Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 09-20-18, 10:54 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
5x3min power intervals with no separate sets on Monday. A really short KOM hunt lunch time roll from the house Tuesday. A local hill venture ride Wednesday.

Tuesday I had something happen I hadn't felt in a while. I had given a hill a gasping couple minutes and then farted around. Got back to the house and tried a little hill of about 45 sec to a minute. I usually can hill sprint and "taper" the effort if I didn't pace it well.

Man, I just blew up this time. I hadn't eaten lunch yet, and maybe the match wasn't there. Looked at the data back at home and I was doing 800w for about 20sec and over 700 for 30sec. Usually I just hold about 550 for the minute.

Just didn't feel like I had a "fuse" on that effort like normally. It hit like bricks, DONE.

Wednesday went well. Got some good time in the "power interval" and "threshold" ranges. So a 5/6 zones for the stuff I use. About 15min at or above 20min power, mostly at or above 3 minute power.

I forgot I had the 1x cross bike with the 11-28. After hammering a few hills in workout mode, that 40/28 combo as easiest started to work me a little bit.

Still making progress. Which is good.
Old 09-22-18, 08:04 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 3,085 Times in 1,634 Posts
Put in a mostly mellow ~5 hrs today surrounding the SDBC A ride. I hammered the front a little bit in the beginning b/c I can't control myself but backed off and sat in after which was my objective.

Taking two days off, doing ~6 over T/W and then driving up to Big Bear early friday to put a 2-3 hr trail ride in before the Grizzly 100 MTB race on Saturday!
Old 09-24-18, 09:22 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Such a great trip to Utah. I was there for a work conference in St George but tacked some vacation days onto the trip to head to Moab.

Wow, St George was great. Wire Mesa, which I already posted about. Did a recovery ride on the bike path and dirt roads in the geologically striking Snow Canyon State Park.

Rode the Hurricane Cliffs area in Hurricane, lots of fun flow trails, climbing up to a Mesa top. Really interesting rock that seemed to be a fossilized sea bed, huge slabs of rocks, challenging for me to ride. 19 miles, around 1000 ft climbing, not too hard, just an enjoyable easy ride.

Then on to Moab... Back in July, I attended the Trek Dirt Series in Mammoth Lakes, CA. On day 1, I rode with an instructor who literally somehow took me from refusing to ride a 10 inch drop in the morning skills session to riding black diamond trails on the afternoon ride. Something about the way she teaches just clicks with me. So I got her contact info. She lives in Moab. Day 1 in Moab was an instructional ride with he. I wanted to work on technical climbing in anticipation of going to Sedona over Thanksgiving.

Again, such great instruction. We rode the Klondike Bluffs area. So hard, climbing those rocks. But tons of success, it was awesome. Then mid ride she says to me, “hey, do you want to walk down and see the dinosaur tracks?” Yes!

The next day I rode Dead Horse Point State Park trails. “Easy” by Moab standards, which was great, I was so tired from the technical climbing session. But I still found plenty of challenges, and epic scenery. Got to this rocky bit of the trail, stopped, looked at it, and then rode right up it. Actually more intimidating to look at than hard to ride. 14 miles, less than 1000 ft climbing.

Finally on our last day in Moab, I rode a trail system called Navajo Rocks. Really great trails, so well-designed. Full of interesting experiences- lots of slickrock, regular chunky rock, sand, normal trail. Cool sections, like riding off camber slickrock along the base of a bluff or winding your way up onto the top of an enormous rock. Rode all kinds of rocky bits that I would have walked just a few days before. It was so hard and I was all-over tired by the end- arms, core, legs, glutes, everything. Delicious tired. 18 miles/1700 ft climbing. Hugely rewarding and epic.

Around 110 miles, 7000 ft of climbing, 800ish TSS. Great riding, great trails, great instruction. Zero complaints.
Old 09-24-18, 10:36 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

So cool! I wanna MTB Moab now!!!
Old 09-25-18, 08:13 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by TMonk
So cool! I wanna MTB Moab now!!!
I seriously wanted to move there. Husband said WTF, no.

Sad.
Old 09-25-18, 10:35 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

ha! The things we sacrifice
Old 09-25-18, 09:12 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I'll be in Moab next weekend for Outerbike with my brother. I did this event last year, had a blast and I'm going back. We'll ride navajo rocks (great trail, as you mentioned @heathpack), mag7 (bit more flowly dh-ish stuff), amasa back (haven't done this one before, but looks verytechy with drops) and The Whole Enchilada. First three on demo bikes. Last one I'll have my own bike and my brother is gonna rent something.

