Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Trek Checkpoint -- Any long-term experiences or reviews?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Trek Checkpoint -- Any long-term experiences or reviews?

Old 03-11-19, 02:10 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Adrianinkc
I was told the change occurred because of a change in a standard on toe overlap that they had to make a change in tire size. Asked about the rear and they said legally speaking allow 6mm around the tire. This is what I got through the chat option on trek.com
6mm is the ISO-4210 standard. That is what you usually will see in print. Yes, there is a difference between "Max tire size" and "what will fit." Shoot, I run a 50mm front tire on a CX bike sometimes, because it fits.

(yes Gus, ISO has a different standard for road bikes)

Last edited by chas58; 03-11-19 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 02:49 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
The Checkpoint has been removed from the Trekbikes.com website. At least temporarily, the Checkpoint (at least its page) appears to be dead.

And Customer Service says there will be no recall because the stock 35mm tires are perfectly safe. You bought based on that 45mm capacity claim? Buyer beware, sucka!
In case anyone is reading this and thinking the Checkpoint is still "dead", the webpage was put back pretty quickly, and they now list clearance for 40mm tires on the SL5 and ALR5 frames. The aluminum frames don't have IsoSpeed, so that probably wasn't a factor in the change of "official" tire clearance.

I have test ridden a SL5 and put my somewhat heavy (for a cyclist) body in to some sprints, and didn't notice any flex in the IsoSpeed from my pedal strokes, even when standing and sprinting hard. But FlashBazbo has me realizing I need to ride this bike again before making a purchase. Or maybe they'll make the IsoSpeed adjustable on future Checkpoint models in 2020, er, 2021. LOL.
Old 03-13-19, 02:59 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
In case anyone is reading this and thinking the Checkpoint is still "dead", the webpage was put back pretty quickly, and they now list clearance for 40mm tires on the SL5 and ALR5 frames. The aluminum frames don't have IsoSpeed, so that probably wasn't a factor in the change of "official" tire clearance.

I have test ridden a SL5 and put my somewhat heavy (for a cyclist) body in to some sprints, and didn't notice any flex in the IsoSpeed from my pedal strokes, even when standing and sprinting hard. But FlashBazbo has me realizing I need to ride this bike again before making a purchase. Or maybe they'll make the IsoSpeed adjustable on future Checkpoint models in 2020, er, 2021. LOL.
I purchased the SL5 last week. I am 190 lbs and did not notice any flex in the IsoSpeed.
Old 03-13-19, 04:36 PM
Vegas3416

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

just picked up my Trek Checkpoint with WTB 45mm tires. This thing is slick. I'd post a picture but it's not letting me because I'm new to the forum but let's just say this thing is the 💣. The bike shop was loving the ride. Can't wait to get it out on the trails/road.
Old 03-14-19, 12:53 AM
CodyDog

Originally Posted by Vegas3416
just picked up my Trek Checkpoint with WTB 45mm tires. This thing is slick. I'd post a picture but it's not letting me because I'm new to the forum but let's just say this thing is the 💣. The bike shop was loving the ride. Can't wait to get it out on the trails/road.

Congrats!
Old 03-15-19, 11:01 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas3416
Congratulations! Enjoy the bike!

Trek has again changed their tire clearance claims for the Checkpoint. NOW, if your frame is 52cm or smaller, the clearance is 40mm. Bigger than that, it's 45mm. But I think that assumes that you're using a cable operated front derailleur -- as all complete bike Checkpoints do. (My 56cm frame with Di2 front derailleur won't even clear a 40mm tire at the derailleur.) They have certainly taken a circuitous route to get to this point. For the frameset, I hope they will start including a caution or a different clearance spec for Di2 front derailleurs. For everyone else, it appears to be looking good!
Old 03-15-19, 11:40 AM
Vegas3416

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
45mm Trek checkpoint - 54 size frame

I'm not that crazy yet of a rider as I'm just getting back into riding but 45mm tires with the stock Shimano 105 setup on my ALR5 fits just fine. Going much bigger than that at least in the rear I could go bigger but I'd have to move the hub backwards. The front of the bike I have about half an inch on each side of the forks. I'm told that should be the biggest I should go up front but I think I could go bigger but if you run a low psi it may flex and hit the inside of the fork but again so far..so good.
Old 03-15-19, 05:47 PM
gravelED

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Anyone else with the SL model not like the Isospeed decoupler on smooth roads like FlashBazbo?
Old 03-16-19, 09:14 AM
pdxken

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2018 SL5 58cm, I'm 180lbs and do notice some 'boingy-ness' on smooth flat roads especially when the cadence gets up there. A little annoying, but usually I just upshift and get on with my ride.

