Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The other side of large dogs.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The other side of large dogs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 08:49 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman

Before CO2 and mini pumps, this used to be my dog weapon of choice.
nice
Old 02-11-19, 01:44 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
I once had to beat a dog with a baseball bat at a community park where I was running home from a pickup game. The dog charged me due to its owner letting off the leash, didn't see the dog until it charged me. At first I kept running thinking that I could out run it and that it would give up, but it didn't and kept chasing. At some point I said I wasn't going to outrun it so I stopped and took up defensive position with bat ready. The dog came at me but stopped a couple meters in front of me, then it lunged and that was when I just struck it with my bat 3 times on the head.. The dog went into a short spasm and legs kicking before it just collapsed and stop moving all together. The owner ran over and by then he must have realized that I had killed his dog, and so he really physically confronted me and wanted to kick my ass. I said i'm sorry but your dog chased me down. I seriously thought the owner would charge me because the situation was tense. Thoughts were running thru my mind that if he charged me, I would use the bat to whack him out of self defense. But luckily he calmed down and called the cops. Cops came and I gave them my story, which was backed up by several witnesses at the park. About a week later I got the report from the police and gave it to my family lawyer friend. It was around that time that the owner decided to apologize to me. I accepted his apology and didn't sue him or anything. But yes, some dog owners are stupid and dumber than their dogs.
Old 02-11-19, 01:56 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A question: How many humans are injured by dogs, compared with the number of humans injured by humans?
Perhaps it isn't the dogs we should be concerned about, but ourselves.
Old 02-11-19, 02:06 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
How is posting on a bike forum going to do anything , go to the authorities and stop crying about it .
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Dogs attack people on bike. This is a bike forum. See the connection?

In any event, I don't know about rural area but dog that are unrestrained are illegal in the city. Call animal control and show them the photo (time stamps can be additionally helpful), and they will cite the owner. If there is contact, or an incident, then you need to call the cops.
Originally Posted by avole
A question: How many humans are injured by dogs, compared with the number of humans injured by humans?
Perhaps it isn't the dogs we should be concerned about, but ourselves.
Dogs are responsible for more attacks and hospital incidents than all other animals combined.
Old 02-11-19, 02:33 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL

Dogs are responsible for more attacks and hospital incidents than all other animals combined.
That's absolute bull**** as you well know. That is, assuming you accept your own species as being animals. If it helps, can I also respectfully point out that hospitals exist in most countries on this planet.
Old 02-11-19, 03:13 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
By the way, I have been attacked by dogs twice, once while doing no more than crossing an airport car park, and once while looking through a fence at a wreckers to see if they had my model of a car.

In the first instance, the dog was a security German Shepherd in training, and the handler clearly hadn't secured the rear doors of his van, because it burst through them. Not life threatening, since I'd stopped and faced the dog, which attached itself to my arm, and there we stayed, not moving until the handler arrived and called the dog off. My employers took me to hospital as a precaution, but skin barely broken, plus the dog had had all the shots, even rabies, though that in theory doesn't exist in the UK.

In the second, I leaned against the fence on tiptoe to see if the car was behind others, and got bitten. The dog had been barking ferociously, but I judged it didn't have sufficient space to get its jaws through the fence. Hospital again, same result. Went back to see the site, and, as expected, saw signs everywhere about security dogs, own risk etc.

Very different from being attacked when biking, I know, which is why, outside the UK and Oz, those rabies shots are a good idea since there is a high risk in places where dogs may not necessarily have even been to a vet.
Old 02-11-19, 03:40 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Like 99.9% of cyclists, I've had my share of dog encounters. Only once I was riding on Cañada Larga Rd outside of Ventura CA -- pretty rural area and one the meanest dogs I've seen in a while came out to the edge of a property the road runs through. I stopped and after a while decided no way I was going to be able to get past that thing. I was pretty sure I would have to make a return on the same road and wasn't interested in running the gauntlet twice.

Another time (this time hiking) above Arroyo Verde Park in Ventura, and there was a pack of coyotes just across a small ravine. I got the eff out of there once again.

