Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Panaracer Gravel King, World's Most Sadistic Tire?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 02-06-19, 12:10 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts

Third day and third set of wheels trying to mount these SOB's. They're the regular folding clincher version. I pride myself on being able to mount almost any tire using only my hands, time, patience, and some baby powder, But I'm ready to throw in the towel with these.

I've laughed at many an Amazon review where someone said a given brand of tires were impossible to mount. I fought probably 5 minutes just getting the opposite side of the tire onto the rim. I can only think of one other set of tires in 50+ years of wrenching on bikes fitting so tightly, and that was because they were the wrong size (anyone remember Schwinn's proprietary tires for 20" rims?)

Sent away for some Kool Stop tire levers, as a last resort. But these tires are just simply too small for any 700c rim that I own. And I know that if and when I do get them to mount, it will be a hollow victory once I get my first flat, and have to go through the same thing a second time, most likely while on the road in rain, mud or cold. And I predict that first flat won't be long, given the laughably thin tread on these. They're just a file tread road tire, as far as I can see. I have no idea why they're marketed as a gravel tire, since the first goathead or piece of glass I even see is gonna cause a flat, I predict. They might work fine in some parts of the US, but not in CA or anyplace with goat heads, or in any sort of urban setting with glass and debris on the roadway.

Thank you Panaracer, I bow humbly to your extreme sadism, and I hate your tires with the passion of a thousand rising suns.
Old 02-06-19, 12:43 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

These are 700 x 28's. They've got to be a defective batch, they feel more like 695 x 28's. And they don't appear very wide either, more like 25's than 28's.

I was hoping to get some stretch once they got mounted, maybe I could even over-inflate them a bit. But this just seems like a lost cause, on a tire I can already tell is not gonna suit my needs or hold up very well around my old nemesis, i.e., goat heads.
Old 02-06-19, 12:53 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I have no idea why they're marketed as a gravel tire
Because it has reinforced sidewalls.

In lots of places, the only things on roads that are likely to stab through tread rubber are things left by humans, and gravel roads see low traffic. The result being that a sub-tread puncture-protection layer is largely irrelevant to the gravel riding in these areas.
Old 02-06-19, 12:54 PM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
They absolutely require a Kool-Stop tire jack to install, in any size. I've tried a couple 32s in both SK and file tread as well as 43.
I'm a huge fan of the tires. Been on a set of 32s in a file tread for a year for commuting, gravel, and fast club rides. Only flatted once with a snakebite because I was playing around with low tire pressure. Once that was dialed, it's been smooth sailing.
I'm sure they won't handle goat heads, not much can I hear. It's probably worthwhile to run a tube with a removable core and add some Stan's sealant. Then you can have your supple ride with no headaches.
Old 02-06-19, 01:04 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Originally Posted by tiredhands
They absolutely require a Kool-Stop tire jack to install, in any size. I've tried a couple 32s in both SK and file tread as well as 43.
I'm a huge fan of the tires. Been on a set of 32s in a file tread for a year for commuting, gravel, and fast club rides. Only flatted once with a snakebite because I was playing around with low tire pressure. Once that was dialed, it's been smooth sailing.
I'm sure they won't handle goat heads, not much can I hear. It's probably worthwhile to run a tube with a removable core and add some Stan's sealant. Then you can have your supple ride with no headaches.
I guess I will wait for the Kool Stop, but it seems like this tire is just too small. Nothing doing:

Old 02-06-19, 01:11 PM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Bigger picture... Any remount attempt later in the field under less than ideal conditions will be that much worse. Sure the tire may "stretch" a bit but if you are planning on going TL, the dried up layer around the bead will make it stickier and that much harder to handle.
Old 02-06-19, 01:14 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
The sidewall is regular, non-reinforced. Linked picture of cross-sectioned GK slick 700cx38 example shows sidewall between 0.6-0.7mm and lines up with the picture for Gravel King Slick and SK on Panaracers site. This thickness is about the same as a regular road tire, GP4KII shows the same thickness.

