Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

WTB Venture vs. Byway

Old 12-24-18, 08:32 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
WTB Venture vs. Byway

Currently running the excellent Byways and am constantly impressed with how they ride here on our SoCal "gravel" (read: dry hard pack and lots of rocks, and LOTS of climbing where traction is challenging). Don't really "need" new tires but very curious if the new Ventures would be a marked improvement in these conditions: https://www.wtb.com/products/venture
Anybody using the Ventures care to chime in?
Old 12-24-18, 10:30 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I have been using byways here in socal and I'm finding the need for more tread on some parts of my fire road routes. I have been thinking of going knobbier like the sendero or going straight to thunder burts.
Old 12-24-18, 10:36 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by gus6464
I have been using byways here in socal and I'm finding the need for more tread on some parts of my fire road routes. I have been thinking of going knobbier like the sendero or going straight to thunder burts.
I hear ya. The ByWays are surprising in this terrain, but I could use more grip at times. Wondering if the Ventures would be that much/enough of a difference. I'm about 60/40 dirt/pavement.
Old 12-25-18, 12:50 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I inquired about the Ventures when my new wheels were ready about 3 weeks ago. I was really set on them too. But word from my LBS was they wouldn't be available until Feb 1, 2019, so I went with the Teravail Cannonball, the 650b x 47 Light and Supple Tan (sidewalls) model instead. I may not be as critical as most, but so far I have no complaint with the Cannonballs and i'm enjoying them.

https://teravail.com/tires/cannonball#TR7268

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 12-25-18, 03:46 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by ericzamora
I inquired about the Ventures when my new wheels were ready about 3 weeks ago. I was really set on them too. But word from my LBS was they wouldn't be available until Feb 1, 2019, so I went with the Teravail Cannonball, the 650b x 47 Light and Supple Tan (sidewalls) model instead. I may not be as critical as most, but so far I have no complaint with the Cannonballs and i'm enjoying them.

https://teravail.com/tires/cannonball#TR7268

eric/fresno, ca.
You have the same kinda conditions there I would imagine. Never heard of those tires before. How do you like them on pavement? I'm not that THAT picky about the on-road performance, but still . . .
Old 12-25-18, 07:03 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Originally Posted by pbass
You have the same kinda conditions there I would imagine. Never heard of those tires before. How do you like them on pavement? I'm not that THAT picky about the on-road performance, but still . . .
For some background, I used to ride my 1983 road bike everywhere back in the 80s, raced club criteriums and TTs too. Sew-ups and clinchers, usually 21-23c, 90-110psi.

After 30 years, I bought a 27.5+ hardtail mountain bike. Fun, but i missed the "road mileage." The gravel bike thing caught my attention and my Norco Search XR 105 came with Clement 700c MSO XPlor tires in the 40c size. I was fast enough on pavement, and anything i may have experienced, i chalked it up to age and being off a bike for 30-something years. I really liked the Clement XPlors, but I wanted 650b wheels!

Over the past few weeks I've been riding the 650b Teravail Cannonballs in the same areas I rode the Clements, about 60/40 pavement/dirt. I think the tread pattern is somewhat similar between the two gravel tires. Of course the Cannonballs are bigger. I'm running them at the same PSI 40f/38r and tubeless as I did the Clements, and i notice no reduction in speed on pavement. I doubt I could hang with a local roadie pack of course, but that would be mostly due to my fitness.

One nice advantage is I find myself cruising through brief soft sandy stretches with more confidence than I did the Clements. Plus I love the skinwall color. The tires are mounted to Kinlin TL-23 asymmetrical rims with Bitex hubs built by Mill City Cycle and measure out to 47 or 48c, i forget right now.

eric/fresno, ca.

Last edited by ericzamora; 12-25-18 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-25-18, 07:23 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
For some background, I used to ride my 1983 road bike everywhere back in the 80s, raced club criteriums and TTs too. Sew-ups and clinchers, usually 21-23c, 90-110psi.

After 30 years, I bought a 27.5+ hardtail mountain bike. Fun, but i missed the "road mileage." The gravel bike thing caught my attention and my Norco Search XR 105 came with Clement 700c MSO XPlor tires in the 40c size. I was fast enough on pavement, and anything i may have experienced, i chalked it up to age and being off a bike for 30-something years. I really liked the Clement XPlors, but I wanted 650b wheels!

eric/fresno, ca.
the X'plor MSO comes in a 650x 50
Old 12-25-18, 07:31 PM
ericzamora
junior

Originally Posted by Metieval
the X'plor MSO comes in a 650x 50
Yes. I know. The owner of my LBS had a set, though not the tubeless version. But I wanted skinwall. And I like experimenting. In this case, a tire that sounded good, but wasn't well-known.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 05-09-19, 02:49 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts

Over the past few weeks I've been riding the 650b Teravail Cannonballs in the same areas I rode the Clements, about 60/40 pavement/dirt. I think the tread pattern is somewhat similar between the two gravel tires. Of course the Cannonballs are bigger. I'm running them at the same PSI 40f/38r and tubeless as I did the Clements, and i notice no reduction in speed on pavement. I doubt I could hang with a local roadie pack of course, but that would be mostly due to my fitness.

