Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cheap Carbon Bike with 105

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 11:39 AM
Two Wheel Tango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking to upgrade my aluminum road bike and I'd like to get a cheap (less than $1500) carbon bike with a decent group set (shimano 105 or better). Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Ryan
Old 02-12-19, 11:44 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm
Old 02-12-19, 11:48 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
REI Co-op Cycles ARD 1.3 Bike

https://www.rei.com/product/106342/c...es-ard-13-bike

(On sale for $1,168.93).

Sorry, just noticed it is Tiagra, but it still looks pretty good. (The brakes look like 105, but I guess they copied them now for Tiagra.)
Old 02-12-19, 12:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Two Wheel Tango
Any recommendations?
Decide on the type of geometry you want and visit local bike shops and inquire about previous year models. Unless you live in a really small market, you should have at least a few options.
Old 02-12-19, 12:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
​​​​​​I had an REI bike for a couple years. I bought it used and eventually sold it. I just have put 10,000+ miles on it. Rode the Chilly Hilly on that bike. REI isn't like Target or Dick's, their bikes are worth having (if they fit you, etc).
Old 02-12-19, 01:16 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Two Wheel Tango
I'm looking to upgrade my aluminum road bike and I'd like to get a cheap (less than $1500) carbon bike with a decent group set (shimano 105 or better). Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Ryan
WHY bother with the carbon get better components on a good aluminum frame? Cdale offers up a sweet cad 12 with Ultegra = great bike
Old 02-12-19, 01:47 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I second the idea that you consider more than just the frame material.

Carbon fiber does offer the greatest strength for the lowest weight, ultimately ... but a cheap CF frame might be dead (unresponsive) and overweight, thus offering none of the benefits of the material. A really good Al frame with a CF fork can be built lighter than a cheap CF frame and offer all the performance and comfort one could desire.

If you are looking to shave ounces, whether it be for competition or just personal pleasure, then you will need to go with CF, likely. You will probably be able to find a lighter CF frame at a lower price point, because that is the way the industry (except Cannondale) has gone. Cannondale still offers its CAAD bikes which are as good as CF in every respect, pretty much ... unless you are going for Absolute weight-savings. But still .... Are you considering Solely the weight of the frame?

it could be that a less expensive Al frame could be paired with lighter wheels, for instance, so the overall weight might be lower than a CF frame with heavier components.

I get the impression that you are looking for a bike to buy and ride---not a bike to buy and then modify at considerable expense (you would be hard-pressed to find light wheels for under $300, and there you might only be saving a few hundred grams over stock wheels.)

Further, unless you are riding pro, in which case your ride is sponsored ... 100 grams is only going to matter on paper. Not saying weight doesn't matter---man, has that idea been thrashed to meaningless here before---but that a really minute difference will only make a really minute difference. In most cases, going to lighter tires and tubes can gain you a hundred or a couple hundred grams .... and replacing the stock seat post and saddle will often save much more than that.

So ... if you are set on owning Carbon Fiber, for whatever reason,. Bikes Direct, and leftover models at local shops ... two best routes, IMO.

If however, your goal is to buy a Lightweight bike ... then stop looking at frame material. Look at overall weights (generally much harder to find, sadly) and go with the bike with the best components at your price point.

Another option is to look at bikes a few hundred dollars Below your maximum price, and budget in a set of Vuelta (for instance) wheels, lightweight tires, and a lightweight saddle.

Either way ... first you need to decide if you want CF or low weight--the two are not synonymous. Then you need to decide the absolute max you are willing to spend.

One final note---frames matter. if you get a cheap CF frame, because it is CF, then the frame might not be worth hanging a bunch of really good parts on. A very good frame, whatever the material, can be kept for a Long time, which means it will be a good investment---as will all the upgrades you will likely buy as time goes on. (Giant, for instance used to have a reputation for offering frames better than the components, which made later upgrades a good deal. No idea if that is still the case.)

You need to decide of you are going to buy a bike and basically do nothing but ride it, wash it, and lube it for the next five or ten years .... or if you might start replacing some of the components over time.

If Bikes Direct, for instance, offered a cheap bike with really good components (say, a heavy-ish Al frame with 105 or Ultegra---generally found when you buy the top of the line of a bottom-of-the-line bike) and also offered, at the same price point, a better bike with lesser components ... you can buy a 5800 105 group for about $350--$400. Ride the good frame and wheels with Sora or Tiagra for a couple seasons, buy and install the 105 group, and you will be happy from initial purchase until you retire the bike because You are too old to ride it.
Old 02-12-19, 02:14 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
WHY bother with the carbon get better components on a good aluminum frame? Cdale offers up a sweet cad 12 with Ultegra = great bike
I know when a person wants carbon or whatever it may be they are just after it but I couldn't agree more with @thehammerdog. If might consider a aluminum frame you can get better components and maybe a better ride in general if your looking for a cheap frame. I probably will never own carbon because of the cost and I won't know the difference between the 3-4 lbs you save with it.

