Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 06:17 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
haha ouch .. Wifey just got her cast off. can use a temp elastic brace for a while. she's so happy
Old 08-13-18, 07:50 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
haha ouch .. Wifey just got her cast off. can use a temp elastic brace for a while. she's so happy
Great!
Old 08-14-18, 02:14 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Thanks, mr. bill, for the speedy alert and semiotic intervention (orange). I've attempted to use the Town of Arlington Request portal to get this fixed. We'll see how that works.

To report a problem with the Minuteman in Arlington (or any other Arlington bike infrastructure problem of the sort that the DPW might reasonably take the lead on addressing), the portal URL is https://www.arlingtonma.gov/services...-answer-center. Lexington and Bedford each have their own mechanisms. Probably time to collect and post them in one place.

rod
I reported it with the wrong app. Sigh.

Thanks for reporting it. DPW has already been up there:

-mr. bill
Old 08-14-18, 06:11 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
This morning was wet and oh so foggy. As such I didn't bother with the side road sightseeing. I stuck to Monument st and 225. I'm afraid to say that little mr blinkie handlebar light doesn't provide enough illumination for me to see anymore. There isn't enough ambient light at 5:00 AM or certainly not before. I mounted my 1500 lumen L&M handlebar headlight on my Boone 7 cross bike and my 2500 Lumen L&M light on my Roubaix and will keep using them for a while.
Old 08-14-18, 11:27 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,737 Times in 890 Posts
Rolled out on the Rawland Nordavinden for 14 miles on the Minuteman between showers and before dinner.

As is often the case on the Minuteman, a stroller slalom was in progress.

Lexington: 8 out of 10 cyclists witnessed did not dismount to transit the work area through the 6' path left on the bridge during de-leading. Of the 2 who did, one was me, and the other dismounted when he saw the approaching police officer. The officer, as it happened, was using the Minuteman to go from point A to point B in Lexington Center, and didn't seem interested in scolding wayward cyclists. Two other riders rolled right through while he was crossing the bridge. What, they took it as a test of skill to clear the narrow passage?

Gathering clouds and scampering people in Lexington Center.

A squadron of Lime Bikes sat in the Lexington Visitor's Center bike rack, within line-of-sight of the Zagster dock.

Arlington: the DPW got on the stick, with more left to do.

rod
Old 08-15-18, 03:43 PM
rholland1951

Took the LHT for a relaxed, shady, mid-afternoon spin up to Depot Park, the air in the 80's and a little steamy as the sun coaxed water vapor from the wet earth.

The East Lexington Cairn Builder Culture has apparently now discovered commerce.

What's all this, then? Minuteman Woburn Street crossing, outbound.

Minuteman Woburn Street crossing and cul de sac, inbound.

Shady, leafy, green, and crabby.

The Shawsheen River is emphasizing water over mud just now, although it holds a little mud in reserve in case anyone needs to wallow.

While taking this photo, I got the "Are you ok?" question from a passing cyclist... Yes, thank you. Riding back through the little forest at the Bedford-Lexington border, I was struck with how permanent all the greenery looked, as if Summer would always be here. I know it won't, and the trees, in their nucleic acid clockwork, know it won't either, but it seems so real, so enduring... for about another month... Just a pause on the ride... Are you ok? No, now that you ask, Winter's coming, but first all the leaves will turn odd colors and die.

Didn't photograph that.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-15-18 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 05:41 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

This morning as my L&M headlight was set to medium (1500 lumens) I still managed to plant my Roubaix's 28mm tire right through the apex of a pothole on 126. Shorty afterwards as I approached the infamous Rte 2 crossing I had a chance encounter with a young man who looked as happy as could be to be bicycling while waiting for a green light. After a few moments of friendly chit-chat we parted ways as he headed up Lowell st and I headed up Monument st. On 225 there was some traffic cones warning road users of a bump. In reality it is a choke point where the lane is narrow and has a series of foot deep potholes separating new pavement from old. I weaved my way through that mine field undoubtedly with a Toyota sucking my back wheel. Eventually I made it on home for another 29.8 mile ride.
Old 08-16-18, 09:09 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I haven't gotten much saddle time lately, despite getting a new offset seat post and a new saddle (Charge Spoon) and itching to try them out. Today was the first day, just doing a daycare run and commuting to work... but I could tell my butt was happier, though there's probably still too much weight on my hands. Ah, the eternal search for the perfect position.