One nice advantage is I find myself cruising through brief soft sandy stretches with more confidence than I did the Clements. Plus I love the skinwall color. The tires are mounted to Kinlin TL-23 asymmetrical rims with Bitex hubs built by Mill City Cycle and measure out to 47 or 48c, i forget right now.

eric/fresno, ca.

I am very 650b curious. I run 700x40mm Maxxis Ramblers. Are the differences between running 700 x 40mm tires and 650b x 47mm big enough that it is worth investing in a 650b wheelset?
Old 05-09-19, 07:37 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm
I am very 650b curious. I run 700x40mm Maxxis Ramblers. Are the differences between running 700 x 40mm tires and 650b x 47mm big enough that it is worth investing in a 650b wheelset?

One way I answered that question was to just try a 700x50 on the front. Or, you can just borrow/rent a mountain bike. Realistically, it is about 10psi and more flotation. Yeah, it is noticeably more cush.
Likes For chas58:
Old 05-09-19, 09:29 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
It makes a pretty big difference in deep sand and on super-rough, eroded surfaces. BUT . . . make sure the 650b x 47's are really 650b x 47's. The WTB Venture 47 IS NOT a 47mm wide tire. Look at the embossing on the sidewall. It's manufactured to meet ISO 44mm wide specs -- and it does. On a 21mm internal width wheel, the Venture 47 measures out at 44mm wide.

How about the Byways? I've heard a lot about them. What does the embossed ISO marking on their sidewall say?
Old 05-09-19, 02:23 PM
Hmmm

Originally Posted by chas58
One way I answered that question was to just try a 700x50 on the front. Or, you can just borrow/rent a mountain bike. Realistically, it is about 10psi and more flotation. Yeah, it is noticeably more cush.
Trying to grasp this without being able to test it. So I appreciate the perspective.

There are some rides on 40mm tires I feel a bit battered and shaken up after, happy to see paved road again, whether I was pushing it hard or just on rougher terrain for a while. Would you say with the right 650b tire I would feel less battered and shaken up on the same ride?

Thanks again. Testing a 650b bike isn't the easiest where I'm at.
Old 05-10-19, 07:45 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Trying to grasp this without being able to test it. So I appreciate the perspective.

There are some rides on 40mm tires I feel a bit battered and shaken up after, happy to see paved road again, whether I was pushing it hard or just on rougher terrain for a while. Would you say with the right 650b tire I would feel less battered and shaken up on the same ride?

Thanks again. Testing a 650b bike isn't the easiest where I'm at.

The easiesst way to see what the 47mm tires would feel like would be to run your ramblers at 7psi lower than you normally run them - as that is about where you would run a 47mm tire. You'll be more likely to pinch flat or bottom out on the rim, but that will give you a similar feel of comfort.

Personally, if I'm feeling battered or beaten up on my bike I:
Use a seat post with a lot of compliance. I've used Ergon, Specialized, and the Thudbuster. that will prevent a lot of jarring.
If I need more compliance up front, I throw on something like the 45mmx700 rambler up front (which is going to offer similar comfort to the 47x650 tire), and/or a redshift stem
https://gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-te...inimize-bumps/

650b will help too, but it will lower your bike (pedal strike?) and of course isn't cheap.
Old 05-10-19, 11:47 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Currently running the excellent Byways and am constantly impressed with how they ride here on our SoCal "gravel" (read: dry hard pack and lots of rocks, and LOTS of climbing where traction is challenging). Don't really "need" new tires but very curious if the new Ventures would be a marked improvement in these conditions: https://www.wtb.com/products/venture
Anybody using the Ventures care to chime in?
i have used byways for close to 3000miles (mostly road) Ventures are a tire i am interested as well for rail trails etc. I use the byway commuting and they do well on my pavement/ dirt mix. I think that I might be fine with the byways but I think I would like to pick up some ventures or Terrevail Elwood for a bit more tread on gravel
Old 05-10-19, 12:34 PM
pbass

Got a pair of Ventures incoming--will report back on how they compare to the ByWays on my local terrain.
Likes For pbass:
Old 05-11-19, 09:59 AM
ericzamora
junior

I loved my 700cx40 MSOs. I love my 650bx47 wheels/tires twice as much! Both are tubeless. It may be all in my head, but my 650b wheels and tire combo just seems more fun than the 700cx40s. I run them around 38-40psi these days, but may try out 32-35 just for kicks. The cush feel is so nice on the rough stuff, but not like i'm trying to roll with flatted tires. I ride pavement as well, and feel fine at the same psi. i should note, i've added a Redshift Stop Shock stem, and the combination of tires and stem is really nice. I misplaced my riding gloves for a couple of weeks and rode barehanded, but never noticed any comfort issues on the gravel rides I rode during that time.

I became friends with the owner of my LBS, who also runs 650b and has the same bike i ended up buying. He offered to lend me his wheel set just to try them out when i mentioned my interest in 650b (I never took him up on his offer and just jumped into that pool headfirst). Which is another good reason to establish a good relationship with your LBS. Perhaps a local cycling club member would be willing to let you test theirs out too.

eric/fresno, ca.

