Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 02-01-19, 05:14 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,185 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by markjenn
Slightly wider perhaps, but not a ton. There's about 6mm clearance on each side at the fork with the stock 38mm tires, a bit less at the rear chainstays, maybe 4mm. I'd guess you could go 42mm without too much problem, but it would depend on the tire. Beyond this, I think you'd be at risk of jams, especially in dirt riding. I won't be going any wider and the clearances are tight enough I've decided to forgo fenders, at least if I'm running 38mm. (I think I mentioned in another post that my LBS felt 35mm was about as wide as you should go if you want to fit Plug-And-Play fenders.) When I replace tires, I might go down to 35mm.

- Mark
Interesting! I'm actually thinking of a quick switch to these if I find the tread pattern annoying:

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-bon-jon-pass/
Old 02-04-19, 08:56 PM
mikesdoublecab

Bikes: 2008 Paketa Magnesium Frame MTB, 2012 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid, 2010 Wilier Triestina Izoard Ultegra

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Last year I picked up a 2012 from Facebook Marketplace and it's been a great cruiser for me when I ride with my kids. On my roadie I kept riding the brakes but the Sirrus has been cool. This past month I tried clipless pedals for the first time and spent a few days practicing on the Sirrus before putting them on my roadie and I realized that the hybrid can go a lot faster than I had previously taken it. I now trade off between the two bikes depending on my mood.

I switched out the grips to Ergon GP3, switched out the saddle to a Prologo, and went with 700x28 slicks. I was thinking of changing out the groupset to a lighter set to shave some weight as I have to lift it over my head to load it into my truck, but not sure if it's worth the expense on a base model aluminum frame and steel fork. The thing weighs 26 pounds and I was wondering what everyone else's bikes weigh.

Old 02-06-19, 01:37 PM
badger1

2010 Sirrus Comp (E5/carbon stays/fork frameset). 19.4 lbs as pictured (LBS Park scale).
Old 02-14-19, 09:18 AM
ps249

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Ready to order my first Sirrus

Hello I am not new to this forum but new to Sirrus bikes. I just sold my hardtail mountain bike and want to put the money towards a Specialized Sirrus elite carbon (2019 model). I will get it in teal blue. Does anyone know if there are any known issues with this years models? I test drove a carbon sirrus about 2 years ago and I was blown away with the comfort and speed of this bike. I am looking to take possession of this bike by mid March at the latest. I live in Michigan and my riding season typically starts first of April.

UPDATE:

I put the order in. I should be able to pick it up by February 19. I will post pics and reviews in the coming month.

Last edited by ps249; 02-15-19 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-18-19, 03:25 PM
GeorgeMD

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ps249
Does anyone know if there are any known issues with this years models?
UPDATE:
I put the order in. I should be able to pick it up by February 19. I will post pics and reviews in the coming month.
So not to be a downer, I searched and noone mentioned that the steerer tube collar of the Carbon models with FutureShock were recalled (easy replacement repair at dealer).
Check with your dealer! (Edit:as a new user i cant post a link, trust me its real)

So what model did you end up getting? I started at the Comp X, was all set, then started researching more brands and thought I would go with Trek FX4 (22lbs), I looked at some more bikes, took a look here again and I dont know, something about this bike style wise gets me.

For me, my current setup came with 700x 38mm tires, and a simple fact is the Trek's come with 32mm tires and max out at 35 (not even sure you can go bigger on carbons from them).
Also if I want a 1x10 drivetrain and carbon with Trek, I need to get the FX6 @ 2300$ which brings me back to the value, against Trek Specialized does beat them in price by at least 100$ or more, maybe Im wrong
Headed to the dealer today.
I am lucky, they have a built X, as well as another carbon, both in Medium, so I got to wait a month.

