Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 08:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
What would be good set of knobby offroad tires to put on my 2018 FX2 so that I can do some gravel grinding and mountain biking in the fall winter?
Also, what are the widest tires that would fit the stock wheels?
I'd guess 40mm. on my older 7.0 Alpha I was able to mount 45mm tires easily but they rubbed the frame. I successfully use 40mm studded tires w fenders but the fenders were a challenge. I really like my WTB Riddlers cuz they don't sink & slow down in wet sand & provide good traction. you can play with inflation to get the right amount of flotation over sand, or pump them harder for speed. unfortunately my 45mm Riddlers don't fit my FX frame

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-18-18 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-18-18, 08:52 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
What would be good set of knobby offroad tires to put on my 2018 FX2 so that I can do some gravel grinding and mountain biking in the fall winter?
Also, what are the widest tires that would fit the stock wheels?
Your frame will be the limiting factor, rather than your wheels. You can probably put up to 50mm tires or wider on your wheels, but those tires wouldn't fit in the frame. You can measure the width of the frame between the chain stays near where your tire currently is to get an idea of the largest tire you could fit. Note also that wider tires are also taller, so be mindful of any lower fender mount or kick stand mount on the frame that might limit the height of the tire.
Old 09-20-18, 10:18 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbash612
Hi Ya'll! This forum helped me pick out my brand new Trek FX 7.4 2015 so thought I'd finally stop lurking and join the FX hype train. I bought the crystal white color. I knew I wanted the 7.4 after I tried the 7.3 and 7.4 back to back. As a heavy set dude, the carbon fork makes a massive difference in bump absorption. I was obsessed with the lime green color available for the 7.3 and assumed I would get that, but I decided to choose the 7.4 for the ride quality. I was still impressed with the crystal white color. Its very clean, and the blue and green accents are subtle and small but super cool. The white color actually has sparkles in it, I've pretty much named my bike Robyn Sparkles. I love that the cables run through the frame in the new design, it makes the bike look very clean and protects those cables from getting banged up. So far I've been extremely impressed with the ride. I've put on about 50 miles which is a lot for me. The ride can be aggressive when you want it to be, and relaxing when you need that too. The seat was uncomfortable at first but I've grown to "settle" with it, its not great, but good enough for my commuting purposes. I had to make some adjustments on my own because I was too lazy to take the bike to my LBS, plus its a great learning experience to learn how to do it. The front brakes got off balance pretty quickly, I had to adjust them. I took my wheel off once or twice carefully and it still happened. My gfs 2014 Trek 7.2 had the exact same issue. I also had to adjust the front derailleur, I had chain rub like nobodies business, so I had to adjust the high/low and actually pull the cable tighter on the derailleur. With that said, the adjustments were damn easy and a great way to learn about my brand new bike. This bike is extremely customizable and has mounting holes in every spot you'd want them to be as a commuter.

I'm a huge fan of this bike, it is the perfect bike for me. Gets me from A to B quickly, has the flexibility for a good exercise loop, and can mount my ridiculous basket for errands I need to run (basket not pictured, I'm embarrassed).

congrats on your nice bike. As for the brakes, I’ve owned 5 fx’s and they all have had finicky brakes. I think trek is aware of this but neglecting to fix the issue.

I dont have the time to go to my bike shop every few weeks to adjust the brakes (even if I could do it myself).
Old 09-30-18, 08:00 PM
TrekFX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone. I am a new member, and this is my first post.
I have decided to get back into cycling and this week I just received my new bike Trek FX 3 2019.
I am really pleased with the ride and can really say that this is a great improvement from what I was riding before.,, ( so old not even worth mentioning)...
I am also happy to see the input from everyone on these forums, that helped me make the decisions on what to purchase when the time came.
Here is a picture

Trek FX3 Disc
Old 09-30-18, 08:04 PM
TrekFX3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is picture of my new 2019 Trek FX3 Disc.

2019 TrekFX3 Disc

Last edited by TrekFX3; 09-30-18 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Changed picture
Old 10-01-18, 02:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekFX3
Here is picture of my new 2019 Trek FX3 Disc.

2019 TrekFX3 Disc

If you want to upgrade the pedals, I can tell you that the Raceface Chesters fit that bike perfectly, and all the colors go with black.

I rode 100 miles on my FX 3 yesterday and the previous Sunday. It's a great bike, enjoy!
Old 10-02-18, 07:45 PM
TrekFX3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
If you want to upgrade the pedals, I can tell you that the Raceface Chesters fit that bike perfectly, and all the colors go with black.

