Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Protecting bike from salt and rust in commutes

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 02-20-19, 10:56 AM
wc1472

Bikes: 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I just bought a vintage bianchi road bike with a steel frame and nice components. It's currently winter where I live, and this means that there is often the typical mix of slush/salt/snow/dirt on the roads. I've had issues with bikes getting damaged and parts not working in the past, and I would like this bike especially to be protected from that. The paint on the frame is still pretty good, not much damage is visible. How much should I be worried about the bike? I usually commute a short distance (>10 minutes) and then the bike is locked outside to a bike rack. When I am at home I keep all my bikes inside as a general rule.

What is a good set of rules/strategies to protect the components/frame? I don't want the nipples to seize, things to rust, etc. I also could potentially wash the bike but it would be quite a big hassle (no garden hose etc in my apartment).

Is my best strategy to just ride my beater mountain bike around or are there ways to realistically protect my bike well?
Old 02-20-19, 11:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Just wash it often with fresh water, keep it clean oiled chain , etc .. bucket brushes and sponge .. how about the bathtub?
Old 02-20-19, 02:49 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Ride the beater bike for daily commutes, and save the nice road bike for nicer weather, or weekends when you can devote 30 minutes to post-ride cleaning and maintenance after every ride.
Old 02-20-19, 04:58 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Some strategies you could consider:
  • Use a hand-pump garden sprayer to hose down your bike with warm water (store inside afterwards). $20 at your hardware store
  • Replace all bolts with stainless steel bolts. Grease threads. Only use stainless steel cables.
  • Consider a more rust resistant chain
  • Protect inside of steel frame against rust (Frame saver, Boeshield T-9, boiled linseed oil)
  • Regularly keep your drive train free of gunk and sand
  • Touch up on all scratches and paint chips on your steel frame BEFORE rust starts
  • Aim to replace as many plain steel parts with stainless steel or aluminum versions as reasonable.
  • You can use something like thick grease or Vaseline to cover up moving plain steel parts, such as derailleur joints, etc (not chain!). Needs cleaning and replenishing once a season
  • Use nosed housing ends and other covers to reduce water ingress into cable housing (esp. those that are pointing upwards and where water can collect in a housing)
  • Full-coverage fenders with long mudflaps
Edit: in agreement with Jim (below): the best bikes go in winter storage inside. With good care (and using some of the tips above) you can ride a nice bike through winter and not wreck it completely. But wear and tear is higher in winter, so you are going to replace components a little earlier. I wouldn't want to see this with my $400 tandem bike hubs. With my standard disc hubs of my decent-quality hardtail MTB (winter commuter), no problem!
If you don't want the additional maintenance and care, beaters are your best bet.

Last edited by alias5000; 02-20-19 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 06:35 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Ride the beater bike for daily commutes, and save the nice road bike for nicer weather, or weekends when you can devote 30 minutes to post-ride cleaning and maintenance after every ride.
My strategy too. My pristine carbon fiber bike is completely in storage from December to March.

Even on dry roads, I wonder about salt dust from so much laid down. I wait until a good drenching rainfall occurs after the presumed last road salting, to wash most away.
Old 02-20-19, 07:24 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Maybe something like Boeshield, which was developed to protect aircraft from corrosion would help. But don't get it on the brake track on the rims.
Old 02-20-19, 11:49 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by wc1472
So I just bought a vintage bianchi road bike with a steel frame and nice components. It's currently winter where I live, and this means that there is often the typical mix of slush/salt/snow/dirt on the roads. I've had issues with bikes getting damaged and parts not working in the past, and I would like this bike especially to be protected from that. The paint on the frame is still pretty good, not much damage is visible. How much should I be worried about the bike? I usually commute a short distance (>10 minutes) and then the bike is locked outside to a bike rack. When I am at home I keep all my bikes inside as a general rule.

What is a good set of rules/strategies to protect the components/frame? I don't want the nipples to seize, things to rust, etc. I also could potentially wash the bike but it would be quite a big hassle (no garden hose etc in my apartment).

Is my best strategy to just ride my beater mountain bike around or are there ways to realistically protect my bike well?
You know that ">10 minutes" means more than 10 minutes, right?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-21-19, 05:15 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't bother cleaning my bikes during winter. I rinse the salt off with water once a year at the end of winter season and keep everything well lubed. Don't worry about a little bit of rust on the chain, bolts and other hardware, the rust is just cosmetic. The most important thing is protecting the frame. Spray some automotive rustproofing oil inside the frame.
Old 02-21-19, 06:02 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My strategy too. My pristine carbon fiber bike is completely in storage from December to March.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't bother cleaning my bikes during winter.I rinse the salt off with water once a year at the end of winter season and keep everything well lubed.