Are these bikes ridiculously delicate? I know how to be super careful, and I dont even roll my 350$ bike off of curbs.
This bike will be used for exercise in a hilly suburban area, and the streets of Baltimore city (some potholes, lots of sidewalks where the traffic can be deadly) thanks!!!.......
Old 02-18-19, 06:29 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeMD
Are these bikes ridiculously delicate? I know how to be super careful, and I dont even roll my 350$ bike off of curbs.
This bike will be used for exercise in a hilly suburban area, and the streets of Baltimore city (some potholes, lots of sidewalks where the traffic can be deadly) thanks!!!.......

Have you considered getting a Surly Ogre?

A very versatile bike that you won't have to baby around.
Old 02-18-19, 11:54 PM
ps249

So not to be a downer, I searched and noone mentioned that the steerer tube collar of the Carbon models with FutureShock were recalled (easy replacement repair at dealer).
Check with your dealer! (Edit:as a new user i cant post a link, trust me its real)

So what model did you end up getting? I started at the Comp X, was all set, then started researching more brands and thought I would go with Trek FX4 (22lbs), I looked at some more bikes, took a look here again and I dont know, something about this bike style wise gets me.

For me, my current setup came with 700x 38mm tires, and a simple fact is the Trek's come with 32mm tires and max out at 35 (not even sure you can go bigger on carbons from them).
Also if I want a 1x10 drivetrain and carbon with Trek, I need to get the FX6 @ 2300$ which brings me back to the value, against Trek Specialized does beat them in price by at least 100$ or more, maybe Im wrong
I am lucky, they have a built X, as well as another carbon, both in Medium, so I got to wait a month.

I got the 2019 elite Carbon. Mine does not come with the future shock feature
Old 02-19-19, 08:22 AM
badger1

The collar recall is a non-issue, imo. Certainly hasn't led me to cancel my order (Sirrus X Comp). My LBS is busy replacing the old collar on customers' existing FS bikes, and tells me that all FS bikes shipped since the first week or so of January have the new collar factory installed.

Delicate? No; no reason to suppose so. Carbon composite is a mature technology at this point for bicycle frame construction, alongside aluminum, steel, titanium. If you buy a Sirrus X Comp it will not asplode underneath you if you jump a curb or bunny-hop a storm grate.
Old 02-19-19, 09:31 AM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
I want to get a fitness bike for my wife and narrowed it down to a Women's Sirrus Expert Carbon in a small but there doesn't seem to be any stock at any dealers and The Specialized web site shows all sizes out of stock.

I emailed Specialized but have not received a reply yet. Any one happen to know what Specialized plan is for this model?

Thanks
Old 02-20-19, 12:19 AM
ps249

Sirrus Elite Carbon arrived today. this bike is so beautiful my girlfriend is going to be jelous. I can see the metallic flakes in the teal blue paint. I am coming from the hardtail mountain bike scene so I am seeing alot of neat features for the first time. I am stoked to say the least.

2019 sirrus elite carbon
Old 02-20-19, 12:47 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by ps249
Sirrus Elite Carbon arrived today. this bike is so beautiful my girlfriend is going to be jelous. I can see the metallic flakes in the teal blue paint. I am coming from the hardtail mountain bike scene so I am seeing alot of neat features for the first time. I am stoked to say the least.

2019 sirrus elite carbon

Wowza.

That colour looks much better in the flesh than how Specialized has it appearing on their own website.

You look set for a lot of fun times ahead.
Old 02-20-19, 01:14 AM
ps249

[QUOTE=ColonelSanders;20803440]Wowza.

That colour looks much better in the flesh than how Specialized has it appearing on their own website.

You look set for a lot of fun times ahead. [/QUOT Thats the first thing I noticed was how much better it looks in person
Old 02-20-19, 09:34 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
That's really nice. I'm a sucker for blue bike (half of mine are blue). Congratulations.
Old 02-21-19, 12:40 PM
Midway

Originally Posted by Midway
I want to get a fitness bike for my wife and narrowed it down to a Women's Sirrus Expert Carbon in a small but there doesn't seem to be any stock at any dealers and The Specialized web site shows all sizes out of stock.

