Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading XLIX

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 10:32 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Yeah, from where I start to where Mission St. turns onto Greenspot is less than 4 miles if you head straight up Greenspot. Added bonus, I think I saw half a dozen cars during that whole squiggly bit, and my stopped time for the whole ride was something like 25 seconds.
Old 05-16-19, 12:40 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I'm not necessarily anti-potato... and for sure, breakfast burrito (best food on the planet!) has potatoes, just didn't see the french fry / california connection.

In other interesting California related news, I heard avocados were classified as "non-vegan" because of bee abuse. That's right, because somebody brings hives full of bees to avocado orchards, it's animal abuse. YEAH BABY, MORE FOR ME!
Old 05-16-19, 02:35 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
good commentary read from his BWR

https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/2019/05/06/bwr-dnf/

“This isn’t going to be so bad,” I lied to myself. “It’s going to be over pretty soon,” I lied to myself. “The BWR isn’t as hard as I remembered,” I lied to myself.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.

Last edited by jsigone; 05-16-19 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 03:06 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm not necessarily anti-potato... and for sure, breakfast burrito (best food on the planet!) has potatoes, just didn't see the french fry / california connection.

In other interesting California related news, I heard avocados were classified as "non-vegan" because of bee abuse. That's right, because somebody brings hives full of bees to avocado orchards, it's animal abuse. YEAH BABY, MORE FOR ME!
I like potatoes, just a problem with trying to eat low carb. Yes breakfast burritos are the best. We have a great local place for them here in Lake Forest, and yeah, they’ve got hash browns in them.

I love the thing about bees. Some people just don’t have enough problems so they have to make them up. More for me too!
Old 05-16-19, 10:27 PM
jimincalif

Sometimes I get lucky. Landed here in Boise, off the plane, to the rental car counter. We’d reserved a RAV 4 or similar small SUV. Turns out the closest thing they had on the lot was a brand new Infinity QX60 with 300 miles on the clock. So we’re rolling in luxury for four days for a total of $125!
Old 05-17-19, 07:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
95 mile overnighter tomorrow. Training for June, so I will carry things like cold/wet weather gear that I won't need this weekend.

This is day 2 of my June trip:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30007721?beta=false

That long climb is 16 miles, 15 of which are unpaved with no services. Scary. At least the descent is paved. The ID side is supposed to be beautiful and quiet.
Old 05-17-19, 08:55 AM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by indyfabz
95 mile overnighter tomorrow. Training for June, so I will carry things like cold/wet weather gear that I won't need this weekend.

This is day 2 of my June trip:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30007721?beta=false

That long climb is 16 miles, 15 of which are unpaved with no services. Scary. At least the descent is paved. The ID side is supposed to be beautiful and quiet.
Sounds like an adventure. I hope the weather cooperates for you. I’m in the Boise area right now, it is raining, supposed to rain all day today, dry tomorrow and rain again all day Sunday.
Old 05-17-19, 09:18 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jimincalif
Sounds like an adventure. I hope the weather cooperates for you. I’m in the Boise area right now, it is raining, supposed to rain all day today, dry tomorrow and rain again all day Sunday.
Thanks. It's going to be fine. Around 80 tomorrow. Sunday could get up to 85. I was going to make it three days, but there could be t-storms this afternoon and evening. There is no picnic shelter where I am going (campground pet peeve of mine), so storms can get in the way of cooking dinner.

We have been having a rainy stretch here in Philly. At one point it rained 9 out of 10 days. I was supposed to do this trip last weekend, but rain was supposed to start around 7 p.m. Saturday and continue through most of the day Sunday. That's exactly what happened. Sunday was absolutely miserable. High was only 50, and it was rainy and windy most of the day.
Old 05-18-19, 10:53 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Ah she looks fast again, great for coffee shop posing. New Reynolds AR58 roll so smooth
Likes For jsigone:
Old 05-20-19, 12:12 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

That's a damn fine looking bike if I do say so myself...
Old 05-25-19, 07:38 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts

Sold other wheels today!

used my wheel funds to buy another set of Ultegra pedals which I think are extremely well priced. $119 at Jax Bicycles. Everywhere else I looked they were $199! So if you are in market for Ultegra pedals
Old 05-28-19, 12:34 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I found a garmin 830 for $319 at westernbikeworks.com It was marked on sale at 367 or something but when I put it in my card on a whim, it dropped to 319, so I bought it. Backordered till tomorrow, hope I don't get hosed out of a screaming deal.

