Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Conti GP5000 after 400 miles

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Conti GP5000 after 400 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 04:41 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have runn Mavic Ksyrium Ellites with Victoria ties (320 TPI) for years. Just went to Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST's and they are amazing. As I can afford it, all my bikes will be running Mavic tubeless. Faster, lighter, less rolling resistance and more comfortable.
Old 05-09-19, 04:48 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I've put over 1200 miles on my 5000's clinchers. I added Stan's No Flats to my tubes for extra protection.

I had a flat in the middle of a paceline going 26mph and I thought I was going to dump my bike. I put my foot down and caught myself, it was pretty scary. I jumped off my bike, took my front tire off, and struggled with my carbon rims and screamed to the heavens only to look up and have 20 riders standing there watching me...DOH!

So far, I like my Conti 5000's and I hope I stay flat free.
Old 05-09-19, 05:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I didn't get many flats on 4Ks.
Old 05-09-19, 05:23 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I've got about 2k on mine running tubeless. I used the 4000's and S-Works Turbos before. I've never been one to flat a lot and haven't flatted the 5000's. I really like how these tires feel and plan to keep using them. This is my first experience with tubeless so I'm not certain whether it's the tire or the being tubeless. But, in any event, I'm really satisfied.

FWIW, it's looking like I'll get about 4-5k miles out of the rear which is what I got out of the others in the past. I weigh 135lb for reference.
Old 05-09-19, 05:40 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm using Specialized Turbos also and am satisfied with them. They are 28mm and I also got about 5000 miles out of the first one I tried on the rear and now have them front and rear. Myself and the bike together weigh 185 lbs. or less and i pump them up to 165 psi.
Old 05-09-19, 05:46 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I'm using Specialized Turbos also and am satisfied with them. They are 28mm and I also got about 5000 miles out of the first one I tried on the rear and now have them front and rear. Myself and the bike together weigh 185 lbs. or less and i pump them up to 165 psi.
Holy typo, batman.
Old 05-09-19, 05:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I'll wager the 5000s were built to succeed in BRR website's tests. What that means is having a low RR and having some adequate puncture protection (rubber thickness) along the dead-center middle of the tire. To get that, the rest of the tire can be a gooey mess.
Old 05-09-19, 06:11 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'll wager the 5000s were built to succeed in BRR website's tests. What that means is having a low RR and having some adequate puncture protection (rubber thickness) along the dead-center middle of the tire. To get that, the rest of the tire can be a gooey mess.
Erm. Low rolling resistance and puncture protection on the part of the tire that touches things besides air would seem to be pretty important performance aspects of a tire...

You essentially just stated Continental tried to make a good tire. I suppose that WOULD be the point.
Old 05-09-19, 06:23 PM
noodle soup

Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
[QUOTE=Psimet2001;20921985]Flats: Having been in this business for a long time you just can't predict flats. What's more flats follow people more than they do gear. If you're the kind of person who gets flats then you're going to get them. More resistant gear will help reduce it but it's your riding style and choice of line and pressure, etc that are causing the flats. Personally I couldn't tell you the last time I got an honest to goodness flat from a puncture.[/QUOTE]I see you've never ridden in the Southwest US.
Old 05-09-19, 06:25 PM
noodle soup

Old 05-09-19, 06:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Erm. Low rolling resistance and puncture protection on the part of the tire that touches things besides air would seem to be pretty important performance aspects of a tire...

You essentially just stated Continental tried to make a good tire. I suppose that WOULD be the point.
Erm. No. If you don't think puncture resistance outside of a 2mm band down the middle of a tire, nor ability to grip the road are important, then you'd be correct.
Old 05-09-19, 06:35 PM
bluezurich
Team Concussed/AARP

Bikes: Pinarello Stelvio, Ritchey Logic, Trek Roscoe 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
My experience with the GP4k's has been mixed but improved with wheels changes. I rode Mavic OP's with 23's forever and when GP4k's came out I went with them. Flats were as common as with any other light tire. When I started riding wider rims (HED Belgium +) I lowered my pressure from 115-120 to 85-90 and except for something from a construction site or a goathead thorn they have been fantastic. I am on my last pair and will not move to the more delicate 5k's so am curious what I might ride next.
Old 05-09-19, 06:49 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
One might say there are two kinds of people; those plagued with flats, and those who seldom get them. The flat is a symptom, though. The disease is goatheads. There are those who ride among goathead thorns, and those who seldom pass by them.

Those who live near goathead thorn infestations will get puncture flats from them, unless they ride bullet proof tires and/or employ slime or some other sealant.

