Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road Pictures Of My Crash Site

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-18-19, 05:15 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Finally rode past the spot where I crashed 6 months ago. It’s a very innocent looking spot, just like one we all have ridden by numerous times.

I guess some of the gravel was out on the pavement that night. It’s hard to see in the pictures but there are a number of pieces of gravel that are larger than what you might normally see. I guess they were just large enough to launch my bike up into the air. Unfortunately I was on the bike when it went flying and still on it when it landed on it’s side!!

All signs of skin and blood on the pavement had washed away!!

Got in 80 miles today. My longest ride with my new hip.
Old 02-18-19, 06:25 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
80 Miles

keep rockin it
Old 02-18-19, 08:48 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
go, Go, GO!
Old 02-19-19, 02:26 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Great to read you have recovered so well. The pictures of the crash sight do show how dangerous gravelly stuff can be across seal surfaces especially in or at the end of curved areas.

80 miles is a pretty decent ride. Well done!
Old 02-19-19, 08:32 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
it happens-- hoping for you, just scrapes and nothing bent or broken.... I'm finally going in for an umbilical hernia repair that dates back to my offroad over-the-bars disaster ~8 years ago.
Old 02-19-19, 09:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
if you ride that area regularly, would it make any sense to visit that spot with a broom, in your car, on a quiet Sunday morning, when there is no traffic?
Old 02-19-19, 10:00 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Ouch. Looks like some nasty stuff to fall into. Glad to hear you've recovered so well.
Old 02-19-19, 07:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ouch. That stuff can be hard to see in some situations. A couple of years ago a road crew had freshly chipsealed an intersection where lots of cyclists ride -- fast. No warning signs. They left loose gravel scattered around and it blended in with the fresh chipseal (which has the lumpy texture of gravel but sorta epoxied into place). It was an overcast day and there was no shadow to distinguish the loose gravel from the fresh chipseal.

Fortunately I wasn't blasting downhill toward the curve, but coming from a flat section toward the uphill bit. I hit that loose gravel and skidded sideways but didn't fall. Made me more appreciative of fatter tires with plenty of tread. If I'd been on my road bike I'd probably have gone down.

Warped the rear wheel but was able to ride to the shop slowly. It could have been a lot worse. I posted a warning on a couple of local bike pages on Facebook to warn other folks.

Then a little over a year ago one November evening I heard a *clink!* and *hiss!*. Some slate had fallen off a construction crew's flatbed trailer. This time I was on the road bike with skinny slicks, but was heading in a straight line and didn't skid.

It was the same color as the pavement, and blended in so it was almost impossible to see in the fading light. Slate tends to break not only into pieces but into thin layers, some as thin as a credit card and razor sharp. It was scattered so evenly across the road it would have been impossible to avoid even if I'd seen it. Fortunately I didn't skid. After patching the tire I picked up as much as I could of the broken slate, swept some off with a piece of cardboard or gatorboard sign material. I kept one piece as a souvenir -- it's shaped like an arrowhead and about as sharp.

After that I started mounting my headlights a bit lower to pick up more shadow from road hazards.
Old 02-19-19, 11:05 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
After that I started mounting my headlights a bit lower to pick up more shadow from road hazards.
Those low mounts for the headies really do apply a lot more than thought by people who opt for handlebars as the best position choice. The top of the front fork is my current preferred spot for mounting because it doesn't create a shadow of the wheel which lower mounting on the fork can produce. The real service for helmet lights for me is lighting up stuff on the handlebars or bar bag, such as directional instructions, and reading street name signs when riding past them.

None of this, of course, was applicable to jppe, but the surface sure was/is.
Old 02-19-19, 11:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I know some folks dislike low mounted headlights because they feel it exaggerates road hazards. I needed a couple of rides to adjust to the different perception of even small bits of gravel, etc., but overall I'd rather see everything than miss something important. It's not much different from typical car headlight patterns, which are typically lower than bicycle handlebar mounted headlights.
Old 02-20-19, 09:52 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

I know some folks dislike low mounted headlights because they feel it exaggerates road hazards. I needed a couple of rides to adjust to the different perception of even small bits of gravel, etc., but overall I'd rather see everything than miss something important. It's not much different from typical car headlight patterns, which are typically lower than bicycle handlebar mounted headlights.

Great idea!! I've never gotten comfortable riding at night just for those reasons of not being able to pick out stuff I'd probably subconsciously avoid during the day. Maybe it I just rode a little slower???
Old 02-20-19, 09:55 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by McBTC
it happens-- hoping for you, just scrapes and nothing bent or broken.... I'm finally going in for an umbilical hernia repair that dates back to my offroad over-the-bars disaster ~8 years ago.
Unfortunately landed on my right hip and it was dislocated and broken. I had a full hip replacement the next day.....I'm nowhere near the conditioning I was when I crashed but trying to get better ever so slowly. Riding slower but still enjoying being out on the road.
Old 02-20-19, 09:58 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Ouch. That stuff can be hard to see in some situations. A couple of years ago a road crew had freshly chipsealed an intersection where lots of cyclists ride -- fast. No warning signs. They left loose gravel scattered around and it blended in with the fresh chipseal (which has the lumpy texture of gravel but sorta epoxied into place). It was an overcast day and there was no shadow to distinguish the loose gravel from the fresh chipseal.

