Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll Comp & Elite

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Specialized Roll Comp & Elite

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 07:29 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by GLJo
I suspect you are confusing the current Roll with the totally different older bike that was also (confusingly!) called 'Roll' - maybe Globe Roll ??
Indeed, thanks for shedding light I didn't know was missing. I knew I was referring to the lovely Globe Roll 8, but I didn't know I was confused, which is a shame because I was on a four-to-five-day unconfused roll.
Old 07-02-18, 09:25 PM
JRoll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Roll

I bought a 2018 Roll Sport about a month ago. I had an Expedition Sport for a few years, but never really rode it much except when on vacation. I’m trying to get more active, so I’ve been riding the Roll 30-40 miles/week (I’m 10 mile increments). Anyway, I really enjoy the bike. I’m 47, 6’1” and 285# - I’ve lost 10#. I bought my wife a low entry Roll 3 weeks ago. She loves the bike and the color. She is a runner, but is also riding with me, now.
Old 07-02-18, 09:41 PM
JRoll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salty Pete
Yeah I wish there were more options available too.
About how many miles did you get with the stock tires. Also, it looks like those tires are slightly wider than the stock tires. Can you tell the maximum width that will fit on the roll?
Old 07-04-18, 01:21 AM
Salty Pete

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JRoll

About how many miles did you get with the stock tires. Also, it looks like those tires are slightly wider than the stock tires. Can you tell the maximum width that will fit on the roll?
Not sure the precise miles. I got two or three flats with the stock tires. The new ones are slightly more narrow than the stock ones.
Old 08-29-18, 09:55 AM
Cloudscout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anybody know where I can get a set of handlebars like the ones on the Roll? I want to put them on my other bike as well but I'm not finding much. There are plenty of bars with smaller and larger rises but that 125mm rise seems perfect for what I'm doing.
Old 03-09-19, 08:20 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Really Digging this 2019 color.
Headed to our local Specialized bike dealer this morning. Ordering (2) Rolls, one for my wife in L and one for me in XL.
Old 03-12-19, 01:18 PM
GeorgeMD

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot1
Really Digging this 2019 color.
Headed to our local Specialized bike dealer this morning. Ordering (2) Rolls, one for my wife in L and one for me in XL.
Very nice, that one seriously got my eye, If I find myself getting a second roll (Im thinking its a good platform for a bafang electric build) I might go with one of these matte cammo colors.
I ended up just ordered the Comp, my dealer found me a 2018 Elite for 650$ (760$ as it's pre-tarrif model, and my dealer somehow got me 100 off more), but I decided the Comp because I
REALLY want matte paint (18' elite is glossy black), and I also bought (what will be my primary machine) the Sirrus Carbon Comp X and that is a 1x11, so why not match.
Plus this bike is so versatile, especially for Baltimore City I will have no issue selling it for close to what I paid.

I wanted to let people know you can still get 2018 models that are pre August 18' tarrif/tax. Dont assume just because your dealer doesnt have an 18' on the floor he can't get one.
The 19' elite is now 900$, same price as the Comp.
I am buying this bike blind, we only have TWO specialized dealers in Baltimore (crazy right, plenty of LBS, but they are all Trek)

Also, as I don't see a dedicated thread to Roll Owners, is this is it? Does anyone want to volunteer making one?
I take delivery of mine Friday, I will def have opinions after a 10 mile test on the hills of my city. I also am curious for mods to try and lighten the bike as well as going tubeless, and if that needs new wheels from say Easton Corp, which ones. hehe.
Love new bike day!
Old 03-12-19, 02:11 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
There are a few Roll threads. There is another one just a few down from this in the list (on the afternoon of 12 March): Specialized Roll: A new type hybrid.

They are definitely an interesting bike, with an interesting riding position. I test-rode one about this time last year. I ultimately bought a more conventional hybrid (Giant Roam, analog to the Specialized Crosstrail), but the Roll was a fun ride.
Old 03-12-19, 05:12 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Originally Posted by GeorgeMD
Very nice, that one seriously got my eye, If I find myself getting a second roll (Im thinking its a good platform for a bafang electric build) I might go with one of these matte cammo colors.
I ended up just ordered the Comp, my dealer found me a 2018 Elite for 650$ (760$ as it's pre-tarrif model, and my dealer somehow got me 100 off more), but I decided the Comp because I
REALLY want matte paint (18' elite is glossy black), and I also bought (what will be my primary machine) the Sirrus Carbon Comp X and that is a 1x11, so why not match.
Plus this bike is so versatile, especially for Baltimore City I will have no issue selling it for close to what I paid.