I would suggest that if your going all in on carbon for a frame then I would save some more cash and getter a better frame right off the bat. Might be better off in the long run.

Or watch for used stuff. There are lots of used carbon frames on the market.
Old 02-12-19, 02:33 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
100% agree. Carbon is cool, but components matter. A really decent wheelset, used can be 30-75% off new and make a world of difference in the weight & feel department. Supple tires make for nice travels. Nice smooth quality shifters and proper gearing makes shifting seamless so you are always more likely to be in the optimum (fastest) gear. Responsive, predictable brakes let you ride further before slowing down.

Carbon is a cool component, what you want is the whole package. "Cheap" carbon...Well, like anything else, you get what you pay for. Honestly, aluminum has come a long way, gets you better components, & is out of fashion right now, so you get a lot of performance for your money.
Old 02-12-19, 02:52 PM
WhyFi

A Giant TCR Advanced is not cheap carbon. A Trek Emonda SL is not cheap carbon. A Cannondale SuperSix EVO is not cheap carbon. A Spec Tarmac Sport is not cheap carbon. Etc, etc. People arguing against "cheap carbon" in the $2k retail range (which would put previous year models in the OP's price range) need to update their 10-year-old argument.
Old 02-12-19, 03:00 PM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I think you'd be better served with a good aluminum bike like the C-Dale CAAD 12 w/ 105. $1575. https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined
Likes For JasonD67:
Old 02-12-19, 03:22 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by WhyFi
A Giant TCR Advanced is not cheap carbon. A Trek Emonda SL is not cheap carbon. A Cannondale SuperSix EVO is not cheap carbon. A Spec Tarmac Sport is not cheap carbon. Etc, etc. People arguing against "cheap carbon" in the $2k retail range (which would put previous year models in the OP's price range) need to update their 10-year-old argument.
yeah, actually ... people already suggested that. But he didn't say, "Make a single recommendation which might or not be helpful."

If he can find a year- or two-year-old bike at that quality level, in his size, in his area, he is lucky. if he rides a 54, 56, or 58, probably not. Those sell first as a rule. Also, it matters how many bike shops are near where he lives. The idea that just because Some folks in certain situations got great deals on leftover bikes, means that everyone can all the time, is simply incorrect.

So, yeah ... people suggested Both looking for leftovers, and alternatives. See, we aren't here trying to push an agenda, we are trying to help a fellow cyclist. Maybe no one had ever told him that CF is not Automatically better. Maybe he will find a good, affordable CF bike or maybe he will broaden his search. So long as he likes what he buys, I don't care.

I try to be helpful. Sorry if that troubles some folks.
Old 02-12-19, 03:22 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Given the time of year, it's worth looking around at local shops and seeing what they have for leftovers. Last years Giant Defy in carbon with 105 and hydro disc brakes was selling around here for under 1500 and there are probably similar bargains on other quality bikes.
Old 02-12-19, 03:28 PM
Maelochs

Anyway .... since the above suggestion to buy leftover models was mentioned in post #4 ... why do you feel a need to keep mentioning it? Pushing an agenda?

Seems to me suggesting a wider array of options is more useful than offering only one which might be of limited or no utility. (For instance, where I live (one bike shop) all the popular stuff sells Right away. People looking for last-year's leftovers are likely out of luck---it's a small shop and doesn't carry a lot of odd sizes or old inventory.)

But yeah ... now the idea of buying a leftover bike as a valid option has been mentioned Four times in this thread (posts #4 , #7 , #12 , and #13 .) i hope that is sufficient validation for you.

Now can we get back to helping the OP? Any new suggestions, in case he can't find leftovers locally, doesn't want to buy used, and doesn't see what he wants on BD?
Old 02-12-19, 03:37 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Love my Fuji Transonic, came with almost full Ultegra r8000 and can be had pretty cheap since Performance is going out of business. But it rides great, shifts great, and the direct mount brakes are fantastic. Upgrade the crank for $200 (which I did), and you've got a full Ultegra carbon aero bike for less than most people pay for a set of wheels.
Old 02-12-19, 03:49 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Love my Fuji Transonic, came with almost full Ultegra r8000 and can be had pretty cheap since Performance is going out of business. But it rides great, shifts great, and the direct mount brakes are fantastic. Upgrade the crank for $200 (which I did), and you've got a full Ultegra carbon aero bike for less than most people pay for a set of wheels.
105 version at BikesDirect: Save Up To 60% Off Carbon Road Bikes - New Fuji Transonic 2.9 LTD, Full Carbon AERO Road Bikes with Shimano 105 22 Speeds+ Aero Fast Wheelsets.

Cheap brakes and wheels. .

At Fuji Bikes Fuji Bikes - Transonic

I didn’t see one at performance Bike’s website … maybe if there is a store nearby. Fuji is usually excellent value for the money.
Old 02-12-19, 03:56 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Maelochs
yeah, actually ... people already suggested that. But he didn't say, "Make a single recommendation which might or not be helpful."