I rode 100 miles on my FX 3 yesterday and the previous Sunday. It's a great bike, enjoy!
Thanks again for the info on the Race Face Chesters.
I picked some up today, and they are far better than the stock pedals, and you are right about the color match..
These look amazing..

Cheers and happy trails
Old 10-03-18, 01:23 PM
Smokeage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any "mandatory" upgrades you guys suggest for FX's?

I'm already looking at new pedals and a new seat. I'm also considering making the switch to tubeless tires since they provide a better ride quality but I'm honestly a little intimidated by the very technical terminology I'm seeing in tire/wheel discussions lol. Gonna need to do a bit more research before I'm confident enough to select something like that.

Also, what's the widest tire I can get into the FX3's carbon fork? I've heard that they are narrower than the metal forks.
Old 10-04-18, 06:29 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokeage
Any "mandatory" upgrades you guys suggest for FX's?

I'm already looking at new pedals and a new seat. I'm also considering making the switch to tubeless tires since they provide a better ride quality but I'm honestly a little intimidated by the very technical terminology I'm seeing in tire/wheel discussions lol. Gonna need to do a bit more research before I'm confident enough to select something like that.

Also, what's the widest tire I can get into the FX3's carbon fork? I've heard that they are narrower than the metal forks.
Seat - only if the one is one does not feel comfy. We all have different asses and all seats feel different.
Pedals - Yes. Get good flat shoe pedals with grip (see the chesters above)

Leave all else as is and ride it.
Get good lights to be seen and see at night, U-lock and enjoy the bike.
Old 10-04-18, 06:56 AM
Smokeage

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seat - only if the one is one does not feel comfy. We all have different asses and all seats feel different.
Pedals - Yes. Get good flat shoe pedals with grip (see the chesters above)

Leave all else as is and ride it.
Get good lights to be seen and see at night, U-lock and enjoy the bike.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I've actually already started getting a lot of the accessories I'll need (lock, lights, pump, etc) while riding my '96 Craptastic Walmart Special so I'm doing alright in that department haha.

I was already eyeballing the Chesters when I made my post so those will probably happen.

As for the tires though, I've heard a couple complaints about the tread and width of the stock tires. Are these completely unfounded or just personal preference?

I will probably end up hitting my budget with the addition of the pedals and seat though so I most likely wouldn't have even had the cash for all three right now. Just leaves with more time to research haha.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm going to catch a quick nap before I head up to the LBS to actually sit on the different sizes they have which means I should be the proud owner of a Viper Red FX3 sometime next week since they only have FX2's in the store right now and have to get a 3 from the warehouse. I'll definitely be posting up here more often as I continue my journey; I haven't been an active member of a forum since I quit paintball 5 years ago so it feels good to be "back" haha.
Old 10-04-18, 09:52 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokeage
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I've actually already started getting a lot of the accessories I'll need (lock, lights, pump, etc) while riding my '96 Craptastic Walmart Special so I'm doing alright in that department haha.

I was already eyeballing the Chesters when I made my post so those will probably happen.

As for the tires though, I've heard a couple complaints about the tread and width of the stock tires. Are these completely unfounded or just personal preference?

I will probably end up hitting my budget with the addition of the pedals and seat though so I most likely wouldn't have even had the cash for all three right now. Just leaves with more time to research haha.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm going to catch a quick nap before I head up to the LBS to actually sit on the different sizes they have which means I should be the proud owner of a Viper Red FX3 sometime next week since they only have FX2's in the store right now and have to get a 3 from the warehouse. I'll definitely be posting up here more often as I continue my journey; I haven't been an active member of a forum since I quit paintball 5 years ago so it feels good to be "back" haha.
I have stock FX2 rims, tires and tubes with now at almost 2000km of commuting and riding daily past two months of my ownership. I do gravel and pavement with short offroading. I have nothing to complain about. I did get new CX (cross) tires for later on in the fall and for winter but only because I will be doing some cyclecross and I need more grip in lick mud and such.
Forgot to add that thus far zero flats and comfy rides at 70-80psi
The pedals that I use are these from Rockbros https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...0L2I475E&psc=1

Last edited by crazyravr; 10-04-18 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 10:31 AM
Bothrops

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX3, 1988 Raleigh Flashpointe, 2019 Trek Verve +

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you are mostly riding on pavement, the stock FX3 Bontrager tires are pretty good. I found them quick and puncture proof. On the other hand, if you will be riding off-pavement the 32c is too narrow. I ride about 75% paved and 25% crushed limestone and swapped out the stock Bontragers for 700X35 Schwalbe G-One All Arounds. They are fast on pavement and sure footed on crushed limestone.
Old 10-05-18, 08:03 PM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My FX6s came with 25c tires. I love 'em, but I only ride on the road. Riding anything other than pavement or asphalt and I'm on the EX8. For pedals, I use the XT -PDt8000 trekking pedals. I can choose between pinned flats or SPD clipless.

