Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Talking through a new commuter build

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Talking through a new commuter build

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-19, 02:56 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Why buy new? College towns/cities have tons of bike co-ops and she won't have to deal with the hassle of a theft annoying her. Also, the sunk cost (CO2 emissions have already been produced making the first bike).
I've got nothing against a used bike. I've been riding the same beater-commuter since I graduated college in 1992. I just came across that raleigh in my search and thought I'd share it here.
Old 05-13-19, 03:03 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I've got nothing against a used bike. I've been riding the same beater-commuter since I graduated college in 1992. I just came across that raleigh in my search and thought I'd share it here.
Over here, bike co-ops are also used as job training. Meaning that people wanting to enter the workforce gain valuable experience through the co-ops. Better than some nameless internet company not supporting the local community.
Old 05-13-19, 03:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
really? I don't think so, it's just another replica saddle.
OK maybe, but still, 20% of the cost of the bike in the saddle.
Old 05-13-19, 03:14 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

According to the Amazon reviews, everything about that raleigh tourist is super cheap. My daughter is moving off campus and needs a bike the last two years of college, so I've been looking for something in the disposable price range.
?? I didn't read every word, but all I'm seeing is many accounts of bad packaging and dented fenders and scratched paint.

Sturmey-Archer 3-speed should be rock solid, the "heron" chainring is guaranteed the best-looking crankset to be found on a $250 bike (although one reviewer says out of round enough to create tight spots while pedaling -- that could be an anomaly). Leather saddle is a big plus, that bike looks like a great bargain to me.
Old 05-13-19, 03:17 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Over here, bike co-ops are also used as job training. Meaning that people wanting to enter the workforce gain valuable experience through the co-ops. Better than some nameless internet company not supporting the local community.
We don't have any bike co-ops on the north-shore of Chicago. I'll probably just end up buying something off craigslist.
Old 05-13-19, 03:19 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by RubeRad
...that bike looks like a great bargain to me.
I agree. I've been searching for used bikes on CL and haven't found anything near that nice for under $250.
Old 05-13-19, 03:21 PM
acidfast7
Banned

We don't have any bike co-ops on the north-shore of Chicago. I'll probably just end up buying something off craigslist.
I'm not sure what to say except that's just sad all the way around. Not trying to be TOO negative, but not co-ops? And Craigslist where all the stolen bikes get sold :/

Last edited by acidfast7; 05-13-19 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 03:24 PM
acidfast7
Banned

OK maybe, but still, 20% of the cost of the bike in the saddle.
I doubt it's even real handmade leather.
Old 05-13-19, 03:25 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I doubt it's even real handmade leather.
Lab-grown then? That should be even more expensive
Old 05-13-19, 03:28 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I'm not sure what to say except that's just sad all the way around. Not trying to be TOO negative, but not co-ops? And Craigslist where all the stolen bikes get sold :/
San Diego is also very lacking in co-ops. The only one I know of is Bikes del Pueblo, which afaik has only a shipping container for 'permanent' storage, and exists really only when it shows up at farmer's markets.
Old 05-14-19, 01:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I think a cow grew it. It's "vintage leather" so probably a dairy cow and not a steak cow.

When you consider the price of beef and a bit of steel, it does look rather like Brooks has been ripping us off.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-14-19, 01:47 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Yah I have no awareness of the leather market; how suitable is beef/dairy cattle hide for leather? what percentage of slaughtered hide is sent into the leather industry?
Old 05-15-19, 12:50 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Lab-grown then? That should be even more expensive
Looks more like pleather to me.
Old 05-15-19, 07:03 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Yah I have no awareness of the leather market; how suitable is beef/dairy cattle hide for leather? what percentage of slaughtered hide is sent into the leather industry?
Is there a difference between beef and dairy cow leather?

I assume, and I emphasize ASSUME, that when a cow is slaughtered for beef they would keep the hide for leather because it has value.

Industry likes to avoid waste because it reduces profits. I would think that anything they can sell they would. (How It's Made on the Science Channel. Fascinating stuff. They show you how a manufacturing plant will find a buyer for as much of it's waste as it can to reduce costs. Sawdust from a a furniture factory, apple cores from a cider mill, you name it they'll find a use for it. )

I am pretty sure they don't keep the hide when they milk a dairy cow though.....I mean I'm not a farmer or anything....but yeah...
Old 05-15-19, 11:42 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
I would say it depends on how much stop and go you have to do in two miles. I mix up my short commute with a coasterbrake single speed every once in a while but I really hate dealing with traffic on a cruiser. For the most part I like having a disk brake at least on the back.
Old 05-20-19, 02:09 AM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
I had used an aluminum framed, fendered 3 speed IGH for several years rain or shine and it performed very well. I passed it down to one of my kids and picked a CL beater single speed that I wouldn't worry about if it got stolen as I would park it at the train station. It is one of those single speed "fixies" with the flip flop hub. I tried both hubs and wasn't talented enough to use it in the fixed position. Needless to say the very tall chainring really improved my riding.

