Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

So disappointed by Cycliq

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

So disappointed by Cycliq

Old 04-01-19, 04:59 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by OhLylo
I tend to agree, but I'm not sure what else to do given that I've worked through two devices and every troubleshooting step they've offered. I'm not a luddite, I work in IT and I like to think I'm pretty competent when it comes to fiddling with tech. At this point, it's just more of a hassle than it's worth.
I'd bet it's the SD card speed. There's a lot of BS going on between manufacturers on speed. Samung tends to lead the industry by a fair amount in process technology in FLASH. I've had zero problems with the Samsung high speed cards I mentioned. Might be worth a try. I don't think I'd take Cycliq's word for it - small company and I doubt they have any real resources to test card speed. I'm betting their "test" probably was putting a card in and trying it and then calling it good.

J.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 04-01-19, 06:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
What resolutions does the camera support?

Is there a way to drop the resolution down a bit? 720p, 1080p? Perhaps a slower frame rate.

If it bonks on high resolution, but not low resolution, then either speed, or perhaps a faulty card would be an issue.

I have a first gen Fly 6. It did OK for a while. The straps were a problem, and I broke a few of them.

I think over time the battery started getting weak, and would tend to konk out earlier than expected. The, the USB port eventually stopped charging, and the device became a paperweight.

I asked about orientation because there is a 15 minute auto-off feature related to wrecks and crashes. That shouldn't be an issue if kept mostly vertical from the time it is turned on through the ride. Mine worked just fine upside-down too. But, it will stop if the thing is tilted sideways for a period.

Now, it is possible that the orientation sensor is damaged???

Or perhaps a faulty battery????

I think the new Fly6CE has a few different modes including camera only (no light), and perhaps light only (no camera). You could try to replicate the issue with the camera only mode, or light only mode.

But, for new devices, I would hope a faulty battery isn't the issue, especially since they are supposed to be a pain to replace.
Old 04-02-19, 08:03 AM
OhLylo

Bikes: FX3 Frankenbike, Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
What resolutions does the camera support?

Is there a way to drop the resolution down a bit? 720p, 1080p? Perhaps a slower frame rate.

If it bonks on high resolution, but not low resolution, then either speed, or perhaps a faulty card would be an issue.

I have a first gen Fly 6. It did OK for a while. The straps were a problem, and I broke a few of them.

I think over time the battery started getting weak, and would tend to konk out earlier than expected. The, the USB port eventually stopped charging, and the device became a paperweight.

I asked about orientation because there is a 15 minute auto-off feature related to wrecks and crashes. That shouldn't be an issue if kept mostly vertical from the time it is turned on through the ride. Mine worked just fine upside-down too. But, it will stop if the thing is tilted sideways for a period.

Now, it is possible that the orientation sensor is damaged???

Or perhaps a faulty battery????

I think the new Fly6CE has a few different modes including camera only (no light), and perhaps light only (no camera). You could try to replicate the issue with the camera only mode, or light only mode.

But, for new devices, I would hope a faulty battery isn't the issue, especially since they are supposed to be a pain to replace.
Yeah, it supports 1080/60, 1080/30, and I think 720/60 as well. I've been disabling the idle mode and incident mode settings to rule them out, but I thought the incident mode was supposed to just prevent the footage from being overwritten if you crash or whatever? That should rule out the orientation sensor, at any rate. The battery seems fine, it's not running out of charge when it shuts off. When I check it after, it's always been at 80% or higher.

Paypal awarded me a refund yesterday, so I can safely let it sit on my desk and be useless now. Shame, though. It's a cool device, but it shouldn't require this level of tinkering to work consistently, especially when the main selling point is as a safety enhancement device.
Old 04-03-19, 04:43 PM
JohnJ80

Yeah, it supports 1080/60, 1080/30, and I think 720/60 as well. I've been disabling the idle mode and incident mode settings to rule them out, but I thought the incident mode was supposed to just prevent the footage from being overwritten if you crash or whatever? That should rule out the orientation sensor, at any rate. The battery seems fine, it's not running out of charge when it shuts off. When I check it after, it's always been at 80% or higher.

Paypal awarded me a refund yesterday, so I can safely let it sit on my desk and be useless now. Shame, though. It's a cool device, but it shouldn't require this level of tinkering to work consistently, especially when the main selling point is as a safety enhancement device.
Now I'm having problems with mine (and it's brand new). I'm wondering if there aren't a bad batch of these out there. I have one I just got off of Amazon and it won't record, runs 5 mins and shuts off. I can power it on but I can't power it off. And it doesn't matter whether there's a card in there or not. I've reformatted the card in the unit (supposedly), I've reformatted it on my mac to MS-DOS format, etc... It's nonfunctional at the most basic level (ie. power off button).

I'm thinking they might have a problem. The probability that we both are having trouble is not a good sign.

