Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trek 520 vs Surly Disc Trucker 26"

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.
View Poll Results: Trek 520 or Surly DT 26"
Trek 520
37.14%
Surly Trucker Disc 26"
62.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Trek 520 vs Surly Disc Trucker 26"

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 07:44 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckySailor
The Trucker was a great bike indeed, but I felt like I was driving a semi truck (...)
I can vouch for this. I have a 2016 Disc Trucker with 26" wheels, full fenders and Tubus racks front and rear. I can report that it rides like a tank. It really doesn't seem to matter if it's loaded or not. It's not going to go fast or respond with agility. I often tell my bicycling friends it only likes to go 10 -14 mph. It doesn't matter how much force you put into the pedals, it just says "Nope, we're only going to go 14, max. I don't care how hard you work." (For comparison, I tend to average ~18+ mph on a regular road bike). It's best to consider this a charm; all you can do is relax and enjoy a leisurely pace, although charming, that sometimes isn't too fun. Loaded, it rides insanely smooth and stable, but if you're going to use it unladen, be advised you'll be riding a brick.
Old 09-05-18, 08:31 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
It never ceases to astonish me how there can be such a wide number of differing views on the ride quality of the LHT/DT.

But as someone who wants to own one, one day, I always love reading good things about them.
Well sometimes it's hard to tell if folks are talking about the ride comfort (ie shock absorbency) or handling or even speed. Trucker is heavy with the most relaxed geometry so it's not going to climb or descend like a sportier bike but as far as the general feel, I don't have a problem. The stiff frame can actually feel a bit racy at times, doesn't flex much under hard pedaling; also with the long top tube one can really stretch out in an aero position w/o upsetting the fore-aft weight balance.
Old 09-05-18, 08:39 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Well sometimes it's hard to tell if folks are talking about the ride comfort (ie shock absorbency) or handling or even speed. Trucker is heavy with the most relaxed geometry so it's not going to climb or descend like a sportier bike but as far as the general feel, I don't have a problem. The stiff frame can actually feel a bit racy at times, doesn't flex much under hard pedaling; also with the long top tube one can really stretch out in an aero position w/o upsetting the fore-aft weight balance.

It will probably be a few years(maybe 2020) before I finally get a Trucker, as I recently bought a Troll frame instead, but I am reasonably confident at this point in time, that I will be very happy with it.
Old 09-06-18, 01:41 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett A
I can vouch for this. I have a 2016 Disc Trucker with 26" wheels, full fenders and Tubus racks front and rear. I can report that it rides like a tank. It really doesn't seem to matter if it's loaded or not. It's not going to go fast or respond with agility. I often tell my bicycling friends it only likes to go 10 -14 mph. It doesn't matter how much force you put into the pedals, it just says "Nope, we're only going to go 14, max. I don't care how hard you work." (For comparison, I tend to average ~18+ mph on a regular road bike). It's best to consider this a charm; all you can do is relax and enjoy a leisurely pace, although charming, that sometimes isn't too fun. Loaded, it rides insanely smooth and stable, but if you're going to use it unladen, be advised you'll be riding a brick.
I have a 700c LHT of around the same time period and I regularly ride it at 18mph averages. Even did a century with it at 18mph (breaks included, which there were four of). Though there were groups me and my friend tagged along with at times, but were just us two sharing pulls at 21mph. It's not like the bike is inherently slow since that depends on bearings, aerodynamics, drivetrain, tires and all that. My LHT in road configuration has schwalbe g-one allrounds at 40mm (those are some seriously fast tires, I'll tell you), Sram 1x11 road configuration, EXTREMELY long riding position which is subsequently also pretty dang aerodynamic, and pretty standard bearings. Though after that ride I did notice all of the bearings in my Hope Mono RS rear hub were pretty spent AND one bearing was actually cracked, so that may have slowed me down some. Shows that even cartridge bearings should be looked at at times. These were three years and at least 8k touring miles old. And the LHT is also my commuter so there's that too
Old 09-06-18, 01:20 PM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Originally Posted by elcruxio
I have a 700c LHT of around the same time period and I regularly ride it at 18mph averages. Even did a century with it at 18mph (breaks included, which there were four of). Though there were groups me and my friend tagged along with at times, but were just us two sharing pulls at 21mph. It's not like the bike is inherently slow since that depends on bearings, aerodynamics, drivetrain, tires and all that. My LHT in road configuration has schwalbe g-one allrounds at 40mm (those are some seriously fast tires, I'll tell you), Sram 1x11 road configuration, EXTREMELY long riding position which is subsequently also pretty dang aerodynamic, and pretty standard bearings. Though after that ride I did notice all of the bearings in my Hope Mono RS rear hub were pretty spent AND one bearing was actually cracked, so that may have slowed me down some. Shows that even cartridge bearings should be looked at at times. These were three years and at least 8k touring miles old. And the LHT is also my commuter so there's that too
The fact you can achieve that kind of speed on a LHT is certainly impressive! You're really putting out some wattage there.

