Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Help with Wahoo purchase

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Help with Wahoo purchase

Old 03-24-19, 08:18 PM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Help with Wahoo purchase

Good Day Bike Friends,

I am looking at getting a Wahoo bike computer, specifically the Bolt. Here is what I am wanting it to do:
1. Good measurement of distance. I am right now just using the Strava app on my iPhone. It is reasonable compared to a mapping program like Ride With GPS when I map out a ride on the computer. Usually the difference is within a third of mile which I think is pretty good for a free app.
2. I am looking for something that has good live tracking in case my wife needs to see where I am at. Right now she uses the Find My Friends app, which is okay. But I want something better and that could be used with the Strava Beacon function.
3. I want something that doesn't drop rides. I have lost whole rides because Strava on my phone loses connectivity or the app just poops out or whatever.

For me getting reliable distances covered and not dropping whole sections of rides is the most important... with the live tracking second. If the head unit would display when I am starting a Strava segment that would be great.

I am "training" to ride some 100Ks this year, but I only care if I covered a segment faster in terms of time... or if I covered a route faster in terms of time. I really don't look at average speed. I don't go at segments every time either, just sometimes I put a little bit of effort in.

So with all that written. I only need the head unit right? I don't use a power meter or a HRM . I understand that there are "sensors" but those don't actually impact how far you went right? I mean the Wahoo is a GPS so it is connected to the satellites right?

And before anyone replies, yes I have looked at DC Rainmaker's website and GP Lama's YouTube, probably the two gurus of bike computers. But frankly they give so much information in their very in-depth reviews I am a bit overwhelmed.

Last edited by voyager1; 03-24-19 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-24-19, 09:52 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I don't use the Bolt but use the Elemnt. My results from the Elemnt:
1) The Elemnt tracks the distance very well.
2) Live tracking works good. My wife gets an email with a link to the ride which shows a map with my location.
3) I have 20,300 miles on my Elemnt. In that time I can only remember 2 times the gps did not record a portion of those rides.
You only need the head unit and I use a speed sensor and cadence sensor.
Old 03-24-19, 10:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by voyager1
I only need the head unit right? I don't use a power meter or a HRM . I understand that there are "sensors" but those don't actually impact how far you went right? I mean the Wahoo is a GPS so it is connected to the satellites right?
That's right. A power meter and heart monitor are cool fitness gadgets, but completely unrelated to your goal. They would just put extra data into your recording. Like of you had a thermometer, that might give a little more contract and background to your rides, and it might give you badass points. But it won't have any effect on how many miles you rode. That's how it is with all the sensors available except the speed one, which changes how your computer measures distance from GPS to wheel rotations.
Old 03-24-19, 10:44 PM
DPV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the bolt and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. To answer your questions/points of interest directly:

1. If distance is the most important thing for you I’d recommend getting the speed sensor that goes on your rear hub as the package deal, which should only be a modest increase in price. While the head unit alone will do the trick, from my understanding of how GPS units work the head unit will measure your path, but occasionally check with the speed sensor to address any gps drift that may occur over time and therefore maintain the highest accuracy, especially in areas of poor gps coverage such as tunnels or forested areas. I might be very wrong on this though, and would happily be corrected.

2. Strava beacon doesn’t work with wahoo, however the wahoo app does provide a link which can be shared, so anyone you send it to can view your current location and track. You can choose to make it a permanent link so it never changes, or have it expire within a certain timeframe. It works very well.

3. I’ve never had the bolt drop a ride, however once (very soon after a firmware update) I did have the unit restart during a ride. I waited by the side of the road for it to restart, and it was able to recover and resume my ride without loss of data.

​​​​​​​Hope this helps
Old 03-25-19, 08:17 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by DPV
I have the bolt and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. To answer your questions/points of interest directly:

1. If distance is the most important thing for you I’d recommend getting the speed sensor that goes on your rear hub as the package deal, which should only be a modest increase in price. While the head unit alone will do the trick, from my understanding of how GPS units work the head unit will measure your path, but occasionally check with the speed sensor to address any gps drift that may occur over time and therefore maintain the highest accuracy, especially in areas of poor gps coverage such as tunnels or forested areas. I might be very wrong on this though, and would happily be corrected.
Correct on the speed sensor information, though I'd say only get it if the GPS track as recorded is showing cut-offs at tight turns or errors due to dense tree coverage. I use my Garmin without speed sensors on 2 road bikes with no real loss of mileage. I do use the sensor when. mt. biking as it better tracks the really tight and twisty single track I ride. I also use it on my go fast carbon road bike as it reduces lag for indicated speed as compared to a GPS. That's useful for maintaining a steady speed in a group ride.
Old 03-25-19, 08:26 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
If the head unit would display when I am starting a Strava segment that would be great.
+1 on what everyone else said, the Bolt will do the things you want.

