Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Are Fixies Legal?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Are Fixies Legal?

Old 05-02-19, 09:36 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2605 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
if i ever manage to catch a ticket for riding brakeless i'll blow it up and hang it in my garage.
What if you manage to get in an accident with a car and are deemed at fault b/c you didn't have a brake???? @TimothyH's argument above is compelling IMO. **** happens and I've been re-compensated by drivers' insurance twice. I'd be several grand in the hole if I was riding brakeless and deemed at fault for that reason.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-02-19, 10:41 AM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
What if you manage to get in an accident with a car and are deemed at fault b/c you didn't have a brake???? @TimothyH's argument above is compelling IMO. **** happens and I've been re-compensated by drivers' insurance twice. I'd be several grand in the hole if I was riding brakeless and deemed at fault for that reason.
if i'm hit by no fault of my own i'll worry about my health first and then deal with the person that hit me after.

don't want to turn this into a brakeless vs brakes thread. long as you ride safely within your abilities both are plenty safe. it's about how you ride, not what you ride with
Old 05-02-19, 10:52 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

It is difficult to prevent a thread like this from divulging into a brakes vs brakeless thread. I'd like to add that I feel your perspective is a bit short sighted. Have you ever been in an accident with a car? Do you care about your property being compensated for if it is no fault of your own? Of course your health comes first, but what if your bike is totaled and all you have are scrapes and bruises?

I've had a few kerfuffles (<-- cute word) with cars and don't mess around with this stuff. If I as much as get brushed by a car and it causes me to tip over, I'm calling the cops and taking photos, not b/c I want to press charges, but because I need a police report to back up my insurance claim.

Also, I agree that fundamentally, it's about how you ride, not what you ride with. I'd also like to add that it's also about your environment/the world around you (read: cars), and that part you have no control over.

Bottom line: Good luck out there, stay safe, and cover your bases! It's a jungle out there on the road.
Old 05-02-19, 11:13 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Brake vs Brakeless is the religious argument of the forum.

No one has ever changed their mind on this because they read a really convincing post on the internet.
Likes For nightfly:
Old 05-02-19, 12:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
Brake vs Brakeless is the religious argument of the forum.

No one has ever changed their mind on this because they read a really convincing post on the internet.
Almost meeting Jesus has changed people's mind.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-02-19, 12:58 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Ha good one!
Old 05-02-19, 01:01 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by nightfly
A true universal truth of the interwebz.

Another universal truth: We're still going to try!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-19, 01:12 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
long as you ride safely within your abilities both are plenty safe. it's about how you ride, not what you ride with
This. The trike or balance bike we all started on had no brakes. A coaster brake is functionally the same as brakeless fixed. What is necessary is to know the limits of yourself and your equipment, and ride accordingly.

Same discussion among surfers regarding leash vs. no leash. Riding leashless is the quintessential experience but you better know what you're doing.
Old 05-02-19, 01:17 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
And what was the outcome to this?
This was years ago; I don't remember and am not inclined to try digging it up. It probably doesn't matter anyways since any judge could rule one way or the other.
Old 05-02-19, 01:18 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by jlafitte
Same discussion among surfers regarding leash vs. no leash. Riding leashless is the quintessential experience but you better know what you're doing.
But if you get bit by a shark who thinks you're a seal and go to open a claim with said shark's insurance and then they learn that you were riding leashless and won't repair your half eaten leg, you're screwed!!!
Old 05-02-19, 01:18 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

realistically, I bet most drivers (and even some cops) wouldn't take note of your bike and/or any brakeless legislature anyway, but still!
Old 05-02-19, 03:21 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
But if you get bit by a shark who thinks you're a seal and go to open a claim with said shark's insurance and then they learn that you were riding leashless and won't repair your half eaten leg, you're screwed!!!
^^ why I surf with a leash
Old 05-02-19, 09:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I think you are mistaken. Here is the requirement in Georgia:

(b) Every bicycle sold or operated shall be equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level pavement.

There does not seem to be any specific requirement that the brake be mounted on a particular wheel. And FWIW, the requirement is identical to California's.
Hmm, by requiring that braked wheel(s) be the one that can be made to skid, it implies that the rear should have a brake. Skidding the front tire is a terrifying experience that usually ends in a crash, so I doubt it's what the writers had in mind.