There were quite a few people out on bikes. At times I felt like I was in a city ending in -gen or -dam. Riding by Fresh Pond, I noticed that not only was all the vegetation cut down around the railroad tracks, but there were signs warning of construction and a couple engineers with theodolites doing surveying. It seems like Cambridge finally started work on the missing link between the Minuteman and the Paul Dudley path. Watertown-Cambridge Greenway - CDD - City of Cambridge, Massachusetts
Old 08-16-18, 07:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

took one of my last vacation days & had a bike day. strapped on some new pedals & got in 34 miles riding to Lowell & back on the ARRT & BFT. rode part of 27 so used my mirror again. didn't use it on the trails but put it on just to take a pic

had the trail to myself w few exceptions. gonna be lonely when the weather turns cooler & darker

tried out some new pedals. nice having a bigger platform to work with when uncleated
Old 08-16-18, 07:55 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by autonomy
seems like Cambridge finally started work on the missing link between the Minuteman and the Paul Dudley path
great city & state
Old 08-16-18, 10:23 PM
rholland1951

Wonderful photo!

rod
Old 08-16-18, 10:48 PM
rholland1951

Had a couple of hours in the mid-afternoon for a ride, and wanted a change of air, so took an 18-mile urban ramble around the Charles River Basin. Good day for it. Enjoyed the familiar scenery and the less familiar additions and alterations to it. This is a pleasant city, as cities go, and still feels like (my adopted) home. Took the Trucker DeLuxe with the 55mm Rat Trap Pass Extralights, and feared no irregularities.

Woman pursued by tree.

As I was nearing home, I hailed Jim Muller (@jimmuller), who was riding near Alewife. Hey Jim!

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 08-16-18 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-17-18, 04:40 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Hi, Rod. Yep, we exchanged greetings at Alewife. As usual I was too absorbed in the surroundings to think about stopping to chat. The commute is typically a, shall we say, focused ride.
Old 08-17-18, 06:38 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by rholland1951
Wonderful photo!
haha thanks. it's a fun one. I have others showing more of the mirror & attached to the glasses, but this one seemed more abstract & fun. BTW, you should have a show! I can't keep up with all your winners! love the traffic pic & the guy doing a moonwalk along the Charles!
Old 08-17-18, 08:26 AM
rholland1951

Pocky, good to see you posting here, you're one of the veterans of this thread whose presence is missed. And have fun with D2R2; I managed to talk myself out of that one. Please let us know how it goes.

rod
Old 08-17-18, 08:30 AM
pocky

Bikes: '00 Kona Yee Ha, '83 Schwinn World (fix), '96 KHS Montana Descent (w/ RS XC-32), '05 Fort Ro.SLC (totaled), '01 Burley Rumba tandem, '15 Mattioli R1, '14 Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike, '96 Fuji Marlboro folder (drops), '04 Jamis Satellite, '04 Giant TCX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, Rod! Will do! I should get onto this thread more often now that bostonfixed is mostly dying.

(FYI, I deleted the d2r2 question from here since I moved it to a separate thread at https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast/1152861-d2r2.htm !)
Old 08-17-18, 09:56 AM
mr_bill

So, just a some thoughts about Liming around town....

First surprise - over a dozen rides.

Even though I've been out of town travelling recently, and even though I have my own bike.

Second surprise - free?

I still haven't paid for a ride. The $20.00 that I put in my Lime Wallet is still there.

Between the signup coupon bonus, the complete your profile coupon bonus, the load your wallet coupon bonus, and several bonus bike coupons, not one ride has cost me anything.

Third surprise - bonus bikes.

The primary idea is that by giving you a coupon for riding a bonus bike (they show up with a money bag icon instead of a lime icon on the map), you are more likely to take that lime bike left in a remote location back to a more central location. But I've also noticed that they will assign a bonus bike if there are a cluster of them at an intersection or bus stop too, to try to spread them out a bit. Interesting. At first I felt guilty for taking advantage of the bonus bike coupons, but I got over that (see below).

Fourth surprise - vandalism and damage.

Most of the vandalism has been "minor", primarily people throwing trash into the bike basket, but that's very unpleasant. But one bike had a broken basket (all bent as if in a collision AND would not stay centered on the handlebar), another had bent fender stays, and another with a rubbing chain guard.

One act of vandalism was "major." Had I not been looking for the bonus bike nearby, I never would have noticed the lime bike that I rescued next to the Minuteman. After hauling it up the bank, I got over the guilt about the one dollar bonus bike coupons.

Fifth surprise - helmet.

I - just - can - not - feel - comfortable - riding - a - bike - without - a - helmet. That's just me. A couple of times I have passed on riding because I didn't have my helmet. So now I just carry it with me.

