Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feeling guilty about a new bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Feeling guilty about a new bike

Old 04-12-19, 10:36 AM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Definitely go for it. Build it up exactly as you want. My guess is you will grin everytime you ride it or even look at it.

When I retired I built up a new dream road and mtn bike. Bought bare frames. Built the wheels etc. Selected every part and assembled with care and detail. Sold the old bikes to clear out the space for new.

One of the best things I have ever done. No regrets at all. They are both wonderful to ride. Never should have waited so long to do this. Everytime I swing a leg over these machines I just grin.

I did demo bikes for 3+ years on and off to make sure I knew what I wanted and worked for me. Even rented bikes on vacations and events. Got crazy familiar with different geometries, brands, categories, groupsets, ride quality differences, wheels, etc. I did know what I wanted and worked for my needs when it was time to build.

Good luck
Old 04-12-19, 01:05 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
You will get used to electronic shifting very quickly. Once you do, you will never go back to mechanical. I like to get in an aero position and rest my hands on the horns....shifting can be done with my pinky without moving my hands (and I do not have big hands).

When you say reach to the shifters are a tad long, do you mean your reach in general or the levers you press to make a shift?
Well, it's slightly longer to grab the brakes, probably talking mm's. I can reach the shifters pretty well.
Old 04-12-19, 01:13 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
Well, it's slightly longer to grab the brakes, probably talking mm's. I can reach the shifters pretty well.
You can adjust the reach. I have mine adjusted accordingly as well.
Old 04-12-19, 01:40 PM
nesdog

Originally Posted by jadocs
You can adjust the reach. I have mine adjusted accordingly as well.
That was my thinking as well. Thanks for confirming!
Old 04-13-19, 08:29 AM
nesdog

Old 04-13-19, 08:30 AM
nesdog

Three color choices I'm thinking of.
Old 04-13-19, 10:05 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I can definitely relate to your situation. My situation was a little different. I had finished with 4 college tuition's (with 3 going at the same time) that were extremely challenging for us......during that period my wife and I would discuss finances almost weekly to try and figure out how to pay bills from one week to the next. After that period was over we finally got our heads above water and were sailing along rather nicely. My family was so appreciative they supported me doing something for myself. So, I bought a bike that was way more than what I needed but it was one that I'd eye'd for a long time. It was a great decision. For one thing it stopped the "looking at new bikes" and doing the wishful thinking thing. I've had that bike for almost ten years and I still enjoy it as much today as the first day I rode it. It had the first 11 speed drive train that was available so it's still fairly new from a tech standpoint. I did buy the dream bike after the next model year bikes came out so I was able to get the complete dream bike at a greatly reduced price.

I have added another bike since that bike just to get disc brakes on a road bike. I love the disc brakes but will offer that I think the disc brake set up adds a pound or so to really lightweight bikes. But if you can get the new bike with disc brakes and reduce weight from what you are currently riding you have the best of both worlds. You might want to check wheel-set options when you buy your bike. That is the biggest and best improvement you can make. My new disc brake bike came with a 1900 gram wheel-set which is super heavy. I purchased a 1320 gram wheel-set directly from China that has made a world of difference and with performance.

Let us know what you decide!!
Old 04-13-19, 03:33 PM
nesdog

The Domane I'm looking at weighs in at 17.5 including discs and electronics. Wheelset, a Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3, comes in around 1600 grams. I think their next tier is the Aeolus XXX 2 which is 1380 grams. I don't know what the upcharge is for that item but intend to ask. It reduces weight by about 1/2 pound. I would probably never swap out the wheels normally but as this is my one shot at grabbing a great bike and it sorta buries the cost, I want to at least see what the difference is. I definitely won't upgrade if it's way expensive. This bike is already lighter than my 4.3.
Old 04-14-19, 01:46 PM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I retired in June of '18 with a combined 40 plus years in the Marines and law enforcement. This January, I almost checked out from blood clots in both lungs...big ones. I was stupid enough to wait to see my primary care doc until the day after a breathless 3/4 mile ride on my Giant Roam 1 hybrid. Felt like I had pneumonia. Wasn't pneumonia. Now cycling to have fun, AND stay ahead of the Reaper.