J.
Old 04-03-19, 05:20 PM
OhLylo

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Now I'm having problems with mine (and it's brand new). I'm wondering if there aren't a bad batch of these out there. I have one I just got off of Amazon and it won't record, runs 5 mins and shuts off. I can power it on but I can't power it off. And it doesn't matter whether there's a card in there or not. I've reformatted the card in the unit (supposedly), I've reformatted it on my mac to MS-DOS format, etc... It's nonfunctional at the most basic level (ie. power off button).

I'm thinking they might have a problem. The probability that we both are having trouble is not a good sign.

J.
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. That sounds like the exact same flaky stuff mine was doing. I don't see an obvious indicator for build date or batch on either of mine, although one has a 4xxxxxxx serial number and one has a 5xxxxxxx serial number. Not sure if that means one is a later build or what.
Old 04-03-19, 08:25 PM
JohnJ80

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. That sounds like the exact same flaky stuff mine was doing. I don't see an obvious indicator for build date or batch on either of mine, although one has a 4xxxxxxx serial number and one has a 5xxxxxxx serial number. Not sure if that means one is a later build or what.
Serial number on mine is 0500xxxxx which is probably a later build. At any rate, I processed the return with Amazon and the new one should be here on Friday. I'll see if I can get that to behave differently.

I wonder if there is a way to a "blow it's brains out" master reset.

J.
Old 04-04-19, 12:00 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
You would think a firmware update would do just that. Good luck in any event, sorry to see you guys have to go through this, but these cameras are a blast once you get them working properly. I have the Fly12ce, FWIW, no problems here except getting the tiny SD card seated in the tiny slot for it. Fixed that by just leaving it alone once I got it working.
Old 04-04-19, 02:49 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
You would think a firmware update would do just that. Good luck in any event, sorry to see you guys have to go through this, but these cameras are a blast once you get them working properly. I have the Fly12ce, FWIW, no problems here except getting the tiny SD card seated in the tiny slot for it. Fixed that by just leaving it alone once I got it working.
my Fly12ce has worked just fine too, FWIW.

J.
Old 04-04-19, 07:38 AM
OhLylo

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Serial number on mine is 0500xxxxx which is probably a later build. At any rate, I processed the return with Amazon and the new one should be here on Friday. I'll see if I can get that to behave differently.

I wonder if there is a way to a "blow it's brains out" master reset.

J.
There is the "master reset" they have you do by holding both buttons for 30 seconds. For me, this did absolutely nothing (except make my fingers tired - those buttons are tough!) when my camera was acting up like yours, but it's worth a shot if you haven't tried it already. It doesn't seem like there's any other way to interface with it without some sort of hardware hacking.
Old 04-04-19, 07:41 AM
JohnJ80

There is the "master reset" they have you do by holding both buttons for 30 seconds. For me, this did absolutely nothing (except make my fingers tired - those buttons are tough!) when my camera was acting up like yours, but it's worth a shot if you haven't tried it already. It doesn't seem like there's any other way to interface with it without some sort of hardware hacking.
thanks. I’ll give that a try. I may try reloading new firmware again.
Old 04-04-19, 08:43 AM
JohnJ80

Ok, I did this.

I did a master reset holding down the q button for 35 seconds: No change.

I did a master reset as you have suggested with both buttons for 35 seconds: no change.

I reinstalled the firmware update twice: No change.

What it does is it powers up, does the beeps, the bezel LEDs illuminate in a circle pattern and remains that way. At that point it is completely nonresponsive to any button input and will shut off by itself in about a minute or so. So, I think it's brains are hatched.

New one will be here on Friday. I'll send this one back to Amazon on the same day. I have to say, Amazon is amazing on this. I asked to return because it's defective, they immediately sent another one out and I have 30 days to return this unit or be charged for it. Shipping was no charge to me. I'm sure that as soon as Amazon is notified it is UPS's hands, I'll be credited with the return.
Old 04-06-19, 11:13 AM
JohnJ80

I received the new one from Amazon, charged it up and updated the firmware. So far, it looks like it works. So.... I guess we'll see. When it quits raining, I'll take it for a ride.

J.
Old 08-12-19, 03:49 AM
johndiam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have had the exact same issue, but they won't even reply to my complaints anymore. Started off ok, but got a message a few days ago saying they have high volume of emails and will get back to me but still nothing. I haven't received a replacement yet and am left with a bricked unit

I think I might just have to bit the bullet and throw it in the bin, since I can't see them providing a refund.
Likes For johndiam:
Old 08-12-19, 04:24 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
sometimes they are more responsive on Facebook, FWIW
Old 08-12-19, 08:06 AM
JohnJ80

I have to say that once I got it working, it’s been really stable. I use the headlight every ride the taillight less so. But I’ve used the video several times with law enforcement successfully. So it’s a great product from an under resourced company.

I originally thought the taillight would be more useful, but it turned out that the headlight is. The taillight shows you what’s about to happen only from behind and it doesn’t show you the full impact of the infraction. The headlight does.
Old 01-10-20, 01:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Originally Posted by adam0c
found this via a bit of your local search engine......
Welcome to BF

Last edited by LAJ; 01-10-20 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Double post.
Old 02-04-20, 08:11 AM
616WestMichigan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does the 64GB extend loop?