I rode my road bike today (albeit on the trainer) for an abated tabata set. 38 minutes with 4 sets of 20 on, 10 off for 4 minutes with 4 minutes rest. Meant to do 8 minute sets but programmed it into Zwift wrong.

Old 09-26-18, 12:34 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Went mountain biking a few weeks ago - really, I just ended up riding some dirt roads on the mountain bike. I noticed things seemed weird, and when I got off the bike, I realized the rear shock was fully compressed. I took it to the shop, and I only had 6 psi in it. It should have been closer to 150. They pumped it up, and it's holding some air. The shop found several other issues with it, but told me not to bother fixing them. The bike is a more than 10-years-old 26er, and they are worried that if they try fixing or adjusting things, something may break that can no longer be fixed/replaced. Their advice was to ride it until it died then replace it with something more modern.
Old 09-26-18, 05:22 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Sunday I hit a new 10min power while holding back a whole bunch, which was neat. Today I tried to hold the same power for 15min and only got 7min in before I knew I was on a garbage day and called it. Then I tried to do a 25min thing at a power I knew I could do cuz I've done it before with ease, and got about 5 minutes in before I had to back off. Promptly went into tourist mode and enjoyed the views for the last hour of the ride. Sometimes you've got it, sometimes you don't!
Old 09-27-18, 06:32 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Not really sure what this is a commercial for, but the spoof on fitness watches is fantastic: "Send calories to your enemies!"

Old 09-27-18, 12:01 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Impromptu 75% method ramp test at lunch. Much easier than 20min of hell. I chose the "not an elite rider" wattage amount for the ramp. Cause, I'm not.

Made it thru 400 and toast. That's a gain from Winter/Spring. That means there is hope sometime soon of a 300w 20min number. 300 at 20min and 69kg would be nice for me. Plenty to fart around doing the things I like to do and have time for.

I just like to get far enough against a goal that going in, I'm not wasting a lot of mental and physical stress on a longer test.

As a Cat 5 schmuck who doesn't race much, a 20min test is a bit taxing if done truly all-out.
Old 09-28-18, 05:41 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

****ed up my knee crashing my mtbyesterday and pulled the plug on the gravel race/ride I was supposed to do tomorrow. Tried to hit the gym this morning, did my upper body stuff, went to squat and my knee doesn't bend right. Tried to dealift and realized my knee still wasn't bending right and I was just lifting the weight with my back so I went home. Probably should've got stitches for one of the puncture type wounds I got, but I glued it back together. Still a little seepy 24hrs later.

I guess off season is an okay time to injure yourself, right?
Old 09-28-18, 07:37 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Ugh @Ttoc6. Don’t break yourself.

I did squat this week, it was a chaotic week. Just an hour JRA on the TT bike. Heading to Big Bear tonight to ride a little mtb though. Looking forward to it bigly.
Old 09-30-18, 08:57 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Speaking of Big Bear, got home last night from the Grizzly 100k (10,000+ feet vertical) mtb race in Big Bear, mostly single track. The ride took 7:16 elapsed which was a bit longer than I had thought, and about half-way down the standings. I spent about 10-15 minutes stopped for pee breaks, filling up my water or switching around food items in my pockets. I estimate that I ate ~1,200 cal during the ride of cliff bars, stinger waffles and gels.

I'm happy with my ride, and I can't wait to come back next year! I paced the ride very conservatively, knowing that I was in over my head and that I didn't want to blow up. I was able to finish very strong, and didn't get passed (passed 5 more riders) during the finial ~30k after I topped the big Radford climb. I felt good at the end. For some context, I was able to drive home basically right away, when I had planned for laying/sitting down for an hour and drinking spots drinks if necessary .

The course features the dreaded Radford climb, 5 miles of rocky ~9% grades with 4,000+ feet of climbing. It takes the fast guys an hour to climb it, me about 15 minutes more than that. "Fast guys" warrants some explanation here - this is not a USAC categorized race where I would be with other MTB (racing) beginners. It's put on by the National Ultra Endurance (NUE) MTB series, and is mass-start with a start list that featured David "Tinker" Juarez (former MTB olympian), various pro roadies and a bunch of local Cat 1 road riders. Also, there was a TWELVE YEAR old kid that finished the event with his dad, about 10 minutes before me!

Next year I think that 6:45 is doable but I want to target 6:30. With some more focus, experience with the course, and harder, metered efforts up Radford and Skyline I feel I could have finished 20 or so minutes faster this year. This course isn't all about the climbs - the single track and descents are technical enough that there is a lot of time to be gain (or lost in my case) by not riding it smoothly.

