Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New bike day: Black Mountain Cycles MCD

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

New bike day: Black Mountain Cycles MCD

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-18, 12:35 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Just to help we with a visual reference as I wait for my frame to be delivered, what is your full inseam length (PBH, not pants leg) and what length of exposed seat post do you have?
Old 07-29-18, 01:15 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
PBH is 33.5. exposed is 6 3/4 ish. Not a lot exposed, really.

I have 165 cranks, so take that into consideration.
Old 07-29-18, 03:31 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Thanks. So I'd expect just a bit under 8" exposed post.
Old 10-02-18, 10:13 PM
stanion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What do you think about the weight of the MCD? I'm guessing around 24 pounds (which is a fine weight for me, if I'm correct).
Old 10-05-18, 11:08 AM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
The are eggbeater Double Shots, they have clips on one side, flat pedals on the other.
Great looking bike, and I'm seriously considering a frame for a spring ride. I can't make it out *perfectly*, but it seems the front dérailleur cable and the rear brake cable both go down the downtube. Is this correct? Only the rear brake cable goes along the top tube? So now you can use a bottom pull front dérailleur, yes?

I like this. This could really be the bike I've been searching out for the way I ride and my geometry preferences. Let us know how the bike handles and feels as you get to ride it more! Congrats!!
Old 10-05-18, 01:08 PM
rgconner

Originally Posted by JWK
Great looking bike, and I'm seriously considering a frame for a spring ride. I can't make it out *perfectly*, but it seems the front dérailleur cable and the rear brake cable both go down the downtube. Is this correct? Only the rear brake cable goes along the top tube? So now you can use a bottom pull front dérailleur, yes?

I like this. This could really be the bike I've been searching out for the way I ride and my geometry preferences. Let us know how the bike handles and feels as you get to ride it more! Congrats!!
Rear cable goes along the bottom, the top tube is the rear derailleur, and front derailleur goes along top tube, so bottom pull is a go.

It handles really well. Gets a little squirrelly in the back over 35 mph, but that does not happen very often, just long descents and may be the tires.* Very stable at normal speeds, can eat on the bike no problem, probable could add/remove a light jacket too.

Tires make a huge difference on road feel and handling. With 28's on, it handles like a road bike, but also has very little cush... like a road bike.

Have done a metric on it a few months ago and was not sore at all.

Doing a full century tomorrow... that will be the acid test.
Old 10-09-18, 06:57 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Here's my Olive Oil MCD.

013 by Benny Watson, on Flickr
Old 10-15-18, 09:29 AM
rgconner

Century Update:
I bailed at 62 miles rest stop because of 25 mph gusts and a route that took us down a busy road with no shoulder and a nasty metal guardrail. Honestly, they should have reversed the course and had us do that section FIRST, when it was quiet for both crosswinds and cars.

But I felt pretty good, and no contact point pain, numbness or back issues. As I sat around waiting for my wife to come get me, I heard a lot of the riders complaining about sore this and numb that. So definitely a comfy bike!

Averaged 14.2 miles per hour, which considering the winds was doing pretty good.
Old 04-21-19, 11:53 AM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Mine is finally done. Got the frame couple of weeks ago, remainder of the parts came last week, only fenders left to install (they are in the mail, Honjo 62mm in black from SimWorks). Did not decide on the rack/bags yet. Love the bike, build below was just under 23lbs with tubes, runs tubeless now. 53cm, I call it Mr PeptoBismol (great match to my pink All-City Mr Pink). Very comfortable, fast to accelerate, keeps the speed without much effort, climbing is good sitting or out of saddle, handling is predictable and not slow, just right. I run 40psi at the back and 35 in the front.
46/34 Ultegra 6800 cranks, Ultegra CX70 FD, Ultegra RX 8000 RD, SRAM 11-36 cassette, 105 5800 brifters.

Old 04-21-19, 12:33 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Nice!
Old 04-21-19, 12:55 PM
mongol777

Originally Posted by trailangel
Nice!
Thank you!
Old 04-21-19, 07:33 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by mongol777
Mine is finally done. Got the frame couple of weeks ago, remainder of the parts came last week, only fenders left to install (they are in the mail, Honjo 62mm in black from SimWorks). Did not decide on the rack/bags yet. Love the bike, build below was just under 23lbs with tubes, runs tubeless now. 53cm, I call it Mr PeptoBismol (great match to my pink All-City Mr Pink). Very comfortable, fast to accelerate, keeps the speed without much effort, climbing is good sitting or out of saddle, handling is predictable and not slow, just right. I run 40psi at the back and 35 in the front.
46/34 Ultegra 6800 cranks, Ultegra CX70 FD, Ultegra RX 8000 RD, SRAM 11-36 cassette, 105 5800 brifters.
How are you managing to put 62mm fenders on your bike? I thought 50 was the max for the mcd.
Old 04-21-19, 07:42 PM
mongol777

