Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

An e-bike is going to happen eventually

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

An e-bike is going to happen eventually

Old 03-31-19, 06:42 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
If I ever get an e-bike, it will be the type with the motor hidden inside the bottom bracket. I wouldn't want to advertise the fact that I'm riding an e-bike.
Some of the motors are pretty small as it is. I am using a TSDZ2 and it is barely noticeable. Unless I tell someone, people generally don't notice it. What stands out is the batteries. I currently have them in a trunk bag, I am waiting for a triangle bag, that I have on order, to arrive.

It is a torque sensing motor, that means that I still need to pedal. I am still getting my heart rate up. However, the difference is that I am using it, instead of driving, to work and on errands. When leaving in the morning straight into a 23+ mph headwind, I definitely appreciate the assist.
Old 03-31-19, 08:09 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
Some of the motors are pretty small as it is. I am using a TSDZ2 and it is barely noticeable. Unless I tell someone, people generally don't notice it. What stands out is the batteries. I currently have them in a trunk bag, I am waiting for a triangle bag, that I have on order, to arrive.

It is a torque sensing motor, that means that I still need to pedal. I am still getting my heart rate up. However, the difference is that I am using it, instead of driving, to work and on errands. When leaving in the morning straight into a 23+ mph headwind, I definitely appreciate the assist.
The features of the TSDZ2 are impressive. Does it install on any ISO/English or (British Standard) 1.37 in x 24 TPI Bottom Bracket Shell?

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-31-19 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-31-19, 09:07 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The features of the TSDZ2 are impressive. Does it install on any ISO/English or (British Standard) 1.37 in x 24 TPI Bottom Bracket Shell? Could it be installed on a carbon fiber frame?
I wouldn't put it on a CF frame, it has nothing to do with whether it will work. It seems that the point of a CF frame is to have a good push-bike, not a good e-bike. I got a cheap Bikes Direct bike for a doner. The main thing I was looking for in the BD bike I went with was hydraulic brakes. Yes, I would have liked Full-Suspension; but I saw none that fit my needs ( a good place for the battery).

Other than the motor I have added a set of metal fenders, the light kit that came with the motor, and my L&M 800 headlight. I have also added a set of Wald folding baskets and a rear rack (after all, once the motor is added, weight is less of an issue).

The remaining changes I will make will be to install the triangle bag in order to centralize the battery weight, I have ordered a set of street "E" rated tyres to replace the knobbies that the BD bike came with, and a nuvinci transmission.

Obviously, this is more of an errand and commuting bike than a "fun" bike. I really would not recommend CF, keep that for your weekend "fun" bike.

Before this one, I had an REI Gotham with a front geared hubmotor. It also had a belt drive (liked that a lot) and a NuVinci transmission (also great on an e-bike). I had also added hydraulic brakes. I ended up long term loaning it to my sister.
Old 03-31-19, 12:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Yeah, I really do see the pluses of ebikes. I've rented a few of them on Citi Bike in NYC. They are fun. I pedal just as hard, I just go faster, so I don't lose the exercise.

I might convince my wife to get one sooner, as she's not very strong and doesn't have much stamina. We could go farther if I'm on a pedal bike and she's on an ebike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-31-19, 09:09 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I have a gravel bike (Checkpoint) and an ebike. My ebike is a fat tire bike with a cadence sensor (Rad Rover). Although I enjoy the Rad Rover, I wished I had purchased more of a road bike model with a torque sensor instead of the cadence sensor. My wife rides a Specialized Como 3.0 with a torque sensor and it is a great all around bike for road and gravel trails.
Old 03-31-19, 10:26 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CodyDog
I have a gravel bike (Checkpoint) and an ebike. My ebike is a fat tire bike with a cadence sensor (Rad Rover). Although I enjoy the Rad Rover, I wished I had purchased more of a road bike model with a torque sensor instead of the cadence sensor. My wife rides a Specialized Como 3.0 with a torque sensor and it is a great all around bike for road and gravel trails.
Yep. A Torque sensor is the way to go when getting an E-Bike to keep the feel of riding a "real" pedal bicycle... Which you actually are/would be riding as pedaling is a must to get anywhere...
Old 04-01-19, 08:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
Sorry I am late. Dig in.