That FX6s is a great bike. I think it might be the only bike I've owned in 30 years that didn't leave me thinking about what I'd replace it with. As it is, it distresses me that I won't be able to get a Domane frame with flat bars ever again.
Old 10-07-18, 12:54 PM
muddyrock

Bikes: 2019 Trek X-Caliber 8 and 2019 Trek FX2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grayslaker
I am sure that tire will suit well. If you need options check out Bontrager H5 Hardcase ultimate as well. I replaced stock tire with this (32mm version) and couldn't be happier. Had this on my verve 2, liked it and hence used the same when I got S4

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tire/p/09389/
I am looking to do the same tire on my FX S4!! Do you have pictures of these tires on your S4? If so I would love to see It!!
Old 10-07-18, 04:59 PM
grayslaker

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fall ride begins #FxSport4

Old 10-07-18, 04:59 PM
grayslaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 10-07-18, 05:01 PM
grayslaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by muddyrock
I am looking to do the same tire on my FX S4!! Do you have pictures of these tires on your S4? If so I would love to see It!!
Check the above. Will try and post some close-ups when I get home
Old 10-07-18, 05:27 PM
muddyrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks good, would love to see some close ups if you can.
Old 10-07-18, 07:00 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuyuna
As it is, it distresses me that I won't be able to get a Domane frame with flat bars ever again.
Why will you never be able to get a Domane frame with flat bars ever again?
Old 10-07-18, 08:06 PM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Why will you never be able to get a Domane frame with flat bars ever again?
Not interested in building.
Old 10-07-18, 10:14 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Greetings, new member and first post. I’ve been riding the heck out of my trusty old Trek fx 7.2 for the past several months. Lost 80 lbs in the process (strict diet too). It was time to reward myself with an updated bike. I hit the local LBS and one test ride later, I knew it had to be a Trek FX Sport 6! They only had a FX5 in my size (large), but the Trek warehouse in Ontario CA nearby has 14 FX6’s. For the extra couple of hundred over the 5 I figured the 6 was a good deal to get the 105 group drivetrain. I bought one on the spot and it should be built and ready this week. Can’t wait!

Old 10-08-18, 06:36 PM
grayslaker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Here u go
Old 10-09-18, 03:37 PM
muddyrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here u go
Thanks, exactly what I'm looking for!!
Old 10-13-18, 06:13 PM
bacampbe

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Raise Bar on FXS4

I'm starting to think I need to raise the handle bar on my 2018 FXS4. I've got the saddle about where I want it, but seem to be getting too much weight on my hands. It looks like the stem is as high up on the steering tube as it can go--there are no spacers above the stem. I'm not sure if it was setup that way from the factory, or something done at my LBS.

What's the easiest way to raise the bar? The LBS suggests new handlebars with more rise, which seems like overkill.
Old 10-13-18, 06:23 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by bacampbe
What's the easiest way to raise the bar? The LBS suggests new handlebars with more rise, which seems like overkill.
In the end, you're looking to get your grips/contact points higher. There are number of ways to do this. A new bar with more rise would certainly work. A stem with more rise, with your current bar, will also work. You can also get a steer tube extension, which effectively lengthens the steer tube, so your current stem and bar would be raised up by the amount of that extension.

Geometry will differ with all of these. Bars with more rise will raise your grip area straight up (as long as the backsweep is the same). A stem with more rise/angle will raise the grip area up and also likely pull it back some (unless you get a longer stem also). A steer tube extension will raise it up, but because of the angle of the steer tube (70-72 degrees), the grip area will also be pulled back closer to you, unless you get a longer stem at the same time.

The cheapest and easiest is likely a different stem. That way, you don't need to undo grips and controls on the bar. A new stem should be in the $15-30 range, depending on the brand. You can also pay a lot more for carbon fiber, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.