Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 08:48 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If the wheels are real and not stolen, then they are an excellent set of wheels. Phil Wood makes some of the best hubs on the market. Top quality, easily serviced and great bearings. They aren't light though which is frequently why people get rid of them because they want super light vs super looks which is fair but nothing and I do mean nothing is going to beat a silver hub with that red script Phil logo on it (well maybe a deep purple or black is good if it is gloss) H+Son makes an excellent rim and I am using 6 of their rims right now and they are excellent. The tires and stuff are a cool addition but nothing I spec on my stuff though nothing against Hutchinson.

$300 would be a heck of deal again if they are real and not stolen and either in true or not badly out of true and using decent spokes (Sapim, DT Swiss, Wheelsmith or Phil Wood).
Those wheels definitely raise a question in my mind about whether they are stolen or not. Retrogression has a similar set for ~$600, and that's with the threading on both sides of the rear hub. Seems too good to be true. Maybe they have the receipt and a good story as to why they are selling. Who knows? Just couldn't believe that post.

​https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/bop/d/fixed-gear-track-wheelset/6704471808.html

Dave​​​​​​
Old 10-20-18, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Those wheels definitely raise a question in my mind about whether they are stolen or not. Retrogression has a similar set for ~$600, and that's with the threading on both sides of the rear hub. Seems too good to be true. Maybe they have the receipt and a good story as to why they are selling. Who knows? Just couldn't believe that post.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/b...704471808.html

Dave​​​​​​
Maybe email them and ask some questions about them and probe a little. They look to be correct parts wise and maybe they got a great deal working in a shop but check as best you can first.
Old 10-21-18, 03:33 AM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I engraved a little ‘face plate’ for the gap in the stem with a Loki bust! I nerd out on little details. :shrug

I found some stuff at a local metal supply, started playing with it... I really like the look of the Alter cogs and such, but spending that on a cog hurts to think about. So I decided to try some DIY stuff to get that look... again detail dork

Here’s what I ended up with. I’m sure I’ll get better results as I play with the stuff. Some more god of mischief touches. 😝

Last edited by mouse; 10-21-18 at 04:03 AM.
Old 10-21-18, 10:07 AM
CCMAK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I got out and ride only to constantly wiping tears because the wind was too cold! Nice fall colours though.
Old 10-21-18, 06:05 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
... put a front brake on my bike.
I feel a little sad because I was really digging the bare bones simplicity but it opens more roads up to me this way without the fear of not being able to slow down on hills
50km ride this weekend on mixed paved and gravel.

Old 10-21-18, 06:33 PM
bonsai171

Today I rode 25.8 miles at 16.4mph average. Probably my fastest ride ever!

Dave
Old 10-21-18, 06:34 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by CCMAK
Today I got out and ride only to constantly wiping tears because the wind was too cold!

I have that problem as well. Wrap-around sunglasses or ski/snowboarding goggles work well to prevent it.
Old 10-21-18, 06:45 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Today I bought a set of h plus son wheels laced to polished phil hubs (single-sided threading) plus tires (Hutchinson Fusion) and a 17t cog/lockring for $300 on Craigslist!

Actually I didn't. Just kidding.

But I should go get them and flip them to Dave for tree fitty.

-Tim-
Old 10-21-18, 06:55 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Today I bought a set of h plus son wheels laced to polished phil hubs (single-sided threading) plus tires (Hutchinson Fusion) and a 17t cog/lockring for $300 on Craigslist!

Actually I didn't. Just kidding.

But I should go get them and flip them to Dave for tree fitty.

-Tim-
LOL. I'll probably go with the sub 15s-those are around 2000g.

Dave
Old 10-21-18, 07:27 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by mouse

I engraved a little ‘face plate’ for the gap in the stem with a Loki bust! I nerd out on little details. :shrug

I found some stuff at a local metal supply, started playing with it... I really like the look of the Alter cogs and such, but spending that on a cog hurts to think about. So I decided to try some DIY stuff to get that look... again detail dork

Here’s what I ended up with. I’m sure I’ll get better results as I play with the stuff. Some more god of mischief touches. 😝
Diggin the experimentation.
What did you do for that engraving of Loki?
Old 10-21-18, 09:46 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I discovered that my front tire on Darla was completely flat despite supposedly having a liner and slime.

I also made my weekly pizza for Sunday Night Football, this time on garlic bread.

I'm working on wrapping Christmas presents and cleaing the house as well.
Old 10-21-18, 10:15 PM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Diggin the experimentation.
What did you do for that engraving of Loki?
Thanks! I have a programmable laser engraver

Originally Posted by Rollfast
I discovered that my front tire on Darla was completely flat despite supposedly having a liner and slime.

I also made my weekly pizza for Sunday Night Football, this time on garlic bread.

