Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Michigan Early June

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Michigan Early June

Old 02-17-19, 08:52 AM
hfbill

Bikes: Trek 520, Haro Flightline 29er MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Biking in Early June

I did some biking in early June in the northwest Lower Peninsula, Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Charlevoix. It's beautiful countryside, nice towns, and the people were friendly & courteous, but the weather was rainy, cold and miserable for the whole week we were there. I live in upstate NY and the flowers, blooming trees etc. there were at a similar stage to what we see here in late April.

Last edited by hfbill; 02-17-19 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 09:15 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Best Wishes, Marc.
Thanks Jim. Hopefully we can get together again.

Marc
Old 02-18-19, 08:40 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Well since politics was dragged into it already, we're still going to have a Democrat governor in 2 years time, might as well wait til 2022....
Democratic.
Old 02-18-19, 10:59 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This thread interests me. Question: How are the bugs in early June?
Eh, I survived the western UP and large parts of the lower for 30+ years with only a handful of bug horror stories. Either I have a high tolerance, or the issue is vastly overstated. Yes, there are some times when you hit a hatch just right that you'll get swarmed, but it is rather hard to predict exactly when that will occur. I wouldn't ever try to plan a trip around it, if it happens it happens but it probably won't.

I'd be far more concerned with getting into campgrounds at any sort of holiday or long weekend time.
Old 02-18-19, 04:22 PM
axolotl

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Ditto, May into June in the U.P. Years ago took our Bassett Hound up with us. Poor thing had to be indoors unless walking fairly briskly.
I was attempting to hike in Porcupine Mountains State Park in the UP in late May during a heat wave many years ago, and the black flies in the forest were so awful that I had to give up my effort after 10 minutes. As soon as I exited the forest, however, the black flies ceased to be a problem.
Old 02-18-19, 05:32 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
"but by July if you're in the northwoods, out come the biting black flies, worse than the mosquitoes."

On one of my canoe camping trips a buddy of mine had over 100 black fly bites on his neck and back in one day. Myself and the other guy had zero. We wore mosquito nets and long sleeve shirts and pants. Yes, it was really hot, but we didn't suffer from the bites. Those black flies are super nasty.
Old 02-19-19, 12:19 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
TiHabanero, I hear ya, Those biting black flies really piss me off because they'll bite right thru my socks and get my ankles. We spent a week up in the Boundary Waters canoeing one July and as long as we stayed on the water, we were safe, but the moment we ran our canoe aground, it was only seconds before they swarmed us. We literally would hit the ground running and run for the tent. It got so bad that we had to decide which was worse, fighting the black flies or risk burning to death by cooking inside the tent, we chose the latter.
Old 02-19-19, 06:27 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
TiHabanero, I hear ya, Those biting black flies really piss me off because they'll bite right thru my socks and get my ankles. We spent a week up in the Boundary Waters canoeing one July and as long as we stayed on the water, we were safe, but the moment we ran our canoe aground, it was only seconds before they swarmed us. We literally would hit the ground running and run for the tent. It got so bad that we had to decide which was worse, fighting the black flies or risk burning to death by cooking inside the tent, we chose the latter.
I hear ya! We've settled on late September and early October for our U.P. vacations to avoid all this. Often wondered how Upper Michigan even got settled, between the winters and black flies.. ugh! Father Marquette had some fortitude to say the least.
Old 02-20-19, 06:14 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Yeah, leave the UP to the Uppers. They like it that way, fewer people, have it all to their own. Me? I'll stick to the lower peninsula and visit the UP every so often.
Old 02-20-19, 07:27 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Yeah, leave the UP to the Uppers. They like it that way, fewer people, have it all to their own. Me? I'll stick to the lower peninsula and visit the UP every so often.
Sorry, don't mean to be critical, but they are "Yoopers." I'm a "troll" and love their pasties.
Old 02-21-19, 01:21 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Oh, the local pasties, yum ! I'm betting most have never partaken.
Old 03-21-19, 11:28 AM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey guys, I'm not a frequent bike forums user but this June Tour is taking shape. We just started an email chain to discuss the trip. If anyone is interested my email is mattgholson at gmail.com I'll add you to the thread. Here's what we have so far.

The plan so far is leave from Chicago, head up Michigan, take a ferry across the lake to Wisconsin and head down Wisconsin back to Chicago. I know very generic. I'm buying a book that will detail the best route as far as lowest traffic/good condition gravel roads/along the lakefront etc. It contains places to stop for food etc and places to camp along with what facilities the campgrounds have to offer. The dates I have available are June 1st to the 10th. According to Matt's inquiry this is a good time for low to no bugs. We would drive to my parents. Spend the night and leave early the next morning. 6 am? 6 days of riding, 80 miles a day? 3 days in each state? The book will help with all the actual planning. I'm just making this other stuff up for now. It will be entirely self supported because our car or cars will be at my parents house. I for see this as being an incredible trip. I'll email the isbn for the book tomorrow. It can be purchased from Amazon for 25 dollars or so. I'm thinking 6 days of riding and 2 days of driving. Getting to Chicago and getting home. Michigan is pretty flat so we have that going for us. Hence the longer mileage each day and the fact we have the whole day each day to ride.
Old 03-21-19, 11:53 AM
bobwysiwyg

What's the book title you're referring to? Just curious.
Old 03-25-19, 08:44 AM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This is the book my friend is getting.

