Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 01-17-19, 07:48 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Has anyone used Health IQ for life insurance? I'm out of shape right now (6 feet, 210lbs, haven't ridden in a while) but looking at life insurance quotes and stuff might be what I need to get back in shape and start riding again. I need a good bit of insurance since my wife stays at home and I make a good bit, and the quotes are expensive (probably over $1000 a year). Health IQ looks like they take into account your exercise and stuff, the fitness test is just to ride 50 miles, which even out of shape I could probably manage right now if I found a flat route (other than a sore ass tomorrow).
Old 01-17-19, 08:52 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Has anyone used Health IQ for life insurance? I'm out of shape right now (6 feet, 210lbs, haven't ridden in a while) but looking at life insurance quotes and stuff might be what I need to get back in shape and start riding again. I need a good bit of insurance since my wife stays at home and I make a good bit, and the quotes are expensive (probably over $1000 a year). Health IQ looks like they take into account your exercise and stuff, the fitness test is just to ride 50 miles, which even out of shape I could probably manage right now if I found a flat route (other than a sore ass tomorrow).
Have you tried the ACA?

A few years ago, when my wife's job changed, we got her better and cheaper coverage through the ACA than adding her to my insurance.
Old 01-17-19, 08:57 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Have you tried the ACA?

A few years ago, when my wife's job changed, we got her better and cheaper coverage through the ACA than adding her to my insurance.
Life insurance, not health insurance. Health insurance through my new company is good. Life insurance is a joke ($100k isn't gonna do much of anything).
Old 01-17-19, 03:30 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Yes, I used them a couple of years ago. It was a very positive experience, and I would definitely recommend them. They did get me a good rate with a solid insurance company and they were excellent through the whole process.

For me, there was no fitness test. They simply asked if they could look at my Strave history and that was it--other than the in-home health exam. I'd say go ahead and talk to them and see what they can do, and then comparison shop. I can't quantify exactly how much they saved me, but I'm confident that they saved me some.
Old 01-17-19, 05:02 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Life insurance, not health insurance. Health insurance through my new company is good. Life insurance is a joke ($100k isn't gonna do much of anything).
I would be leery of a insurance company offering discounts based on behavior; it's too easy for them to decline payout based on "fraudulent information" like if you say you ride a lot but then right after you die they claim you stopped riding years ago.

You can't complain after you're dead.
Old 01-18-19, 07:54 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I would be leery of a insurance company offering discounts based on behavior; it's too easy for them to decline payout based on "fraudulent information" like if you say you ride a lot but then right after you die they claim you stopped riding years ago.

You can't complain after you're dead.
This is a good point, and worth considering. One thing to note though, is that it appears from what I can tell that they just negotiate better rates for healthy people with major insurance companies, take their cut I'm sure, and then your policy is with the major company. I kind of doubt MetLife or Prudential is going to go back and double check something like that in 10 years. It also says the only way it can be canceled is if you stop paying the premiums. It appears they mainly just get you into the premium plus rate tier with the insurance companies.

My wife pointed out cyclists are actually relatively likely to die by getting hit by a car and asked if they take that into account, and I told her it appears they do not but that's a great point. I guess the odds are still lower than being fat and getting a heart attack.
Old 01-18-19, 08:13 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
"There's no way a corporation would do something illegal that would tank the economy."

""There's no way a corporation and government would do something illegal that would create the greatest health crisis ever."

rinse & repeat
Old 01-18-19, 08:17 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by gsteinb
"There's no way a corporation would do something illegal that would tank the economy."

""There's no way a corporation and government would do something illegal that would create the greatest health crisis ever."

rinse & repeat
Fair, but I think my other option besides trusting insurance companies is just not getting life insurance. Which I guess is an option, I'm just not sure it's the smart one for me.
Old 01-21-19, 09:35 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Slid my car into a fence at work today. Very slick roads and I was the second person through the snow coming down the hill into our parking lot. Everyone finds out and now I have to do government paperwork. Plus my car is ****ed (still drives, just not well), insurance is closed on MLK day so I have to wait until tomorrow to figure out a path forward. Looks awful for a <10 mph hit
Old 01-21-19, 10:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2476 Post(s)
Liked 2,899 Times in 1,541 Posts
bummer
Old 01-21-19, 10:47 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Slid my car into a fence at work today. Very slick roads and I was the second person through the snow coming down the hill into our parking lot. Everyone finds out and now I have to do government paperwork. Plus my car is ****ed (still drives, just not well), insurance is closed on MLK day so I have to wait until tomorrow to figure out a path forward. Looks awful for a <10 mph hit
Nothing like paperwork to make a bad situation worse.