Hopefully, this is just a case where the requirement is poorly written, and they meant to say that the bike has both a brake, and the ability to skid *a* tire which is a crude proxy for being able to apply maximum braking, somewhere.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-02-19, 10:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
I was hit by a car riding my fix gear (with two good brakes) and got a $50,000 settlement. Brakes were not an issue in that crash, but - had I none and that became noticed, the insurance company could have let it go to court where I would have had a tough case, both with an illegal bike and obvious poor judgement. (Loading the jury with brakeless fix gear riders would be a tough one.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-02-19, 11:25 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

-Tim-
Ive been hit 11 times. All brakeless. All singlespeed (fixed). A few times were BMX. One time was my fault (BMX). A few years ago I was hit Christmas "Eve" (technically Christmas Day because it was after 1am.) I know I had my lights on because I would never ride without them on. I was riding home from my friends house. No drugs or alcohol involved just to clarify. The road had little to no traffic, two lane road each way, bike lanes, not much lighting. I was hit by an older man driving a lincoln town car. My rear triangle was smashed in on the non-drive side. I woke up in the hospital wondering why I was there. I had no memory of Christmas Eve all together. I yelled for a nurse. They told me I was hit by a car. I looked at my arms and I had cuts/scrapes/bruises even on my head and face. No broken bones. I asked where my bike was. They didn't know. I fell back asleep. I was in the hospital for 4 days. I didn't eat anything. I only woke up to pee in a bag and drink the juice that was on the food tray that was on my lap. I think i may have had jello or apple sauce. That's it. I remember my grandpa came to visit me in the hospital one time that I woke up. On the 4th day when I was okay to leave. I finally was able to walk to the restroom and pee. I still saw my family for Christmas. This accident had nothing to do with me being brakeless or not. Just an old man that shouldn't be driving at 1am. I was also hit in the mall parking lot on my way to go to my friends house (same friend and this accident was a few months before the one explained.) Two ladies in an SUV. They were talking and not paying attention while turning and hit me. Even if I did have brakes I would have been hit. I was okay. I was taken to the hospital because I had a large wound that just scabbed over prior to being hit by the lady. When I fell to the ground the whole scab ripped off. It was from road rash about the whole length of my shin from falling on slick pavement months before. I pressed charges. I won $$$. Nothing was brought up about my brakeless bike. I live in South Florida. The worst. Ride what you ride as long as you stay safe.
Old 05-03-19, 10:29 AM
Gorillalove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One would think to have a minimum stopping distance as the rule not one that can be overcome by some oil on the tire.
Old 05-03-19, 11:16 AM
REDMASTA

if only people could get as passionate about more rigorous training and requirements for operating a 1.5 ton land missile as they do about how we stop our 20lbs bicycles . look at how many pedestrians and motorists are killed each year in your state, it's ridiculous.
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 05-03-19, 11:55 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

As cyclists we're totally marginalized as well. Pedestrians hate us, motorists hate us... But in their defense, I hate bikes when I'm walking or driving too . So I get it.
Old 05-03-19, 12:33 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 05-03-19, 12:41 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

OK I'm actually going back to work now...
Old 05-03-19, 01:28 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Yea, honestly, I hate fellow cyclists with the same passion out on the road as I hate motorists. Of course, those cyclists can’t flatten me into the asphalt.
Old 05-03-19, 06:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
What if you manage to get in an accident with a car and are deemed at fault b/c you didn't have a brake? […] I'd be several grand in the hole if I was riding brakeless and deemed at fault for that reason.
if i'm hit by no fault of my own i'll worry about my health first and then deal with the person that hit me after.
The important thing to keep in mind is that from a legal and insurance perspective, it's not you who gets to decide who is at fault. If the police or insurance company decide that your lack of a recognized brake makes you liable, you're SOL.
Old 05-03-19, 08:06 PM
REDMASTA

Old 05-03-19, 10:03 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Long of the short is that if the law requires a front,rear or both brakes that's what you need. If you run brakeless then you need to HTFU and act like an adult and deal with it. Cycling with cars is not fair, just as life. Nobody in this world would ride anything with wheels without brakes and expect to come out on top in the case of a collision.

That said,I've run brakeless for 17 years and only had 1 time being hit. It was the old ladies fault but I just got up and rode home. No injury. I was lucky. If the law got involved I would have made my peace with it and chalked it up to me not following the law.
Likes For BoozyMcliverRot:
Old 05-04-19, 04:26 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
Long of the short is that if the law requires a front,rear or both brakes that's what you need. If you run brakeless then you need to HTFU and act like an adult and deal with it. Cycling with cars is not fair, just as life. Nobody in this world would ride anything with wheels without brakes and expect to come out on top in the case of a collision.

That said,I've run brakeless for 17 years and only had 1 time being hit. It was the old ladies fault but I just got up and rode home. No injury. I was lucky. If the law got involved I would have made my peace with it and chalked it up to me not following the law.
“Take my advice, be an adult and follow the law, even though I’ve never followed the law.”
Likes For seamuis:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.