Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will you ever go disc?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Will you ever go disc?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 05:52 PM
sancocho
That's bone.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No.
Likes For sancocho:
Old 05-01-19, 07:36 PM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Already have, although my discs and rims are one and the same
Old 05-01-19, 08:20 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I bought a new carbon fiber road bike in March which came with disc brakes. I love the bike and I'm happy with the performance of the disc brakes.
Old 05-02-19, 07:18 AM
OUGrad05

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
Seeing as most makers now make road bikes with discs I wonder if most people will transition to discs or simply continue to run rim brakes until the end of time.

Personally I've been on discs since 2008. And I kinda like them. I only have one bike with rim brakes and I pretty much only use it when its dry and sunny outside so I have no problems with them. They work just as good as discs in those conditions.
I'm sure it's been said in 10 pages of replies by someone else. I went disc and now the question in my mind is why would you NOT run discs? SO much better in the wet and on descents. I realize there's some top tier competitive rules that prevent it, that's one thing, but for most of us? Man I love them.
Old 05-02-19, 09:35 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
The OP should have included a poll with this thread.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-02-19, 09:48 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
I'm sure it's been said in 10 pages of replies by someone else. I went disc and now the question in my mind is why would you NOT run discs? SO much better in the wet and on descents. I realize there's some top tier competitive rules that prevent it, that's one thing, but for most of us? Man I love them.
It has been asked, and here's the reply.

Originally Posted by caloso
Heavier, less aero, requires a heavier fork, more expensive, and uglier. But other than that, sure great.

​​​​​​​
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-03-19, 12:11 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
One of my two cars is manual. That's the Canadian quota covered.
And, going forward, it will all be automatics.
My wife and I have the last two.

We refer the manual transmissions as millenial anti-theft devices.

As for disc brakes, I bought my commuter (recumbent) when I was living in Seattle, and I am very glad I went with (cable) Avid BB7s. They work better in the rain than any rim brakes.

When I get my velo in a few weeks, it will have drum brakes on the front.
Old 05-03-19, 12:27 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
When I get my velo in a few weeks, it will have drum brakes on the front.
For a commuter, where weight isn't really that important, I'd go drums over disks every time. Drum brakes work well enough in all weather and require a tiny fraction of the maintenance of disks.
Old 05-03-19, 01:57 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Drum brakes work well enough in all weather and require a tiny fraction of the maintenance of disks.
What kind of maintenance have your disc set-ups needed? A tiny fraction of my disc maintenance is, well, so tiny that it might as well be zero, which just isn't feasible in the real world.
Old 05-03-19, 02:44 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by WhyFi
What kind of maintenance have your disc set-ups needed? A tiny fraction of my disc maintenance is, well, so tiny that it might as well be zero, which just isn't feasible in the real world.
We have had very different experiences. I have BB7's on the bike I have used for randonneuring for that last 7 seasons so it has a lot of miles on it in all kinds of weather. The front brake always seems to be getting out of alignment and rubs, so I have to loosen all the bolts and re-align it to stop it from rubbing. I frequently have to fiddle around with the clicker adjustments to balance rubbing and freeplay at the lever which I can never seem to get just right, always either too much freeplay or too much rub. The pads get contaminated or whatever and start squealing, which drives me nuts so I have spent a bunch of time and effort trying to figure out how to get that to stop stop to no avail. Eventually, I give up and replace the pads so they'll stop squealing for a while, which works for a few hundred miles or so depending on the conditions. I've been riding different bikes on brevets this year primarily because I'm so sick of those BB7's.
Old 05-03-19, 02:54 PM
WhyFi

We have had very different experiences. I have BB7's on the bike I have used for randonneuring for that last 7 seasons so it has a lot of miles on it in all kinds of weather. The front brake always seems to be getting out of alignment and rubs, so I have to loosen all the bolts and re-align it to stop it from rubbing. I frequently have to fiddle around with the clicker adjustments to balance rubbing and freeplay at the lever which I can never seem to get just right, always either too much freeplay or too much rub. The pads get contaminated or whatever and start squealing, which drives me nuts so I have spent a bunch of time and effort trying to figure out how to get that to stop stop to no avail. Eventually, I give up and replace the pads so they'll stop squealing for a while, which works for a few hundred miles or so depending on the conditions. I've been riding different bikes on brevets this year primarily because I'm so sick of those BB7's.
Ah. Yup, I've had none of that.
Old 05-03-19, 05:35 PM
beermode

Bikes: 2011 Spec Allez w/ new stuff, 2019 Stumpjumper ST Alloy

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Disc brakes are, to me, an additional tool for cyclists. They are beneficial in situations.

I also think that like a lot of technology, disc brakes have been added to things outside of the beneficial situation because they are a way to differentiate and justify sales thru 'innovation'.
Its totally understandable- this happens in industries all the time. Marketing and advertising exist to drive interest in products we didnt know we needed(and often times dont need, but just want).

I have hydraulic brakes on my MTB. I ride that thing probably a dozen times a year and always in dry conditions...its incredibly unnecessary to have hydraulic disc brakes based on how I ride, but its also my 1st new bike in 25 years, so it came with disc since thats what is on a bike with an air fork, 1x11 drivetrain, etc. Discs dont help me around here...at all. Even the most technical singletrack in the region can be ridden perfectly fine with V brakes since its only ridden in dry enough conditions to not ruin the trail.