I emailed Specialized but have not received a reply yet. Any one happen to know what Specialized plan is for this model?

Thanks
I received a reply from Specialized and they do expect stock sometime in March. I think I will place a backorder but have a question on tire/wheel sizes.

The Expert Carbon comes with 30mm tires but seem to have the same rim size as the X Comp Carbon that comes with 38mm tires.

I assume I could change out the tires from 30mm to 38mm on the same rims if they turn out to be too skinny for my wife's liking? Any impact on fenders and clearance? I assume they use the same frame and there wouldn't be a problem.

Thank you.

Last edited by Midway; 02-21-19 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-21-19, 03:02 PM
Midway

I placed an order for the Women's Sirrus Expert Carbon in a small for my wife today. It will be 3 weeks or more before stock comes in and according to my bike store they have a different color scheme then the Specialized web site as shown below. It will be a surprise so I hope she likes the color and the bike. My daughter just got a Specialized Vita Sport so they should be well matched other then my daughter's fitness coming from an elite soccer background.

Women's Sirrus Expert Carbon
Old 02-22-19, 08:46 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by Midway
I received a reply from Specialized and they do expect stock sometime in March. I think I will place a backorder but have a question on tire/wheel sizes.

The Expert Carbon comes with 30mm tires but seem to have the same rim size as the X Comp Carbon that comes with 38mm tires.

I assume I could change out the tires from 30mm to 38mm on the same rims if they turn out to be too skinny for my wife's liking? Any impact on fenders and clearance? I assume they use the same frame and there wouldn't be a problem.

Thank you.
It was mentioned earlier in this thread that the Sirrus X frame is different than the Sirrus frame and thus wider tires may not fit.
Old 02-22-19, 09:19 AM
badger1

Originally Posted by prj71
It was mentioned earlier in this thread that the Sirrus X frame is different than the Sirrus frame and thus wider tires may not fit.
Yes, it's not clear at all to me -- and won't be til I get mine -- that the 'X' frame and the other current carbon Sirrus frames have the same tire clearance.

From the photo above from markjenn, the 'X' frame certainly has adequate clearance for its 38s; whether that would be true for the other carbon Sirrus frames, only one way to know for sure, absent confirmation from Specialized: measure and/or try it and see. Dealers should be able to help on this.
Old 02-22-19, 09:25 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by badger1
Yes, it's not clear at all to me -- and won't be til I get mine -- that the 'X' frame and the other current carbon Sirrus frames have the same tire clearance.

From the photo above from markjenn, the 'X' frame certainly has adequate clearance for its 38s; whether that would be true for the other carbon Sirrus frames, only one way to know for sure, absent confirmation from Specialized: measure and/or try it and see. Dealers should be able to help on this.
Check some Sirrus bikes at the shop or e-mail Specialized directly. I have had success e-mailing them and they get back to me within a day or 2.
Old 02-22-19, 10:13 AM
Midway

I've sent Specialized an email on tire/rim/frame sizes between the Expert Carbon and X Comp Carbon. I'll let you know if I hear back.
Old 02-22-19, 03:15 PM
badger1

Check some Sirrus bikes at the shop or e-mail Specialized directly. I have had success e-mailing them and they get back to me within a day or 2.
I'm not worried

The X Comp is the one I'm getting, so it will have clearance for 38s (stock tires), which is enough for me. Current bike's max. tire size is 32 (2010 Sirrus Comp).
Old 02-27-19, 04:47 PM
GeorgeMD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
blue