Originally Posted by JWK
How are you managing to put 62mm fenders on your bike? I thought 50 was the max for the mcd.
Will figure out when they arrive 😀 I did measure and they should fit plus I saw BMC Road+ with the same fenders. Little bending may be required, especially around FD and chainstay yok but should be OK.
Inside distance between fork legs and between seatstays is around 70mm
Old 04-22-19, 07:11 PM
JWK

Will figure out when they arrive 😀 I did measure and they should fit plus I saw BMC Road+ with the same fenders. Little bending may be required, especially around FD and chainstay yok but should be OK.
Inside distance between fork legs and between seatstays is around 70mm
Holy moly. That changes everything for me. One of the biggest reasons I was looking for other options was the post on the BMC site stating that "50mm fenders fit just fine". I assumed the MCD would be the same, and I assumed that meant that 50mm was the max or near the max. I want tires 40mm - 44mm and I want fenders that would give good coverage. That would be a minimum of 55mm for fenders and preferably 60mm.

Please let me know how the fenders fit, what finagling you had to do, etc. What tires do you have on there now? Great build! Congrats.
Old 04-23-19, 09:18 AM
mongol777

Originally Posted by JWK
Holy moly. That changes everything for me. One of the biggest reasons I was looking for other options was the post on the BMC site stating that "50mm fenders fit just fine". I assumed the MCD would be the same, and I assumed that meant that 50mm was the max or near the max. I want tires 40mm - 44mm and I want fenders that would give good coverage. That would be a minimum of 55mm for fenders and preferably 60mm.

Please let me know how the fenders fit, what finagling you had to do, etc. What tires do you have on there now? Great build! Congrats.
Sure, I will post update when they are installed. Right now I have Panaracers GK SK, they measure to actual ~42 and change on 19mm internal width rims. Plan is to get ~45-40mm tire eventually - I'll have to see how much space I will have under fenders.
Mike's guidance on fenders is likely based on tested and safe and with no mods to the fenders which is the right thing to do for manufacturer. Your FD type will also play a role - I really like CX70, works just fine with 11s and does not get in the way so I expect may be little pinch on the fender.
Old 04-23-19, 09:22 AM
mongol777

Here is Road+ build with 62mm Honjos - https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=234134 (have to register to see the pics)
Attaching screenshot
Likes For mongol777:
Old 04-23-19, 12:47 PM
JWK

Sure, I will post update when they are installed. Right now I have Panaracers GK SK, they measure to actual ~42 and change on 19mm internal width rims. Plan is to get ~45-40mm tire eventually - I'll have to see how much space I will have under fenders.
Mike's guidance on fenders is likely based on tested and safe and with no mods to the fenders which is the right thing to do for manufacturer. Your FD type will also play a role - I really like CX70, works just fine with 11s and does not get in the way so I expect may be little pinch on the fender.
Oh, right.....I see now. I never thought about the front dérailleur. That is probably a problem if I use the Sugino triple I was considering. That triple with a 10 speed 12-30 is perfect for me for everyday, go anywhere riding (lots of hills). Back to the drawing board...
Old 04-23-19, 02:56 PM
gus6464

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
So looking at the MCD and the new Road+ frames I can't help but notice the similarities between the frames and the Breadwinner G-Road. Now I know the G-Roads are custom geometry bikes with a bit fancier steel (Columbus Spirit) but the weights are not that vastly different. The welds on the Black Mountain frames look just as good with the fork being of same design with same mounts for stuff. We talking a $2400 premium for what exactly other than custom geometry?
Old 04-23-19, 03:41 PM
mongol777

Originally Posted by JWK
Oh, right.....I see now. I never thought about the front dérailleur. That is probably a problem if I use the Sugino triple I was considering. That triple with a 10 speed 12-30 is perfect for me for everyday, go anywhere riding (lots of hills). Back to the drawing board...
I think you will be OK with triple. I'll make sure to post detailed pic once fenders are on
Old 04-23-19, 06:03 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I live in SoCal but was just up north last weekend and visited BMC. I REALLY want an MCD now!