As far as live Strava segments, it will do that, as well, but you have to pay for one of the Strava Summit packages for that functionality: https://www.strava.com/summit/join
Old 03-26-19, 01:56 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I will agree with everything that's been said except for the Live Tracking. The Bolt is a GPS receiving device and does not transmit any location data. That function is done by the companion app on your phone using data streaming through your cellular service. Unless you have some portable battery chargers with you (for your phone) and have an unlimited data plan, using the Bolt's Live Tracking on very long rides may not be a good idea. You may want to consider a cycling app on your phone that sends an email at a designated distance or time interval for tracking and the Bolt for everything else.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-26-19, 02:19 PM
ksryder

Depends on the phone battery I guess. I used the Wahoo live tracking for 15+ hours during a gravel race last year and my phone was fine. What kills the battery on your phone is the screen being on more than anything else.
Old 03-26-19, 03:15 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I have a bolt, I'd recommend a cadence sensor. Does everything you mentioned. Wahoo support is really good. At about a year old mine started charging inconsistently. Wahoo sent me a new one.
Old 03-26-19, 07:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by John_V
I will agree with everything that's been said except for the Live Tracking. The Bolt is a GPS receiving device and does not transmit any location data. That function is done by the companion app on your phone using data streaming through your cellular service. Unless you have some portable battery chargers with you (for your phone) and have an unlimited data plan, using the Bolt's Live Tracking on very long rides may not be a good idea. You may want to consider a cycling app on your phone that sends an email at a designated distance or time interval for tracking and the Bolt for everything else.
AFAIK, the Wahoo Live Track feature works the same as Garmin in that the smartphone app pulls the location data from the device via a BlueTooth connection, with the app then updating the Wahoo/Garmin website(s). From there the track is viewable to whomever you linked. On a Garmin and with Live Track functioning, an e-mail with a Track link is sent to whomevers e-mail you provided.

Obviously for this to work, the phone needs cell data functional, so will use battery to keep that link active. I’ve never noticed that it drains my iPhone noticeably, but maybe on a long multi-hour day.
Old 03-27-19, 05:39 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

AFAIK, the Wahoo Live Track feature works the same as Garmin in that the smartphone app pulls the location data from the device via a BlueTooth connection, with the app then updating the Wahoo/Garmin website(s). From there the track is viewable to whomever you linked. On a Garmin and with Live Track functioning, an e-mail with a Track link is sent to whomevers e-mail you provided.

Obviously for this to work, the phone needs cell data functional, so will use battery to keep that link active. I’ve never noticed that it drains my iPhone noticeably, but maybe on a long multi-hour day.
You are correct! I posted with the assumption that everyone understood that the Bolt and the companion app had to be connected for Live Tracking to work. But since Live Tracking is done in real time, A cellular connection to Wahoo’s server has to be established and that means constant data streaming to the server. In my experimenting with Live Track on my Bolt, I found this unacceptable for my situation.

Before I got my Bolt, I was using my iPhone SE running Cyclemeter as my cycling app. The phone was connected to a Wahoo RFLKT to display my ride data without having to keep the phone’s screen turned on. I also had a Wahoo BlueSC and a Wahoo TICKR connected to the phone. I optimize my phone for battery life turning off notifications for all but a few apps and have only the cycling app running while riding. Each year, I do a cross state ride and used that setup to notify my wife of my location. As I mentioned, I have the app send an email every 20 miles. Using that combination, I was able to ride an entire day (usually 8 hours) without charging my phone along the way.

I purchased my Bolt after my RFLKT finally bit the bullet and started experimenting with the Live Track feature. Same phone, but the BlueSC was replaced by Wahoo RPM speed and cadence sensors. I normally ride 40-60 miles a day so I set up Live Track and did one of my normal 40 mile rides. I did the ride at the approximate speed as the cross state ride and that took about two and a half hours of ride time. At the end of my ride, my iPhone battery had a total of 24% battery life remaining. The next day, I did a 60 mile ride and my phone battery died before I was done. I repeated the 40 mile ride using the Bolt strictly as my computer and Cyclemeter as my tracking option. The companion app was not connected to the Bolt. At the end of that ride, I had 78% battery life remaining. That year, I used the combination of the Bolt and Cyclemeter on my cross state ride. The ride is broken up in two and a half days with the first day being 60 miles and 80 miles for the remaining two days. At the end of my 80 mile days, I had 44% and 46%, respectively, battery life remaining.