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycling-Gui.../dp/0981895220
Old 03-25-19, 09:44 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by gattm99
This is the book my friend is getting.

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycling-Gui.../dp/0981895220
The book might be helpful, but the trip is simpler than you think. Google Maps will lead you to bike trails and routes from the Loop to Indiana Dunes. It's a nice ride, I have done it a couple of times. From there, the ride to New Buffalo is pretty simple and you take USBR 35 along the coast to Muskegon. The only decisions to make then are where and how often you should stop and camp. There are plenty of choices. I haven't done the section from Milwaukee to the Illinois Beach State Park but it looks pretty simple for a day ride after an early ferry. Zion back to the Loop is an easy network of trails. Hopefully I'll see you next week at the Garden of the Gods.

Marc

Last edited by irwin7638; 03-25-19 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-25-19, 03:52 PM
bobwysiwyg

I browsed thru these documents and I believe it was the North lakes. It mentions a ferry going between St. Ignace and Mackinac City. There is no such ferry as far as I know with exception of Labor Day to accommodate walkers and runners for the annual event. Otherwise;

"Bicyclists are not allowed to cross the Mackinac Bridge on their own. The Mackinac BridgeAuthority will transport your group across the bridge in Mackinac Bridge Authority vehicles. ... The administration building is located on the north end of the Mackinac Bridge on the east side of the toll plaza."
Old 03-26-19, 07:39 AM
jefnvk

Oh no worries about flies in that area at all that time of year.

I browsed thru these documents and I believe it was the North lakes. It mentions a ferry going between St. Ignace and Mackinac City. There is no such ferry as far as I know with exception of Labor Day to accommodate walkers and runners for the annual event. Otherwise;

"Bicyclists are not allowed to cross the Mackinac Bridge on their own. The Mackinac BridgeAuthority will transport your group across the bridge in Mackinac Bridge Authority vehicles. ... The administration building is located on the north end of the Mackinac Bridge on the east side of the toll plaza."
No, but you can take the ferry from Mackinaw City to the Island to St Ignace if you buy a round trip. There isn't an option for such a ticket on the websites, but if you tell them what you are doing they are generally more than happy to let you do so, the destination coding on the tickets is more to make sure dimwitted tourists get back to the right docks. Had a buddy that was a ferry captain for a while up there. And wasn't one for the Labor Day walk either, that used to be busses, but they went and screwed that event all up last year out of fears of someone driving a car into the crowds. Only times you can (could?) take a bike over was for DALMAC (no longer allowed) and twice a year when one of the local groups puts on a a spring and fall Mackinaw County bike ride (not sure if that still happens)
Old 03-26-19, 08:05 AM
bobwysiwyg

If cost is an issue, this beats the $27 ferry cost, unless there is an interest in going to the island.
"The Mackinac Bridge Authority will transport your group across the bridge in Mackinac Bridge Authority vehicles. The fee is $2.00 per bicycle."
Old 03-26-19, 09:30 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I crossed Mackinac from St. Ignace. I called the bridge authority in advance and was instructed to ride to their building which is at the at the base of the bridge. I paid $5 and within 10 minutes a very nice lady in a pickup truck arrived and took me and my bike across the bridge to Mackinaw City. Very simple.
Old 03-26-19, 09:38 AM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by robert schlatte
I crossed Mackinac from St. Ignace. I called the bridge authority in advance and was instructed to ride to their building which is at the at the base of the bridge. I paid $5 and within 10 minutes a very nice lady in a pickup truck arrived and took me and my bike across the bridge to Mackinaw City. Very simple.
$5.00, #!? Inflation.
Old 03-26-19, 09:50 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
$5.00, #!? Inflation.
I crossed in 2017. $5 is what I remember. I thought it was cheap. I was solo. Maybe if you are crossing with a group, it is cheaper per rider as you said earlier???
Old 03-26-19, 10:00 AM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by robert schlatte
I crossed in 2017. $5 is what I remember. I thought it was cheap. I was solo. Maybe if you are crossing with a group, it is cheaper per rider as you said earlier???
I was quoting a cost I found on-line, which could have been old, or just plain wrong. I too would find $5 reasonable. Been to the island twice which is once too many.
Old 03-26-19, 11:08 AM
jefnvk

Been to the island twice which is once too many.
Gotta go in the winter. No crowds and saves you the ferry cost too

Old 03-26-19, 11:17 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I was quoting a cost I found on-line, which could have been old, or just plain wrong. I too would find $5 reasonable. Been to the island twice which is once too many.
The key to enjoying the island is spending the night. Once the crowd leaves at the end of the day, it is great.
Old 03-26-19, 11:20 AM
robert schlatte

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Gotta go in the winter. No crowds and saves you the ferry cost too

That's the way to get the island!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.