I'm working on wrapping Christmas presents and cleaing the house as well.
mmmmmmm pizza sounds good. Dang! you're way ahead of the game, wrapping gifts before Halloween. Good on you!! haha.
Old 10-22-18, 01:13 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Got the cog and lock ring installed. I think it looks pretty cool. It was a fun learning process. Gonna keep playing with the technique on another cog. Speaking of, I can’t for the life of me get the cog on the flip side off. I’ve tried everything, including breaking a chain whip and taking it to the LBS which told me basically to eat worms. Any ideas? I’m at the point of carefully cutting it off. Am I correct in thinking freewheel threads differ from cog threads and this could be why? Also got to the roller stage! Everything is still loosey goosey so ignore a lot of the wonk goin on lol

Last edited by mouse; 10-22-18 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 06:39 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mouse
I can’t for the life of me get the cog on the flip side off. I’ve tried everything, including breaking a chain whip and taking it to the LBS which told me basically to eat worms. Any ideas? I’m at the point of carefully cutting it off. Am I correct in thinking freewheel threads differ from cog threads and this could be why? [/i][/left]
Nope, the threading is the same. Maybe it's held on with LocTite or something. I'm assuming you've already doused it in penetrating oil?

It might be worth applying heat before resorting to the grinder.
Old 10-22-18, 08:36 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus
Nope, the threading is the same. Maybe it's held on with LocTite or something. I'm assuming you've already doused it in penetrating oil?

It might be worth applying heat before resorting to the grinder.
yessir, hit it with penitraiting oil twice. I’ll try a little heat today. Thanks sir
Old 10-22-18, 03:43 PM
Butthash
Gold Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I went to see my primary physician and may work on converting that Firenze GL5000 into a singlespeed with my Paké's parts so I have more tyre clearance, but I may also just transferntur fork to my Paké so I have clearance for.my 30mm tire.
Old 10-23-18, 01:27 AM
mouse
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Threw an SRAM pc1 chain on, old flite, some mks pedals and straps, and Deda velo bars. Went for a quick 10mile test ride. Feels pretty good. Gonna adjust some things and ride it to work on the morning. I’m not sure about the straps. They feel kinda clunky. Switch to cages if I don’t get accustomed to them. I think someone should bring back the retrogression straps, cuz I liked those. Wink wink 😉
Old 10-23-18, 04:22 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Sorry for the bad pic. I installed Vittoria Corsa CXIII 25c's and an American Classic post. The stock freewheel has always been a clunker but now it making some really bad sounds. The stock cranks aren't close to round, you can see the ring wobble when you turn it. A bad ring or a bent spindle I don't know. Half the chain is too loose and half is too tight. I just finally ordered a WI freewheel, SRAM S300 cranks and a PC-1 chain. Planned to wait for the Black Friday sales but I can't. Now this bike will be perfect. I love this frame. It's light, will fit up to a 45c but it still feels racy, a very quick and nimble handling bike.

Old 10-23-18, 09:03 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I love this frame. It's light, will fit up to a 45c but it still feels racy, a very quick and nimble handling bike.
What frame is it? Weight?
Old 10-23-18, 11:31 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus
What frame is it? Weight?
Swobo Accomplice, double butted frame/fork and the downtube is hydroformed. Haven't weighed it but I've already chopped a couple of pounds off it.
Old 10-23-18, 12:47 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
I'm pretty sure Swobo is out of business...again
Old 10-23-18, 01:07 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
I'm pretty sure Swobo is out of business...again
Well that explains why they were selling those Accomplices so cheap. Got mine for right around $300 if memory serves - heck of a deal considering what you get.
Old 10-23-18, 01:36 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
I had a Sanchez a few years ago which was a pretty decent, do much ok but nothing great, kind of bike, so I had a soft spot for Swobo. They've had more than a few pretty interesting bikes but never seemed to click with a target market. With all their comings and goings: starting in clothing, getting into bikes with that woman from Bianchi, being bought and sold by Santa Cruz, jumping between being an interwebz or a bike store seller, in and out of business a couple times; who knows - maybe they'll be resurrected yet again...
Old 10-23-18, 02:26 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
Originally Posted by j_e_r_e_m_y
Well that explains why they were selling those Accomplices so cheap. Got mine for right around $300 if memory serves - heck of a deal considering what you get.
I wish I would've gotten one of those when they were still available in my size. I decided I should just get one Swobo though, and went with this one:

Still glad I got this one.
Old 10-23-18, 02:37 PM
Butthash
Gold Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I have gotten desperate enough for a fork with the tire clearance I need, that I'm greatly debating whether to remove the rusty, crusty, quill stem and threaded faw-work from my useless GL5000 frame and going to see if I can turd out my polished Paké, so i finally have clearance for my 30mm tyre.* Not positive yet, but sounds like a project of sorts.
Any other suggestions on how to get a CHEAP fork with neccecary clearance on my bike? I can trade my 1" 2009 Paké fork for a fork with better clearance.* Whatever works.* Preferences are leaning on a Steamroller fork or carbon fork, but I'm
1. not picky
2. broke.
3. Hard to find cheap threadless 1" forks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.