Yes, I document silly stuff like this just for S&Gs. And while other users may have received different results, I can only go by my personal experience. With that said, my experience tells me not to use the Live Track feature on very long rides unless you have spare battery chargers that can be recharged at the end of each day and an unlimited data plan for your phone. I do believe that the OP’s 100K rides falls into this category.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-27-19, 07:36 AM
ksryder

Originally Posted by ksryder
Depends on the phone battery I guess. I used the Wahoo live tracking for 15+ hours during a gravel race last year and my phone was fine. What kills the battery on your phone is the screen being on more than anything else.
It's fun to use singular anecdotes to support broad generalizations, isn't it?
Old 03-28-19, 05:36 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I have the Bolt and I use it without the speed sensor on my commuter bike and with the speed sensor on my road bike. The tracking comes out the same when I do the same rides. While it isn't a big deal to swap the speed sensor from one wheel to the other when I'm in a rush out the door going to work I don't bother. The only real difference is that without the sensor the speed reading is a little lagged.

I've never used the live track feature. Why do I want anybody to know where I am?
Old 03-28-19, 08:43 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by zacster
I have the Bolt and I use it without the speed sensor on my commuter bike and with the speed sensor on my road bike. The tracking comes out the same when I do the same rides. While it isn't a big deal to swap the speed sensor from one wheel to the other when I'm in a rush out the door going to work I don't bother. The only real difference is that without the sensor the speed reading is a little lagged.

I've never used the live track feature. Why do I want anybody to know where I am?
I use it on solo rides, it sends a link to my wife’s email. This way she knows where the device is during the period I’m supposed to be riding.
Old 04-01-19, 12:29 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How is it for following a pre-loaded route?
If I load a route I want to stay on, not recalculate if I miss a turn and send me on some new route.
Using a garmin edge touring, but it's become unreliable and the battery life isn't enough.
Thx
Old 04-01-19, 06:18 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by zowie
How is it for following a pre-loaded route?
If I load a route I want to stay on, not recalculate if I miss a turn and send me on some new route.
Using a garmin edge touring, but it's become unreliable and the battery life isn't enough.
Thx
The older Edge Touring models sucked.

the Elemnt/Bolt series are terrific at using a route created on RideWithGPS, then displaying turn-by-turn directions. I personally think the TBT screen as well as maps are superior on Garmin devices, but Wahoos are fine as well.

As note, pretty much no cycling GPS device is good at re-routing you if you get off course.
Old 04-02-19, 01:43 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thx for the response. The Touring was discounted a few years ago and really wasn't bad until lately.

What I want is to NOT be rerouted when I go off course. I want to backtrack and go back to the course. If it won't take me back that's ok as long as it doesn't start redrawing the course on me..
Old 04-11-19, 01:59 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I bought a Bolt late last year. I'm pretty happy with it. I can send a Live Tracking link via email or text (i usually use text message) to a buddy so if my little blue dot stays in the same location for hours on end, he's to notify someone. plus to rub in the fact that he flaked once again on another fun adventure ride. lol

I use Strava (mainly for the social aspect and looking at numbers later), and i had the premium plan gifted to me, but i prefer Ride With GPS for it's free route building feature. I will not re-up once the subscription expires. And I get turn by turn notifications on my Bolt from the preloaded RWGPS route.

I bought the speed and cadence sensors mainly because i read the speed sensor helps the accuracy of the head unit, though it seemed to work fine without it too.

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 04-19-19, 07:11 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
Thx for the response. The Touring was discounted a few years ago and really wasn't bad until lately.

What I want is to NOT be rerouted when I go off course. I want to backtrack and go back to the course. If it won't take me back that's ok as long as it doesn't start redrawing the course on me..
Sounds like the Wahoo units will do exactly what you want, almost too well sometimes. If you go off course, it just complains once or twice then shuts up, but the maps still work and I think it will still show a breadcrumb trail so you can manually backtrack. But some of the other displays (e.g. elevation profile, list of turns, miles remaining, etc) will show nonsense until you're back on route. If you do want to rejoin your route somewhere further along, then you can use the companion app to help route you there, then reload the original route once you're back on track. If all goes well you should be able to do all this without losing your overall ride track and stats. In theory anyway.

