing and make it better looking. More sleek.

Oh and finally got the hr to work. I had to walk outside with it. Away from the other things my hr was paired to
Old 08-03-18, 11:34 AM
prj71

They need to allow you to use ride with gps or something like that also.
They do. It's been mentioned numerous times in this thread.
Old 08-03-18, 12:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
got it. My only reservation now is that it appears you have to use their website to load a route. I usually just hook my garmin up to my computer as a disk and upload a tcx file. Then if I want to upload an activity to a website, I hook it up to the computer after the ride, d/l, and then upload.

Granted, using their website on the road would be easier than what I do now, which involves finding a computer that doesn't want to format my garmin and doesn't reject it because of virus protection. That's not always easy.

Maybe I'm wrong about this too, hope so.
I think someone else may have addressed this, but...You can build a route directly in the Lezyne site, but it is clunky. (Unless they have fixed it lately.) I create routes in ridewithgps.com...Which entails an extra step: I have to then save that file someplace as a tcx, then load it into the Lezyne app. So, there is one extra step. Not a big deal, since I don't create a lot of routes.

You know, the one thing I don't like about my Super GPS is that when looking at its map, that is all I see...I think that with a Garmin unit, you can overlay speed and distance data over the map. (Is that right?) Does anyone know if the new Lezyne units are any better in this regard?
Old 08-03-18, 02:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

if you can do that with my garmin, I don't know how. Maybe on the cheaper ones with just breadcrumbs, but they don't really show a map
Old 08-05-18, 04:25 PM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
if you can do that with my garmin, I don't know how. Maybe on the cheaper ones with just breadcrumbs, but they don't really show a map
Even my old 705 lets you display multiple data fields on the top edge of the Map screen. Is that not what @Koyote is referring to?
Old 08-05-18, 07:11 PM
tunavic

Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Even my old 705 lets you display multiple data fields on the top edge of the Map screen. Is that not what @Koyote is referring to?
I have the Edge 810 and the map screen only displays the map, no overlay.

When I'm navigating a course I've loaded onto the unit, if I'm on my main data screen and a turn is approaching, the main screen temporarily displays the map and the turn and afterwards returns to the main data screen.
Old 08-06-18, 05:26 AM
WheresWaldo

@tunavic
Data fields overlayed on maps is per activity and also can be if/when navigating. @Koyote specifically mentioned Speed and Distance, Speed yes, Distance depends on what exactly he is asking for, Trip distance can be displayed.
Try this on your 810
After boot up
  1. Press setup button on screen
  2. Select Activity Profiles
  3. Choose any of the profiles presented
  4. Select Training Pages
  5. Scroll down and select MAP
  6. If it is not on select On
  7. Select Data Fields
That lets you put an overlay on top of the map which can be edited as you normally would on a Garmin screen. The defaults are Speed and Heading.

I am surprised the Lezyne units cannot do this.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 08-06-18 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-06-18, 07:20 PM
tunavic

@tunavic
Data fields overlayed on maps is per activity and also can be if/when navigating. @Koyote specifically mentioned Speed and Distance, Speed yes, Distance depends on what exactly he is asking for, Trip distance can be displayed.
Try this on your 810
After boot up
  1. Press setup button on screen
  2. Select Activity Profiles
  3. Choose any of the profiles presented
  4. Select Training Pages
  5. Scroll down and select MAP
  6. If it is not on select On
  7. Select Data Fields
That lets you put an overlay on top of the map which can be edited as you normally would on a Garmin screen. The defaults are Speed and Heading.

I am surprised the Lezyne units cannot do this.
Works exactly as you described. Thank you!

When I got to the map page it was off. Once turned on, by default it was on 2 data fields.

Much appreciated! Thanks
Old 08-07-18, 03:17 AM
Sdjclevland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. To add to this once it's on the Lezyne GPS Root site it's available on the Lezyne Ally app on your phone which then sends it to the GPS unit via Bluetooth.
where in the ally app do you sync ride with gps?
Old 08-07-18, 05:36 AM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

where in the ally app do you sync ride with gps?
You need to manually export the TCX file from Ride With GPS and then import it into the Lezyne site. No auto sync.
Old 08-07-18, 07:25 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by lightbulbjim
You need to manually export the TCX file from Ride With GPS and then import it into the Lezyne site. No auto sync.
^^^THIS.

Once it's on the Lezyne site it's available on the Ally app.
Old 08-07-18, 07:52 AM
WheresWaldo

Any full reviews yet, despite some of the reservations mentioned here I am still anxious to see Garmin's stranglehold lessened a bit. My 810 is getting a bit old and Garmin has moved on, so I am still considering a change.

@tunavic, no problem glad it is working for you.
Old 08-16-18, 02:59 AM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just noticed this: https://barflybike.com/collections/s...r-fly-4-mounts

Didn't realise third-party mounts were available. Nifty!
Old 08-16-18, 10:46 AM
Sdjclevland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any full reviews yet, despite some of the reservations mentioned here I am still anxious to see Garmin's stranglehold lessened a bit. My 810 is getting a bit old and Garmin has moved on, so I am still considering a change.

@tunavic, no problem glad it is working for you.
I have not noticed any yet. I ended up sending mine back. I got sick of having to upload a map every time I wanted to go somewhere different that was out of the range of the map I was in. I also could not get any computer to recognize the device. The lack of auto sync is also annoying as hell. I want this done for me I don't want to hook the thing up to my computer. Not saying the device is bad, just did not find it athat user friendly compared to others and little things were annoying me

That beig said i aid I just bought a garmin edge explore and am seeing that back also. Biggest reason is the. Screen is to for me to see. The map screen is nice but it shows you as this super tiny dot and I can't see that.

For the the money I would rather have the lezyne between the garmin edge and lezyne. But imo the wahoo bolt is much better then both, and also comes with a ou front mount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.