Want to extend my rides a bit from my daily 10 to 20 miles.

Test rode a Specialized Roubaix ($4,200) with electronic shift, and a Diverge Comp ($3,700).

Rationale: It will help keep me fit so that I live to enjoy retirement (almost didn't). We put our two kids through college, our home got a complete remodel (gutted) with zero additional debt last year, and my wife can retire soon, too. Guilt free on this. And also very lucky.

Bikes are now as expensive as used cars, but guess what? They always were! The Schwinn Continental cost $104.95 in 1972...the year I bought my first car for a hundred bucks on the nose, running, with current plates!

The Continental was too extravagant for me. I rode a 43 pound Varsity, for which I paid about $79.00 new.

Last edited by rnothog; 04-14-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 04:13 PM
nesdog

Originally Posted by rnothog
Bikes are now as expensive as used cars, but guess what? They always were! The Schwinn Continental cost $104.95 in 1972...the year I bought my first car for a hundred bucks on the nose, running, with current plates!

My Peugeot U08, purchased when I was in high school was about $250. It was a fortune! I kept the bike for over 40 years. I"d like to think I can keep this new one that long!

Okay, now I'm leaning towards the blue one. My current Domane is that color and I've already got a helmet and gloves that match!
Old 04-14-19, 04:16 PM
nesdog

Originally Posted by rnothog
I retired in June of '18 with a combined 40 plus years in the Marines and law enforcement. This January, I almost checked out from blood clots in both lungs...big ones. I was stupid enough to wait to see my primary care doc until the day after a breathless 3/4 mile ride on my Giant Roam 1 hybrid. Felt like I had pneumonia. Wasn't pneumonia. Now cycling to have fun, AND stay ahead of the Reaper.

Want to extend my rides a bit from my daily 10 to 20 miles.

Test rode a Specialized Roubaix ($4,200) with electronic shift, and a Diverge Comp ($3,700).

Glad to hear you are recovering okay. That was scary.

I considered the Roubaix also. Haven't ridden one yet but some of the reviews on the new Future Shock aren't real positive. They are just releasing V2 of that component.
Old 04-14-19, 09:18 PM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Glad to hear you are recovering okay. That was scary.

I considered the Roubaix also. Haven't ridden one yet but some of the reviews on the new Future Shock aren't real positive. They are just releasing V2 of that component.
Thanks!

Since it is that time of year, wonder if I can deduct this as a “medical device”

Happy 1040!

Old 04-15-19, 11:19 AM
tonymarch

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
If you can afford it, it's a no-brainer. Buy your wife a nice present too!!
Old 04-15-19, 11:22 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
OP, you needn't look to others for permission, affirmation, or disapproval. As long as your spouse or partner (if you have one) is okay with it, it's your money to spend.
Old 04-15-19, 11:25 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
In a situation when I can afford it, it does not harm anyone and I know, I want it - I can put Mr. Reasonable down, by just asking enough people around me that I know will be encouraging to go for it. The argument base will just be too strong for Mr. Reasonable ;-)
So congrats on posting here :-)
Old 04-15-19, 11:35 AM
roseweed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Barrettscv;20877887]You should realize some tangible performance benefits with the new bike, especially if the fit is perfect, which is critical.

You will also realize some tangible emotional benefits -- equally critical. I did when I upgraded, somewhat unnecessarily, at age 70. Never discount the emotional dimension of cycling -- there's enough practicality in the sport, don't burden its soulful parts with guilt. Especially after age 50 . . .
Old 04-15-19, 12:04 PM
jdsyachts

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3, Trek 7900, Sun EZ Tad 3, Canondale F400

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding a 2014 Trek Domane 4.3. It's a good bike, no real complaints. 105 drive train.
Prior to this, I had a Giant OCR2 for ten years.

