Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Would you buy a hybrid with 2.5" tires?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?
View Poll Results: Would you buy a hybrid with 2.5" tires?
Yes, with disc brakes
64.58%
Yes, with V-brakes
4.17%
No
31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a hybrid with 2.5" tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-19, 07:56 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Lightbulb Would you buy a hybrid with 2.5" tires?

I mean with something like the Schwalbe Super Moto X or Kenda Kwick Seven.5 with 27.5" wheels? Would you choose either disc brakes or V-brakes like the Tektro M730? Also, with mudguards as standard equipment?

Last edited by hybridbkrdr; 03-21-19 at 07:58 AM. Reason: adding mudguards
Old 03-21-19, 08:36 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Only with 700c/29" wheels
Old 03-21-19, 08:43 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I'm not sure it fits the conventional definition of a hybrid bike, but it is 2.8" 27.5+

Old 03-21-19, 09:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fat tires, disk brakes & fenders? oh yeah!
Old 03-21-19, 04:40 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Only with 700c/29" wheels
I know you're probably not dumb but you know the circumference would be pretty large right? Would you still choose a 29er?
Old 03-21-19, 05:26 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Many here already have, or close to it: the Specialized Roll comes with 27.5 x 2.3" tires. I'd like to convert my Roam from 29" wheels to 27.5" wheels, and then use a 2" or greater tire on it. I have 29 x 2" tires on it now, and they make the bike just a hair tall. A 27.5" x 2.3"ish tire is about the same overall diameter as a 700x38. One of the things I like about disc brakes is you can do this with rim sizes relatively easily.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 03-21-19, 07:50 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
I know you're probably not dumb but you know the circumference would be pretty large right? Would you still choose a 29er?
Unless you are small, I don't see the disadvantage of large wheels. 29+ is an actual category offered by a few manufacturers. Rolls better over rough terrain.
Old 03-21-19, 09:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
While not a particular hybrid or fat tire user, I am planning to build a bike around the Surly Extra Terrestrial tires sometime in the near future. Drop bars, of course. Probably front suspension. Generally intended for rough gravel riding/touring.
Old 03-22-19, 08:55 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by CliffordK
While not a particular hybrid or fat tire user, I am planning to build a bike around the Surly Extra Terrestrial tires sometime in the near future. Drop bars, of course. Probably front suspension. Generally intended for rough gravel riding/touring.
I would re-think the front suspension. I have a mountain bike with Rockshox XC 30 forks and although it's a good fork and I like the fact it doesn't make me dive when I brake, I'm inclined to think sometimes I'd go for a rigid fork. I mean if it's not plush enough to dive while braking it also gives the impression it's almost useless for regular city biking. (I know about replacing the coil to a softer one but don't want to do it since I don't want to dive while braking anyway. lol)
Old 03-22-19, 09:05 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
A rigid mountain bike? Yes.
A "hybrid" not so much. The wide tires just kill the utility for street use. My feeling is it is too far in the dirt direction to be called a hybrid.
Old 03-22-19, 09:40 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I would re-think the front suspension. I have a mountain bike with Rockshox XC 30 forks and although it's a good fork and I like the fact it doesn't make me dive when I brake, I'm inclined to think sometimes I'd go for a rigid fork. I mean if it's not plush enough to dive while braking it also gives the impression it's almost useless for regular city biking. (I know about replacing the coil to a softer one but don't want to do it since I don't want to dive while braking anyway. lol)
Virtually all of the mid to upper range suspension systems have a lockout feature.

But, yes, there is extra weight and complexity.

It will be an interesting experiment. Then I could do something different for number 2.
Old 03-22-19, 09:49 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
No. Tires that wide (and suspension for that matter) are for mountain bikes. But then, these bike category labels are fairly blurred, so call it, (and get) what ever you want!
Old 03-23-19, 05:52 AM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
You mean like this?
Old 03-23-19, 08:49 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by base2
A rigid mountain bike? Yes.
A "hybrid" not so much. The wide tires just kill the utility for street use. My feeling is it is too far in the dirt direction to be called a hybrid.
Well, I meant the same geometry as a hybrid. But, possibly with a semi-aggressive posture so you can bend your elbows and go faster when you're in a rush.

I'm partly talking about this because in the area where I live, the last winter just WRECKED the roads. I mean we had periods of freezing then thawing several times which resulted in pot holes on the road that are so bad, some roads are closed. In the long term, you may have problems with front suspension anyway so...
Old 03-23-19, 11:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
29er Plus may lose it's Hybrid category standing...
Old 03-23-19, 01:31 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Well, I meant the same geometry as a hybrid. But, possibly with a semi-aggressive posture so you can bend your elbows and go faster when you're in a rush.