If he can find a year- or two-year-old bike at that quality level, in his size, in his area, he is lucky. if he rides a 54, 56, or 58, probably not. Those sell first as a rule. Also, it matters how many bike shops are near where he lives. The idea that just because Some folks in certain situations got great deals on leftover bikes, means that everyone can all the time, is simply incorrect.

So, yeah ... people suggested Both looking for leftovers, and alternatives. See, we aren't here trying to push an agenda, we are trying to help a fellow cyclist. Maybe no one had ever told him that CF is not Automatically better. Maybe he will find a good, affordable CF bike or maybe he will broaden his search. So long as he likes what he buys, I don't care.

I try to be helpful. Sorry if that troubles some folks.
Anyway .... since the above suggestion to buy leftover models was mentioned in post #4 ... why do you feel a need to keep mentioning it? Pushing an agenda?

Seems to me suggesting a wider array of options is more useful than offering only one which might be of limited or no utility. (For instance, where I live (one bike shop) all the popular stuff sells Right away. People looking for last-year's leftovers are likely out of luck---it's a small shop and doesn't carry a lot of odd sizes or old inventory.)

But yeah ... now the idea of buying a leftover bike as a valid option has been mentioned Four times in this thread (posts #4 , #7 , #12 , and #13 .) i hope that is sufficient validation for you.

Now can we get back to helping the OP? Any new suggestions, in case he can't find leftovers locally, doesn't want to buy used, and doesn't see what he wants on BD?
Do you actually make sense to yourself? My second post was not so much a reiteration of my previous suggestion as it was a rebuttal to the old "cheap carbon" trope that 41iers have been trotting out long past its expiration date. Sorry if being helpful troubles some folks like you. I'll leave now so you can bloviate per usual.
Old 02-12-19, 04:05 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
105 version at BikesDirect: Save Up To 60% Off Carbon Road Bikes - New Fuji Transonic 2.9 LTD, Full Carbon AERO Road Bikes with Shimano 105 22 Speeds+ Aero Fast Wheelsets.

Cheap brakes and wheels. .

At Fuji Bikes Fuji Bikes - Transonic

I didn’t see one at performance Bike’s website … maybe if there is a store nearby. Fuji is usually excellent value for the money.
The 2.3 has Ultegra (except for the crank), this is what I have, but actually got it cheaper at PB, even before they went bankrupt. If a shop has one in stock it would be a great deal, I think bikes are 40% off with the bankruptcy sale.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...arbon-road.htm
Old 02-12-19, 04:10 PM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
CONSIDER A PREOWNED BIKE. I found a 2014 Focus Izalco with full Ultegra in pristine condition. Asking price was $1,595.00... paid $1,200.00! Pedals and a good saddle for less than $100.00. I've ridden it for hundreds of miles over the past four months and I can not imagine a better CF bike at any price.

Old 02-12-19, 04:21 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonD67
I think you'd be better served with a good aluminum bike like the C-Dale CAAD 12 w/ 105. $1575. https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined
For $999 you can get a 2018 Fuji Roubaix with Ultegra:

Road Bikes | FUJI 2018 ROUBAIX 1.1 | ROUBAIX 1.1 | FUJI 2018 | BikeShopWarehouse.com | The <b> Fuji Roubaix</b> was designed with the goal of creating one of the lightest aluminum race bikes on the market.

I own this generation Roubaix frame and previously owned a CAAD 10 and CAAD 9 and this Roubaix is better. CAAD 12 may be marginally better then the Roubaix but weight is essentially the same as is geometry and ride and road feel are excellent. I've also had a previous generation TCR Advanced SL and a pretty nice open mold carbon frame and I don't see or fell any noticeable difference between carbon and newer high end aluminum. CAAD and new Roubaix have tube shapes and profiles that are the same as carbon bikes, full carbon forks with tapered head tubes and combined with 28mm tires they soak up as much road chatter as carbon and are plenty stiff where you need it.
Old 02-12-19, 04:52 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Old 02-12-19, 06:34 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
wow for the $$$$ that is one sweet ride
Old 02-12-19, 06:56 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
OP could check here what's available here to see if anything fits?

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikes/big-bike-sale/
Old 02-12-19, 07:17 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Check out Planet X, another UK site. https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOLS...l-22-road-bike
Old 02-13-19, 11:20 AM
kimguroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Bulls bike eBay still has some carbon bikes.
not sure your size is still available. It’s old components but still in your price range.
$900 for 105 and $1200 for ultegra.
with future eBay coupon, you might be able to get $100 off.
I was thinking about carbon bike too but decided to go with aluminum because of the price.
ultegra aluminum was $600 with coupon (sold out) and almost identical weight as carbon ultegra.
it’s not bad for the first road bike ^_^
https://www.ebay.com/sch/bbcalameda/...p2047675.l2562

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.