Don't worry about a little bit of rust on the chain, bolts and other hardware, the rust is just cosmetic. The most important thing is protecting the frame. Spray some automotive rustproofing oil inside the frame.
So too I don’t bother cleaning my beater either. We live in a small downtown condo, and I don’t have easily accessible facilities, like a garage.

If the bike, mainly the drive train is particularly filthy, my bike shop one block away does a good cleaning.
Besides time, I have never had good facilities to work easily. Even now we live in a relatively small, but elegant condo, and my wife would frown on a room with a bike stand. Having the LBS do it all, in my case is a really good deal.

The shop is one block away, and they will fix many things at a convenient time for me [especially when not busy during bad weather].

They are so expert that they can do these things quickly, better than me, and often spot problems that I did not see. Whenever I leave the shop, the bikes ride as if new again.

Because the bikes are a major transportation mode for me, keeping them in good repair is critical. We save a lot of money on transportation, so further using the LBS is even more cost-effective
Hats off to Back Bay Bikes.
My beater is a good quality aluminum Specialized Diverge, and I bought it as a good-riding beater that I would nonetheless subject to the elements, without the distress of messing up my high end Specialized S-Works.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-21-19 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-21-19, 06:39 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't bother cleaning my bikes during winter. I rinse the salt off with water once a year at the end of winter season and keep everything well lubed. Don't worry about a little bit of rust on the chain, bolts and other hardware, the rust is just cosmetic. The most important thing is protecting the frame. Spray some automotive rustproofing oil inside the frame.
I prepare my winter bike in the fall by removing any rust spots I find, touching up the paint, and then greasing and oiling.

In the winter it's too cold and messy to bother with much. I wipe off the chain from time to time, and apply fresh oil. Any cleaning I try seems futile—the next slushy day negates my efforts.
Old 02-21-19, 06:53 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
My beater is a good quality aluminum Specialized Diverge, and I bought it as a good-riding beater that I would nonetheless subject to the elements, without the distress of messing up my high end Specialized S-Works.
I bought a used carbon s-works tri-cross for my winter bike. It wasn’t very expensive and I don’t worry about rust. I usually rinse off the muck that accumulates on the the weekend if I’m riding with a group.
Old 02-21-19, 04:13 PM
Travolta709

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I leave near the ocean and I always use lubes like carbon pro heavy lube or green oil lube. My bike and other "toys" stored in the garage, but corrosion is not sleep. I forgot about my child's bike for 3 month and when found him in the corner of the garage it was all in corrosion.
Old 02-21-19, 09:20 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Maybe something like Boeshield, which was developed to protect aircraft from corrosion would help. But don't get it on the brake track on the rims.
I use a mixture of Boeshield T9, LPS 3 and ACF-50, in about equal proportions. The mixture works better than any of the components individually and I get all 3 from aircraft suppliers. I may need to reapply the mixture only once or twice per winter and this only on the chain - on other places it holds on with far more resilience.
Old 02-21-19, 11:42 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ride carbon , throw those penny smelling paper weights in the trash bro !!!

carbon is rarbon !!!!!!
Old 02-26-19, 05:13 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
In theory, baby wipes were a good idea. I managed to keep my bike nice and sparkly through the early part of winter by taking a couple of wipes and removing dirt and gunk from the frame after each commute.

In practice, the plan failed; once it actually got cold, the wipes just froze to the frame. If I had a microwave it might be worth heating them up (in the style of airplane hot towels!) and giving that a go.
Old 02-26-19, 08:14 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I do have "beater" that I ride on wet, snowy, salt coated roads. My "other" bathroom has a good sized, tiled shower stall with flexible water tubing and a movable shower head. I put my bike in there and give it at least a good hosing off, let it drip dry a bit, and then wipe it off and lubricate as necessary.
Old 02-27-19, 12:44 PM
Orkun KnighTR34

Bikes: 2016 Kron TX 150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Congest top of your seat tube with hot glue. Rain and washing water goes to bottom bracket through the hole on seat tube. Water causes bottom bracket to rust, then rust spreads to frame and make it trashed. I had this kind of experience, my previous bb has trashed only at 9000 km because of moisture but I was lucky because I use 6061 alloy frame.
Old 03-05-19, 09:53 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by wc1472
I usually commute a short distance (>10 minutes)
Fenders to avoid throwing road salt and such up onto the drivetrain is about all you can do.

and then the bike is locked outside to a bike rack.
What's worst for the bike here is getting rained or snowed directly on. Ideally you could find a rack underneath some sort of roofing (like in a parking garage or something) so it's not directly exposed to rain and snow.