The collar recall is a non-issue, imo. Certainly hasn't led me to cancel my order (Sirrus X Comp). My LBS is busy replacing the old collar on customers' existing FS bikes, and tells me that all FS bikes shipped since the first week or so of January have the new collar factory installed.
Yup, I agree with you, I think it speaks well of them as a company. The recall made me second guess but I realize the collar has nothing to do with the tech itself. I don't know if the non-oem companies could respond to a recall as well as they do.
Delicate? No; no reason to suppose so. Carbon composite is a mature technology at this point for bicycle frame construction, alongside aluminum, steel, titanium. If you buy a Sirrus X Comp it will not asplode underneath you if you jump a curb or bunny-hop a storm grate.
Hehe, Im a bit paranoid an delicate with my toys, I realize this is a tough material.
The only thing that freaked me out was when I researched traveling long distance with bike rack on back of car, one scenario I read of is a carbon bike getting loose from its clasp, the frame rubbing against the metal rack destroying it.

Anyways, I went and sat on the Trek FX4, it was quite a sexy bike, however I think I sticking with the Xcomp. Im going to go test ride a size Medium, and if I like the feel of carbon (never tried it) I will order it in large.
CANT WAIT!
Old 02-28-19, 08:48 AM
prj71

The only thing that freaked me out was when I researched traveling long distance with bike rack on back of car, one scenario I read of is a carbon bike getting loose from its clasp, the frame rubbing against the metal rack destroying it.
This is why you buy a bike rack with tire hold downs instead of frame hold downs. Such as the Thule T2 pro or a 1up USA rack.
Old 03-01-19, 10:20 AM
GeorgeMD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is why you buy a bike rack with tire hold downs instead of frame hold downs. Such as the Thule T2 pro or a 1up USA rack.
Yea I made a big mistake, I got herniated lower back and Yakima has a 20 lb extra lite model. When I added hitch to my car and bought it, it was important I could mount it on my own.
Its a miserable SOB in that the straps are impossible to get on, so I use those twistie Tie things you can get at home depot. Ive decided to sell it now.
At 400-600$ a rack, I think buying a used minivan might be better haha, but seriously this is my first really expensive bike so I want to keep this one fresh.

Im headed to a store that has them in stock, I need to see the Purple Xcomp in person, it looks black to me in all the pictures.
After I see it, I am ordering! (from preferred LBS)

Last edited by GeorgeMD; 03-01-19 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-04-19, 09:05 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yea I made a big mistake, I got herniated lower back and Yakima has a 20 lb extra lite model. When I added hitch to my car and bought it, it was important I could mount it on my own.
Its a miserable SOB in that the straps are impossible to get on, so I use those twistie Tie things you can get at home depot. Ive decided to sell it now.
At 400-600$ a rack, I think buying a used minivan might be better haha, but seriously this is my first really expensive bike so I want to keep this one fresh.

Im headed to a store that has them in stock, I need to see the Purple Xcomp in person, it looks black to me in all the pictures.
FWIW, if you are in the US, Rocky Mounts Monorail hitch mounted tray style bike rack that I'm really loving. Takes less than a minute to load or unload a bike, and they are securely held in place if loaded properly with NO RUB on the frame. I bought it to carry my carbon mountain bike, but it works equally well with my carbon road bike, and steel gravel bike.
It's highly recommended that for carbon bikes that tray style racks be used and not the bike hanging style. Carbon bike frames are not uniformly strong, in the case meaning the frames aren't designed to support weight from the underside of the top tube and so will typically be very thin walled there, where as carbon frames are design to support weight from above with the force transmitted through the wheels.
Likes For quicktrigger:
Old 03-04-19, 09:44 PM
Midway

I have a Yakama hitch rack that holds 4 bikes, frame hanging style with extra tie straps below for the wheels that add additional stability while also keeping the wheels from spinning. My impression is that it is stable and easy on even a carbon frame, It is about 20 years old. I'll take a picture and add it when I get a chance. I'd like to compare it it GeorgeMD's model. I don't see the risk but want to be sure with our two new carbon frame bikes. I also have a roof bike rack that hold the bike from the wheels. I've never used or installed it. I could put that on and put a second bike inside the Landcruiser if needed.

Last edited by Midway; 03-04-19 at 10:13 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.