Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Full Hydraulic brakes on a long-distance AT excursion bike? Yea or Nay?

Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 05:36 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

After much searching, I am heartily considering the 2019 Trek 920.

It is odd that this particular bike has risen to the top of my list because violates three of my initial, deal-breaker requirements for an all-around/all-terrain/touring/brevet bike.

First: (and least important) The price range is a few hundred over my envisioned price range. Easy enough to get past if I'm gonna be hanging onto it for a long time

Second: I like triple rings. Always have. But the two ring set up on the Trek 920 seems like it covers the gearing ranges I need on the incline (especially with bike's relatively lighter overall weight and my continued weight loss)

Third.
Fully Hydraulic disc brakes (pardon me for burying the lead here). This is the biggest hurdle for me.

With mechanical rim brakes, and even with hybrid mechanical-hydraulic disc brakes, I am confident enough that I could jury rig a repair to get me home or to a repair shop.

But I would be SOL if I busted a hydraulic line or had some leak or malfunction with a master cylinder.

Are fully hydraulic brakes really as dependable as I've heard some describe?

Are they just smaller versions of motorcycle brake systems?

Anyone ever experience a catastrophic failure with full hydraulic brake system? If so, what caused it?

Here are the techs and specs for the Trek 920:
[edit: I do not yet have sufficient forum mojo to post links]

Thanks for any input, advice and/or shared experiences

AWJ
Old 05-12-19, 05:37 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

It is odd that this particular bike has risen to the top of my list because violates three of my initial, deal-breaker requirements for an all-around/all-terrain/touring/brevet bike.

First: (and least important) The price range is a few hundred over my envisioned price range. Easy enough to get past if I'm gonna be hanging onto it for a long time

Second: I like triple rings. Always have. But the two ring set up on the Trek 920 seems like it covers the gearing ranges I need on the incline (especially with bike's relatively lighter overall weight and my continued weight loss)

Third.
Fully Hydraulic disc brakes (pardon me for burying the lead here). This is the biggest hurdle for me.

With mechanical rim brakes, and even with hybrid mechanical-hydraulic disc brakes, I am confident enough that I could jury rig a repair to get me home or to a repair shop.

But I would be SOL if I busted a hydraulic line or had some leak or malfunction with a master cylinder.

Anyone ever experience a catastrophic failure with full hydraulic brake system? If so, what caused it?

AWJ
Old 05-12-19, 05:38 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Second: I like triple rings. Always have. But the two ring set up on the Trek 920 seems like it covers the gearing ranges I need on the more daunting inclines (especially with bike's Aluminum frame and fork, and my continued weight loss)

Third.

AWJ
Old 05-12-19, 05:39 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I think that this is my 11th post so maybe the link will work now:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...?colorCode=tan
Old 05-12-19, 06:45 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Merged your three threads into one.
Old 05-12-19, 07:15 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for merging.

I have no idea how I created three separate posts.. ? Possibly when I did something edits?
Old 05-12-19, 07:41 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
for riding brevets, I don't see anything wrong with hydraulic brakes. If you keep them serviced properly, that is. That bike might not be my first choice to tour Kyrgyzstan though.

The new Shimano GRX group looks really attractive for a disc randonneur, and it only comes with hydraulic brakes. That's one of my back burner projects. It might get promoted to front burner project if I ride another 600k in heavy rain

Last edited by unterhausen; 05-12-19 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-12-19, 07:49 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I've had Shimano Ultegra hydraulics and XT hydraulics (same caliper, BTW), and both have been rock-solid for many years (5 in the case of the road bike, more for the mountain bike).

BTW, Jury-rigging is a very serious felony. Jerry-rigging I think is what you mean.
Old 05-12-19, 07:51 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Jury rigging is literally* the new Jerry-rigging due to constant misuse.

*and literally is the new figuratively.
Old 05-12-19, 09:02 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Nope. Jury rigging is what I meant. Not Jury tampering, or jerry rigging.
Jury rigging is both a noun and a verb describing makeshift repairs made with only the tools and materials at hand.

Jury rigging is precisely what I meant.

The original phrase and has nothing to do with the justice system, it's nautical in origin.

Last edited by AllWeatherJeff; 05-12-19 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-12-19, 09:26 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Jury rigging is literally* the new Jerry-rigging due to constant misuse.

*and literally is the new figuratively.
You've got that exactly backwards.

Etymologically, jury-rig precedes jerry rigged by several centuries.
Old 05-13-19, 06:47 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

okay, sorry for derailing your thread, let's talk about your bike.

How much touring do you really expect to do with it?
Old 05-13-19, 07:25 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
okay, sorry for derailing your thread, let's talk about your bike.

How much touring do you really expect to do with it?
Hey, no problem. It's wouldn't be a forum worth taking part in if threads didn't sometimes go offline.

Short answer: I don't envision anything longer than 600k brevets (but who knows). 200k and 300k are my goals for the next year. As fort touring, we are moving back to California this year, and I plan to take full advantage of the 3 day bike-packing weekends over fire trails and gravelly back-country roads. Possibly even longer excursions once I get the feel for it.

Full confession. I have a Marin 29er with full hydraulic breaks. 4000+miles and still, no problems at all so far. However, I've never put that bike to the test. 75miles is the longest I've ever taken it, and mostly on paved urban and suburban surfaces. A handful of times I've ventured with it over the groomed gravel of the Perkiomen trail between Valley Forge and Green Lane, PA. But never out far out of reach of public transit, or a bike shop.