Last edited by ericzamora; 05-11-19 at 10:09 AM.
Likes For ericzamora:
Old 05-12-19, 09:25 PM
pbass

I loved my 700cx40 MSOs. I love my 650bx47 wheels/tires twice as much! Both are tubeless. It may be all in my head, but my 650b wheels and tire combo just seems more fun than the 700cx40s.
I just crashed my 650Bx47 Road Plus Rove and busted my shifter, so I've been riding my Cross Check with 700cx41 Knards. I literally hadn't touched that bike for 7-8 mos after getting the 650B Rove. I gotta say, I see why it's nice to have both wheel sizes. The 700c's are faster in many situations--I feel like they're more efficient once things are up and rolling. But if I had to choose just one though, I think it'd be 650B. For my size (smaller guy) and the way I ride (lots of off road gnar) I just get much better handling, and as you say, more fun, from the 650B's. If I were more road-oriented, I think I would favor the 700c's.
Old 05-13-19, 06:28 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Got a pair of Ventures incoming--will report back on how they compare to the ByWays on my local terrain.
sounds great looking forward to your review and some pictures of them mounted up on your bike!

I was thinking Byways were okay until I went down on some gravel path that was added to a recent park. Of course i was riding with panniers and i had the air pressure closer to 50 than probably.
Old 05-13-19, 06:28 AM
Hmmm

I just crashed my 650Bx47 Road Plus Rove and busted my shifter, so I've been riding my Cross Check with 700cx41 Knards. I literally hadn't touched that bike for 7-8 mos after getting the 650B Rove. I gotta say, I see why it's nice to have both wheel sizes. The 700c's are faster in many situations--I feel like they're more efficient once things are up and rolling. But if I had to choose just one though, I think it'd be 650B. For my size (smaller guy) and the way I ride (lots of off road gnar) I just get much better handling, and as you say, more fun, from the 650B's. If I were more road-oriented, I think I would favor the 700c's.
Cool. I really appreciate the perspective. Looks like eventually I'll be getting some 650b wheels. I've looked into buying a set online but it gets a little daunting with everything involved. Did you guys go into a shop and have them help or is this something I can easily choose out online and buy all the parts to?
Old 05-13-19, 10:24 PM
ericzamora
junior

My shop has Hunt wheels hanging from the ceiling, for sale. if i wanted the Hunt gravel wheels, and they did not have them in stock, they'd bend over backwards in ordering them for me.

One of the mechanics at my shop also offers his custom wheel building expertise for customers. In my case, i could tell him my budget, and he would work with me on the parts, order the parts for me, and build the wheels. I imagine something similar is available to you in your area.

In the end, I personally chose someone out of town who built my set, working within my budget, and using components he's familiar with using. I've built wheels in the past, decades ago for myself. The concept is basically the same, but specs have changed. I decided to turn to his expertise rather than spend another 20-30 hours "researching" the subject.

eric/fresno, ca.

Last edited by ericzamora; 05-13-19 at 10:28 PM.
Likes For ericzamora:
Old 05-14-19, 06:38 PM
pbass

Cool. I really appreciate the perspective. Looks like eventually I'll be getting some 650b wheels. I've looked into buying a set online but it gets a little daunting with everything involved. Did you guys go into a shop and have them help or is this something I can easily choose out online and buy all the parts to?
For my level of expertise, I'd go to my LBS and get advised on wheels for my bike. I'll do simple stuff myself like experiment with handlebars, stems, tires, maybe a front chainring here and there, seatposts, etc--easy beginner stuff. But something like choosing wheels or any significant drivetrain mods--I like to go to the shop and get myself educated by the pros!
Likes For pbass:
Old 05-16-19, 10:27 PM
pbass

OK, I haven't ridden on the dirt yet, but they sure do look cool on this bike Up and down my street feels good (at "pavement PSI"). They do seem a tad narrower than the ByWays just by eye--I never measured my ByWays. But I'm cool with sacrificing some width for some tread
. Tomorrow I will hit the fire roads and see how these babies grip....
Old 05-17-19, 12:24 AM
ericzamora
junior

Those look GREAT!

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 05-17-19, 07:03 PM
pbass

First ride on the Ventures today in Cherry Canyon. Like night and day compared to the ByWays for grip. All-around better--I can stand and hammer, I can use my brakes again..you know what I mean. I'm actually a little surprised how much more grip they give with that tight tread, but it just works. I hit all the usual spots where I'm usually on the edge of losing traction and it was way better. And I could go faster.
If you ride in these parts you know about the kind of dirt we have - this tight tread pattern does hold on to lots of those little teeny rocks making for a crunchy ride home on the road until they start shaking loose. I expect that'll change over time with wear. My wife was making fun of me as I sat in the driveway picking the remainder out with my fingernails...
Old 05-21-19, 11:58 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

@pbass how did they feel on the road vs gravel? did you change PSI or just roll at one PSI?

I think i like these or the Terrene Elwoods

i am trying to decide if I buy some new tires for my Journeyman for my Unpaved Pennsylvania ride. I am worried about the Byways sliding out

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.