Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Goodbye to bad habits

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Goodbye to bad habits

Old 03-29-19, 02:39 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,013 Posts
Goodbye to bad habits

Waving off beer and junk food at this phase of the game I feel everything that is unhealthy. I’m fixing to get on my gravel bike and hammer out some miles clearing my head and getting a jolt of endorphins. I can’t outride the vices like I use to in my younger days
Old 03-29-19, 05:00 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 914 Times in 535 Posts
Good luck! Whenever I begin a healthy regiment I try not to stop everything at the same time. I remember 1 year I quit virtually everything and I went crazy in a month. Usually I'll start with Alcohol, then later clean the diet up a little at a time. 1 year my resolution towards junk food was that I just wouldn't buy anything that was served through a drive through window.
Old 03-29-19, 05:05 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Waving off beer and junk food at this phase of the game I feel everything that is unhealthy.
Waving off BEER??? THAT's Just Not Right!!! When I ride, I tend to burn off the toxins in my body anyway, so a few beers won't kill me... That's my story, and I'm sticking to it !!!
Old 03-29-19, 05:09 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Heck, one of the key reasons I ride is so I can embellish my vices!!!
Old 03-29-19, 06:15 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,013 Posts
Just finished a 30 mile ride a sweated out last nights toxins so I reconsidered now that I feel better a few beers and smelling oil based Kilz ( I was priming some walls ) I think I had a Kilz hangover more than beer.
Old 03-29-19, 08:22 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I've found that it is the preservatives in most Domestic beers that I have a problem with the next morning. If I have three or more Domestics, I feel it the next day. My German-import beers (generally don't have preservatives) don't have that effect. Or as the Warsteiner slogan says - 'Life is to short to drink cheap beer' Actually, it isn't all that more expensive compared to 'premium' Domestics, and it is less expensive than most domestic Craft beers...
Old 03-29-19, 09:38 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Goodbye to bad habits:
Waving off beer and junk food at this phase of the game I feel everything that is unhealthy. I’m fixing to get on my gravel bike and hammer out some miles clearing my head and getting a jolt of endorphins.

I can’t outride the vices like I use to in my younger days
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Good luck! Whenever I begin a healthy regiment I try not to stop everything at the same time.

I remember 1 year I quit virtually everything and I went crazy in a month. Usually I'll start with Alcohol, then later clean the diet up a little at a time. 1 year my resolution towards junk food was that I just wouldn't buy anything that was served through a drive through window.
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Waving off BEER??? THAT's Just Not Right!!! When I ride, I tend to burn off the toxins in my body anyway, so a few beers won't kill me...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it !!!
I once had a chat with a Marathon Runner, and he touted the bracing cardiovascular effects of a run. I told him I appreciated the detoxifying effects of good bike ride, especially after a fine (indulgent) meal the night before.

Apropos getting on a stricter lifestyle regimen, I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
winter is coming to an end

I don't think of a cycling season, but rather a cycling year with a cycle of seasons....

Not to sound religious, but I I like to think of Ash Wednesday as my “New Cycling Year’s Day.” It occurs usually still well into the Winter and I use that forty-day period of Lent as a marker to define a tolerable length of time to go into a rigorous dietary and training mode to shake off the winter blahs, even though I ride during the Winter anyways.

By Easter, Spring is making itself known and I’m particularly ready for it.

This year, Ash Wednesday is this week, March 6.

PS: I just encountered this post
written by the OP a few hours ago to a different Fifty-Plus thread, referring to vegetarian cyclists.
I like my vegetables but I need my cow, pig, chicken and fish.
Not that he negates his OP.

Actually, I'm trying a low-carb diet, and fish and sparingly lean pork, and lesser beef. are my main sources of protein. I don't like chicken, and in fact just today, a colleague with whom I exchange restaurant recommendations asked me "Do you like fried chicken?"

I do like turkey white meat.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-29-19 at 10:30 PM. Reason: adde PS
Old 03-29-19, 10:31 PM
Xyrium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way less calories in bourbon....just sayin'...
Old 03-30-19, 03:37 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Xyrium
I do like my martinis, especially après cycling.
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Jim,I thought you had everything you needed in that huge bag on the back of your bike.

Originally Posted by Louis
...the portable martini kit. What the hell, man, he's ready now.

Originally Posted by miss kenton
...And I can assure you, the portables are potable!

Old 03-30-19, 07:47 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
You guys left out Wine...

