Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cannondale Topstone

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 08:25 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Did you ever get to ride a medium? Curious what your thoughts are after riding a large?
Not the person you asked, but I test rode a medium a month ago and felt it was a "big" medium. I'm 5'11", and don't think I would fit on a large at all given my fit on the medium.

I'm planning on heading to a shop tomorrow to see if they can change the stem to fine tune the fit, and if they're agreeable I'll hopefully be able to report back on what I think about the Topstone in even more depth! The model seems to be sprinkled out there, but I still haven't seen a ton of first-hand opinions about it.
Old 03-22-19, 08:28 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava
Not the person you asked, but I test rode a medium a month ago and felt it was a "big" medium. I'm 5'11", and don't think I would fit on a large at all given my fit on the medium.

I'm planning on heading to a shop tomorrow to see if they can change the stem to fine tune the fit, and if they're agreeable I'll hopefully be able to report back on what I think about the Topstone in even more depth! The model seems to be sprinkled out there, but I still haven't seen a ton of first-hand opinions about it.
Thanks dude, super helpful. I'm looking into finding a local shop that carries them. I have a buddy bike shop owner in Florida that said he'd put me on a medium given I ride a 56cm SuperSix at 6'. The stack and reach looks about right.
Old 03-22-19, 08:33 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks dude, super helpful. I'm looking into finding a local shop that carries them. I have a buddy bike shop owner in Florida that said he'd put me on a medium given I ride a 56cm SuperSix at 6'. The stack and reach looks about right.
Yeah, that seems right. This comparison between the Caad12 & Topstone might be helpful too. I don't know how the SuperSix compares to the Caad12, but it was helpful seeing the stack/reach diagrammed this way.
Old 03-22-19, 08:44 AM
shoota 

Yeah, that seems right. This comparison between the Caad12 & Topstone might be helpful too. I don't know how the SuperSix compares to the Caad12, but it was helpful seeing the stack/reach diagrammed this way.
Holy buckets, what a great diagram. Yeah, I'm definitely a Medium Topstone. now I have to 1) find a frameset, and 2) convince myself to ride a 22lbs gravel bike again.
Old 03-22-19, 11:36 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
If Cannondale used C1 Premium alloy for the Topstone it would be a sub 20lbs bike easy. The Slate frame is incredibly light because of it. I wonder why only the CAAD12 and Slate get the high-end aluminum treatment. There isn't even a version of the Synapse alloy that has the super bling aluminum.
Old 03-22-19, 01:00 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by gus6464
If Cannondale used C1 Premium alloy for the Topstone it would be a sub 20lbs bike easy. The Slate frame is incredibly light because of it. I wonder why only the CAAD12 and Slate get the high-end aluminum treatment. There isn't even a version of the Synapse alloy that has the super bling aluminum.
Bummer huh? It's probably a price point thing.
Old 03-22-19, 01:26 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
because a carbon version is coming. Just like the CAADX being C2, there's no reason for a C1 version when there's the superx. The CAAD12 in C1 makes sense because its competition is the allez spring and emonda alr and plenty of people build them up for crit racing as easily replaceable crash consumables.
Old 03-22-19, 01:42 PM
shoota 

OMG I just bought an early Graphite with Ultegra. That happened way faster than I was planning on.
Old 03-22-19, 06:43 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I’m 5’-11”, and just did a short test ride on a size M Topstone. They only had the Sora version in stock, but the fit should be the same. It fit well! I usually ride a 56cm or 58cm road bike. I had more seatpost exposed than normal, but less than in the marketing photos (frame is designed for a long seatpost).
Old 03-23-19, 08:15 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I’m 5’-11”, and just did a short test ride on a size M Topstone. They only had the Sora version in stock, but the fit should be the same. It fit well! I usually ride a 56cm or 58cm road bike. I had more seatpost exposed than normal, but less than in the marketing photos (frame is designed for a long seatpost).
Good to hear, that's the size I went with.
Old 03-24-19, 12:08 PM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's what I ended up with too! It has 105 shifters though, so way to go lucking out with those Ultegras! The shop took their time to fit me to the bike, including shortening the stem for a better fit, and setting the tires up tubeless from the get-go. I was really happy with that service, and definitely sold on the value. Fenders and an eventual rack for commuting/light touring duty, and it seems like this bike will be able to do it all!

I'm not sure how I feel about the WTB Nanos at this point. I've never ridden bigger tires than 25mm, so don't have a good feel for what's normal. They don't feel like they're slowing me down much, but they do hum at higher speeds, and I'm wondering whether Gravelking slicks will be noticeably faster. The Fabric Saddle seems nice, but not revolutionary. A little uncomfortable without a chamois, but not the worst I've felt. New 105 components feel pristine and wonderful to shift, and I'm really happy with the braking power coming from 10-year-old rim brakes that are probably pretty worn out.

Old 03-24-19, 08:03 PM
shoota 

That's what I ended up with too! It has 105 shifters though, so way to go lucking out with those Ultegras! The shop took their time to fit me to the bike, including shortening the stem for a better fit, and setting the tires up tubeless from the get-go. I was really happy with that service, and definitely sold on the value. Fenders and an eventual rack for commuting/light touring duty, and it seems like this bike will be able to do it all!