Old 04-01-19, 09:59 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I don't see it. If I should become so feeble that I can't pedal, I won't be able to ride safely. My view is that it's not necessary to be able to climb 10% grades for the rest of one's life. For sure, e-bikes are not welcome on local group rides. Not forbidden, just no one wants to be near them. Meanwhile I do the same rides I've always done, just in smaller gears. There's one pass I used to climb in 30 X 23. Now I'm down to 26 X 27. I'm thinking of getting a 30T cassette! OMG. Maybe that's not necessary yet. The summer's training rides will tell the tale. I redid my metric for weekly exertion, using climbing gain instead of hours this year, more climbing IOW. I'll see how that works out. Denial is not just a river in Egypt, it's a lifestyle.
That's pretty much me too. I plan to keep riding a bicycle as long as I can, getting lower gears or foregoing the really nasty climbs until that is no longer possible. With the right gearing, I can climb just about everything there is to climb ... just not as fast as I might like to. That has always been the case, and should be the case for a long time to come. The only thing that should change is that I'll need lower and lower gears as the years go on and younger people will pull away from me and I'll be riding with a different group ... nothing new.

I may change my tune if my knees or my heart blows up, but that's is something I'll consider when that day comes, and that day is not today.

To mix my quotes to my own dubious purposes:

I know not what course others may take, but as for me, do not go gentle into that good night, rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Old 04-01-19, 10:01 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-01-19 at 12:24 PM.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 04-01-19, 10:33 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
That's pretty much me too. I plan to keep riding a bicycle as long as I can, getting lower gears or foregoing the really nasty climbs until that is no longer possible. With the right gearing, I can climb just about everything there is to climb ... just not as fast as I might like to. That has always been the case, and should be the case for a long time to come. The only thing that should change is that I'll need lower and lower gears as the years go on and younger people will pull away from me and I'll be riding with a different group ... nothing new.

I may change my tune if my knees or my heart blows up, but that's is something I'll consider when that day comes, and that day is not today.

To mix my quotes to my own dubious purposes:

I know not what course others may take, but as for me, do not go gentle into that good night, rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I am with you 100%.

At 63 I can still climb and ride using my very own power.

But with diabetes and seven coronary stents in place I’ve had to make some changes in order to keep pedaling on.

Like you I will keep pedaling under my own power for as long and as hard as I can.

And when the day eventually arrives that I can’t ride my bikes, I will get a Vespa. Celeste green of course.
Old 04-01-19, 10:48 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
https://youtu.be/F8tV8cWeY3Y
Tellingly, the directed advertisement for that video was a Medicare supplemental plan. For a second, I thought it was about getting an ebike when you sign up. lol

I don't doubt riding ebikes is fun. Driving my WRX is fun too. But I plan to stick to a bicycle as long as I can. Maybe it's the zen. I like paddling my own surfboard too.

Old 04-01-19, 11:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
I'd have change what I currently love most about cycling to be able to stomach an eBike. That something is knowing that I did what I did totally under my own power. I had started to write a detailed description of my evolution, but instead I will simply say that if you have spent nearly four months on the road travelling across the country and then some self-contained from where you started to your front door you might feel the same way I do. Never walked an inch, except over things like heavily graveled campground driveways. Never got a ride. Commuting/errand riding aside, most day rides are to prepare for travel by bike. With every trip I find it harder and harder to stomach the same old same old so many people around here seem to be content with.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-08-19, 03:47 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Are there people who have given up cycling or are considering giving it up because they no longer have the strength/fitness for the cycling routes that they like?

If e-bikes are a way of allowing these people to continue cycling they can only be a good thing.

Cycling should be something to enjoy any way you can.

I'm 72 and have no intention of getting an e-bike............yet. But if it means the difference between riding and not riding then I will definitely get one, and not worry about the disdainful looks from superior cyclists as I keep up with them up the steepest hills, even if they overtake me down the other side.
Old 04-08-19, 10:29 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
One day, but not yet. My friends are making the switch. I think I still have some miles to go before I need assistance. I won't fight it when it happens though.
Old 04-09-19, 12:25 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
My wife is getting to the point where she might consider one, due to hip issues. Is conversion of a conventional bike a reasonable thing? (She has a Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp). Is conversion easily reversible for times when she might not want the e-stuff?
Old 04-09-19, 07:16 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by wgscott
My wife is getting to the point where she might consider one, due to hip issues. Is conversion of a conventional bike a reasonable thing? (She has a Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp). Is conversion easily reversible for times when she might not want the e-stuff?
My understanding is that an e-bike conversion is a potential do-it-yourself project if you have some experience with electrical projects. I'm sure it's a significant undertaking.
Old 04-18-19, 05:24 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
One of the best things we've done lately was when my wife got an e-bike this year. She is strictly a casual, recreational rider, but it was difficult for us to ride together. She always had concerns about hills, riding into the wind, etc., and I often had trouble staying slowed down to ride with her. Now, with the e-bike, we're really on even ground: she can ride twice as far as she previously did, has fewer concerns about riding conditions (rain is still out!), and it's me that sometimes has to ask her to slow it down a bit. In fact, I might start riding my road bike when we go out together instead of using the old hybrid. It's nice to see her having so much fun on it while still getting a decent workout when she dials down the boost.