I wanted to let people know you can still get 2018 models that are pre August 18' tarrif/tax. Dont assume just because your dealer doesnt have an 18' on the floor he can't get one.
I am buying this bike blind, we only have TWO specialized dealers in Baltimore (crazy right, plenty of LBS, but they are all Trek)

Also, as I don't see a dedicated thread to Roll Owners, is this is it? Does anyone want to volunteer making one?
I take delivery of mine Friday, I will def have opinions after a 10 mile test on the hills of my city. I also am curious for mods to try and lighten the bike as well as going tubeless, and if that needs new wheels from say Easton Corp, which ones. hehe.
Love new bike day!
I am considering having both our new Rolls converted to Shimano Hydro brakes. My local dealer said it’s a pretty straight forward removal of the low end Promax mechanical brakes and install the Shimano Hydros. I was wondering if any Roll owners have done this brake conversion?

Last edited by Patriot1; 03-13-19 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-12-19, 05:28 PM
GeorgeMD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am considering having both our new Rolls converted to Shimano Hydro brakes. My local dealer said it’s a pretty straight forward removal of the Promax mechanical brakes and install the Hydros. I was wondering if any Roll owners have done this brake conversion?
While I cannot answer your question (other to say you shoulda gotten the Elite or Comp) as this is my first disc bike I am sure your LBS is right, I just don't think it is worth the money.
My LBS owner tried to talk me out of the Elite model, saying the mechs were plenty for relaxed riding, but I really wanted the matte paint job.
My non technical advice, use the mechanical brakes until they are crappy then replace. If they suck out the box, then replace them now, otherwise there are so many other toys you could spend on.
Old 03-12-19, 06:05 PM
Patriot1

While I cannot answer your question (other to say you shoulda gotten the Elite or Comp) as this is my first disc bike I am sure your LBS is right, I just don't think it is worth the money.
My LBS owner tried to talk me out of the Elite model, saying the mechs were plenty for relaxed riding, but I really wanted the matte paint job.
My non technical advice, use the mechanical brakes until they are crappy then replace. If they suck out the box, then replace them now, otherwise there are so many other toys you could spend on.
We really wanted the color, the Sport with matte Taupe was it. We are getting a pretty decent deal buying (2) Rolls so upgrading brakes and shifters we feel is worth it. The Promax mechanical brakes are mediocre at best. Tomorrow it all happens, so we’ll see how it all comes together.
Old 03-12-19, 06:56 PM
hokiefyd 

I am considering having both our new Rolls converted to Shimano Hydro brakes. My local dealer said it’s a pretty straight forward removal of the Promax mechanical brakes and install the Hydros. I was wondering if any Roll owners have done this brake conversion?
I haven't done it on a Roll, but I have a bike with hydro discs as stock, and a MTB that came with cable discs that I converted to hydro. I absolutely recommend upgrading. There is simply no comparison between the basic mechanical discs (like the stock Promax brakes) and even basic hydro disc brakes. Both of my bikes have Shimano M315 brakes (entry level hydraulics) and cable discs just aren't in the same league. The biggest benefit of hydraulic brakes is power at the disc for the effort at the lever. It's truly one finger braking. And the lever movement is completely smooth (because you're not pulling a cable through a housing). It's not about maximum braking power (mechanical discs can be strong)...it's about how enjoyable the brakes are to use, and that benefits everyone, no matter how hard you ride your bike.

When you're at your LBS, test ride a bike with hydraulic brakes -- any bike. You'll immediately feel the difference, and you'll gladly pay whatever it costs.

Myself -- I paid about $50 for my complete set of hydraulic disc take-off brakes on eBay (the seller upgraded to higher end brakes). As long as the mechanical brakes use separate brake levers and shifters, and as long as there are provisions to attach the rear brake line all the way back, then it's pretty much a bolt-on affair.
Old 03-12-19, 07:04 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
...and as long as there are provisions to attach the rear brake line all the way back, then it's pretty much a bolt-on affair.
This is where your LBS can guide you. If the Roll uses a continuous cable/housing to the rear brake and clips onto the frame (or travels back there internally), then a hydraulic brake line will travel the same path no problem. It's a little trickier if your brake line uses interrupted sections of brake cable housing with cable stops, with bare segments of brake cable. It's certainly not impossible to convert to hydraulic in this case, but you may need some small parts to help secure the hydraulic line.
Old 03-13-19, 03:58 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts

It's straight forward if the hoses are magically the correct length. If not, you have to cut the lines. Most of the times I can do it without a bleed but sometimes I need a bleed. Hardware might be needed to route the hose and a new olive is needed for the cut hose. If you have integrated shifter/brakes you need to split those.
Old 03-13-19, 04:17 AM
Patriot1

This is where your LBS can guide you. If the Roll uses a continuous cable/housing to the rear brake and clips onto the frame (or travels back there internally), then a hydraulic brake line will travel the same path no problem. It's a little trickier if your brake line uses interrupted sections of brake cable housing with cable stops, with bare segments of brake cable. It's certainly not impossible to convert to hydraulic in this case, but you may need some small parts to help secure the hydraulic line.
Thank you hokiefyd a wealth of great info and very much appreciated. Agreed that hydros are much better than the mechanicals. We have SRAM Hydro brakes on our Treks and they are awesome. I honestly was not sure if anyone had done the conversion on a Roll. Moving forward on having my shop do the install of hydros on both Rolls. He is a one man shop and pays attention to the details.