I'm not sure how I feel about the WTB Nanos at this point. I've never ridden bigger tires than 25mm, so don't have a good feel for what's normal. They don't feel like they're slowing me down much, but they do hum at higher speeds, and I'm wondering whether Gravelking slicks will be noticeably faster. The Fabric Saddle seems nice, but not revolutionary. A little uncomfortable without a chamois, but not the worst I've felt. New 105 components feel pristine and wonderful to shift, and I'm really happy with the braking power coming from 10-year-old rim brakes that are probably pretty worn out.
Looking good! I'm not gonna lie I'm already having buyer's remorse and I haven't even received it yet. I'm worried about its weight and how snappy it will feel. And I'm not a black bike or Shimano kind of guy. I'm a blue bike and Sram guy. wtf did I do lol.
Old 03-24-19, 08:09 PM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Looking good! I'm not gonna lie I'm already having buyer's remorse and I haven't even received it yet. I'm worried about its weight and how snappy it will feel. And I'm not a black bike or Shimano kind of guy. I'm a blue bike and Sram guy. wtf did I do lol.
Oh no, I'm sure you're aware that there is a blue/SRAM Topstone!

I'm really loving the snappiness of it so far: that's what sold me on it over a heavier steel bike with higher trails. I definitely wanted a 2x drivetrain for versatility, too, so it was a pretty straightforward choice for me in the end.
Old 03-24-19, 08:12 PM
shoota 

Oh no, I'm sure you're aware that there is a blue/SRAM Topstone!

I'm really loving the snappiness of it so far: that's what sold me on it over a heavier steel bike with higher trails. I definitely wanted a 2x drivetrain for versatility, too, so it was a pretty straightforward choice for me in the end.
Yeah..I know and I wish I could have had that one but I'm not sold on 1X either. I was initially hesitant but when I saw the Ultegra bits and the price I was sold. Maybe a little of an impulse buy but I guess I can always swap out the components if I need to.
Old 03-26-19, 03:51 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about the WTB Nanos at this point. I've never ridden bigger tires than 25mm, so don't have a good feel for what's normal. They don't feel like they're slowing me down much, but they do hum at higher speeds, and I'm wondering whether Gravelking slicks will be noticeably faster.
If you want tubeless then GK slicks.

Otherwise you could drop Panaracer Pasela 700x38 on there too... some puncture protect. and either would be way faster than the Nano's
Old 03-26-19, 05:50 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
If you want tubeless then GK slicks.

Otherwise you could drop Panaracer Pasela 700x38 on there too... some puncture protect. and either would be way faster than the Nano's
Yeah, I've been happy with the GK slicks as a narrow winter tire on my beater bike, so I may go that route eventually. I've never worked with tubeless setups before, so there's a little bit of a mental hurdle I have to get over first when deciding to swap them!
Old 03-26-19, 08:42 AM
itskohler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
For what it's worth, if anyone looking for advice on sizing later - I'm 6'1" and found the Large to feel better than the Medium. I have a 34" inseam and a pretty long wingspan to boot.

Now to my question for you all... How heavy are the stock wheels? Are they worth replacing with some Hunt 4 Seasons?
Old 03-26-19, 09:23 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by itskohler
For what it's worth, if anyone looking for advice on sizing later - I'm 6'1" and found the Large to feel better than the Medium. I have a 34" inseam and a pretty long wingspan to boot.

Now to my question for you all... How heavy are the stock wheels? Are they worth replacing with some Hunt 4 Seasons?
Stock wheels on which build? All three are different.

With that being said, I will know the wheelset weight of the 105 build this weekend. I'll post that.

And with that being said, I can GUARANTEE you that putting a set of Hunts on there is worth it.
Old 03-26-19, 09:24 AM
shoota 

Yeah, I've been happy with the GK slicks as a narrow winter tire on my beater bike, so I may go that route eventually. I've never worked with tubeless setups before, so there's a little bit of a mental hurdle I have to get over first when deciding to swap them!
Setting up tubeless is really not that difficult. Either watch a couple videos or have a shop do it. Once you go tubeless you'll wonder why you waited so long.
Old 03-26-19, 11:57 AM
itskohler

Stock wheels on which build? All three are different.

With that being said, I will know the wheelset weight of the 105 build this weekend. I'll post that.

And with that being said, I can GUARANTEE you that putting a set of Hunts on there is worth it.
Sora, so bottom tier but far better than any other non-mtb I've owned. Mostly going to be used for commuting, and I'm already buying used Rival/Apex parts on the cheap to replace once the groupset is complete.

Good to hear about the Hunts though. Would you say the weight savings is the benefit, or just a better all around wheel?
Old 03-26-19, 12:00 PM
shoota 

Sora, so bottom tier but far better than any other non-mtb I've owned. Mostly going to be used for commuting, and I'm already buying used Rival/Apex parts on the cheap to replace once the groupset is complete.

Good to hear about the Hunts though. Would you say the weight savings is the benefit, or just a better all around wheel?
In literally every single way will the Hunts be better. Lighter, more aero, better hubs/bearings, tubeless (your wheels aren't), and looks. Which Hunt wheelset are you looking at specifically?
Old 03-26-19, 12:18 PM
itskohler

In literally every single way will the Hunts be better. Lighter, more aero, better hubs/bearings, tubeless (your wheels aren't), and looks. Which Hunt wheelset are you looking at specifically?
The MASON x HUNT 4 Season. I'm open to other cheap, but better-than-stock wheelsets though.
Old 03-26-19, 12:21 PM
shoota 

The MASON x HUNT 4 Season. I'm open to other cheap, but better-than-stock wheelsets though.
That's gonna be a pretty tough value to beat.
Old 03-26-19, 12:28 PM
itskohler

That's gonna be a pretty tough value to beat.
Glad to hear it. I'll spend hours looking for deals on one specific part or piece, Hunt just happened to show up on Instagram as an ad.
Old 03-26-19, 12:38 PM
shoota 

Glad to hear it. I'll spend hours looking for deals on one specific part or piece, Hunt just happened to show up on Instagram as an ad.
Just be aware of their weight limit. Lightweight, cheap wheels don't come without their compromises.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.