From your description of your bike, I'd say the only thing our bikes have in common is the frame material and the Surly stickers (and the color? Is yours red?). It's interesting to hear that you can set a LHT up for performance and actually extract some out of it. Mine's stock (26", with 2 inch marathon tire and a Brooks). It's nearly 30 pounds dry. It's slow and comfortable. If someone wants to split the difference between workhorse and sprite commuter, I'd stick with the common wisdom and say a LHT/DT isn't the best option.

Last edited by Brett A; 09-06-18 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-06-18, 05:30 PM
brushspin

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright chaps I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a Disc Trucker in Brilliant Blue 54cm frameset 26" wheel. I'll be getting it on Monday so expect pictures soon. Going to research the parts that will go into this bike for the next week.

Last edited by brushspin; 09-06-18 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-06-18, 06:59 PM
Brett A
Word.

Originally Posted by brushspin
Alright chaps I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a Disc Trucker in Brilliant Blue 56cm frameset 26" wheel. I'll be getting it on Monday so expect pictures soon. Going to research the parts that will go into this bike for the next week.
Congratulations! I love when people get new bikes. Looking forward to seeing more.
Old 09-06-18, 10:14 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by elcruxio
Pretty fast esp with the semi-wide tires, but after all the "sluggish" Trucker geometry is a lot like old-time racing bikes.

Alright chaps I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a Disc Trucker in Brilliant Blue 54cm frameset 26" wheel. I'll be getting it on Monday so expect pictures soon. Going to research the parts that will go into this bike for the next week.
Nice, Trucker is so versatile with the various components & accessories that can be fitted, kinda fun to see folks' different setups.
Old 09-06-18, 11:33 PM
brushspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright gentlemen. I am officially still awake at 1:30am and ripping my hair out. This is the first new bicycle I've ever bought, lone and behold I found this (ttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u1_H6gbuJ0T5Hhk2fjZxO5lWEHhPhOP_PqA05edgBGQ/edit#gid=0). Sorry I'm not allowed to post hyperlinks just yet so please copy paste and add the "H" at the beginning of the URL. A spreadsheet of long haul owners, their height, inseam, and which frame size they own. They wrote notes on how they find the bike to fit their particular size. I'm panicking because I think I purchased a frame that will be too small on me. I test rode the disc trucker in 56cm in nyc last week and thought the frame was a bit long TT wise. Now after looking at what the majority of people in my height (180cm) and inseam (84cm) ride I think made a mistake. QBP pro deals are non returnable or exchangeable, however, I have not received the package yet, it should be delivered on monday. I bloody botched it boys. I got excited and now I'm going to bed miserable. I feel like such a fool.
Old 09-06-18, 11:45 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
....I found this (ttps://docs.google.....

...They wrote notes on how they find the bike to fit their particular size...

....I test rode the disc trucker in 56cm in nyc last week...

...after looking at what the majority of people....

this is the problem with crowdsourcing your life.

what does it matter what other people your height (not all physical attributes equal) choose?

you test rode the bike. you ordered the size that fits you.

go to bed.
Old 09-07-18, 12:03 AM
brushspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
this is the problem with crowdsourcing your life.

what does it matter what other people your height (not all physical attributes equal) choose?

you test rode the bike. you ordered the size that fits you.

go to bed.
Sorry mate, it's just that I don't want to make a mistake for such an important life choice given that she will be my year round ride. I've never purchased a new bike and I never imagined myself making such a high ticket item purchase. It's the jitters. I've got them.
Old 09-07-18, 03:26 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett A
The fact you can achieve that kind of speed on a LHT is certainly impressive! You're really putting out some wattage there.
I was actually pretty surprised myself of how fast I've become. I'm guessing that's the max speed I can get to with putsing around and riding for fun. If I want to extract even more speed I suppose I have to start doing some polarized workouts so extra high mileage and HIIT. I kinda want to get there though because I have a dream of ultracycling and there one needs to be crazy fast to be able to sleep a good nights sleep every day.

