Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 02-07-19, 11:24 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
San Diego bike party woohoo!

@Ttoc6 when will you be here? Between myself and various teammates we could set you up with a bike and a place to stay. You ride a 54? PM me.
Originally Posted by Hermes
@ttoc6 Let me know when you will be in SD. We travel a lot but one never knows. Also, if you stay for the weekend, you could do some of the more famous and fast group rides. SDBC has rides as well and I would ride with you for sure. @TMonk and the gang he runs with is also a good bet.
Conference is from the night of april 8th to the 12th. Full schedule isnt posted yet and I haven't booked a flight. I fit a 54, yeah and I'd LOVE to ride with any and all of you sbdc folks. Yall were cool at vos last year. I'm gonna look for a cheap air bnb or something to extend through the weekend. Still a few months away, but shoot me a message!
Old 02-08-19, 01:40 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Chain snapped mid interval, everythings okay, except I need a new chain...
****!

Hopefully this happened inside..

my race videos
Old 02-08-19, 09:51 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
****!

Hopefully this happened inside..
Yep. I just cleaned and waxed the chain earlier in the day and its more or less a policy now to stress test indoors. I should have replaced that chain about 5k miles ago, and considering my past with that issue I should know better.
Old 02-08-19, 10:08 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
I've been feeling fairly decent so far this year. Got some good base work in late December, then beat my Montezuma time by 1 minute at team camp at 10w higher than last year (280w for 55 mins). So I guess that's a good benchmark of FTP. I've always had a hard time getting my hour power close to the theoretical number. Also felt a lot more fresh at the end of the ride than last year, was able to push the pace up the last 5 min climb. Bummed out that @TMonk slid out, hope you're all healed up by now.

After camp, my volume fell off a bit. Been struggling with time management and ended up doing a lot of evening trainer work, but no long rides over 3 hours in weeks now. Coach has been having me hit 4x8s and big gear sweet spot 1-2 times per week. Worked up to 65 mins of big gear on the TT bike in prep for Valley. Not sure if I have it in me to do as well as last year, but I'll give it a go. Did an unofficial aero test on Fiesta yesterday and hit a 1 lap PR at like 6 watts lower than last year (302w @ 28.8 mph) without shoe covers. Then matched my all time best 8 minute in the evening on the trainer, so the power is coming along OK.

First race is this weekend, not super ambitious, just hoping to stay safe.

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Conference is from the night of april 8th to the 12th. Full schedule isnt posted yet and I haven't booked a flight. I fit a 54, yeah and I'd LOVE to ride with any and all of you sbdc folks. Yall were cool at vos last year. I'm gonna look for a cheap air bnb or something to extend through the weekend. Still a few months away, but shoot me a message!
yes! Hit us up. I also have 54s, and if you can bring or I can find a gxp crankset then I can set you up on my tarmac.
Old 02-08-19, 02:02 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by wktmeow

yes! Hit us up. I also have 54s, and if you can bring or I can find a gxp crankset then I can set you up on my tarmac.
Enjoy vos. I'll be watching out for results from all you guys. I've been messaging with TMonk to get it all figured out!
Old 02-08-19, 06:57 PM
furiousferret

4x8 Intervals. Suffered the last one but overall a good workout. My pedal started popping, this is not my week. Its definitely in the pedal around the spindle. Every year I have a 1 week period where every that is going to break, does.

I've rebuilt my Vector 2's in the past but I'm not sure I can find the parts now.
Old 02-08-19, 08:00 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
SDBC’s TT (Fiesta Island) is Sunday April 14. There is a Merckx category. Once someone raced on a Citybike (rental station at the adjacent park) and they threatened to create a Citybike racing category for him.

Its a great venue, starts at 7am, you could still get home in plenty of time to get your laundry done before the work week starts.
Old 02-08-19, 09:58 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Heathpack

SDBC’s TT (Fiesta Island) is Sunday April 14. There is a Merckx category. Once someone raced on a Citybike (rental station at the adjacent park) and they threatened to create a Citybike racing category for him.

Its a great venue, starts at 7am, you could still get home in plenty of time to get your laundry done before the work week starts.
Very, very tempting. City bike tt sounds like it could be fun if I can use my pedals lol
Old 02-09-19, 01:45 PM
furiousferret

Close to 400 to rebuild my Vector 2's (which was $100 not long ago) which is more than I want to spend to fix old technology. Time to order a new PM.
Old 02-09-19, 04:43 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Been trying to put together a longer than 3 minute segment closer to the house I can do without interruption or downhill.

Got it to nearly 6 min at 20min power. Mostly uphill with three little 10 second downhills. Somehow in Raleigh figured out how to string together 250 ft in 1.8mi. And within a 1/4mi of the house.
Old 02-09-19, 09:45 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Been trying to put together a longer than 3 minute segment closer to the house I can do without interruption or downhill.

Got it to nearly 6 min at 20min power. Mostly uphill with three little 10 second downhills. Somehow in Raleigh figured out how to string together 250 ft in 1.8mi. And within a 1/4mi of the house.
The struggle. I moved 15 miles north and lost the best hill I've ever had for intervals. Any where from 1 to 5 minute intervals were perfect there. Now ive got rollers or 20 minute climbs. Woe is me .