Wondering if changing to the 64gb card extends loop to 4 hours?

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I found out on mine (Fly 12) I can run a 64 gb card fine, even though the instructions say you can only use a 32.
Old 02-29-20, 07:35 PM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
I am chicken to pull one of my cards, front or rear. Be Well, Bluesfrog.
Old 04-03-20, 05:52 AM
thirdcycliqfail

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My (replacement) cycliq 6 is now acting up

Hello All,

I came accross this thread while trying to google why the 30s (one and two button) factory reset does nothing.
I am on my second new model fly 6 and it is not turning on at all.
the first one i returned had an 'SD' card error despite the fact i ensured that the SD card met the requirements. the factory reset didn't work on that one either

does anyone know how to sucessfully reset the device. I am not a commuter rider (25 min commute) and the light lies dormant over summer (it is sunny) now as i go to use it again it is cactus.

the only weird similarity with my usage is that the device went haywire after a period of not being frequently used. i can't understand why this could kill a device.

Cycliq has no phone number to actually talk to someone, so the email back and fourth take soooooo long. I am not in IT but i shouldn't need to be to troubleshoot this issue

please help if you can
Old 06-20-20, 02:09 PM
Geekage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hi. I thought I'd chime in here.

My battery just went out a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say, support wasn't any help. They had me do a master reset then weren't heard from after that.

I took it apart since it's no longer under warranty. There is no voltage across the battery terminals at all.

Yeah, replacing the cell wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible either. Luckily I had a spare 18650 cell around.

Basic steps (because typing on my phone on this site sucks)
0. Disassemble Fly6. Since the serial number sticker is half on the rubber gasket, you can get the two plastic halves apart without tearing that sticker since it doesn't stick that well to the rubber.
1. Unplug battery, remove heat shrink, and desolder protection PCB at contacts on board, not the spot welds on the battery.
2. Do same for donor battery.
3. Resolder Fly6 CE protection circuit into donor battery.
4. Wrap with electrical tape or heat shrink. Cannibalize foam tape from original battery and put it on donor.
5. Reinstall & reassemble. Or test first, noting that the protection circuit may be tripped, so you may need to charge through Fly6 before it starts working.
​​​
Bonus: this battery is supposed to be higher capacity, so maybe it'll last for my six hour rides.
Likes For Geekage:
Old 06-20-20, 02:23 PM
Geekage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdcycliqfail
Hello All,

I came accross this thread while trying to google why the 30s (one and two button) factory reset does nothing.
I am on my second new model fly 6 and it is not turning on at all.
the first one i returned had an 'SD' card error despite the fact i ensured that the SD card met the requirements. the factory reset didn't work on that one either

does anyone know how to sucessfully reset the device. I am not a commuter rider (25 min commute) and the light lies dormant over summer (it is sunny) now as i go to use it again it is cactus.

the only weird similarity with my usage is that the device went haywire after a period of not being frequently used. i can't understand why this could kill a device.

Cycliq has no phone number to actually talk to someone, so the email back and fourth take soooooo long. I am not in IT but i shouldn't need to be to troubleshoot this issue

please help if you can
How I was able to guess that my battery was dead was when I was able to get it to work when plugged in.

With it plugged in, I was able to do a master reset, then turn on the light and record. I was also able to connect to it through the app and it reported 100% battery charge (ha!). While running the unit and recording, I unplug it and it immediately died.

​​Sounded​​​​ like a dead battery to me. From there I proceeded to fix it by voiding the expired warranty as detailed in my previous post.
Old 06-28-20, 04:32 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
I'm hoping for a Garmin Radar/Light coupled with a purpose built VIRB ecosystem camera.

Forget Cycliq.
Old 06-28-20, 05:15 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by cybirr
I'm hoping for a Garmin Radar/Light coupled with a purpose built VIRB ecosystem camera.

Forget Cycliq.
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Garmin did release a radar without a light though. That is interesting to me since you can stash it on the frame somewhere or even in your jersey pocket, and it is out of the way. You don't need two mounting points for lights (Varia and then for the Cycliq FLY6CE).

Just today, I had a close pass from a car. I took the video and contacted law enforcement. They're going to talk to the driver. I uploaded it to the Upride.cc website and waiting for it to go live. Have to say, was a little rocky getting them stabilized but now that they are, they work pretty well.
Old 07-03-20, 05:37 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Certain Cards work better than others...

I had a similar problem with the Fly6 CE, but I had put a 64gig card in it. It never worked right with a 64, so, I swapped a 32 in there, without any problems. What's worked is a SANDISK Extreme 32.
Old 07-03-20, 05:40 PM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Should I have a problem in the future, I would probably send it to you. I'm about as clumsy as they come, and dont' want to give Cyliq anymore money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.