Last edited by pbass; 04-23-19 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 08:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
So looking at the MCD and the new Road+ frames I can't help but notice the similarities between the frames and the Breadwinner G-Road. Now I know the G-Roads are custom geometry bikes with a bit fancier steel (Columbus Spirit) but the weights are not that vastly different. The welds on the Black Mountain frames look just as good with the fork being of same design with same mounts for stuff. We talking a $2400 premium for what exactly other than custom geometry?
MUSA.
One is made in Portland and the other is made in Taiwan.

The forks look similar, but breadwinner's fork is made by a local builder in Portland, has the salsa 3 bolt mounts, and I'm guessing is 853 steel.

With breadwinner you get custom geometry, presumably lighter tubing, nicer looking dropouts, more paint options, design around 650 wheels, and more fork mounts.
Black Mountain gives you tubing that is still quality(heat treated 8/5/8) and 4 bottle mounts for a lot less money.

Not disagreeing with what I assume is your overall point- that the MCD is a really good value compared to the Groad, but there are differences that some may find important enough to want a Groad.

The welds on my canti black mountain are excellent looking, agree there too.
...but I don't love the limited MCD colors...and it's just olive oil in my size. That alone could push someone away and towards another frame.
Old 04-23-19, 09:29 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
MUSA.
One is made in Portland and the other is made in Taiwan.

The forks look similar, but breadwinner's fork is made by a local builder in Portland, has the salsa 3 bolt mounts, and I'm guessing is 853 steel.

With breadwinner you get custom geometry, presumably lighter tubing, nicer looking dropouts, more paint options, design around 650 wheels, and more fork mounts.
Black Mountain gives you tubing that is still quality(heat treated 8/5/8) and 4 bottle mounts for a lot less money.

Not disagreeing with what I assume is your overall point- that the MCD is a really good value compared to the Groad, but there are differences that some may find important enough to want a Groad.

The welds on my canti black mountain are excellent looking, agree there too.
...but I don't love the limited MCD colors...and it's just olive oil in my size. That alone could push someone away and towards another frame.
Breadwinner is Columbus spirit which is not in the same league as 853. It's mid tier at best.
Old 04-23-19, 10:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
Breadwinner is Columbus spirit which is not in the same league as 853. It's mid tier at best.
Everything I've ever seen is that Spirit is their 'highest' level of non stainless. It comes in .75/.45/.75 and .6/.4/.6 buttings...im really not sure when that would be called 'mid-tier'.
It has the same tensile strength range as 853 and S3.

Admittedly I haven't ridden Spirit tubing and almost for sure never will. Don't need anything that thin and its probably not best for any frame I would ever use. Zona range(1 step under Spirit) is where I exist. Point is- I haven't built a bike with Spirit or even ridden one so all I know is what ive read. If reality is different and its actually 'mid-level' then thats a surprise, but ok then. Guess that kinda sucks though since my Zona road bike will then be 'low level'.
Oh well.

https://www.henryjames.com/columbus-p...son-chart.html
https://www.henryjames.com/bike-tech-...loy-specs.html
https://www.strongframes.com/tubing-information/

Last edited by mstateglfr; 04-23-19 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-23-19, 11:01 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Everything I've ever seen is that Spirit is their 'highest' level of non stainless. It comes in .75/.45/.75 and .6/.4/.6 buttings...im really not sure when that would be called 'mid-tier'.
It has the same tensile strength range as 853 and S3.

Admittedly I haven't ridden Spirit tubing and almost for sure never will. Don't need anything that thin and its probably not best for any frame I would ever use. Zona range(1 step under Spirit) is where I exist. Point is- I haven't built a bike with Spirit or even ridden one so all I know is what ive read. If reality is different and its actually 'mid-level' then thats a surprise, but ok then. Guess that kinda sucks though since my Zona road bike will then be 'low level'.
Oh well.

https://www.henryjames.com/columbus-p...son-chart.html
https://www.henryjames.com/bike-tech-...loy-specs.html
https://www.strongframes.com/tubing-information/
Strange because other charts I've seen put spirit as having a little lower tensile strength than 753.

And this is how I thought Reynolds is categorized.

853 High-end
753 mid
531/631 low
Old 04-24-19, 08:39 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Originally Posted by JWK

I would not hesitate to call or email Mike Varley with any questions like this. He has very helpful with any questions I've had with both of the frames I got from him, both before and after the sale. For example, when I asked him about stem and spacers needed to get the fit dimensions I wanted for my Monster Cross frame in 2012, he mocked one up on his work stand and sent me pictures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.