I decided to stick with the look but wanted a brake so I ended up going backward and investing a little too much in the beater and got a 2 speed kick shift hub with coaster brake.

It still looks like crap but it's fun to ride and simple to operate. I like it better than the 3-speed. It just needs fenders. I am pretty sure it's not a Bridgestone but when I got it off CL, cheap and beater was the goal.

Likes For jskita:
Old 05-23-19, 04:15 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this thread. I've been obsessing about this build and finally bought some of the parts for it that I needed. I picked up a nice aluminum single speed frame from bikeisland that doesn't have too aggressive of geometry and a coaster brake wheelset from velomine that was a great deal; Shimano coaster hub laced to Sun CR18 rims. I sourced a chainguard from velo orange in polished aluminum that will compliment the other parts I'll be adding. I'll finish it off with some Shimano a530 dual spd/platform pedals for versatility in dress shoes or cleats. I think once I build it up, it will be a very light and nimble short-distance commuter. The gearing for the parts I have will be 44/18 to start, which I think should accommodate some of the minor hills on the commute. I haven't decided on handlebars yet.

I'll post pictures once I start assembly and try it out. I'm excited to see what it weighs in at when complete. I'm most looking forward to a bike I can just grab and ride in any clothing or any weather.
Likes For matimeo:
Old 05-23-19, 04:22 PM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Oh, chain guard, sounds like a nice build. Can't wait to see pics!
Old 05-23-19, 07:34 PM
travgott

Bikes: vintage raleigh, bbf retro, vintage gitane, trek antelope, steel is real

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
with such a short commute, just get a motorized razr scooter. those things are awesome! or even a pogo-stick

in all seriousness tho, any bike with fenders and that you don't mind getting stolen would be my humble advice. of course i'm also building up a commuter for a similarly short ride so i've no room to talk. have fun, and post some pics!
Old 05-24-19, 12:28 AM
JayNed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by travgott
with such a short commute, just get a motorized razr scooter. those things are awesome! or even a pogo-stick

in all seriousness tho, any bike with fenders and that you don't mind getting stolen would be my humble advice. of course i'm also building up a commuter for a similarly short ride so i've no room to talk. have fun, and post some pics!
Same here, I have a similarly short commute to take the kids to school and then off to work myself. For that kind of distance, basically any bike would do. Don't make it too complex to start off with. I've just bought myself an old rigid mountainbike in good condition and added some fenders. Rode it for a couple of weeks, then removed the bullhorn bars because a bit too bulky and mounted a flat bar, might just make a few other modifications in the near future. I'd say, let it grow on you :-)
Old 06-04-19, 10:31 AM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Single speed coaster brake commuter.

Well, here it is, just in need of some bar tape (and fenders when the rain returns) and I think it's complete. I was bummed when I tried to attach the velo orange chain guard and it was too long (ran into the frame in the back). I'm not sure what I'm going to do there, or maybe just stuff my pants in my sock and call it good.
The Shimano coaster brake has been a little finicky to get set up. It was making some awful rattling noises while coasting when I first mounted it, couldn't figure out why. Disassembled the whole thing and remounted and now it works fine. It has a little more drag than I would have hoped, but maybe it needs to get broken in a little more. Overall I'm pleased with the braking power and modulation in my limited test riding.
Also, riding clipless on a coaster isn't as bad as some have made it sound. I tend to unclip the foot that is in the upper position when stopping, and this doesn't work so well for getting started again, but it shouldn't take long to get the hang of it. I can ride on the platform side as well if needed.
I ended up throwing on the drop bars and stem I had lying around rather than buying something new. I like the way it rides and it's plenty upright for me.
Likes For matimeo:
Old 06-04-19, 11:01 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Very slick -- such a clean look with the coaster brake allowing absolutely no cables and empty bars
Old 06-04-19, 11:18 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by matimeo

Single speed coaster brake commuter.

I was bummed when I tried to attach the velo orange chain guard and it was too long (ran into the frame in the back). I'm not sure what I'm going to do there, or maybe just stuff my pants in my sock and call it good.
Why not just trim the end of the guard to fit? Is it not stamped metal or plastic?

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to use the piece you trimmed off as a template to drill & remount the hardware. A hacksaw or tin-snips, a marking pen, and a drill could probably get you sorted. Maybe a file or a bit of sandpaper for dressing any sharp edges.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-04-19, 02:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Why not just trim the end of the guard to fit? Is it not stamped metal or plastic?

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to use the piece you trimmed off as a template to drill & remount the hardware. A hacksaw or tin-snips, a marking pen, and a drill could probably get you sorted. Maybe a file or a bit of sandpaper for dressing any sharp edges.
It's aluminum.
Old 06-04-19, 02:22 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
That came together nicely!
Genesis 49:16-17

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.