Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bullitt Or Tern GSD

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Bullitt Or Tern GSD

Old 05-09-19, 03:31 PM
maddy13
late night rider

Bikes: masi vincere/ san jose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bullitt Or Tern GSD

Hi Guys,

The title says it all. I'm torn between a Tern GSD and a LVH Bullitt with the E8000. I need to carry two kids around, and I live in the Pacific NW, so there is rain to contend with. I also live in a city, so there is space to contend with.

The Tern is so modular, small, and obviously useful. I'd throw panniers, a Yepp seat for the baby and a Hooptie from Cycle Fab for the toddler. It just isn't exciting

I love riding the Bullit, even though I'm a small female. After a short learning period, it was an absolute blast to ride. I'm shocked at how much I like it. The Bullitt is more expensive, but both bikes are an obscene amount of money once kitted out. I could see the rain cover being awesome for the kids in winter. Finding parking for the bike would be harder, and maneuvering to the parking would be rough. Space in the garage is already at a premium, so the Tern wins here too.

I'm stuck.

Anyone have thoughts? I have a day or so to decide...
Old 05-09-19, 07:17 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Seems like you already have a good understanding of the differences. GSD wins if you're tight on space, either at your home or the places you need to take your bike. It also wins for riding more like a normal bike and being more agile in general. Also if you intend to share the bike with someone else, both because of it's range of fit and also because anyone can hop on and ride, whereas the Bullitt has a learning curve.

Bullitt wins for carrying ability hands down. Nothing beats a box bike for carrying kids, especially in the rain. Add a Blaq canopy and it's a true all weather bike that your kids will feel comfy in. Also wins for stability while riding and while parked. Lower load and WAY better kickstand support. You'll generally never worry about your kids climbing into the Bullitt by themselves.

However, the box bike solution is only as good as the box you put in front, and here is where the Bullitt is lacking compared to some other options like Riese and Muller Packster 80/60, Cetma Largo, Urban Arrow, Douze, etc. Bullitt's own passenger kit is really quite narrow, which works fine for two smaller kids, but as they get bigger, and/or they want to add a friend to the mix, the Bullitt's box is just too small. It's also quite short compared to other options. There are some third party box makers who make a wider box, but these have their own pros/cons. R&M Packster, Urban Arrow, etc all offer larger front box options which allow for more room as your kids get bigger, which means you can either haul much larger kids, more smaller kids (up to 4), or a combo of kids and gear.

What city are you in? There are dealers for every brand I've listed (minus Cetma) in both Seattle and Portland. I'd really recommend trying all of them, looking at how much space is left over with both your kids loaded, and imagine how that space will look in another 3 or more years.

Also, are you okay with the step over height of the Bullitt? That was a deal breaker for me personally as I highly prefer low-step for city use, especially with loaded bikes, and also wanted the flexibility to put larger loads on the rear rack (kid's seat, etc). Riding geometry is also quite different between the bikes. Bullitt is fairly sporty (which I love), while Urban Arrow is Dutch style relaxed, so not great if you have hills. GSD is somewhere in between, but maybe a bit more towards the Bullitt.

GSD wins over the Bullitt if the double battery option is something you are considering, although this is something R&M Packster offers too.
Old 05-09-19, 08:49 PM
maddy13
late night rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. The Riese and Müller Load 60 was the first bike I tried, and was ridiculously posh, and rode like a dream. It would be pretty tight for two kids. I’m sure the Packster and Load 75 would be equally luxurious, but they have a have a bigger footprint than I’m comfortable with. The price matched the luxury, and there is a longer wait than for the Bullit.

The Bullitt I tried had a badger box with a kids seat. The box was primitive compared to the Riese and Muller’s, but it seemed to work. And the bike is kinda sexy.

The GSD is a brilliant little bike. I rode both again today. The GSD requires no skill or thought. It just works.

I need to pick one by tomorrow. I’d get both if I could
Old 05-09-19, 09:34 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Guessing you're dealing with either Splendid or G&O? What do they recommend? Those guys really know their stuff.

For me, as soon as you say "kids", and assuming space allows, it automatically goes to the Bullitt.
Old 05-10-19, 11:09 AM
maddy13
late night rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Splendid is the shop I’m working with. They are so kind, patient and knowledgeable. I can’t recommend them enough. Today I’m leaning towards the Tern GSD after having a long talk with my SO (who is leaving the choice up to me). She thinks she could handle daycare drop offs with the Bullitt, but wouldn’t feel safe riding the kids downtown in it.

My two year old announced that she wanted to “ride on the back of the orange bike.”

Maybe I could find a used or demo Bullitt next fall...?
Old 05-10-19, 12:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Cool So you have a house with a Garage ..

https://www.ternbicycles.com/bikes/gsd vs https://www.larryvsharry.com/
Long tail Vs Long John/Bakfiets Look you can get an enclosure to keep the kids dry .
Also in the long tail category is Bike Friday's Haul a Day and there is the Xtracycle..
a small shop in Eugene makes a steel version of the Danish long John the Long Haul .

Old 05-10-19, 06:31 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maddy13
Splendid is the shop I’m working with. They are so kind, patient and knowledgeable. I can’t recommend them enough. Today I’m leaning towards the Tern GSD after having a long talk with my SO (who is leaving the choice up to me). She thinks she could handle daycare drop offs with the Bullitt, but wouldn’t feel safe riding the kids downtown in it.

My two year old announced that she wanted to “ride on the back of the orange bike.”

Maybe I could find a used or demo Bullitt next fall...?
You really can't go wrong either way and your kids will love riding on the GSD. I think the biggest thing to sort out is a solution for the rain since Tern doesn't offer anything. Let us know your decision and how you like the results.
Old 05-11-19, 08:10 AM
maddy13
late night rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually own a Haul-A-Day and it is getting sold for the new bike. It rode really well not electrified and with one kid.

I electrified it with their Chinese system, and it has never worked. It is likely something simple, but I’m tired of messing with it, and can’t keep driving to Eugene. Plus there is quite a bit of wiggle (frame flex?) with two kids. I don’t want to put people off of the bike, because they make a heavy duty version that may be stiffer.

Bike Friday needs to commit to build around Bosch or Steps motors if they are going to give an electric option. In fact I’d suggest Steps because of the price point. They are an awesome little company, and I’d love to support them in the future.