Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Plantar fasciitis?

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Plantar fasciitis?

Old 03-06-18, 03:43 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Been fighting it for almost a year now. My wife dealt with it for a year and finally stretched her way out of it. The doc told her the only cure is continuously stretching. I started stretching last summer and lately I have started using some Yoga poses twice a day to stretch things out and it is really working well. Saturday I worked all day on my feet and had minimal pain afterwards. Try it, you'll like it!
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
It's worth going to a physical therapist who knows athletes for this kind of thing; I did and she diagnosed me with a pretty different set of muscular condition than my own googling or family doc had come up with (same effect, tight muscles and plantar fasciitis, just different cause). Because she was correct about what was up with me, I had a different set of stretches to do for recovery than what I had otherwise thought I needed.

Also, for me, I guess I was lucky, this whole thing came from trying to mix running with cycling; I never had to stop riding, just give up the running, and that is not a loss for me...
Originally Posted by jskash
The best stretch for me when I had plantar fasciitis was to stand on the edge of a a raised porch, a curb, or something raised and lower my heels down.
+1 on the above comments.

I find a Naprosyn, Aleve, to be more effective than Ibuprofen, when a little senioritis sets in.
Old 03-06-18, 10:01 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 891 Posts
I'm trying to do this hardcore. The less chemicals in my body, the better for me.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-06-18, 11:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
I'm trying to do this hardcore. The less chemicals in my body, the better for me.
...when I experienced plantar fasciitis back when I used to run and skip rope a lot, the only thing that helped was orthotics. This was 30 years ago, so I had to go to a podiatrist and get them custom cast. Now I use the heat moldable ones in all my shoes and along with some yoga and stretching, it's good without drugs.

I had just the beginnings of heel spurs visible on the x-rays, never had any surgery, and they eventually seem to have gone away...or at least don't bother me any more. Like someone said, it took six months or a year and I had to stop running for a while. Running is stupid anyway.
Old 03-07-18, 12:55 AM
Patriot1 
Retired loving & Life!

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I had a bad case of PF several years ago, I wear orthotics in all of my shoes now. This may sound odd, but it was brought on by standing on a step ladder while cleaning porch ceiling fans at my home. Went to an ortho Doc who actually gave me shots of cortisone in both of my heels..ouch! PF is very painful and took months to get over. I hope you get to feeling better, it helps to stretch.
Old 03-16-18, 06:51 PM
GetUpnGo

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think what you're already doing to treat it will work eventually. I had PF last year following hip surgery. I was instructed to do what you're doing now and it only lasted two or three weeks.

Leaning against a wall is good but if you can make some sort of wedge to increase the angle of your foot it helps a lot.

I know everyone recommends support in your shoes, but for me the solution has been moderate support plus ample cushioning. I tried the (green) Superfeet and they were very painful, way too hard. I tried custom orthotics for my ski boots about 10 years ago and found those way too hard as well. I get relief from Dr Scholl's insoles sold at Walmart. Sore Soles for my regular shoes: https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Re...27s+sore+soles

And these for my hiking boots because they're extra thick: https://www.amazon.com/Scholls-Odor-.../dp/B00IN43NTA
Old 03-18-18, 04:59 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Finally after 3 months I am starting to notice it less, so hopefully it is going away. I have the orange superfeet in my work shoes and green in the hiking shoes. I stretch the calf muscle numerous times throughout the day. I, too, had hip replacement about a year before the onset of this. When it came on I wondered if the change in my gait helped Cause it. I am planning a week long bike trip in June, and still am a bit concerned of it coming on and spoiling that trip.

Last edited by dannwilliams; 03-18-18 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-19-18, 05:40 AM
GetUpnGo

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dannwilliams
I, too, had hip replacement about a year before the onset of this. When it came on I wondered if the change in my gait helped Cause it. .
My doctor said yes, the PF was caused by my hip replacement. My PT had a great explanation for how it happened, but I forget what it was. In my case the operated hip came out 1/4" longer, which changed the stresses and my gait and caused hip bursitis.

It sounds like your job is greatly contributing to this. Can you take a steel water bottle to work and roll your foot on it several times a day? Can you stand on a rubber pad as someone suggested?

Have you had ultrasound therapy on your heel? That helped me.
Old 03-19-18, 02:39 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GetUpnGo
My doctor said yes, the PF was caused by my hip replacement. My PT had a great explanation for how it happened, but I forget what it was. In my case the operated hip came out 1/4" longer, which changed the stresses and my gait and caused hip bursitis.

It sounds like your job is greatly contributing to this. Can you take a steel water bottle to work and roll your foot on it several times a day? Can you stand on a rubber pad as someone suggested?

Have you had ultrasound therapy on your heel? That helped me.
I am really looking forward to the day I no longer will be working long days on my feet on concrete! My knees, hips, and back will rejoice the day my retirement begins. Unfortunately that day is still a ways down the road. I am finding I now need to take better care of those joints with plenty of stretching, which I am a little bit of a slacker when it comes to doing. I am getting better, tho!
Old 02-28-19, 06:58 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Kind of an old thread, but now that I have this ailment, I've found it very helpful. But I do have a question I haven't seen answered.

Does walking help or hurt this problem? I wake up feeling pretty good, but when I start walking the pain kicks in and sticks around then most of the day, so I'm not sure if I should try and stay off it or push myself. I am doing most of the things you guys have mentioned like the boot, stretching and insoles, but I just want to know if I should walk to help cure it or rest it as much as possible.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-19, 07:38 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I use arch supports, have for decades to keep my back from getting sore. Never helped with plantar. Stretch, stretch, stretch. Calf muscle especially. This past year I had to deal with it and the only thing that helped was stretching every single day. Took a full 12 months to subside. My wife had the same experience the year before.
Old 02-28-19, 09:51 PM
ALANB58

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My podiatrist got me a boot but it is clunky with hard points and straps so I just ordered a soft boot. I have custom orthotic insolses and they help. I also got a small impact massager, that helps a lot. This has been a long term issue for me, standing for more than a few minutes is the worst, walking is fine.
Old 03-01-19, 06:06 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I use arch supports, have for decades to keep my back from getting sore. Never helped with plantar. Stretch, stretch, stretch. Calf muscle especially. This past year I had to deal with it and the only thing that helped was stretching every single day. Took a full 12 months to subside. My wife had the same experience the year before.
Originally Posted by ALANB58
My podiatrist got me a boot but it is clunky with hard points and straps so I just ordered a soft boot. I have custom orthotic insolses and they help. I also got a small impact massager, that helps a lot. This has been a long term issue for me, standing for more than a few minutes is the worst, walking is fine.
I can deal with the pain well enough I guess, its the length of time this seems to need for healing that is sort of worrying.

I wonder what makes this take so long to heal?! Old age?
Old 04-06-19, 05:17 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
I can deal with the pain well enough I guess, its the length of time this seems to need for healing that is sort of worrying.

I wonder what makes this take so long to heal?! Old age?
I had that some years ago now; I probably mentioned it here. Thought it'd never get better. Stopped me running but not cycling or standing up on the pedals.
I'm running again now. Still a little weakness, but, well it's nearly there. Same with my right shoulder, thumbs, elbows . . . they do get better if you work them,