That being said, while I'm pretty happy with the checkpoint I will avoid any rear isospeed equipped bikes in the future.
Old 03-19-19, 09:39 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by pdxken
I have a 2018 SL5 58cm, I'm 180lbs and do notice some 'boingy-ness' on smooth flat roads especially when the cadence gets up there. A little annoying, but usually I just upshift and get on with my ride.

That being said, while I'm pretty happy with the checkpoint I will avoid any rear isospeed equipped bikes in the future.
The gravel bike segment seems rife with gimmicks.

The Specialized Diverge has the problematic "Futureshock", which has been recalled.

The Trek Checkpoint has this IsoSpeed decoupler.

The Canyon Grail has that silly-looking double handlebar.

The Giant Revolt with 105 has the weird hybrid cable/hydro disc brake system, and seems excessively heavy. The next model up is 1x, and then the ultegra model has some cheap carbon rims that are too heavy for carbon.

I'm not sure where to go for a moderately-priced high quality Gravel Bike. I like the geometry of the Trek Checkpoint and have had great experience with Trek in the past, including four years working in a Trek dealership in the 1990's. So I tend to default to Trek. I guess I'll test-ride the Checkpoint again and see if the IsoSpeed bothers me or not. On my initial test ride it seemed fine, but that's exactly long-term experience with the system.
Old 03-19-19, 09:52 AM
gravelED

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

The Specialized Diverge has the problematic "Futureshock", which has been recalled.

The Trek Checkpoint has this IsoSpeed decoupler.

The Canyon Grail has that silly-looking double handlebar.

The Giant Revolt with 105 has the weird hybrid cable/hydro disc brake system, and seems excessively heavy. The next model up is 1x, and then the ultegra model has some cheap carbon rims that are too heavy for carbon.

I'm not sure where to go for a moderately-priced high quality Gravel Bike. I like the geometry of the Trek Checkpoint and have had great experience with Trek in the past, including four years working in a Trek dealership in the 1990's. So I tend to default to Trek. I guess I'll test-ride the Checkpoint again and see if the IsoSpeed bothers me or not. On my initial test ride it seemed fine, but that's exactly long-term experience with the system.
How about get the Giant Revolt Advanced 0 and sell off the heavy carbon wheels? (That is an idea I've been contemplating since I already have two nice sets of wheels). I like the idea of the ISO speed, wish there was a way of tuning or locking it out.
Old 03-19-19, 10:19 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by gravelED
How about get the Giant Revolt Advanced 0 and sell off the heavy carbon wheels? (That is an idea I've been contemplating since I already have two nice sets of wheels). I like the idea of the ISO speed, wish there was a way of tuning or locking it out.
I too think the IsoSpeed idea has merit, so I'll give it another try before ruling it out. My friend loves his Domane with front and rear IsoSpeed. I'm more of a in-the-saddle 80-90 cadence type of a rider, and don't do a lot of sprints or low-cadence tall gear grinding.

I'd still consider the Revolt Advanced 0. It still seems heavy, though. I'll have to find frameset comparison weights some how to see if it's just the Giant proprietary components.

Then there's what I would consider the "next tier" of massed produced bikes like Fuji, GT, Kona, etc. (I'm sure some will find this statement controversial). Though it seems like maybe GT discontinued the Grade? I don't see it on their website any more.
Old 03-19-19, 01:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I'm not sure where to go for a moderately-priced high quality Gravel Bike.
You mentioned the big 3 plus trendy Canyon.
I agree there is a lot of gimmick in some gravel bikes right now, but look outside the big3 and there is a lot less of what you dislike. Also, while I dont want a 1x gravel drivetrain, its trendy so many brands offer 1 or 2 options in their lineup. That isnt a gimmick, its just a trend. Its lame as Ive seen 1x bikes I like the look of more than the 2x, but would never consider buying.

Not sure what 'moderately priced' means, but since you referenced the Grail's handlebars, Ill assume you are looking at bikes that cost $2500+/- since the lowest hoverbar option is that price.