Another long Saturday of work.. snow was too soft for xc skiing so I just set up some old road tires on my gravel bike and hit the rollers and watched Birdbox. Highly reccomend as a movie, but also as trainer fodder with sub titles on. Forgot how much I like rollers after so much time on the kickr recently. Just need to go get a towel to throw under the rear drum because in the 50x11 I spin 100 rpm for 200 watts. I'm way more of a grinder than that lol.
Old 02-10-19, 02:19 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I trained today. It rained today.

I trained in the rain.

my race videos
Old 02-10-19, 03:44 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Skied for a few hours this morning but the snow was hard and I was skiing on tired legs. Probably would've hurt myself trying to rip the groomers. Called it a day after a crash where I ejected from one of my skis.

Mental note.. touring bindings are great for powder and touring. Not great for high speed groomed carving. A rear ejection is my own fault.

Got home and hopped on the rollers for half an hour to just spin the legs and watch TV. Dont even know what the power was like, but probably low.
Old 02-10-19, 04:35 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by mattm
I trained today. It rained today.

I trained in the rain.
Beast.

Its been raining a ton down here; and with no power meter atm I don't have to feel guilty about not riding in it....
Old 02-10-19, 08:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Back from Deer Valley / Park City, UT downhill skiing. 5 days of skiing with 2 really good days of sunny skies and great visibility. The other days were good but poor visibility on the mountain. And we have a very nice gym at the Marriott Mountain Side resort so I got in some strength training to boot.

Left SLC at 7:15 AM and we were at the Equinox gym in La Costa by 10 AM for a strength workout. Back in the routine.
Old 02-10-19, 10:39 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
A recent "snowstorm" and a thaw/freeze cycle put me in Watopia today. One hard effort on the volcano circuit was followed by 45 minutes of ~3.5 w/kg steady state before I needed to go shopping in town.

Also, holy balls I just now realized that Watopia is a play on the word "watt" and the latin root for "good place". I'm an idiot.
Old 02-11-19, 04:46 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
1x60 @ FTP = 5.0

That was an hour of suck
Old 02-11-19, 06:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
First set of VO2max intervals outside in a while. Did the first set into a headwind and didn't do a good job checking my garmin so I kind of overcooked myself. Struggled on the last one and had to quit halfway through. Rookie mistake.
Old 02-11-19, 06:22 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
1x60 @ FTP = 5.0

That was an hour of suck
on a trainer? yuck!
Old 02-11-19, 06:27 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been sickly for going on what, 7 weeks or so? Never really recovered from a cold I had in December. Combined illness with rainy weather and reduced volume due to being on the trainer when I felt well enough, but not doing any real intensity until I felt really healthy, I'm far out of shape and fat af. 193lbs! I was looking at pictures from Hawaii a few years back when I thought I was fat then and would kick my dog to be that skinny right now.

Anyway, onward and upward. I'm hopeful that 193lbs is the high-water mark and that some sunshine and return to a typical training load will bring some springtime flowers, or whatever that saying is. As everyone's favorite Tim said, everyone has setbacks, but it's the good riders who work through them.

For today, I'm actually just enjoying being not-sick. It's a start.
Old 02-11-19, 08:42 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Gym tonight. Got into a squat I couldn't get up. Had to drop to the safety bars. First time I've done that in a long time. Gonna chalk it up to fatigue and a bad warm up as it was no where near my max. Sucks.. but I got in a good rest of my workout for all the other major muscle groups.

Also.. I wanted to share this. A good, very basic primer on sports recovery. Really adhears to the KISS principle of bbn life. https://n.pr/2WW0KJl
Old 02-11-19, 09:42 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

1.5 hours of endurance along the coast and my legs felt like crapola and had a lot of residual fatigue from skiing. However, it was a gorgeous day with fresh winds off the ocean. I had to stop and take some pics at Torrey Pines beach and the glider port.

This is a pic looking south at Torrey Pines beach with the climb toward the left.

On the way past the glider port that services the cliff south of Torrey Pines Golf Course, I rode to the cliffs and there were several gliders out. I liked this shot the best with La Jolla Cove in the distance looking south.

From the same vantage point looking down on Blacks Beach.

Old 02-12-19, 12:53 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
on a trainer? yuck!
Yes, you know!

Considering it though, not sure I could possibly equal that effort outdoors, unless it was on a climb.
Old 02-12-19, 01:22 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
Last night I did a structured workout on the trainer. But in the back of my head I was thinking, maybe this will make it so that I won't perform as well tomorrow on the group ride. Stupid! Who cares how you "perform" on the group ride. It doesn't matter. Thinks of your goals. But I don't have any goals. Then it doesn't matter if you do this workout or not. So just do it.

That's what it's like to be in my head as I'm choosing my workouts.
Old 02-13-19, 04:15 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

With rain coming in, I went out this AM for some climbing on Mount Soledad...not a Zwift mountain. I did one threshold climb and the wind was starting to rip. I went down Nautilus and for the SD guys, it is still bumpy and f'upped. I rode back home via Bird Rock and as I got home, it started to rain.

After changing, I did 16 pages of piano drills such that now my legs and hands are trashed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.