Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Transitions Glasses?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Transitions Glasses?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 05:48 PM
hexron

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Transitions Glasses?

Thinking about investing in pair of prescription transition lenses. Anyone have any experience? Oakley?

Do they fully go clear and fully dark? When I was a kid I had some that were always a little grey.
Old 05-06-19, 05:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Rudy Project. The prescription lenses are in a separate holder and can be replaced much cheaper.

This is how dark the clear get.
Old 05-06-19, 06:44 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I have not had a transitions in quite a few years. I remember the lenses did get totally clear, but they never got dark enough and they do not cut the glare. Also, I did not like that when in a car, if the sun was not directly on them, they stayed clear. Not much good for that. I always use polarized prescription glassed now.
Old 05-06-19, 06:47 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Oakley has light transmission specs on all of their lenses, even the photochromic lenses. Look up the specs for the glasses in question and see if you can reference that against any of your current glasses.

That said, photochromic lenses don't usually go as dark as the typical bright conditions glasses and they don't usually go completely clear, either. While I haven't owned Oakley photochromics, my experience with a couple other (good) brands was that the light levels always seemed bright, but not quite squinty, uncomfortable bright. Some will love this while it'll leave other wanting more. On the low light end of the scale, mine were fine for night use, but not as good as dedicated night riding/driving glasses, which usually filter certain parts of the spectrum to enhance contrast (the first time you wear a good pair of night lenses it's pretty remarkable, or at least it was for me).
Old 05-06-19, 08:08 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Transitions are good. They now have a version that works inside cars too. They are a bit spendy though. I just bit the bullet and gave in and got a dedicated pair of sunglasses for cycling.

Glad i got separate riding glasses in the end. I still get transitions on my regular glasses. A nice feature.

my dedicated prescription riding sunglasses are oakley. They are sweet
Old 05-06-19, 08:49 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
My last three pairs of prescription glasses have been transitions from Costco, no problems at all and my next pairs will be transitions as well. I wear them all the time including on the bike. The only thing I notice is they are slow to return to non dark when it is cold out and mine do not get dark in the car, not sure if that revision was available at Costco but that is not a show stopper for me.
Old 05-07-19, 01:30 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I have a set of Oakley transitions. Like Whyfi mentioned above, they don't go dark enough when it is really bright out so, I don't use them on my road bike. They are good in the trails on an MTB though...
Old 05-07-19, 04:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I've worn transition lenses in regular glasses for years. Never had any problem with them.

They change colour as the light changes, but I don't actually notice the difference, or not much ... which is just the way I want it.

Last edited by Machka; 05-07-19 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 04:21 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Guess I'm an outlier here. Have been wearing them for 4-5 years, but next time around, I'm going to skip them. Biggest problem for me is just how dark they can get and time to clear under certain circumstances such as bright sun and snow. Coming in from that sort of environmental factors you're nearly blind for a few minutes. So, next time around, prescription sunglasses and perhaps clip-ons in the car. The lack of polarization is also a big factor for me.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 05-07-19 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 05:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
+1 on Rudy Project with inserts, especially if your Rx is likely to change during their lifetime. Got a pair last fall and like them. They don't go super dark. I don't like super dark anyway.
Old 05-07-19, 07:12 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Also +1 to Rudy Project, I have some photochromic lenses through them and love them.
Old 05-09-19, 03:16 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I have transitions xtractive in my specs. Freakin great at all times while riding. They supposedly get darker on hot days than the regular Signature / VII version, but don't go as clear. They get plenty clear (20% tint vs 9% normal glasses) enough for riding on the darkest of nights/AMs, but get enough tint in time for sunrise. The darkest Oakleys have a 90% tint, these will get up to 85%.
Only downsides 1) They start out clear when you start your day ride. 2) They look stupid half tinted 3) they don't work in the car.

I'd do it again, but get a flash mirror finish ( I think SportRX.com will do this). They'll look clear with a weird coating on them when it's dark, but will quickly go mirror. This solves they half-tint look issue. Only SportRX will do non-Oakley transitions that I know of.

I have not had luck with the off brands (Zeiss usually), as they do not get light or dark enough .I'd only do the Oakley Iridium transitions for the mirror - they only do 33% clear to 90% dark, so probably not a great solution for night.

Last edited by jfranci3; 05-09-19 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-09-19, 08:01 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I have both lenses of Oakley transitions lenses. One is called something with black in the name is nearly clear (You can use them for night riding.) but doesn’t get dark enough for clear bright conditions, like the beach for example. The other is G with some number and it is good for bright days but does not go totally clear (Good for cloudy days that aren’t dark. ).
Old 05-09-19, 08:06 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
My last three pairs of prescription glasses have been transitions from Costco, no problems at all and my next pairs will be transitions as well. I wear them all the time including on the bike. The only thing I notice is they are slow to return to non dark when it is cold out and mine do not get dark in the car, not sure if that revision was available at Costco but that is not a show stopper for me.
Transitions use UV rays to create a reaction in the lenses. Car glass blocks UV rays. Costco has driving glasses that will get dark while driving. I have a pair. They are great.
Old 05-09-19, 08:19 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by hexron
Thinking about investing in pair of prescription transition lenses. Anyone have any experience? Oakley?

Do they fully go clear and fully dark? When I was a kid I had some that were always a little grey.
I have Oakley transition lenses. They are fantastic. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

There are two types of transition lenses - one goes full clear in the dark and the other will retain a slight tint. I ride at night and so have the ones with no tint, fully transparent in the dark.