I've had as many as five flats on one ride with Gatorskins, from riding through a goathead-infested MUP. Last summer I had flats approximately every couple of weeks, so every 200-275 miles, riding GP 4000sII tires. This year I replaced my rear GP4000sII with a GP5000 on my road bike (the front GP4000sII is still too new to toss out). I've got a few hundred flat-free miles on that bike, but it's probably just luck and the fact that it's still too early for goatheads to be mature enough to puncture tires. Later in the season, we'll get there.

On my hybrid I have GP4Season tires. 400 miles in on those tires this year and still no flats. I'm sure they will be sturdier than the 4000 and 5000 tires, but I'm also sure that when goathead season gets underway they will be no match for such a formidable opponent.

It would be nice to have a world campaign to eradicate goathead / puncture plants. But if humanity ever pulled that off we would surely discover the puncture plant is vital to the planet's survival in some way we hadn't anticipated. Maybe they keep the bigfoot population in check, and without them we'll be overrun by that shy but powerful creature.
Likes For daoswald:
Old 05-09-19, 07:21 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My expectations for road tires are very high. I want both excellent puncture resistance and low rolling resistance, in a tire that will last at least 3,000 miles on the rear wheel. Oh, and I'd really rather not pay a ridiculous amount per tire. I've tried many, and most do not succeed.

On my Cervelo, I have about 8,000 miles on Giant Gavia AC1s, mounted tubeless. I have recorded three flats in those miles, all three of which resulted in the loss of the tire: a chunk of a broken Grey Goose bottle, a door hinge screw (about a #10 x 3/4",) and once again, glass-- but on that occasion, brown beer bottle glass. No "nuisance" flats (goatheads, radial tire wire, etc.) never even one. I get around 3,000 per rear tire, fronts are generally good for double that. The front is usually replaced because it's starting to show some ozone degradation in the form of cracks. Current front has about 4,100 miles on it, it will likely "age out" before it hits the mileage limit (probably in late June.)

Do they roll as well as say Schwalbe Pro Ones? Well, no. But they also last significantly longer, and cost half as much. Would I try the GP5000? Sure, for $40-45 a tire, For what they cost now? Absolutely not.
Old 05-09-19, 07:32 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Erm. No. If you don't think puncture resistance outside of a 2mm band down the middle of a tire, nor ability to grip the road are important, then you'd be correct.
Ok, well, it seems you're implying either that the 4000 had poor grip, or that Continental intentionally sacrificed grip on the 5000 to increase rolling resistance then. Before we move on....would you mind clarifying which, so I dont have to infer?
Old 05-09-19, 07:53 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Would I try the GP5000? Sure, for $40-45 a tire, For what they cost now? Absolutely not.
GP5000 are two for $80 at PBK. They don't seem to have the tubeless variety at the moment, but I might have missed it.

Unless you've got something against PBK.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 05-09-19, 07:56 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Tubeless is an absolute must for this area. Following two wet winters, the number of goatheads approaches infinity.
Old 05-10-19, 04:21 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm about 400 miles into a pair of GP5000 tubeful 32mm tires on my Trek Domane. They are definitely not Schwalbe Marathons - they have picked up shards that I've removed and there are other nicks. But nothing close to coming through the inner belt.

I've always used treaded or inverted tread tires on my road bikes, since I bought the Domane in 2017 I've tried the lower rolling resistance tires for that bike. I'm not really sure I could tell the difference between most tires in a blind test, but the 5000s do feel at least as fast as the Bontrager AW3s they replaced and on wet roads they don't scare the crap out of me the way some tires I've tried in the past did.

If I can get 2 seasons or 5-6K miles out of the GP5000s, I'll probably stick with them. They are way easier to get on the Vision 40 wheels on the Domane, and if they last that long I'm fine with it. If not, I'll probably go back to putting Schwalbes on the Domane, which gets most of my mileage these days.

Puncture resistance is my top criteria - one roadside flat repair will eat up the entire year of time saving due to lower rolling resistance!
Old 05-10-19, 06:14 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Fingers Crossed

Originally Posted by jpescatore
I'm about 400 miles into a pair of GP5000 tubeful 32mm tires on my Trek Domane. They are definitely not Schwalbe Marathons - they have picked up shards that I've removed and there are other nicks. But nothing close to coming through the inner belt.

I've always used treaded or inverted tread tires on my road bikes, since I bought the Domane in 2017 I've tried the lower rolling resistance tires for that bike. I'm not really sure I could tell the difference between most tires in a blind test, but the 5000s do feel at least as fast as the Bontrager AW3s they replaced and on wet roads they don't scare the crap out of me the way some tires I've tried in the past did.