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bikes/adventure-gravel this is $2160. Carbon, hydraulic brakes, thru axle, and nothing gimmicky.
Kona Libre, Norco, Cannondale Topstone, Jamis Renegade, Black Mountain Cycles, Fairlight Secan, Niner RLT, Otso, All City and many more offer great bikes and frames that arent gimmicky.

Otso, Niner, Fairlight, All City, Jamis, and Black Mountain Cycles all have quality frames for sale- build it up how you want the first time instead of buying built and swapping stuff.

You will notice a lot of steel in what I suggested. It tends to be less gimmicky.
Old 03-19-19, 02:18 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You mentioned the big 3 plus trendy Canyon.
I agree there is a lot of gimmick in some gravel bikes right now, but look outside the big3 and there is a lot less of what you dislike. Also, while I dont want a 1x gravel drivetrain, its trendy so many brands offer 1 or 2 options in their lineup. That isnt a gimmick, its just a trend. Its lame as Ive seen 1x bikes I like the look of more than the 2x, but would never consider buying.

Not sure what 'moderately priced' means, but since you referenced the Grail's handlebars, Ill assume you are looking at bikes that cost $2500+/- since the lowest hoverbar option is that price.

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bikes/adventure-gravel this is $2160. Carbon, hydraulic brakes, thru axle, and nothing gimmicky.
Kona Libre, Norco, Cannondale Topstone, Jamis Renegade, Black Mountain Cycles, Fairlight Secan, Niner RLT, Otso, All City and many more offer great bikes and frames that arent gimmicky.

Otso, Niner, Fairlight, All City, Jamis, and Black Mountain Cycles all have quality frames for sale- build it up how you want the first time instead of buying built and swapping stuff.

You will notice a lot of steel in what I suggested. It tends to be less gimmicky.
It's a good list. Some of these brands are not so much on my radar, so it gives me some research to do. Thank you.

If I do indeed want to go metal, the Trek Checkpoint has an Aluminum frame set for $1,069 with no IsoSpeed decoupler. It seems steep for what it is. And possibly jarring with road tires.

The reason I'm trying to get the weight down on this bike is that I already own a couple of steel road bikes (one is about 21 lbs and the other is 24 lbs), so I'm hoping to differentiate this one a bit and have something I can use on the occasional Century on the road with a lighter wheelset and 28c tires. Or also for combined road/trail rides. Ideally, I would get the adjustable IsoSpeed Domane SLR and put 40c tires on it, but I think it can only fit 35c. I don't need a lot of off-road capability--just wider tires for the crushed limestone paths around here, which occasionally include mud and sand. I had 35c tires on my old bike (Trek FX converted to drop bars), and found 40c to be a significant improvement.

Any good, affordable titanium options out there? I've never ridden titanium, but it's an intriguing option.
Old 03-19-19, 02:31 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

The reason I'm trying to get the weight down on this bike is that I already own a couple of steel road bikes (one is about 21 lbs and the other is 24 lbs), so I'm hoping to differentiate this one a bit and have something I can use on the occasional Century on the road with a lighter wheelset and 28c tires.
If you're really looking to reduce weight, be sure to "weigh" your options -- literally. My Checkpoint SL, as built, weighs in at about 22 pounds (in contrast to what Trek's website would have me expect). Just because it's carbon doesn't mean it's light. The bike has a TON of added features (mounts, Isospeed, adjustable dropouts, skid plates, etc., etc.) and every one of them adds a little weight.
Old 03-19-19, 02:44 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

If you're really looking to reduce weight, be sure to "weigh" your options -- literally. My Checkpoint SL, as built, weighs in at about 22 pounds (in contrast to what Trek's website would have me expect). Just because it's carbon doesn't mean it's light. The bike has a TON of added features (mounts, Isospeed, adjustable dropouts, skid plates, etc., etc.) and every one of them adds a little weight.
I'm sure the 21.17 lbs Trek quoted for the 56cm is sans pedals and bottle cages. I am happy they are publishing something-- a lot of bike companies won't publish anything.
Old 03-19-19, 03:29 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

I'm sure the 21.17 lbs Trek quoted for the 56cm is sans pedals and bottle cages. I am happy they are publishing something-- a lot of bike companies won't publish anything.
Mine is, too. And my wheels are a lot lighter than stock -- but my larger, tubeless tires may be heavier.
Old 03-19-19, 06:21 PM
jwill911
Riding is my addiction