I like the idea of full hydraulics especially in an urban setting-- the stopping power is outstanding and often necessary at a moment's notice.

I really just haven't an adequate concept of what situations, conditions might arise in far-from-civilization settings that could compromise the hydraulics.
Old 05-13-19, 07:39 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think for usage like that I would have no reservations about using hydraulic brakes. Certainly for any brevet you might ride, properly set up and maintained hydraulic brakes pose no issue.

I feel like for an extended tour in South America or similar places, I probably would want to have mechanical brakes. I'm sure there are large swaths of the world where hydraulic brakes cannot be serviced, even in a large city. The other thing I would worry about is if the bike was going to be abused by baggage handlers. That can be controlled to a certain extent by packing, unless TSA decides they need to take a closer look.
Old 05-13-19, 07:45 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Failure, especially with Shimano's implementation, is rare. (I don't trust SRAM's version.) It is even more unlikely that you would have both fail one one ride. I've gone on tours with mine, reasoning that if my rear brake failed, I could live with it until I got to a shop, and if the front failed, I could re-route the longer rear hose and attached caliper to the front. (Most hydraulic cables are externally-routed and just attached with little zip-ties or other easy-to-remove guides.) But aside from changing pads and rotors more frequently than I would have liked, they have been maintenance-free.

If that is not enough to put your mind at ease, just think about what a typical mountain biker puts his or her bike through on any serious off-road venture. How often do you hear about hydraulic brake failure?
Old 05-13-19, 10:29 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by AllWeatherJeff
Etymologically, jury-rig precedes jerry rigged by several centuries.
Sorry, I clearly should have spent more time studying insects.

Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 05-13-19, 10:35 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't know if I monitor mtb online activity enough to see references to failures. I wonder what crazy guy on a bike has to say about touring failures. If you look at enough touring journals there you will eventually find that everything fails.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-13-19, 10:37 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Sorry, I clearly should have spent more time studying insects.

A firmer grasp of the English language would suffice in this instance.

And also a good dictionary.

I said Etymology not ENtomology (though I suspect you already knew this).

Last edited by AllWeatherJeff; 05-13-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-13-19, 10:42 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Failure, especially with Shimano's implementation, is rare. (I don't trust SRAM's version.) It is even more unlikely that you would have both fail one one ride. I've gone on tours with mine, reasoning that if my rear brake failed, I could live with it until I got to a shop, and if the front failed, I could re-route the longer rear hose and attached caliper to the front. (Most hydraulic cables are externally-routed and just attached with little zip-ties or other easy-to-remove guides.) But aside from changing pads and rotors more frequently than I would have liked, they have been maintenance-free.

If that is not enough to put your mind at ease, just think about what a typical mountain biker puts his or her bike through on any serious off-road venture. How often do you hear about hydraulic brake failure?
This is helpful. Thanks.

This is basically the p.o.v. that I've been leaning towards. I have likely watched too many video reviews in researching my next purchase. I hadn't really ever considered the Hydraulic vs. Hybird vs. Mechanincal debate until just a few weeks ago. Given the price range I'm now looking at, it seem worthwhile to get some more experienced input and opinions.

Last edited by AllWeatherJeff; 05-13-19 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-13-19, 11:48 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by AllWeatherJeff
though I suspect you already knew this
Old 05-13-19, 12:07 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

The bike I use for touring has hydraulic brakes and electronic shifting. I worry more about the latter, although it, too, has been fine. A bike I recently built up for multi-day off-road bike-packing has TRP hydraulic brakes* but mechanical shifting. I thought how well the brakes work when they are working should be the deciding factor; I think the likelihood of failure is sufficiently remote to warrant having the best stopping power available.

* These are the full hydraulic Hylex TRP brakes, not the HY/RD jerry-rigged compromise.

(Actually, the HY/RD might be the ideal compromise. They have cable actuation but hydraulic pistons that are self-contained.)

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 05-13-19 at 01:08 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-13-19, 01:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

there have been a number of reports of randonneurs that had electronic shifting failures because they ride too much and are too tired to keep the batteries charged. I was hoping to put etap on my travel bike, but now I'm confused because they went to 12 speed.
Old 05-13-19, 01:56 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I think for usage like that I would have no reservations about using hydraulic brakes. Certainly for any brevet you might ride, properly set up and maintained hydraulic brakes pose no issue.

I feel like for an extended tour in South America or similar places, I probably would want to have mechanical brakes. I'm sure there are large swaths of the world where hydraulic brakes cannot be serviced, even in a large city. The other thing I would worry about is if the bike was going to be abused by baggage handlers. That can be controlled to a certain extent by packing, unless TSA decides they need to take a closer look.
No plans at all to travel overseas with a bike. And only on the rarest of occasions do I fly. However, trains will be integral to my bikepacking itineraries once our western re-tranplantation is complete. I would not have thought to take baggage handling into consideration.

Thanks

Last edited by AllWeatherJeff; 05-14-19 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-13-19, 02:26 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
.... I was hoping to put etap on my travel bike, ....
I am not familiar with electronic shifting systems, are the Li Ion batteries easy to remove from the bike for air travel?
Old 05-13-19, 03:32 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I'm done buying bikes that don't have rim brakes and a triple, so there's my vote.
Likes For kingston:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.