https://drandalls.files.wordpress.co...2/img_5722.jpg

That's where you're stuck? Should be no problem to pop on with Pedros tire levers. What rim tape or strip are you using, that looks like the kind of rim wrapped in Velox.
You are correct sir, that's a Velox-wrapped Mavic CXP 21. I have never had to resort to thinner rim strips before. But if that's what it takes to snatch victory from the hands of defeat with these tires, so be it.
Old 02-06-19, 01:16 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Originally Posted by u235
Bigger picture... Any remount attempt later in the field under less than ideal conditions will be that much worse. Sure the tire may "stretch" a bit but if you are planning on going TL, the dried up layer around the bead will make it stickier and that much harder to handle.
I think you're probably right, but I guess it's just stubbornness and ego driving me at this point not to give up. Practical concerns may need to take a back seat, when my pride is on the line.
Old 02-06-19, 01:43 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
The sidewall is regular, non-reinforced.
It's not especially thick, but I think they're using a tougher outer fabric layer than on a normal road tire. That's what Panaracer's diagrams claim, and the cross-section photo you linked also shows the casing consisting of two layers of different material. The sidewalls of most road tires look homogeneous when viewed in cross-section.
Old 02-06-19, 02:17 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Does the rim have a central trough? If so, is the entire bead in that central trough before you try to mount the tire? Are these tubeless tires?

Also, it takes two to tango. Tight tires are often a tire/rim combination problem, not a tire rpoblem. For example, for me mounting Hutchinson tubeless road tires on Shimano WH-6800 was an unbelievable exercise in frustrations, ripped up hands and broken levers. I later mounted a similar set of tires to WTB rims without issue. Some rims (like Shimano) are notoriously oversized.
Old 02-06-19, 03:11 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Does the rim have a central trough? If so, is the entire bead in that central trough before you try to mount the tire?
+1. This is the single biggest lesson I’ve learned about tire mounting problems, particularly on tubeless compatible rims (never had a major problem on non-tubeless tires/rims ).

Old 02-07-19, 08:49 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
These are 700 x 28's. They've got to be a defective batch, they feel more like 695 x 28's. And they don't appear very wide either, more like 25's than 28's.

I was hoping to get some stretch once they got mounted, maybe I could even over-inflate them a bit. But this just seems like a lost cause, on a tire I can already tell is not gonna suit my needs or hold up very well around my old nemesis, i.e., goat heads.
Don't give up! I run maybe 6-7 sets of these tires..4 sets of 700 x 28-slicks and a few in the 35-40ish size (sk;s). They can be a beast to mount, but they stretch and the second time mounting is MUCH easier. I've managed to mount all of them without the kool stop jack(suggestion..a "personal lube" does help), but the struggle led me to but the kool stop device. Used it once..a big help.
Old 02-07-19, 10:39 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

What rims?
Old 02-07-19, 10:48 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mavic CXP 21, Mavic Aksium, DT Swiss r1800. I also have some tubeless-compatible HED rims I may try, but I need to wait until next week before I have my Kool Stop tool, which I fully expect to break while fighting with these tires, but if that's my fate, so be it.

Not helping things, is the weirdly-shaped rim hook that the beads of these tires have. It just doesn't want to engage with any of my rims very well. All of my various rims have a tendency to spit these tires right back out without engaging the bead very well at all. Whoever designed that bead hook needs to be fired immediately, IMO.

I tend not to return items I buy through the mail, but I may need to make an exception with these so-called "gravel tires".
Old 02-07-19, 11:33 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I thought the light file tread was why it was marketed as a gravel tire.

It's all right in hardpack, better than an actual slick. But not great in anything more textured than that. I'm also running the 26mm version on my road bike, though.