I will build a gravel frame this fall to replace my current gravel bike and itll have disc brakes. Right now i plan on QR discs because I dont think I need a massively stiff 44mm head tube to handle a TA tapered fork. I want disc brakes because I am curious if its any 'better' than my canti brakes that have kept me safe all these years. I doubt itll be better, but I still want to see because I have an itch to build a frame.

I just built a road frame last year and it has calipers since I dont choose to ride in rain storms and dont have descents that make caliper brakes feel dangerous. All the rest of my road frames are from 1990 or earlier so no discs there. Perhaps I will move to disc brakes on my road bikes, but i cant imagine itll be soon.
With no interest or need to buy a new bike from a shop, change will come slowly.
Both your replies are incredibly specific and anecdotal. I haven't even ridden the MTB in the rain, and I know V brakes won't cut it after the first few minutes. I'm not even a downhiller either. Modulation is super easy on disc, its not just the speed and angle of descent, it's the terrain.
Also it doesn't take rain to make discs better, morning dew will make the first few moments of a decent hairy enough to warrant discs. Good brakes are there for a reason, you may not see the value in not having to wait around for your rims to dry on the first few rotations, but let that sink in as you repeat that statement a few times.
Old 05-03-19, 05:35 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
For a commuter, where weight isn't really that important, I'd go drums over disks every time. Drum brakes work well enough in all weather and require a tiny fraction of the maintenance of disks.
You forgot to include the joking emoji. But I figured out you couldn't be serious nonetheless.
Old 05-03-19, 05:44 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
I still have friction shifting on my TT bike, and no disc brakes on any of my road bikes. But I have disc. brakes on all my trails bikes.
Old 05-03-19, 11:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by beermode
Both your replies are incredibly specific and anecdotal. I haven't even ridden the MTB in the rain, and I know V brakes won't cut it after the first few minutes. I'm not even a downhiller either. Modulation is super easy on disc, its not just the speed and angle of descent, it's the terrain.
Also it doesn't take rain to make discs better, morning dew will make the first few moments of a decent hairy enough to warrant discs. Good brakes are there for a reason, you may not see the value in not having to wait around for your rims to dry on the first few rotations, but let that sink in as you repeat that statement a few times.
Of course my reply was specific and anecdotal- I even said as much in the first sentence where I acknowledge disc brakes are beneficial in certain situations. For the situations I have been in, I haven't wished for disc brakes.
That is clearly me saying they are situationally beneficial and the response is obviously anecdotal since, you know, it's about only my experience and need.

I probably dont ride fast or aggressive enough for there to be an issue if a couple wheel rotations happen before the good braking starts.
Let's go with that.
Old 05-04-19, 02:49 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by KraneXL
You forgot to include the joking emoji. But I figured out you couldn't be serious nonetheless.
In actual fact, my commuter has a coaster brake and my townie has drum brakes.
Old 05-04-19, 08:15 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I probably dont ride fast or aggressive enough for there to be an issue if a couple wheel rotations happen before the good braking starts.
Let's go with that.
I feel I ride fast enough and aggressive enough for there to be an issue, but I still haven't ever have one. Tire contact, though, I've had lots of issues with that in the wet (and dry).
Old 05-04-19, 05:02 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I feel I ride fast enough and aggressive enough for there to be an issue, but I still haven't ever have one. Tire contact, though, I've had lots of issues with that in the wet (and dry).
This is really the issue. Tire adhesion will always be the limiting factor when it comes to braking. In terms of significance, the ability of the tire to grip the given riding surface, at the tire patch, far outweighs clamping power and (oh brother) modulation.
Old 05-06-19, 10:58 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
BB7's can perform fairly well....for a mechanical disc (low bar). I have found that I have to pair them with Yokozuna cable housing to generate enough power with them to get adequate performance.

This said - mechanical are not hydraulic. Hydraulic will compensate while mechanical won't. Whole different ballgame. That said - poor compensation in hydraulic setups leads to all sorts of centering and rotor rub issues. A non-starter for a true roadie.

Old 05-06-19, 11:30 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
A non-starter for a true roadie.
What if they're a Scotsman?
Old 05-06-19, 11:39 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
This is really the issue. Tire adhesion will always be the limiting factor when it comes to braking. In terms of significance, the ability of the tire to grip the given riding surface, at the tire patch, far outweighs clamping power and (oh brother) modulation.
Everybody who's used disc brakes and instantly realized they were better - look at all the "I won't go back" reported in here - is just hallucinating? No, that's not it. In theory is worth a lot less than in practice.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-06-19, 12:09 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
i hear it's a b*tch to change flats with disc brakes. true?
Disc brakes don't make it any harder, but It can take longer with through-axles, particularly the rear wheel. And since almost all disc brake frames now come with through-axles it may be something worth noting.

It's not a show stopper, but I find it is more work getting the rear wheel back on as compared to a bike with QR skewers. It's just a bit finicky getting everything lined up then threading the skewer through the axle.

As I said, not show stopper, but certainly a bit more work than a bike with QR skewers.
Old 05-06-19, 02:31 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Everybody who's used disc brakes and instantly realized they were better - look at all the "I won't go back" reported in here - is just hallucinating? No, that's not it. In theory is worth a lot less than in practice.
Everybody, meaning those within earshot of you or those un-named who post on the internet? Who's hallucinating here? When it comes to science and reasoning vs opinions of invisible people, I'll take science every time. Care to address my points? I didn't think so.
Old 05-06-19, 05:22 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
I would have said no until I have moved to a region with abundance of 20% descents
Old 05-06-19, 05:29 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by on the path
When it comes to science and reasoning vs opinions of invisible people, I'll take science every time.
Science. Lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.