Overall I am stoked for the event and the kind of effort it demands both physically and mentally. In addition to the grueling nature of the course, it's hard to stay focused for 6+ hrs! It is MTB after all - gotta keep a constant eye on the front wheel and always be thinking about the smoothest way across an obstacle.

Just to put some perspective into the depth of talent - my finishing time was (again) ~7:16 was about half-way down the start list. The winner this year finished sub-5 at (4:53)

Lastly, @Heathpack I imagine that you are either on the trail to Skyline already or getting ready to leave. Have a great ride!!! As you can tell the weather is perfect right now. I love it up there!

Last edited by TMonk; 10-01-18 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-30-18, 02:21 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

That is ridiculous. Nice work!
Old 09-30-18, 02:42 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Watched worlds this morning and my knee is feeling better every day so I got out for a ride. All good except for high cadence stuff and out of the saddle where I'm getting twinges. Still can't walk down stairs properly either, but I seem to be rallying quicker than expected.
Old 09-30-18, 06:27 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,472 Times in 1,448 Posts
@TMonk Epic
Old 09-30-18, 09:51 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

@Tmonk, awesome ride.

It was perfect weather this weekend, rode Hanna Flat yesterday as an opener. Then today was to be our version of epic but my friends weren’t feeling it, they turned back at the top of Knickerbocker and then went down Cabin 89. I was still pretty wiped from Moab (Sedona did the same thing last year, technical climbing really kills my legs) but I wanted to do more then that. Climbed up Upper Pine Knot to Grandview and the Rode Skyline East to West and down Fern. It was around 15 miles/1700 ft. Not exactly epic but I’m still happy with it- PRed pretty much everything all weekend, riding things I previously walked, the PRs are all technical in nature, I wasn’t riding that hard. Plus it was a really long week at work.

TTs for me next two weekends, so I’ll be off the mtb for a little bit.
Old 10-01-18, 11:01 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

That 3x12 I couldn't do? Got it.

3x12 min of 2min under 2min over at 270 and 300w. 280w was the baseline 20min test it's based off.

Snack with my beet juice before, and a gel during. Placebo or not, I gave it all I had and there wasn't anything left.
Old 10-01-18, 03:10 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I'm going to speak in watts because I'm pretty stoked about these ones right now. 499w for 3:50, followed by 30min of dry heaving. My all time best 3min was pretty consistently 500w last year on a pretty ideal hill, and the one I did it on today is kinda a weirdly rolling uphill rhythm breaker so I'm super satisfied. I was above 500 until about 3:40 and then the road flattened out and my entire upper body was numb and I died.

Right on schedule for that off-season Christmas peak, so I can come into the season nice and tired in March
Old 10-03-18, 09:26 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,472 Times in 1,448 Posts
@theKillerPenguin Booya. I would find those numbers pretty amazing as well.

Saturday, I did a 3:30 as the over part of an under/over/under climb and set a new power record for 3:30 by 15 watts and felt amazing doing it which means I had more to give.

Yesterday, I went to the track and did a warmup and then 4 laps including a full power standing start using the aerobars on my pursuit bike in my optimized aero position in race gears. My legs felt like ass and power sucked - priceless.
Old 10-03-18, 04:18 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
group ride from yesterday.
Old 10-06-18, 10:33 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Did body weight exercises 2x this week - it is embarrassing how sore I am.
Old 10-07-18, 10:13 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I do a fair bit of push-ups and pull-ups informally, like maybe 120-150 push-ups and half as many pull-ups per week.
Old 10-08-18, 07:06 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

What a week, for me at least. Success Monday with the 12min under overs, tempo Tuesday, peak and fades Wednesday, two sets 3x2min with only 1min rest Friday, metric century Saturday.

That got the form into the negative 20's.

The training plan has a week to build some form back as if you had a race. Not sure what to do as there is no race. Kind of bored of the same two or three workouts.

I may do some slightly easier but longer under/over stuff using a GCN show video this week. Dunno.

It sucks also that I have the race bike repaired right as the hammer group ride season will wind down. There is something to dropping the group on the cyclocross bike with pink bottle cages on Gatorskins while they hammer about on the carbon with 60mm wheels. But, it is ohhh so comfy.

Also can't decide what to do with some days off from work where the kids still have school. The mountains are just far enough to make a painful climb visit pointless. 3 hour drive each way for a 2 to 3 hour ride? Nope. Although the w/kg would definitely see some new PR's for VAM. Nothing impressive by you guy's standards, but, better.

I've done about all I can ride around Raleigh. Maybe some Jordan Lake area stuff. Dunno. Maybe there's a CH area mid-day ride or something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.