Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

New Format for The frame doesn't fit pass-around game

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 03-05-19, 10:27 AM
tarsi 

Bikes: '82 Colnago Superissimo, '84 TREK 720, '93 Cannondale T700, '99 Bianchi MegaTube Ti

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello,

I know it's been tried before but an online spreadsheet seems to be a much more efficient way of managing the bikes for trade and what people are looking for in the "Pass-around game" thread. A link to a now abandoned spreadsheet is on the very first post of the the thread but most members don't even know that spread sheet exists (including myself) because the best strategy for browsing that thread is to start at the end and work your way back through the older posts. Because there are so many and it spans so many years, users never make it back to the very beginning.

Anyway, I started a new spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...kE-3MiPc#gid=0) and would like to propose a new thread called something like "Bike/Frame Swap Dashboard" that would be pinned at the top of the Classic & Vintage section and would only have one post in it with a link to the spreadsheet. The thread should be locked so nobody replies and starts using it in the way the existing thread is used.

Please let me know if this idea is possible and/or if there is anything else you'd need from me.
Old 03-17-19, 11:37 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Hello? Mods? Everyone in the other thread is waiting for you to act on this!
Old 03-17-19, 03:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
I haven't paid much attention to the thread. Perhaps I should.

However, one option might be to break it up into several different threads. Post looking for & for trade in each respective thread.

< 51.5 cm frames.
52-53.5 cm frames.
54-56.5 cm frames.
57 to 60 cm frames
> 60.5 cm frames.

Measure middle of bottom bracket to the top of the top tube along the seat tube for classic horizontal bottom top tube bikes.

For sloping top tube bikes, go by the manufacture's size, or measure horizontal distance from middle of seatpost to middle of head tube.

Still, the issue is going back and finding a gem, or someone seeking from months or years before. But, at least new posts will bump the thread (E-Mail).

I try to look at where a person is whenever someone bumps the facilitator's thread.
Old 03-18-19, 09:10 AM
tarsi 

Bikes: '82 Colnago Superissimo, '84 TREK 720, '93 Cannondale T700, '99 Bianchi MegaTube Ti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
one option might be to break it up into several different threads. Post looking for & for trade in each respective thread.

< 51.5 cm frames.
52-53.5 cm frames.
54-56.5 cm frames.
57 to 60 cm frames
> 60.5 cm frames.
The advantage of a spreadsheet is it gives you a quick snapshot of everything available without having to click through multiple posts/threads. The spreadsheet has a field for frame size so a user can quickly filter/search for all frames/bikes in their size. The spreadsheet doesn't offer anything that isn't currently possible through the forum threads it is just a more efficient way of managing these listings.
Old 06-10-19, 08:29 AM
tarsi 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tarsi
The spreadsheet doesn't offer anything that isn't currently possible through the forum threads it is just a more efficient way of managing these listings.
Still awaiting an admin response
Old 06-10-19, 10:13 AM
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I will look into this!
Old 06-12-19, 12:23 PM
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Looked into it and unfortunately until there is a bigger need/want from the community, we cannot move forward with it.
Old 06-14-19, 10:53 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 755 Posts
Originally Posted by IBRyan
Looked into it and unfortunately until there is a bigger need/want from the community, we cannot move forward with it.
@tarsi I'm not sure the community has been able to properly provide its collective input. If one is not johnny-on-the-spot and visits the form every time the thread is updated (I don't), it's entirely possible that huge swaths of subscribers to these sorts of threads will have not seen your proposal. Perhaps add a poll to this thread and a link to the current frame-doesn't-fit thread and :bump: it every few days for a couple weeks or so.
Old 06-16-19, 08:48 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 491 Posts
+1 for tarsi’s spreadsheet idea.
Old 06-18-19, 05:49 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It doesn't sound much different than some of the threads like Pay It Forward or Saddle Swap to me, although I've never been there (I tend to find bikes and keep them).
Old 06-25-19, 01:46 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
How does the manager of the spreadsheet account for old listings where the users aren't responding. I can see it getting out of hand because no one will come back to update the spreadsheet, ever.
Old 08-14-19, 08:23 AM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Phone numbers or emails

I think that an easy solution to the old, non respondent postings is to have the spreadsheet be private, and you have to put in a real phone number.
C&V is a slow moving world, I know that I personally, although I’m only in my late 20’s have held onto frames for years at a time. I don’t think anyone who’s been into c&v for “at least” as long as me, 8 years now, would have a problem putting on a phone number! As long as it is an invite with link spreadsheet so the BOTS can’t get all of your info.
I don’t want to see full name, address and social security. I really think that a City or county and state with a phone number would also make traders to be more committed
Old 08-18-19, 04:34 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
This is simple. Report those to staff and let them deal with it.

By the way, why are we talking about a spreadsheet?

That's not required.