I will post up a few before and after pics. Today both Rolls will get converted to hydros.

Last edited by Patriot1; 03-13-19 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-13-19, 04:32 AM
Patriot1

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
It's straight forward if the hoses are magically the correct length. If not, you have to cut the lines. Most of the times I can do it without a bleed but sometimes I need a bleed. Hardware might be needed to route the hose and a new olive is needed for the cut hose. If you have integrated shifter/brakes you need to split those.
Thank you!
I think the front hydro brake line will fit without cutting, but the rear will need to be trimmed. It will be run internally through the down tube. (cables are the same dia 5mm) My bike tech has a cable fishing tool to assist in routing. Yes, correct on splitting the shifters, aluminum shifters will be added as the OEM stock all plastic shifter/brake on the Roll is integrated. So when finished both shifters and brakes will be aluminum. No labor charge on the install of any accessories is a plus. Will post up a few pics hopefully this evening.

Last edited by Patriot1; 03-13-19 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-13-19, 05:37 AM
Patriot1

Love new bike day!
I have read that you can go tubeless on the Roll with Stan’s tubeless tape and valve stems. Tubeless can possibly prevent a flat or help with limping home but I will still carry a spare if I opt to go tubeless.
I am also adding Ergon grips to both Rolls.

Last edited by Patriot1; 03-13-19 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-13-19, 06:38 PM
Patriot1

Took delivery of our Roll Sports today. Had the hydro brake conversion done on both bikes which turned our great. A few pics as promised.

Old 03-13-19, 06:40 PM
hokiefyd 

Those are the M315 brakes. After they break in and lay some pad material down on the rotors, I think you're really going to like those!
Old 03-13-19, 07:03 PM
Patriot1

Those are the M315 brakes. After they break in and lay some pad material down on the rotors, I think you're really going to like those!
Yes! Thank you, and again appreciate the helpful advice! The install by my lbs was seamless, he really did a good job.
Old 03-14-19, 12:40 PM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Nice bikes! I'm sure you will enjoy them.
Old 03-14-19, 02:25 PM
Patriot1

Ergon GP3 grips in size large.

Installed XPEL paint protection on both bikes today and am still not finished after 7.5 hrs. I will finish up tomorrow since nice it will be raining. Added Ergon grips....man they are comfy.
Old 03-14-19, 02:28 PM
Patriot1

Originally Posted by MJH
Nice bikes! I'm sure you will enjoy them.
Hey Thanks! We are looking forward to seat time for sure. Almost done, adding clipless pedals tomorrow.

Last edited by Patriot1; 03-14-19 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-16-19, 03:32 AM
Patriot1

Dual use pedals installed...done! for now...
Old 03-19-19, 02:48 PM
GeorgeMD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Patriot1, thanks for the wealth of info.
I took delivery of the comp X1, 2019 as seen in the photo(Cant post pictures yet, 10 posts coming soon......).
First impressions, this bike is a cruiser with an attitude problem! For me I had a 22 mile delightful night of thrashing about the waterline of Baltimore cities inner harbor.
I was shocked at the fatigue I did not encounter. In the beginning I missed what I remember being lighter gearing on the hills but quickly got used to it.

Another thing that stuck to my memory was how invincible I was to anything on the road, from blasting full speed over old cobblestone streets (something I would have walked my 700cc bike over before lol).
What can I say, the wheels/tires are a bit heavy and a drag, but my goodness the transitions up and down sidewalks was amazing. I was always kind of a wus about going off curbs, not anymore.
And all with no shocks. I dont know if this is the only bike you should own, but if it is life will still be good.

Anyways I do have an issue and its so small and silly I hate to post it here.
Has anyone had issues adjusting the height of their saddle, and the post not staying still?
After getting the bike on the road, I adjusted the seat lower from the shop and it had some left to right action, I adjusted it again tightening the nut more, this time it was very difficult to close the Quick Release for the seat post, but there is still a tiny bit of movement.
It is the post itself I can feel it shift. Not enough to make a difference, but I never had a saddle with any give to it.
Is this an issue with the paint breaking in?
Is there something unique, proprietary or special to our post. My father took a look and thinks the post is different because it has grooves in it.
Patriot1, can you try sitting and shifting your but, do you get any play in your saddle. Thanks a million!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.