Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can this be "N" and does such thing even exist?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Can this be "N" and does such thing even exist?

Old 03-15-19, 08:09 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My personal catagories:

Mountain bike
Short errand bike 1-3 miles
Long commute bike 15+ miles
Short commute bike 3-15 miles
Race
Touring
Daily rider
Permanent Display
My categories:
Italian, English, French, Belgium, Dutch, Spanish, Swiss, Austrian, etc.
Old 03-15-19, 09:24 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by tarsi
Thanks in part to the online trade spreadsheet and some creative transactions, next week I will be in possession of what I believe to be "N".

I will have:
1) Race/Climbing bike - Bianchi MegaTube Ti
2) Commuting bike - Cannondale ST500
3) Touring bike - TREK 720
4) Sunday cruiser - Colnago Superissimo

I know many of you will argue that I also need a "Guest bike" however given that I have family/friends ranging in height from 5'6" to 6'2" and the majority of them are carbon heads, I've decided not to go down that rabbit hole and intentionally omitted that category from my "N". My question is, are there any unlisted categories of bike that I should be cautious of? I've never felt like I have all the bikes I want in my correct size until now and want to hear from others with a similar experience and how they "held up" over time. Is this really it? Does "it" even exist?
You must be new at this.

Others have mentioned some of these, but you are leaving a lot uncovered. The key is the ability to make fine distinctions and niches, otherwise you will be prone to under-raionalizing on this important topic.

Here's a sample:

1. Gravel Bike
2. Grocery getter
3. Fixed gear
4. Lake Pepin worthy 3-speed
5. Path racer
6. 50's British club style bike
7. Single speed
8. beater/bar bike
9. CX bike
10. Mountain bike
11. Unicycle (totally worth it)
12. Tandem
13. Racing trike
etc.

late note. I see curbtender deserves the final word here. oh well.
Old 03-15-19, 10:59 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
In descending order of roadworthiness and immediate intent:
"A" list
1. Country Bike+ trailer puller
2. Late 80's Sport tourer with 700x28 and fenders. Soon to be 650bx38 and fenders.
3. Single speed mountain winter"no excuses" ice bike
4. 90's touring rig
5. Cargo kid hauler
6. "playing dress-up" low trail 650b Randonneuse
7. Fat slick tire dirt drop mountain thang.

"B" list (bikes that exist, are a project, and at the least need a full overhaul and all consumables, if not repairs and paint.

8. Mid 80's American Sports tourer. 650b conversion. needs paint. Will replace #2 bike. maybe..
9.Mid 90's fat tire drop bar hybrid monster cross.
10. Early 80's Japanese Sport tourer with full period correct outfitting.
11."Grail" American Touring bike with full vintage regalia. ( Its the one with the chainstays) needs paint
12. Mid 80's American Mountain Touring with full period correct regalia.
13. British 531 Campy cantilever Audex bike. needs frame work and paint.
14. Early '90s Japanese mountain bike. ( close enough to my college bike.)
15. Early '80's American light touring bike 650b conversion
16. early 80's Japanese Sport tourer. 3 speed "rando" 650b conversion. (ripped the derailleur hanger off)
17. Mid 80's Japanese cantilever touring bike. multible trauma case.
18 and on. more sports tourers. at least one French representative. and a bunch of bikes to get left in various spots..
so lets say n=30

Too Be Continued.

Last edited by bark_eater; 03-15-19 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 02:25 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
Muscle bike
Old 03-15-19, 03:02 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
I believe that the right number is N+1, but my wife has advised me the right number is S-1, where "S" is the number that will result in divorce.

I guess I haven't hit S yet.
Old 03-15-19, 08:02 PM
tarsi 

Bikes: '82 Colnago Superissimo, '84 TREK 720, '93 Cannondale T700, '99 Bianchi MegaTube Ti

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, pretty interesting to see people's categories. For me they are the original ones listed, 1) Race/Climber 2) Commuter/Errand Runner 3) Tourer and 4) Sunday Cruiser. At the same time however, I am also seeking a variety of frame materials. If you notice, I have a Titanium, Aluminum, Reynolds and a Columbus tubing bike. Funny how different people look for different things when seeking the illusive "N".