FWIW, her bike is a Trek Verve+ Low-step, which is a Class 1 ebike (pedal assist only, boosted speed limited to 20mph) and is legal by default on all multi-use trails and pathways in Michigan.
Old 04-18-19, 05:54 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I have considered an ebike for my wife for all of the reasons above. I've also considered a tandem, of course. Makes me wonder if ebikes for couples will eventually have the same rep as tandems!

I live at the top of a 500' climb, so, yeah, when my knees and/or lungs cry uncle, I may be there.

Great video, barrettscv. I love those guys.
Old 04-24-19, 06:05 AM
sofaman

Bikes: Gazelle Champion Mondial 64cm; Basso Ascot 62cm; 2018 Giant TCR KOM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Great discussion. In Holland, arguably the cycling capital of the world. Ebikes are approximately 30% of new bike sales. That’s a very quick acceptance to a practical problem. It’s very common to see 70+ y.o. riders though.

In NYC I’ve tried the pedal assist Citibikes. Fantastic. I commute daily, so this is a great solution to arriving sweaty to the office in the summer heat.

I’ve just turned 60, and rewarded myself with a Giant TCR, but eventually an ebike is in my future. Why would you give up cycling on a self-defeating “principal”?
Old 04-24-19, 06:07 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
If I'm not pedalling would rather just drive my car. Or borrow a motorcycle. YMMV.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 04-24-19, 09:32 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Are there people who have given up cycling or are considering giving it up because they no longer have the strength/fitness for the cycling routes that they like?

I have to ask what is important, the cycling...or the route?

I did a two-day tour over the weekend. I admit I didn't pedal all the way. I - gasp! - walked up two hills I would have sprinted up 40 years ago.

I know there are some here who would rather eschew a goal of completing the tour under their own power and choose instead a goal of remaining upon the machine - an e-bike - for the entire ride. Like Brother Dave said, everybody's got their own kick going.

For sure, e-bikes are not welcome on local group rides. Not forbidden, just no one wants to be near them.
I was watching a video of a corporate retreat type bike tour. The leader/organizer/CEO, on a pedal bike like most of the participants, said, "It has been hard and the hardness creates a tremendous bond amongst the team.” One of the other participants said, “I’m riding the e-bike and it’s super cake, like a walk in the park."

E-bikes are cool technology, I'm fascinated by them and if anybody wants one or is riding one that's just dandy. That said, it's a different experience. I think if I arrived at the start of an organized tour and many of the other participants (wonderful human beings, all) were on e-bikes, I'd turn around and leave.

Last edited by tcs; 04-24-19 at 12:00 PM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 04-26-19, 09:28 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I'm with @DougG on this. My wife has an pedal-assist road bike. It's allowed us to ride together, and where previously her ride "experience" was a struggle from beginning to end, now she is enjoying the ride while observing the beauty of the surroundings and engaging in conversation. Much like Doug's experience, I now ask her to wait for me at the top of the hill. I get to pedal as hard as I like and enjoy my own "experience".
Old 04-26-19, 09:51 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by tcs

I know there are some here who would rather eschew a goal of completing the tour under their own power and choose instead a goal of remaining upon the machine - an e-bike - for the entire ride. Like Brother Dave said, everybody's got their own kick going.
I think that is it.

I've had reason to think about this whole ebike thing ... the passionate emotions it seems to evoke among cyclists pro and con. Why?

I've come to believe that the reasons are rooted in the question "what does cycling mean to you."

Is it just for fun? Is it about being outside? Is it about transportation? Is it about getting/staying in shape? Is it about the camaraderie? Being green by getting around on your own power? Burning stress? Is it about facing and overcoming challenges? Is it about achieving physical goals (distance or climbing) that you never thought you could achieve?

And of course, for some there is the question ... can I ride a road/mountain bike the distances I would like to ride anymore. What are my physical limitations?

Ebikes are well suited to some of those purposes, and not much for others. I think our own personal balance of those reasons for cycling is likely to predict whether we are hearing the siren call of ebikes or not. Maybe the smartest among us are those that have an ebike for the purposes it makes sense to them (e.g. commuting) and a bike for the other purposes (physical goals).

Likes For Biker395:
Old 04-27-19, 05:44 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
The simple answer is YES. Take a look at Cytronex.com. We have one on our tandem. Fitting is very easy and the front wheel and battery can be quickly removed when you want to revert to riding without assist.
Old 04-27-19, 06:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
E-bikes are just another way to cycle, especially for those that need the assist for various reasons. The only people against them seem to be the fully kitted "real cyclist" that hate the fact that someone with an E-bike can keep up with them.

Just let everyone cycle in a way that fits their needs, and quit whining about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.