I am one of those guys who can toss down beer after beer after beer, like everybody else. But then I soon realized "Hey, where did this beer belly come from?" So, I started reading things about antioxidants or whatever it is, and the calories and body metabolism stuff regarding beer, wine, and heck, even Maker's Mark Bourbon...

The healthiest is actually wine. No, no, not that ridiculous fruity strawberry/peach flavored "chick wine" garbage that my wife likes... I'm talking red wines like Merlot or that other one called Cabernet Sauvignon (spelling?). There is something inside wine, that is actually very healthy and wards off heart disease and other issues such as Type-2 diabetes and keeping your A1C level low.
Old 03-30-19, 09:34 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jameson's , just sayin
Old 03-30-19, 03:45 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Xyrium
... and there you go! Rye guy myself (Canjun, eh), but the principle holds.
Old 03-30-19, 04:55 PM
Xyrium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely, totally been doing Rye in my Old Fashioned to spice 'em up a bit...using West something or other High Rye.,

Edit: Jumbled it a bit, it's High West, Double Rye!
Old 03-30-19, 05:08 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It's been almost ten years since divirticulitis took away anything carbonated, pasta sauce, and a laundry list of other foods. So I absolutely refuse to voluntarily restrict myself from anything. If I can eat it, I'm gonna eat it. I'll just ride more. Averaging 10k miles a year means I can eat pretty much all the donuts I want. Then again, I've never been a beer drinker, so I never had to give that up.
Old 04-02-19, 04:39 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Is cheese considered junk food? Not sure I can give it up, but I gave up alcohol in my 20's, so I know I can do it if needed. How I really enjoy cheese!
Old 04-02-19, 04:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I wondered about this myself some time ago. Cheese is much like wine, in that a reasonable amount-- and not the kind that comes from a spray can-- is good for you. Like say, Kraft American Slices or any kind of "cheese food?" Yeah. Junk. But real cheese, from like the Trader Joes or the deli, or even a block of Tillamook, that's good stuff.
Old 04-03-19, 06:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
Wine guy here. One of the things I don't like about bike touring in PA is that it can be difficult to find wine for camp at the end of the day, or even at all. It's gotten somewhat easier since the state started allowing grocery stores to obtain special licenses to sell wine a few years ago, but you generally only find that in grocery stores. Absent one of those, you are stuck with state-controlled liquor stores. In rural areas, they can be few and far between. If you do happen to come across one, it may only be open limited hours on limited days. And it's no fun to carry a heavy bottle of wine a long distance to camp. I often end up getting a small, plastic bottle of bourbon if I still have a long way to go. It just boggles my mind that it can be easier to get a bottle of wine in a small town in Montana than in rural PA.

And I will leave you with this fun factoid which I believe is still true: PA is largest single purchaser of wine and spirits in the U.S.
Old 04-03-19, 06:45 AM
Xyrium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Is cheese considered junk food? Not sure I can give it up, but I gave up alcohol in my 20's, so I know I can do it if needed. How I really enjoy cheese!
Wow, if you can give up alcohol in your 20's, then honestly, I'm confident that you could do anything. Those were my highest consumption years, aside from after getting married! LOL
Old 04-03-19, 06:51 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I was forced to give up alcohol 30 years ago. I'm keeping the rest of my vices. Getting rid of one in a lifetime is enough.
Old 04-03-19, 05:33 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Xyrium, believe it or not, I was in the Navy at the time. We all know about drunken sailors. Went to an Airforce party and someone spiked my beer with some kind of chemical. It was a horrible experience with hallucinations and paranoia. Had to drive my motorcycle 20 miles back to the ship and recall begging God for a safe arrival and to keep me upright. Since then I just don't like to not have control of myself. As I taught my kids "If you are not in control of yourself, someone else is."
Old 04-03-19, 07:55 PM
Xyrium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's definitely not something anyone wants to go through, and though I've have a few coming to God moments in my life, they were mostly brought on by myself. Regardless, it's still great that you're able to take control in that manner, it definitely makes you a stronger person for it.
Old 04-09-19, 05:53 AM
cmoore

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi, new guy here. I too was one of those guys that never met a beer he didn't like but 15 years ago I gave it and all other alcohol up. No mas I said one day and never looked back. For me it was the best decision I've made in my life. Bicycling has shown me how to eat better, sleep better and feel better. I still fall for chocolate and cookies in the holiday season but in general stick to a healthy diet.