From your description of your bike, I'd say the only thing our bikes have in common is the frame material and the Surly stickers (and the color? Is yours red?). It's interesting to hear that you can set a LHT up for performance and actually extract some out of it. Mine's stock (26", with 2 inch marathon tire and a Brooks). It's nearly 30 pounds dry. It's slow and comfortable. If someone wants to split the difference between workhorse and sprite commuter, I'd stick with the common wisdom and say a LHT/DT isn't the best option.
Personally I think otherwise. The LHT is a optimal commuter all rounder because it has the cargo capacity if it is required (I commute with a pannier so I have racks attached in normal circumstances) and the tire space for wide but durable commuting tires or spiked tires. While it's not zappy like a crit bike it does hold its own in traffic with no issues whatsoever. And its durability is also something I view as a bonus because I make more mistakes when I'm commuting since I'm often tired either going in the morning or coming tired from all the stuff I've done during the day.
Old 09-07-18, 11:19 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Alright gentlemen. I am officially still awake at 1:30am and ripping my hair out. This is the first new bicycle I've ever bought, lone and behold I found this (ttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u1_H6gbuJ0T5Hhk2fjZxO5lWEHhPhOP_PqA05edgBGQ/edit#gid=0). Sorry I'm not allowed to post hyperlinks just yet so please copy paste and add the "H" at the beginning of the URL. A spreadsheet of long haul owners, their height, inseam, and which frame size they own. They wrote notes on how they find the bike to fit their particular size. I'm panicking because I think I purchased a frame that will be too small on me. I test rode the disc trucker in 56cm in nyc last week and thought the frame was a bit long TT wise. Now after looking at what the majority of people in my height (180cm) and inseam (84cm) ride I think made a mistake. QBP pro deals are non returnable or exchangeable, however, I have not received the package yet, it should be delivered on monday. I bloody botched it boys. I got excited and now I'm going to bed miserable. I feel like such a fool.
I' slightly shorter, than you, by about half an inch, and ride the 56, but I could ride the 54, and so can you. Don't worry about it. You didn't like the feel of the 56 when you tried it. As you can see from the spreadsheet you posted, others your height ride the 54 as well. Just be sure to keep the steerer tube uncut uncut until you figure out the fit.
Old 09-07-18, 11:36 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Sorry mate, it's just that I don't want to make a mistake for such an important life choice given that she will be my year round ride. I've never purchased a new bike and I never imagined myself making such a high ticket item purchase. It's the jitters. I've got them.
It’s not like you are getting married to the bike. If it’s not perfect, you can sell and get another. No separation, divorce, alimony, child support, visitation. Literally just sell it and get another.
Old 09-07-18, 07:07 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by phughes
I' slightly shorter, than you, by about half an inch, and ride the 56, but I could ride the 54, and so can you. Don't worry about it. You didn't like the feel of the 56 when you tried it. As you can see from the spreadsheet you posted, others your height ride the 54 as well. Just be sure to keep the steerer tube uncut uncut until you figure out the fit.
I'm 5'11", same situation basically as phughes. Actually if I was to purchase again I might go for the 54cm frame which would allow to use a Thudbuster etc suspension seat-post. It's usually easy enough to get a longer stem & I figure that with the Trucker's generous fork rake, a 1" longer stem won't mess up the handling.
Old 09-07-18, 10:15 PM
phughes

I'm 5'11", same situation basically as phughes. Actually if I was to purchase again I might go for the 54cm frame which would allow to use a Thudbuster etc suspension seat-post. It's usually easy enough to get a longer stem & I figure that with the Trucker's generous fork rake, a 1" longer stem won't mess up the handling.
Yeah, I really don't have room for a ThudBuster, and that is a good point to make. I am fine with that. I like the way mine is set up, and bought it knowing it would be like this. I do at time wonder what a 54 would feel like, but I then think of all the reasons I went with the 56, and I'm fine. The thing is just unbelievably stable for me, at any speed. I really love this bike.
Old 09-08-18, 01:58 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
My situation.