When I am far away from home, walking around with a helmet never feels - stupid. But walking around close to home with a just-in-case helmet feels - stupid. Maybe because in "travel" mode I usually carry a bag.

Find myself wanting a folding helmet.

Sixth surprise - parking problems.

Mostly people are figuring out how to park them on sidewalks where they aren't in the way, or at least no more in the way than the various utility boxes, periodical boxes, and telephone poles that "litter"our sidewalks.

However, I have moved a few a few feet to a more out of the way parking spot. It's easy, just pick up the back wheel and roll it on the front wheel.

More of an issue is they do get parked away from the "green" area to other towns, mostly just over the borders, but sometimes not. Yup, the "hole" between Arlington and Bedford typically has half-a-dozen or more bikes. They also managed to find their way into Belmont pre-official launch.

Seventh surprise - WE WILL CALL THE POLICE!

If you decide to move a bike, just do it carefully and only move it a short distance. One I lightly bumped while moving it and the built-in-alarm went off on me with robot voice warning that I was going to be in trouble. (BTW, I was *NOT* at all careful hauling the bike up the bank - and silence. Go figure.) Not a surprise - NOBODY cares about the alarm!

Eighth surprise - server issues.

So frustrating. Everything from logging me out and not letting me log in again, to not showing where any bikes are, to not UNLOCKING a bike (the app thinks the bike is unlocked, and it is not). (Sometimes it's like the early days of Pokemon Go.)

The good news is so far LOCKING the bike has been trivial and the app has always acked the lock.

Not so big a surprise - Déjà geocache.

Experienced this in Frankfurt too with DB Call a Bike. But mostly you can see the LIME bikes blocks away and just grab one. But sometimes using the app to find a bike feels very much like geocaching. The app brings you CLOSE, but sometimes no CIGAR. There is a button to "ring" the bike which can help in quieter neighborhoods.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-17-18 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-17-18, 10:28 PM
rholland1951

Took the LHT and rode East on Friday.

The Malden River looked a bit sullen outbound, obscured by haze or fog.

When I crossed that river again, towards the end of the day, a thundering downpour was in progress. No pictures of that, but the tires (Compass) and the brake pads (Kool Stop) worked well in very wet conditions. Good day for fenders.

rod
Old 08-18-18, 08:12 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by mr_bill
So, just a some thoughts about Liming around town....
thanks for taking the time to share all that! we were tempted to use a bike share while visiting DC last fall. lots of walking in that town! decided against it at that time but will keep an open mind to all the growing options. ever try those white Zagster bikes in Lexington?

Old 08-18-18, 12:21 PM
mr_bill

thanks for taking the time to share all that! we were tempted to use a bike share while visiting DC last fall. lots of walking in that town! decided against it at that time but will keep an open mind to all the growing options. ever try those white Zagster bikes in Lexington?

The one dock wonder? No, and unlikely I ever will.

I rode my bike to Lexington to go to my credit union. And right across the street is the forbidden LBS.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-18-18 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-18-18, 12:38 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

I rode my bike to Lexington to go to my credit union. And right across the street is the forbidden LBS.
Okay, now I'm curious. Which LBS is forbidden, and why and by whom? Not that I have many reasons to frequent any LBS, especially on in Lexington.
Old 08-18-18, 02:44 PM
Ghazmh

I am beginning to see them as limestrosities littering the sidewalks
Old 08-18-18, 06:02 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Okay, now I'm curious. Which LBS is forbidden, and why and by whom? Not that I have many reasons to frequent any LBS, especially on in Lexington.
It’s a running joke in our home - nothing wrong with the shop, but they carry some local drop dead gorgeous titanium bikes that can hit five figures.

We call them n+NaN (which equals NaN for all values of n.)

-mr. bill
Old 08-19-18, 04:45 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

It’s a running joke in our home - nothing wrong with the shop, but they carry some local drop dead gorgeous titanium bikes that can hit five figures.

We call them n+NaN (which equals NaN for all values of n.)
Ah. They have been very good to us and me on several occasions. But I do understand the NaN part.

A few times I' have suggested we consider a light titanium tandem. The domestic response has always been the same.
Old 08-19-18, 04:08 PM
E53 
Chuggin' Along

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
A funny thing happened today. I got to a "T" intersection, and at about the same instant, three bikes (including mine) stopped at all three stop signs. Now it was nice day today, and there were a fair amount of bikes around, but what are the odds of that happening? It was at the "T" where Maple and Rangeway meet. in Carlisle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.