If I can get 2 seasons or 5-6K miles out of the GP5000s, I'll probably stick with them. They are way easier to get on the Vision 40 wheels on the Domane, and if they last that long I'm fine with it. If not, I'll probably go back to putting Schwalbes on the Domane, which gets most of my mileage these days.

Puncture resistance is my top criteria - one roadside flat repair will eat up the entire year of time saving due to lower rolling resistance!
If you can go that far on GP 5000s, my hat's off to you. I wasn't able to find out how far I'd go on them, but I rarely got more than 1500 miles out of the rear tire on the older GP 4000s tires. Maybe just my riding style, maybe the roads, whatever. Even the front was gone after about 3K miles. Hoping you stay flat-free, as well. They do ride nicely.
Old 05-10-19, 10:49 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I see you've never ridden in the Southwest US.
Started in this sport while living in El Paso Texas and spent my first two years of riding and racing there. I got a lot of flats there. *shrug* That doesn't change anything I posted. Some people are flat magnets.

These threads always make me feel like when a customer buys a new tube and then goes and rides on it and gets a flat in the first month of having a new tube that we installed. They storm through the door sure in their conviction that they have been wronged and that we must be at fault somehow. While they're talking I find the hole and trace it back. "You ran over glass. Here it is." "That's impossible! I don't remember riding over any glass."

Me:

Them: "Well I better not get a flat on this new one this time."

Me: "The only way to remove the possibility of getting a flat is to not ride the bike. Things happen when you ride."

Them: "Oh, I understand that-"

Me: internally - "do you?"

As a shop you quickly dial in to the fact that there are repeat offenders in every group. Doesn't matter what they are riding, tire, etc.... while all these things will impact the absolute value of the frequency of occurrence it doesn't change the fact that for the same conditions and rides, etc...some people just get more flats than others.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 05-10-19, 10:59 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Psimet2001

These threads always make me feel like when a customer buys a new tube and then goes and rides on it and gets a flat in the first month of having a new tube that we installed. They storm through the door sure in their conviction that they have been wronged and that we must be at fault somehow. While they're talking I find the hole and trace it back. "You ran over glass. Here it is." "That's impossible! I don't remember riding over any glass."
This happens often at my shop, but usually it a new bike buyer(that's new to cycling in the area). They can't believe they got a flat in the first week

In this area it's usually a thorn(not glass), but punctures are common here.
Old 05-10-19, 11:04 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
This happens often at my shop, but usually it a new bike buyer(that's new to cycling in the area). They can't believe they got a flat in the first week

In this area it's usually a thorn(not glass), but punctures are common here.
Yeah when I was in El Paso I ended up with at least 1 layer of Mr Tuffy and rode thorn resistant tubes and would patch tubes. They'd still find a way in.

Since I've been in the Chicagoland area I might get 1 flat a year if I'm riding a ton. Needless to say it's been years since I got an actual flat. I tore the valve off a tube last year trying to see how low I could go on pressure. I found out.

Old 05-10-19, 11:51 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Sidewall cuts are the fault of the rider, not the tire, though of course one can run heavy sidewall tires, but they're slow. I'd rather avoid rocks and run enough pressure to prevent pinch flats.

My 4000 IIs tires are the best I've ever run on our tandem or my singles in terms of tread cuts. Michelin Endurance were possibly the worst. What happens to tires around here are small tread cuts from whatever, maybe 3/16" long, which don't cause a flat immediately. I've had Endurance tires with maybe 10 or so of these of varying sizes. Sooner or later though, they pick up a bit of debris, glass, flint, whatever, which sits in the cut and eventually works its way through the casing and causes a flat. I once had 5 flats on a 50 mile rain ride while running a pair of cut Endurance tires. Yes, I threw them away when I got home, and yes I pick out the debris between rides.

On the good side, my 4000 IIs are the most cut-free tires I've ever run. It's the tread material. Whatever Conti is using, it's the best. I've run over lots and lots of glass with the 4000s. Seldom a flat, seldom a tread cut.

I'm looking forward to running my new 5000s, but I'll have to wait until I wear out my 4000s, so maybe next year.
Old 05-10-19, 11:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I once had 5 flats on a 50 mile rain ride while running a pair of cut Endurance tires.
Jeebus. I don't even carry enough spares/patches to address 5 flats, but if I did, I still would have called it quits by #3 , maybe #4 , and made the call of shame.
Old 05-10-19, 12:04 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Jeebus. I don't even carry enough spares/patches to address 5 flats, but if I did, I still would have called it quits by #3 , maybe #4 , and made the call of shame.
Patches? We don't need no stinkin' PATCHES!!
Likes For datlas:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.