Both bikes were the 'reasonable' choice, not super expensive, just....well....decent machines.

I'm retiring in June..yay! And I'm thinking...."Just once in my life, I'd like to do something outside the box. Forgo the 'reasonable'. Reward myself for 40 years in the work force."

I've had my eye on a Trek Domane SLR7 Disc, a significant upgrade to my current model. Electronics, disc brakes, lighter weight. Yes, it's stupid money compared to what I've done all these years. And yes, I can afford the financial hit. It won't change anything about our retirement spreadsheets. My wife said "Just don't tell me what it cost." Fair enough.

But this nags at me. Is it really worthwhile to do this for an improved frame, probably a pound of savings, some brake advantages and fancy shifting? I do ride several thousand miles a year so it's not like it will just sit in the garage. Yeah, I know it won't really make me faster.

Crap. I hate when "Mr. Reasonable" stomps on my left shoulder.
Test ride it first and if you like it more than the Domane go for it.
I'm a few years ahead of you and the only one who may feel some pain is my son who will not get the money spent on my latest bike. As my wife and I tell each other we've reached a point where we should be enjoying ourselves as long as we can afford it.
Old 04-15-19, 02:30 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Inside a year to retirement for me. We are accumulating the toys we will need while we are still working. I have lived a mostly frugal life with conservative spending habits, but I'm now to the point where I am able to splurge a little on myself.

Trek Domane was on my short list (SL6 model - Ultegra non-Di2). Ended up with a Roubaix due to spring sale discounts!

Treat yourself and enjoy the ride (and the retirement)!
Old 04-15-19, 03:19 PM
teejaywhy

BTW, I like the white one.

And what's with the love of the matte black finish starting to show up everywhere. Looks like a back-yard rattle-can primer job.
Old 04-15-19, 08:04 PM
nesdog

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
BTW, I like the white one.

And what's with the love of the matte black finish starting to show up everywhere. Looks like a back-yard rattle-can primer job.
We live in a bike rich area, with tons of riders. Everyone seems to be riding that black. (although my current Domane is light blue). They all look the same! So I'm definitely not choosing black!
As I ponder this purchase, I've gone back and forth on all three of the colors. Thought I liked the red, but it's a little busy when you see it in person, with all of the logos and text.
The white is nice when clean but seems to dull out with dust on board.
Old 04-16-19, 10:28 AM
teejaywhy

We live in a bike rich area, with tons of riders. Everyone seems to be riding that black. (although my current Domane is light blue). They all look the same! So I'm definitely not choosing black!
As I ponder this purchase, I've gone back and forth on all three of the colors. Thought I liked the red, but it's a little busy when you see it in person, with all of the logos and text.
The white is nice when clean but seems to dull out with dust on board.
My Roubaix is red. And wow, is it red. Not really a red guy, but the only other choice was black with blue accents which seemed kinda meh to me.
Problem with red is, it sorta limits your choices of "go with" colors for clothing, accessories, etc. If that is any concern at all.
The white will go with anything pretty much. Keep 'er clean! haha.
Old 04-16-19, 09:05 PM
nesdog

I think.....Friday.....I may head to the bike shop to have a discussion on the money....

After much soul searching I have discarded the red. Down to white and blue and I'm really probably going blue. My current 4.3 is a lighter shade of that and the helmet and gloves will already match!
Old 04-17-19, 09:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Go for it. Most older people say they regret more the things they DIDNT do rather than the things they did.
Old 04-17-19, 11:04 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I think.....Friday.....I may head to the bike shop to have a discussion on the money....

After much soul searching I have discarded the red. Down to white and blue and I'm really probably going blue. My current 4.3 is a lighter shade of that and the helmet and gloves will already match!
But red bikes are faster!
Old 04-17-19, 11:38 AM
nesdog

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
But red bikes are faster!
And get pulled over more often, at least in California!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.