I'm partly talking about this because in the area where I live, the last winter just WRECKED the roads. I mean we had periods of freezing then thawing several times which resulted in pot holes on the road that are so bad, some roads are closed. In the long term, you may have problems with front suspension anyway so...
I read & understood the question. 2.5 is just too wide for road use. Broken and terrible or not. IMO, about 41c is probably just about ideal for what you are describing your conditions are. So my answer remains that I would not buy a hybrid with 2.5 inch wide tires.

You could always buy the bike with the wide clearance for future options & install tires more suited to current conditions. In that case, it might be a smart buy. See if the bike shop will swap for better tires & you might be a happy camper.
Old 03-24-19, 06:49 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
I mean with something like the Schwalbe Super Moto X or Kenda Kwick Seven.5 with 27.5" wheels? Would you choose either disc brakes or V-brakes like the Tektro M730? Also, with mudguards as standard equipment?
How can this conversation even begin with so little information. How and where you intend to use it matters.
Old 03-24-19, 07:01 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy
You mean like this?
Longest chainstays ever. Plush?
Old 03-24-19, 07:15 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Sure I would. Here's my do it all mtb, 29er and 2.2" tires (continental x-kings). I ride a lot of pavement with it in the winter, total blast. I also obviously use it off road in the summer so it has the suspension fork. I can easily pump out 50 miles with it, it's about choosing good rolling tires and pumping the air pressure up. I'll keep the pressure at about 40psi on pavement unless there's alot of snow and ice.

I've always wanted an N+1 bike that had a light frame, lighter wheelset and rigid fork with the same tires.
Old 03-24-19, 08:32 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
How can this conversation even begin with so little information. How and where you intend to use it matters.
Believe it or not, I wouldn't mind using a bike like that like a full-blown commuter with mudguards and front and rear racks. The point is I could get groceries or whatever without any fear of potholes and just barrel through. Or even as a weekend adventure bike. But, still with a semi-aggressive position so I could bend my elbows and lean forward to go faster if I'm really impatient.
Old 03-25-19, 07:05 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by seat_boy
You mean like this?
What bike is this? It looks modified.

By the way, If you search for Bobtrax X5 in eBay, you'll find something equivalent to what I was thinking about. Although it has 3" tires. However, it would be possible to install 2.5 inch tires on it. And for mudguards, I think it may be possible to modify the SKS Bluemels 75 U to fit the bike. (Those are made for a 29er but maybe cutting down the rods might do it.)
Old 03-25-19, 11:32 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
What bike is this? It looks modified.
If you search for the name of the bike, "clem smith jr", you'll find that it's a Rivendell model -- very nice stuff.
Old 03-25-19, 03:20 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Sure I would. Here's my do it all mtb, 29er and 2.2" tires (continental x-kings). I ride a lot of pavement with it in the winter, total blast. I also obviously use it off road in the summer so it has the suspension fork. I can easily pump out 50 miles with it, it's about choosing good rolling tires and pumping the air pressure up. I'll keep the pressure at about 40psi on pavement unless there's alot of snow and ice.

I've always wanted an N+1 bike that had a light frame, lighter wheelset and rigid fork with the same tires.

Is it me or your front mudguard is installed backwards?

Edit: On second thought it's probably installed that way due to the rear facing fork crown.

Last edited by andrei_r; 03-25-19 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 04:18 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by fietsbob
29er Plus may lose it's Hybrid category standing...
The definitions seem blurry, but if we assume a hybrid is meant to be a "hybrid" of road and mountain bike, the 29+ isn't a contradiction.

Most hybrids have flatbar, MTB groupsets and wider tires (compared to road), but have no suspension and a more road geometry.... and many variations of that.
Most hybrids come with 700c wheels, which is the exact same rim as 29" (or called 28"in europe, but exact same size). 29+ is exactly like all the hybrids most manufacturers sell, just some wider tires for more comfort and our ever degrading roads.

My hybrid (Toughroad) can fit up to 2.2" tires
Old 03-27-19, 08:29 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by wgscott
I'm not sure it fits the conventional definition of a hybrid bike, but it is 2.8" 27.5+

Which bike is that? It looks like it has a suspension-corrected fork which means it would be a challenge to find full-length fenders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.