My last job I almost cost us a contract doing 28 in a 25 on a corporate headquarters campus and got pulled over by security. That wouldn't have been fun to explain and write up. They gave me a warning.
Old 01-26-19, 05:38 PM
topflightpro

I killed a bird today. It flew into my bike, which was on my roof as I was driving home. It startled me at first. But I felt pretty bad about it.
Old 01-26-19, 05:48 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I killed a bird today. It flew into my bike, which was on my roof as I was driving home. It startled me at first. But I felt pretty bad about it.
Sounds like the bird killed itself.

(Oft repeated question.. is the bike okay)
Old 01-26-19, 07:23 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Today I went mountain biking with the two women I usually ride with off-road. We got mixed in with a large group of middle and high school racers, their coaches, some parents, and some guy on an e-bike. There was a grueling 3 mile climb where some of them passed us and then a steep, twisty descent full of holes, loose rocks and 180 degree turns. My friend has mad skillz and she has raced on and off road so she went ahead and dropped everyone on the descent. Like vanished out of sight dropped. It was the highlight of the ride for me. She said she was waiting at the bottom for a while before anyone showed up and when they did, they asked her how she got there ahead of them, as if she knew a shortcut. I like to see guys freaked out like that.
Old 01-30-19, 09:19 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
My first race of the year is cancelled because of rain in the forecast =\

Probably for the best, its a 3 mile circuit with a descent on the backside. People usually hit 40+ going down it and in in the rain I'm not sure how safe that is, plus its a flood basin so there's that. 'Rain' doesn't seem like a big deal to some, but in that area water is being dumped from a mountain range, and people die from flash floods every few years or so.

I'm too fat to race now anyway (15% bf = cyclist morbid obesity)
Old 01-30-19, 09:33 AM
Flatballer
No matches

I can't believe how long the season is out there. The low tonight here is 3, with a windchill of -25 or something.
Old 01-30-19, 11:12 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I can't believe how long the season is out there. The low tonight here is 3, with a windchill of -25 or something.

In fairness it is still January. Not sure what you'd expect. We also get like 2 feet less snow a year than I was a kid.

That senator *****ing about people growing soft sounds about spot-on.
Old 01-30-19, 11:41 AM
Flatballer
No matches

I mean, this is literally a record cold throughout the midwest, and very abnormally cold in the NE. Wind chills that will cause frostbite in minutes aren't really a factor of people getting soft. Your skin will still freeze, just like it would've in the 70s or whenever you're pining for, it's just physics.
Old 01-30-19, 12:23 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
How an Olympic Hopeful Robbed 26 Banks on His Bike

Careful racing track folks. You never know where it is going to lead.
Old 01-30-19, 01:19 PM
topflightpro

That was a fascinating article.
Old 01-30-19, 01:56 PM
Flatballer
No matches

I'm still working my way through it (have to stop sometimes to pretend to work, obviously) and it's definitely a good read. Sad.
Old 01-30-19, 07:03 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I mean, this is literally a record cold throughout the midwest, and very abnormally cold in the NE. Wind chills that will cause frostbite in minutes aren't really a factor of people getting soft. Your skin will still freeze, just like it would've in the 70s or whenever you're pining for, it's just physics.
Hardly pining for anything. It's just that it's January and pondering how long the season is seems a bit premature. Winter is just over a month old.
Old 01-30-19, 07:28 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by gsteinb
Hardly pining for anything. It's just that it's January and pondering how long the season is seems a bit premature. Winter is just over a month old.
It's less that we aren't racing, and more that they are. It's that racing in January seems so crazy.
Old 01-30-19, 07:30 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

It's ski season, break out the sticks, forget about riding competitively!
Old 01-30-19, 07:40 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

It's less that we aren't racing, and more that they are. It's that racing in January seems so crazy.
hmmm

I think I mistook what you wrote to mean 'I can't believe how long the season is (i.e. winter).'

oh well. Onwards and upwards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.