Originally Posted by fishboat
Don't give up! I run maybe 6-7 sets of these tires..4 sets of 700 x 28-slicks and a few in the 35-40ish size (sk;s). They can be a beast to mount, but they stretch and the second time mounting is MUCH easier. I've managed to mount all of them without the kool stop jack(suggestion..a "personal lube" does help), but the struggle led me to but the kool stop device. Used it once..a big help.
I had to resort to wiping motor oil on the tire, but I suppose something water or silicone based would work...
Old 02-07-19, 12:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
I had to resort to wiping motor oil on the tire, but I suppose something water or silicone based would work...
Schwalbe Easy Fit helps.

-Tim-
Old 02-07-19, 03:19 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/speedier-lever

I love this lever. The key feature to me is the knuckle guard to prevent skin loss if the lever slips, especially on bladed spokes...
Likes For Caliper:
Old 02-07-19, 03:54 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Originally Posted by Caliper
https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/speedier-lever

I love this lever. The key feature to me is the knuckle guard to prevent skin loss if the lever slips, especially on bladed spokes...
Ordered 2, thanks. I'm always losing / breaking tire levers. Can never find one when I need it.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 02-07-19, 05:01 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Schwalbe Easy Fit helps.

-Tim-
I was fresh out of this stuff, and personal lube too (as luck would have it). So I tried smearing some Extra Virgin Olive Oil on the rim and the tire bead, and the tire slid right on. So it was more a matter of overcoming friction than anything else with this tire, as opposed to the bead being too small. I guess the rubber on a new tires has a tendency to not want to slide easily over aluminum rims. Learn something new every day, I guess.
Old 02-07-19, 05:19 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My mounting fluid of choice: bubble juice. Cheap, cleans up easily, doesn't leave a sticky or slippery residue.
Old 02-08-19, 09:25 PM
curttard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had GK 38s on my bike and got four flats in about 6 months (tubed). 99% paved and the rest some smooth dirt and gravel. Before and after the GKs I used G-One 35s on the exact same routes and never got a single flat. About 1000 miles on each set I think.
Old 02-08-19, 09:41 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee

+1. This is the single biggest lesson I’ve learned about tire mounting problems, particularly on tubeless compatible rims (never had a major problem on non-tubeless tires/rims ).

Same here my tubeless rims are a SOB to mount tires on especially since I use tubes. I purchased another wheelset for my mountain bike that had regular old fashion clincher rims now changing tires is easy. So a flat in BFE will be a snap. Luckily in off road nowhere in Big Bend NP I never had a flat I would have manage but it would be a bloody finger endeavor. I know go tubeless but I don’t want to mess with it plus my MTB can sit for weeks as I mostly ride my gravel bike these days. When the MTB bug hits me, I hit some trails to mix it up and want rims that tires can easily be mounted to.
Old 02-09-19, 05:02 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
For motorcycle tires I use dish soap mixed with water applied with an old paint brush. Probably about the same thing as bubble juice. Can't recall using it for a bike tire, but I'm sure it would work the same.
Old 02-09-19, 06:09 AM
Whit51 

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
I tried to mount the 32 mm SKs on Sun CR 18s with tubes. I couldn’t do it - first time in my life to fail to get a tire on a wheel. I finally got them to fit on Mavic Open Sports using soapy water, Pedro’s steel reinforced levers, and every other technique I coulf find. Then had a flat, probably due too overly aggressive use of the tire levers. They went on easier the second time and have worked fine since.
Old 02-10-19, 03:06 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Motobecane(2), Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 308 Posts
I am glad I am not the only one to have adventures mounting these tires. I ended up mounting them sans tubes and leaving them for a couple of weeks. Then came back and dismounted to install tubes. They were a bit easier but a tire jack was used. I thought they were only bears to mount on older 700c rims. So they are a PITA on newer rims? Seems all the new "hot tires" are a PITA to mount. I have recently mounted Vittorias and Specialized Turbo Cotton with similar efforts involved. I did try using tubeless tape on the Vittorias and cannot say it made much difference.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.