Here, in some neighborhoods just about every house has some sort of guard dog in the yard. As I ride by I just hope the fence / chains are in good shape. I've come across a pua'a (pig) now and then. They have always run from me and I've never seen a sow with piglets (as far as I know). Hawai'i is rabies-free so that's one less worry.

scott s.
Old 02-11-19, 05:22 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Do bicycle helmets protect against dog bite?
Old 02-11-19, 05:48 AM
avole
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Do bicycle helmets protect against dog bite?
What?? Perhaps the most asinine question I've seen on any forum in a long time and you a Safety Specalist! Why would it not? If you have antagonised the dog to such an extent it's going to give you a warning to lay off, then of course. Heavy duty plastic as a minimum, if course.
Old 02-11-19, 05:51 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I have had issues with some dogs/owners. Including a German Shepard whose people just watched as it arcane after me. I was in New Mexico then, so carrying a firearm wasn’t a big deal. Next time I ran by their place my .40 cal came it, round loaded as they could see me do it and did fire a warning shot. Scared the dog and the owners were now trained. All said and done, 90% of my issues one from shepards, including my one bite. As to on the bike, something about the wheels do something to a dog. I find if I stop and walk past they usually settle down.
Old 02-11-19, 07:05 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
That's absolute bull**** as you well know. That is, assuming you accept your own species as being animals. If it helps, can I also respectfully point out that hospitals exist in most countries on this planet.
I always find it interesting when people make these empirical arguments but cite no data. In my world (academia), you don't get to make such claims without evidence.
Old 02-11-19, 07:22 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I did not start this thread, looks like the mods copied my post, and added their own words to the title. So now I have a thread I didn't start, with a title I did not write, and a bunch of questions I'm supposed to answer. Great. I wish my post had just been deleted if it was deemed too controversial for a bicycle message board.

I'm not saying anything else about the incident here, or answering any questions. I have the whole incident on video, as well as the faces of the owners, and their various admissions of guilt. If anything I would urge everyone to run a video camera in case of incidents like this one. Sadly, people can no longer be trusted to "do the right thing" in these types of situations.
Old 02-11-19, 07:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
****/d
Old 02-11-19, 07:52 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I did not start this thread, looks like the mods copied my post, and added their own words to the title. So now I have a thread I didn't start, with a title I did not write, and a bunch of questions I'm supposed to answer. Great. I wish my post had just been deleted if it was deemed too controversial for a bicycle message board.

I'm not saying anything else about the incident here, or answering any questions. I have the whole incident on video, as well as the faces of the owners, and their various admissions of guilt. If anything I would urge everyone to run a video camera in case of incidents like this one. Sadly, people can no longer be trusted to "do the right thing" in these types of situations.
This is an honest question...From the initial post, with the photo, I have been wondering: how were you able to make photos (or video) of the incident? Weren't you busy trying to protect yourself? I was once knocked off my bike by a large dog, and I subsequently needed both hands to use the bike as a shield of sorts -- I tried to keep the bike between me and the dog.
Old 02-11-19, 07:56 AM
indyfabz

From the angle, it looks like a helmet cam. You can make a still from the video.
Old 02-11-19, 08:21 AM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
The Big Switch.....

​​ Saw this picture of the dog and your comments under the Best Dog I Never Had topic. Wondered how you got it moved to its own headline. Apparently the mods are doing some screening and not passing that info on. I've been chastised for hiding the "F " word with asterisks and then see other members doing the same and it's OK. Had some comments deleted also without any notice although I know why they did.
Anyway back on topic the Shepherd dogs have a huge prey instinct, they love to chase and catch But it needs controlled by good handlers If you own one and don't know this, trouble like you encountered is going to happen. There are various degrees of prey instinct,, some just love to chase and never know what to do once they catch their prey, others as in your case knew exactly what to do. The movement really gets them excited, watch them watch your feet.
Old 02-11-19, 08:33 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by 308jerry
​​ I've been chastised for hiding the "F " word with asterisks and then see other members doing the same and it's OK. Had some comments deleted also without any notice although I know why they did.
A. The mods/admins cannot review every BF post. If you got nabbed for trying to avoid the censor it almost certainly was because someone reported you or a mod, for whatever reason (e.g., controversial topic, like dogs), was monitoring the particular thread.