Fortunately I wasn't blasting downhill toward the curve, but coming from a flat section toward the uphill bit. I hit that loose gravel and skidded sideways but didn't fall. Made me more appreciative of fatter tires with plenty of tread. If I'd been on my road bike I'd probably have gone down.

Warped the rear wheel but was able to ride to the shop slowly. It could have been a lot worse. I posted a warning on a couple of local bike pages on Facebook to warn other folks.

Then a little over a year ago one November evening I heard a *clink!* and *hiss!*. Some slate had fallen off a construction crew's flatbed trailer. This time I was on the road bike with skinny slicks, but was heading in a straight line and didn't skid.

It was the same color as the pavement, and blended in so it was almost impossible to see in the fading light. Slate tends to break not only into pieces but into thin layers, some as thin as a credit card and razor sharp. It was scattered so evenly across the road it would have been impossible to avoid even if I'd seen it. Fortunately I didn't skid. After patching the tire I picked up as much as I could of the broken slate, swept some off with a piece of cardboard or gatorboard sign material. I kept one piece as a souvenir -- it's shaped like an arrowhead and about as sharp.

I had issues with visibility recently riding on shaded gravel roads with sunglasses. It was really hard to pick out "depressions" and other semi hazards in the road. I wound up taking off the glasses. It didn't help that I was riding with a group that was pushing the pace...
Old 02-20-19, 10:02 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
if you ride that area regularly, would it make any sense to visit that spot with a broom, in your car, on a quiet Sunday morning, when there is no traffic?
Good idea but it might not be practical to sweep it regularly since it's a good ways from the house. It's on one of the main riding routes that a lot of riders use regularly but it's out in a pretty rural area. I suspect vehicles coming out of the driveway just drag it out into the road over time.

But maybe I'll take a paint can out and do some sort of hazard warning on the road???? Good tip!
Old 02-20-19, 10:06 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I recall reading in Bicycling magazine about how as eyes age, it gets more difficult to distinguish light and dark areas of the road (especially in shade or when wearing sunglasses) and so as a result, hospitals see a lot 55+ riders who were injured as a result of not seeing potholes in the road. I know my vision in low light conditions is terrible these days, and I've mostly given up wearing sunglasses when driving, because subtle details are much harder to see while wearing shades (less so with high quality lenses).
Old 02-20-19, 10:33 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Unfortunately landed on my right hip and it was dislocated and broken. I had a full hip replacement the next day.....I'm nowhere near the conditioning I was when I crashed but trying to get better ever so slowly. Riding slower but still enjoying being out on the road.
That's pretty major and... it happens so quick. I was sidelined for years due to a cranky knee that I'd busted up in the 70s and then, a failed knee replacement. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy to have made it back and I know I'll never get much faster but like you, I am still enjoying being out on the road.
Old 02-20-19, 11:03 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Finally rode past the spot where I crashed 6 months ago. It’s a very innocent looking spot, just like one we all have ridden by numerous times.

I guess some of the gravel was out on the pavement that night. It’s hard to see in the pictures but there are a number of pieces of gravel that are larger than what you might normally see. I guess they were just large enough to launch my bike up into the air. Unfortunately I was on the bike when it went flying and still on it when it landed on it’s side!!

All signs of skin and blood on the pavement had washed away!!

Got in 80 miles today. My longest ride with my new hip.
Yikes! Where is road maintenance? Glad you recovered well and 80 miles is a good distance.
Old 02-20-19, 02:57 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know, why were you riding so close to the edge?

Heal fast!
Old 02-20-19, 09:15 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Inquiring minds want to know, why were you riding so close to the edge?

Heal fast!

I was probably 1 1/2-2’ into the road from the white line. The gravel had made its way out into the road. I was riding in a paceline with one of my regular groups. We weren’t killing it but were traveling 21-22 mph. I was 4th or 5th from the front with a group of about 15. I suspect I drifted just a smidge to the right of the rider ahead of me. I couldn’t have been on the edge of the asphalt as my hip and chin bounced off the pavement and not the dirt so I had to be at least a few feet into the road. No one ahead of me signaled for debris. I was the only rider that went down but the rider behind me rode over my front wheel. I had pinch flats in both the front and rear tubes.
Old 02-21-19, 10:03 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Glad your ok and still riding. What size tires?
Old 02-21-19, 10:42 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Braver man than I, I have no idea where I crashed, memory loss. And I have no desire to see that spot either.
Old 02-21-19, 12:54 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Glad your ok and still riding. What size tires?
I’m pretty sure I had 23s on my wheels that night. I’m using more 25s & 28s these days.
Old 02-21-19, 01:45 PM
Steeljag

Bikes: Giant TCR Adv Pro I

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Glad your ok, and still riding !
Old 02-27-19, 11:52 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 145 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. For my own mental health, as soon as I was able to, I hobbled over to my accident location while still on crutches, just to examine the site and make sure I didn't do anything too stupid. But I avoid that piece of road now like the plaque. Rubber side down!