Flak 2.0, frosted edges, transition, progressive. No other lab would touch it.

-Tim-
Old 05-10-19, 08:19 AM
jfranci3

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I have Oakley transition lenses. They are fantastic. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

There are two types of transition lenses - one goes full clear in the dark and the other will retain a slight tint. I ride at night and so have the ones with no tint, fully transparent in the dark.

-Tim-
Let me reword that for you - There are two types of "Oakley" transitions (photochromic) lens. Ones that start clear and add tint and ones that have a base tint and add. The Oakley Black Iridium may be plain traditional "Transition" lens with a mirror coating.

In reality, there are three classes of these are:
- UV sensitive - eg "Transitions" branded, don't work in the car, what you normally think of. Performance affected by temp have about 70% tint range.
-Ambient light sensitive - most Oakley and other brands, work in the car, very limited range, don't go full dark or light - 20% - 50% range. These work nice for people who don't like super dark tinted sunglasses / mtb bikers coming in/out of the woods.
-Electrical control - Uvex has a pair out there. Non-RX.

What the companies do is take one of these technologies and either add a photochromic layer to a base tint or clear lens. In the case of Transitions Xtractive, they layer these two types of photochromic types. I think RudyProject may be doing this too - if so, they are the only ones I know of. These are the only lens that will work pitch black to clear ski day/beachday tint.
Old 05-10-19, 08:44 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
Let me reword that for you - There are two types of "Oakley" transitions (photochromic) lens. Ones that start clear and add tint and ones that have a base tint and add. The Oakley Black Iridium may be plain traditional "Transition" lens with a mirror coating.

- UV sensitive - eg "Transitions" branded, don't work in the car, what you normally think of. Performance affected by temp have about 70% tint range.
-Ambient light sensitive - most Oakley and other brands, work in the car, very limited range, don't go full dark or light - 20% - 50% range. These work nice for people who don't like super dark tinted sunglasses / mtb bikers coming in/out of the woods.

What the companies do is take one of these technologies and either add a photochromic layer to a base tint or clear lens. In the case of Transitions Xtractive, they layer these two types of photochromic types. I think RudyProject may be doing this too - if so, they are the only ones I know of. These are the only lens that will work pitch black to clear ski day/beachday tint.
Oakley Transition lenses are UV sensitive, not ambient light sensitive.
Old 05-10-19, 09:15 AM
jfranci3

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Oakley Transition lenses are UV sensitive, not ambient light sensitive.
The Iridium (mirrored) ones? That makes sense based on their range. I think they are just normal transition lenses with a mirror finish then. The mirror adds about 10% to the tint depending.

Last edited by jfranci3; 05-10-19 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 10:21 AM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I've had Transitions for the better part of 20 years. I like 'em a lot. As for not being dark enough--mine come with magnetic clip-ons--problem solved. The reason most transitions don't turn dark in your car is because the windows are already tinted-albeit very lightly-but just enough to block out the (A or B or whatever) rays that turn the transitions dark.
Jon
Old 05-10-19, 09:33 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3

My lenses are are prescription, ordered through an optician from Oakley. They don’t work in the car.

-Tim-
Old 09-16-19, 04:23 AM
ticmxman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My lenses are are prescription, ordered through an optician from Oakley. They don’t work in the car.

-Tim-
I’m in the market for a set of progressive cycling glasses. I’m probably going with Oakley Flak 2.0 Xl. I live in NW Georgia. Care to share who you used for your purchase? I’m deciding whether to use a local optician or Sports RX.
Old 09-16-19, 05:23 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by ticmxman
I’m in the market for a set of progressive cycling glasses. I’m probably going with Oakley Flak 2.0 Xl. I live in NW Georgia. Care to share who you used for your purchase? I’m deciding whether to use a local optician or Sports RX.
Good experience with SportRx, ordering Kaenons with proprietary progressives for sailing. Price wasn’t any better than local shop, around 800 bucks.
Old 09-16-19, 05:34 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I have glasses similar to Tim's. Got them at Lenscrafters so Luxottica gets all the money.
Old 09-17-19, 11:08 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts

I didn't know Oakley could do photochromic RX... My Oakleys are due for new lenses since my prescription has changed enough to warrant it, so I think I'll see if I can get photochromic lenses through my opthalmologist. They don't carry Rudy Project unfortunately, and it's enough money I'd prefer to use my vision benefit plus FSA to cover them. I forget what frames I currently have (Flak something or other) but knowing Oakley they change up their product line so often I doubt I can just replace the lenses (and they may not have photochromic lenses for those old frames anyway). So I may end up having to buy new frames as well and the Flak 2.0 XL's look pretty good...

Last edited by sfrider; 09-17-19 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-18-19, 12:07 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Hmmm...
I seem to have all the expensive options here.
  • Glass
  • Safety Glass
  • Photo Grey
  • Astigmatism
  • Progressive Bifocals
Anyway, they end up being mighty expensive lenses, so I tend to use them for quite some time.

As far as the photo-grey. I've used them for a couple of decades, and wouldn't go with anything else. They don't get super clear, or super dark, but are good enough. I really don't notice the transition phase, or any delays in the color changes.

And, I always have every pair of glasses I ever need right on my nose (although I've started using goggles when grinding, in part to protect the lenses).

I've heard different opinions of glass vs plastic. My lenses aren't super thick or heavy, so that isn't an issue. The glass is somewhat more durable than plastic for most things except, apparently for grinder sparks.

The glass + photo-grey are excellent quality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.