Bikes: 2017 Orbea Orca,'06 Orbea Opal, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have had my Checkpoint SL6 for three weeks. Only done a couple of 30 mile gravel rides and one really muddy trail ride; well wasn't muddy the whole time but got in some ugly places.
So far I'm thinking of putting a longer stem on it. I think it came with a 90mm (54cm frame), cockpit seems cramped and they built it with the stem down and I need the 6 degrees up slope, I'm getting too much pressure on my hands. I also don't like the supplied Bontrager handle bars, looking at the Ritchey Comp EvoMax Handlebar with the 12 degree flare. My friend just bought a Niner Gravel bike has Easton bars w/ 16 degree flare, I think I'd be good with 12 degrees. Both of my road bikes have FSA bars with 6 degrees and I like the flare, gives you a bit more room when in the drops.
Anyone have opinions on the good reasonably priced bars? The Ritchey bars 6061 aluminum ~292 grams are $49, will probably pull the trigger on those.
Thanks if anyone has comment they want to share.
John
Old 03-19-19, 07:48 PM
jwill911
Riding is my addiction

Bikes: 2017 Orbea Orca,'06 Orbea Opal, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My 54cm SL6 weighs 20.5 lbs with my shimano SPD/SL road pedals. I haven't bought MTB pedals/shoes yet. Just moving over from being a dedicated roadie.
John
Old 03-19-19, 09:34 PM
gus6464

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Is that correct that the Checkpoint weighs 22lbs no pedals? How is that even possible?

My Stigmata size 58 with some heavy stuff including pedals is 23lbs.
Fox AX fork
Pnw dropper seatpost
Mallet 2 pedals
650b thunder burt
Old 03-20-19, 07:39 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by gus6464
Is that correct that the Checkpoint weighs 22lbs no pedals? How is that even possible?

Fox AX fork
Pnw dropper seatpost
Mallet 2 pedals
650b thunder burt
The SL5 is supposed to be 21.17 without pedals, but we all know five people could weigh the bike and give five different answers from 19 lbs to 24 lbs.

The Checkpoint is weighed down by a lot of extra stuff: Four water bottle mounts, a bento box mount, plastic armor on the bottom of the frame, the IsoSpeed doohickey, threads for racks, fenders, etc. And of course, the hydraulic disc brakes and tubeless gravel tires are heavy. Putting a set of 28c Conti GP 4000 II's on there would cut quite a bit off right of the bat, if you wanted to use the bike for a road bike.
Old 03-24-19, 07:14 PM
Vegas3416

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Checkpoint ALR5 follow up

So now on the bike for a good 50miles and though it's not much I will say the ALR5 with 45mm Riddler tires are nice. It took a bit to get the fit right but I think I still need some fine tuning but for what it is. It's fast. Comfortable. Can pull a trailer nicely and the ergonomics for someone who hasn't ridden in a good while is pretty comfortable once I got fit more setup for me. The 105 shift smooth. I was worried because everyone said go with the carbon and honestly because of the warranty not being lifetime like the aluminum I went with the ALR5. Glad I did. No issues and this thing just flies. On gravel with the 45s this thing is smooth. Wasn't expecting that and it takes all the bumpyness right out of it. If I had to do a modification at this point it would be wider flared bars as I already changed the stem and want an even better grip. No complaints.
Old 03-24-19, 09:32 PM
CodyDog

Originally Posted by gus6464

Fox AX fork
Pnw dropper seatpost
Mallet 2 pedals
650b thunder burt

My Checkpoint (56cm) SL5 weighs 22.6 pounds with Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals (340 grams), a Selle Anatomica saddle (420 grams), Garmin 520 Plus bike computer w/mount and water bottle cage.

Last edited by CodyDog; 03-24-19 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-25-19, 06:13 AM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
Borrowed a set of 27,5" wheels with 2.2 mtb tires on the local bike shop to test fit on my Checkpoint ALR 4, clearances are good even with the rear dropout all the way forward. No problems with the FD either.
The front wheel the lbs had was a 15mm thru axle so I did not fit it on the bike, rear dropout is all the way forward on thos pictures, Total wheel diameter is just a little bit smaller then the 700c wheel with the 40c Maxxis Ramblers.

Last edited by MAGAIVER; 03-25-19 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-25-19, 06:34 AM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
Conveterd the bike to 650b with 2.1" Kenda Small Block Eight tires and so far it's been awesome for the local terrain. And I also swapped handlebars, got the Pro Discover Big Flare ins 42cm, it has less drop, less reach and more flare then the Salsa Cowchipper 2, feels awesome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.