The biggest weakness of the Wahoos, IMHO, is you can't scroll the map around to figure out how best to join back up with the route. You can zoom out a bit, but it's very limited and it stops rendering smaller roads as the coverage area increases. You have to get your phone out, figure out the best route, then hope you remember all the turns. Or you can use the companion app to reprogram the route, but I've been wary of making changes to the routing on the fly as I've managed to wedge my ELEMNT a couple of times when messing with the routing. So after getting burned pretty badly once and nearly getting stuck without navigation in an unfamiliar area, I only use it in emergencies (e.g. you need to abort and find a short route back home).
Old 04-19-19, 09:43 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Good Day Bike Friends,

I am looking at getting a Wahoo bike computer, specifically the Bolt. Here is what I am wanting it to do:
1. Good measurement of distance. I am right now just using the Strava app on my iPhone. It is reasonable compared to a mapping program like Ride With GPS when I map out a ride on the computer. Usually the difference is within a third of mile which I think is pretty good for a free app.
2. I am looking for something that has good live tracking in case my wife needs to see where I am at. Right now she uses the Find My Friends app, which is okay. But I want something better and that could be used with the Strava Beacon function.
3. I want something that doesn't drop rides. I have lost whole rides because Strava on my phone loses connectivity or the app just poops out or whatever.

For me getting reliable distances covered and not dropping whole sections of rides is the most important... with the live tracking second. If the head unit would display when I am starting a Strava segment that would be great.

I am "training" to ride some 100Ks this year, but I only care if I covered a segment faster in terms of time... or if I covered a route faster in terms of time. I really don't look at average speed. I don't go at segments every time either, just sometimes I put a little bit of effort in.

So with all that written. I only need the head unit right? I don't use a power meter or a HRM . I understand that there are "sensors" but those don't actually impact how far you went right? I mean the Wahoo is a GPS so it is connected to the satellites right?

And before anyone replies, yes I have looked at DC Rainmaker's website and GP Lama's YouTube, probably the two gurus of bike computers. But frankly they give so much information in their very in-depth reviews I am a bit overwhelmed.
The Bolt/Elemnt will work great for this. However, I do think that *all* of the bike computer tracking capabilities sort of add an additional level of complexity to this that compromises their use. Find my Friends actually works pretty well. There are any number of other tracking apps that work well too. RoadID has one that actually will do "stationary alert" for you like if you had a crash or breakdown.

The problem, as I see it, with the bike computer tracking capability is that it depends on your phone anyhow. That means you add another level of things to go wrong because if you have a problem with the computer to phone connection, then you lose the tracking. Since it's a bluetooth connection, it's going to have all the idiosyncrasies of that plus if you move too far away from the bike, you'll also lose the connection. So if your wife wants to know where you are, then do it though the phone and keep the phone on your person. For what it's worth, Find My Friends works very well and also has a minimal to zero impact on battery life on the phone.

RoadID app is available on both Apple App store and Google Play.

FWIW, if you are concerned with accuracy in distance on the head unit, then you should get a speed sensor. Here's a good article that explains it.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...s-lies-to-you/

Otherwise, you can upload to Strava and tell it to correct the distance.

J.
Old 05-14-19, 08:48 PM
voyager1

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the information, I picked up the Wahoo last week (got the Bolt).

I am looking at the mounts. Is there any real advantages of using out front over the stem? I am on a road bike.

I picked up a head cold last week as well and almost over it as I write this... very excited to try the Wahoo out.

Last edited by voyager1; 05-14-19 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 02:28 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Is there any real advantages of using out front over the stem? I am on a road bike.
Yes. You don't have to bend your head as much to see it. That's especially useful when riding in the drops. (Use what you want.)
Old 05-15-19, 06:45 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Yes. You don't have to bend your head as much to see it. That's especially useful when riding in the drops. (Use what you want.)
The out front mount also frees up some handlebar space for other accessories (lights, etc.) The main downside is it will interfere with handlebar bags, but handlebar bags interfere with a lot of things anyway.
Old 05-15-19, 07:49 AM
voyager1

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sounds like the out front is the way to go. Thanks folks!
Old 05-16-19, 02:13 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I put the out front on my road bike and the bar top on my commuter bike and I take the computer on every ride whichever bike I'm on. As silly as it sounds, even to me sometimes, I also always wear my HR monitor on my commutes.