Last edited by tarsi; 03-15-19 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-15-19, 10:09 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
In my nabe a gravel bike is kind of a must. That's any road bike you can fit tires bigger than 32mm; so, not too tough to find. I think OPs #2 ) and #3 ) both work.

I would have added to that list a MTB... but since I've put together a couple really competent gravel bikes, I've just used them as the MTBs, so I'm not sure anymore.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 03-15-19, 11:22 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
My essential categories are:

1) Dry [weather] bikes
2) Wet [weather] bike

Dry weather bikes = no fenders, and can range from the nuttiest crit geometry'd frame to a full on tourer. Wet weather/winter/"the fender bike" is only one, because fenders, and possibly racks, add weight and often don't make the bike look better, and I like my bikes as light and lovely as possible. I'm only cleaning one bike's worth of road grit.

More seriously, to the OP, I like your list and think that's a perfectly good place to start, if really, hold. Most of my dry bikes are all fast bikes, and I prefer it that way.
Old 03-16-19, 12:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,427 Posts
And we haven't discussed guest bikes. We have a woman's guest bike which is too short for me. Lots of folks can either ride that or one of my bikes. But I have short legs, so I have no tall bikes. I need a tall guest bike for when tall friends visit.

And I have a city fixed gear bike PLUS a track racing bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-16-19, 12:45 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
What??? No guest track racing bike? What are you gonna do if Nelson Vails ever pays a visit?
Old 03-16-19, 02:01 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
And we haven't discussed guest bikes. We have a woman's guest bike which is too short for me. Lots of folks can either ride that or one of my bikes. But I have short legs, so I have no tall bikes. I need a tall guest bike for when tall friends visit.

And I have a city fixed gear bike PLUS a track racing bike.
Why did you have to say "track bike", now I'm diving down the rabbit hole of vintage Japanese Keirin frames, I work a few blocks from the San Diego Velodrome, I should sign up for classes.

www.sdvelodrome.com

https://raceatra.com/

Old 03-16-19, 02:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,427 Posts
@Nemosengineer, you really should try it. It's unlike other cycling. You are very lucky to be so near a good velodrome. Our velodrome here is lousy, and it's hard to reach. It's only about 12 miles from me, and it takes an hour and 20 minutes by bike, by subway, or by car.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-17-19, 07:33 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
I do not recommend this category to anyone as you can end up like me, hoping to get down from 17, 5 of which are in various stages of restoration. The category is "Rescues". It somehow has become my duty to save them from hipster/fixie hell, jammed campus bike lots, etc. Currently 3 Italians, an American and a Japanese.
Old 03-18-19, 12:08 PM
SkyWave

Bikes: 1970 Gitane Tandem, OPUS CX Ultegra Di2 '14, MARINONI Retro SL Campagnolo '17, MARINONI Tourismo '00 Shimano 105, KHS Tandemania Cross Shimano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
'N' has a range from 0 - OO

Zero to Infinity.

I started with 0 and will end with 0.
Where I fit on that continuum each year depends on so many factors.

Whether it be style of riding, brands, components or colour - it is an individual thing.
Do what meets your goals!
Old 03-18-19, 12:17 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
I'm at N right now with three. All are excellent riders and I'm satisfied with what I've got. And yeah, that last part is distinctly unamerican. So be it. I have no real need for more or better.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 03-18-19, 12:46 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
What??? No guest track racing bike? What are you gonna do if Nelson Vails ever pays a visit?
Nearly put me in a panic with this reality check, so I looked it up. I'm the same height as Nelson, so he can ride whatever he wants when he visits.
Old 03-18-19, 01:04 PM
specialmonkey
Fillet-Brazed Member

Bikes:

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tarsi
I know many of you will argue that I also need a "Guest bike" however given that I have family/friends ranging in height from 5'6" to 6'2" and the majority of them are carbon heads, I've decided not to go down that rabbit hole and intentionally omitted that category from my "N". My question is, are there any unlisted categories of bike that I should be cautious of? I've never felt like I have all the bikes I want in my correct size until now and want to hear from others with a similar experience and how they "held up" over time. Is this really it? Does "it" even exist?
Don't forget the bikes you keep at friend's houses for when you're vacationing near them!
Old 03-19-19, 06:54 AM
delaneyt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m fairly new on this forum, but I came over to this “classic and vintage” section and see bikes like Treks and Cannondales being talked about like they are something special, and not the boring factory produced bikes they are. I would think if you really are wanting have a vintage bike collection you would be looking at either European labels like Hetchins, Pike, Poghliagi, Frejus, Whitcomb, or a thousand other interesting badges, or American labels like Eisentraut or Hujsak or Kelly or something interesting like those. Saying you collect Treks and Cannonwhales is like saying you’re collecting a 1990 Ford Taurus or a Chevy Caprice.
Old 03-19-19, 06:55 AM
tarsi 

Bikes: '82 Colnago Superissimo, '84 TREK 720, '93 Cannondale T700, '99 Bianchi MegaTube Ti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
you should really wait until after the 19th when Trek announces the big news. all of this stuff will be obsolete after that anyway.
So I woke up, ran out to the shed and all of my bikes appear to be ok. I even took a few of them for a quick spin around the block and everything went as expected. Anybody experiencing anything different in their neck of the woods?
Old 03-19-19, 07:05 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Nope, same ol' world as yesterday. Nothing changed as far as I could tell. Worst world change ever.
Old 03-19-19, 07:11 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by delaneyt
I’m fairly new on this forum, but I came over to this “classic and vintage” section and see bikes like Treks and Cannondales being talked about like they are something special, and not the boring factory produced bikes they are. I would think if you really are wanting have a vintage bike collection you would be looking at either European labels like Hetchins, Pike, Poghliagi, Frejus, Whitcomb, or a thousand other interesting badges, or American labels like Eisentraut or Hujsak or Kelly or something interesting like those. Saying you collect Treks and Cannonwhales is like saying you’re collecting a 1990 Ford Taurus or a Chevy Caprice.
Mostly it's us old cermudgeons appreciating the bikes of our youth. the C & the V refers to the posters, mostly.

The bikes you mention are rare, expensive, and not really in service anywhere to appreciate. We like what we have. Down-tube shifters and "noodle" steel is fun & that's the way we like it.

...of course if theres a way to retro-fit modern refinements to our trusty steeds, we appreciate that too.
Old 03-19-19, 07:12 AM
tarsi 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Nope, same ol' world as yesterday.
The only difference I can find is that TREK's website no longer works where as yesterday it worked fine.

Old 03-19-19, 07:47 AM
delaneyt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Mostly it's us old cermudgeons appreciating the bikes of our youth. the C & the V refers to the posters, mostly.

The bikes you mention are rare, expensive, and not really in service anywhere to appreciate. We like what we have. Down-tube shifters and "noodle" steel is fun & that's the way we like it.

...of course if theres a way to retro-fit modern refinements to our trusty steeds, we appreciate that too.
Oh, I definitely fit into the classic and vintage age range. I started working at bike shops in 1964. and was a shop rat up until 1990. In the late 60’s I think my first object of desire would have been a Raleigh Pro, but then that passion moved to Bob Jackson’s when I saw a few of them. But then I actually got a blue Colnago Super in the early 70’s, only to sell it when I began racing for a Schwinn Team and was issued a road and Track Paramount. Road those into the early 80’s, went through a Cinelli, a Viner, and then got into mountain bike racing in 1984. I raced on a Bridgestone MB0 till it broke, then an MB1, a Fat Chance, and then a Ross Shaefer built Salsa, which I still have. I’ve also got my old track Paramount. But I can say that in all that time I never lusted after a Trek or the like, they were just utilitarian bikes to be used and abused, but not coveted.
Old 03-19-19, 08:53 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The OP's List of Bikes

...is fine. I cannot imagine not having a fixed gear available for winter rides and for fall weather in the country. So, "N" not yet achieved from my vantage point.

Also, how come no MTB for cross country single track riding? That's a thing, too.

So, maybe he's at least 2 below N for now.
Old 03-19-19, 09:02 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Put him on a Huffy from Craigslist wearing cut off jean shorts and Chuck Taylors, take him to a local club race and bet the house!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.