B. I have had comments deleted over the years and got notice maybe once. I don't believe it's typical to get notice unless and mod/admin something specific to say to you.
Old 02-11-19, 08:40 AM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Re-read the OP.

OP was attempting to out run the dog (20 mph) and got "slammed into" and chomped. Stopping usually ends the chase, and completely eliminates the risk of a crash. (where the biggest injuries can occur) It also leaves you in a better position to protect yourself.

Heal up quickly OP, and press charges.
I read the OP. I didn't say that one should always try to outrun a dog. I just said that the previous statement that one should never try to outrun a dog was an overstatement that could get someone hurt, in certain situations, should they follow that advice.
Old 02-11-19, 09:14 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal
I read the OP. I didn't say that one should always try to outrun a dog. I just said that the previous statement that one should never try to outrun a dog was an overstatement that could get someone hurt, in certain situations, should they follow that advice.

Ok, that makes sense. I've outran a few dogs, but ONLY if I'm 100% certain I will be successful. Fast dogs/ uphills, or any other conditions that make escape less likely means I'm preparing to stop. Yelling the dog back has always worked well for me, but ONLY if I'm stopped, or almost stopped. A dog on the chase will not stop until you get far enough away, or he gets you. And as always in these situations, the risk of crashing, especially at speed, is the greatest danger.
Old 02-11-19, 09:27 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by indyfabz
From the angle, it looks like a helmet cam. You can make a still from the video.
That would make sense. I guess that is a good reason for wearing a helmet cam - evidence.
Old 02-11-19, 10:18 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
My only advice is to carry dog spray and always call the police if bitten or get taken down by a loose dog. If the owner is a jerk, find the scummiest attorney that you can and go after them. If you escape, call and report it to animal control.

A handful of years ago, a local woman was taken down, run into and not bitten, by a large dog. The owner of the dog came out, gathered up the dog and went inside even though the woman was unconscious on the road from the impact and resulting wreck. Other cyclists were along to file reports when the police and ambulance showed up. The local authorities started taking loose dog calls much more seriously after that.
Old 02-11-19, 10:25 AM
308jerry

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
A. The mods/admins cannot review every BF post. If you got nabbed for trying to avoid the censor it almost certainly was because someone reported you or a mod, for whatever reason (e.g., controversial topic, like dogs), was monitoring the particular thread.

B. I have had comments deleted over the years and got notice maybe once. I don't believe it's typical to get notice unless and mod/admin something specific to say to you.
Oh I agree, there's a lot to watch out for on these forums...
Old 02-11-19, 10:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts

Take legal action and pursue it as far as possible. Dogs like that do not change, nor do their negligent owners. Been there, many times in my former rural home.
Old 02-11-19, 11:00 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts

Scope of the problem

There are no global estimates of dog bite incidence, however studies suggest that dog bites account for tens of millions of injuries annually. In the United States of America for example, approximately 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs every year. Of these, nearly 885 000 seek medical care; 30 000 have reconstructive procedures; 3–18% develop infections and between 10 and 20 fatalities occur. Other high-income countries such as Australia, Canada and France have comparable incidence and fatality rates.

Wild animals usually avoid people. They might attack, however, if they feel threatened, are sick, or are protecting their young or territory. Attacks by pets are more common. Animal bites rarely are life-threatening, but if they become infected, you can develop serious medical problems.

Dog bites account for 1% of injury-related emergency department visits in the United States and an estimated $53.9 million in inpatient costs per year.1 Of the approximately 4.5 million persons who are bitten by dogs each year, approximately 316,000 are treated in the emergency department, and 9,500 are hospitalized.1 There are 10 to 20 animal bite–related deaths, mostly from dogs, annually.14

Dog bites account for 85% to 90% of animal bites in the United States at a rate of 103 to 118 per 100,000 population1,5; no one dog breed is most often responsible.6 Pit bull and Rottweiler breeds account for most of the human fatalities related to dog bites over the past two decades.6,7 Most dog bite victims are children, and these bites usually involve the head and neck. Adolescents and adults tend to have more bite wounds to the extremities.2,3,7 More than 70% of bites are from a dog that is known to the victim, and about 50% are self-reported as unprovoked.2

Old 02-11-19, 11:01 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.