I am 5'11" + and ride a 54cm LHT frame. With a Thudbuster.

As several people mentioned, a smallish frame can be extended somewhat with the seat post and headset spacers. More difficult to adjust a largish frame...
Old 09-08-18, 02:30 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I came with dual Thudbusters as standard equipment, which have more travel than Cane Creek's version.
Old 09-08-18, 02:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Aka Legs, even thudbuster suggests getting off the saddle for big hits you anticipate..

I have a ST for a frame without much post out of the frame..
Old 09-09-18, 08:04 PM
DropBarFan

Trucker's uncut steer tube is pretty long after all, a 54cm frame with full length of steer tube would still allow a fairly upright position. I removed 2" IIRC before building up the bike & installed a riser stem which worked out OK but hadn't realized that availability of riser stems is somewhat limited. Best tactic might be to leave steer tube uncut & do enough riding/experimenting with stem/handlebar etc before getting excess removed. Using a lot of spacers with non-riser stem might look a bit ungainly but OTOH one might be able to use a better-quality lighter stem; also, riser stems can complicate getting the right fit. BTW I'm using a Redshift ShockStop stem which gives some cushion w/o undue flex. Their customer service is excellent; now they're introducing a suspension seat-post which requires 90mm of space vs 98 for Thudbuster ST.
Old 09-10-18, 11:55 AM
R.Armishaw

Bikes: 2016 Surly DiskTrucker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I briefly rode a Trek 520 around the showroom in Edmonton. Yes, just the showroom, because the store was super anal and protective about their bikes (but that is another story). I really liked the feel of it (no racks/panniers). But, in the end, I decided to go with a Disk Trucker 26" (From Red Bike - amazing store) and couldn't be happier. I loaded it with front and rear Tubus racks, Ortlieb panniers on the front, and Arkels on the rear. I packed it off to Iceland (Total weight around 65Lbs). In the highlands, I encountered some seriously rough roads (washboards that rattled my spine and teeth for hours). I was really worried that the frame would snap. In the end, all was well. The bike handled it much better than I did. Would the Trek handle it? Probably, but I can't say for sure. All I can say is that my Surly is a tank. 800km of Iceland (rough roads, 20+ river crossings, etc) and it handled it like a champ.
Old 09-10-18, 07:32 PM
DropBarFan

Hard to imagine what would bend a Trucker frame other than a serious crash or determined airline abuse. Even if 520 uses the same gauge tubing, 26" Disc Trucker has the edge of allowing wider tires for adventure tours, snow etc.
Old 09-17-18, 11:34 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by gauvins
My situation.

I am 5'11" + and ride a 54cm LHT frame. With a Thudbuster.

As several people mentioned, a smallish frame can be extended somewhat with the seat post and headset spacers. More difficult to adjust a largish frame...
Not really, a shorter stem if necessary, but I use the stock length stem on a 56 LHT, and I am 5'10.5". The nice thing about the larger frame is I don't have to use a huge stack of spacers to get the bars level with the saddle. A 56, or 54 will work fine, the only real difference will be what has already been mentioned, the 54 will give more room for a Thudbuster type seat post.
Old 10-07-18, 10:14 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
very old thread but still.....

Well I am getting a Surly long haul something soon...go to a good local bike shop, get fully measured and analysis, and make sure i get the right bike. I've never doe it that way before...I usually just ordered my favorite, a Fuji whatever (s-12-s in the old days....'Touring' about 18 years ago)...but I ran into so many Surly folks touring in the last few years I want to get on the bandwagon. Plus I want a decent "hybrid" (I want to do SOME off road stuff, if not really "dirt biking.") in the next few years, so I want a tougher frame and surly sounds like one. I'm hopelessly hooked on touring the "interior pacific coast" (much like the Sierra Cascade route but with numerous spurs), I have done it 4 of the last five years and have already booked to do it again next year.

A BAD DAY TOURING BEATS A GOOD DAY WORKING! (not that i would know about working since I am retired).
Old 01-05-19, 01:24 AM
megaclyde

Bikes: Kona Sutra, Surly Ogre, Kona Rove ST, Trek Stache 5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP is this thing built up yet? Let us have a look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.