It navigates, which my 520 sucks at, so that's the reason for the upgrade.
Old 05-28-19, 02:19 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

were you following people or the route slip for the Solvang Double? Going to do the Autumn version?
Old 05-28-19, 02:41 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by jsigone
were you following people or the route slip for the Solvang Double? Going to do the Autumn version?
I can't do route slips for whatever reason, so I had the route programmed in my garmin, which although sucky is adequate (basically reduces me to looking at a top view of the map with the route drawn on it... no turn by turn)

That and people.

Not sure about the fall version, I'll have to look into that. It'd be a lot more fun if it weren't as miserable.
Old 05-28-19, 03:32 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

it only took 112 miles to be mess miserable Rain stopped right before lunch sag and pretty much stayed that way.
Old 05-28-19, 05:21 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I can't do route slips for whatever reason, so I had the route programmed in my garmin, which although sucky is adequate (basically reduces me to looking at a top view of the map with the route drawn on it... no turn by turn)

That and people.

Not sure about the fall version, I'll have to look into that. It'd be a lot more fun if it weren't as miserable.
I too can't read/view route slips while riding. I like to put routes on my Garmin ahead of time. My 500 would do turn by turn if I downloaded the TCX route from RidewithGPS which you could only do if you had premium. I now don't have premium and export TCX file to my computer and then put it on my 820. If using for navigation on a long route, I now carry a small USB charger, and short chord that reaches Garmin. I used on Paul Hulse Century (Santa Clarita to Ventura and back) and was using to navigate and late in day the Garmin said it was low battery. Plugged it into the charger and kept it running. At end of ride, when I shut off Garmin it had 100% charge. I have two of these small chargers "just in case".
Old 05-28-19, 08:10 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
Ah she looks fast again, great for coffee shop posing. New Reynolds AR58 roll so smooth
Damn.

Those are some DEEP wheels. Looks good!!

I managed to bust up my right knee again riding a week ago Sunday. About 70% of the way thru' the ride after the steep climb and a fast flat-ish stretch is started hurting.. Luckily, I'm 4000 miles from the bike again too, but it was tweaky yesterday even keeping my heart rate so low I thought I had died and doing the 1000' in 20 miles flat ride.
Old 05-28-19, 08:13 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I found a garmin 830 for $319 at westernbikeworks.com It was marked on sale at 367 or something but when I put it in my card on a whim, it dropped to 319, so I bought it. Backordered till tomorrow, hope I don't get hosed out of a screaming deal.

It navigates, which my 520 sucks at, so that's the reason for the upgrade.
That's ... way cheap for the new 830! I have a 530 on order to remind me to eat and drink.
Old 05-29-19, 11:22 AM
indyfabz

Sometime last year the wireless computer on my touring bike stopped working. Assumed it was the transmitter battery because the unit itself has a strong display. I am not a mileage recorder junkie, so it didn't bother me. Finally got around to buying a replacement battery on Monday in preparation for next month's tour. Installed the new battery. Still no signal. Then came the face palm moment. I realized the transmitter had somehow gotten rotated 180 degrees. The side that is supposed to face the spoke magnet was facing away from the wheel. I'm getting too old for this ****.
Old 05-29-19, 12:30 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by expatbrit
Damn.

Those are some DEEP wheels. Looks good!!
it's for the extra poser points, at least the bike looks faster than the rider these are 58s, the mavic carbones I broke were 56s. I like the look of these better and ride comfort is two thumbs up

When I started have weird knee pains, was due to me cleats being old and out of position. Bought new cleats day before a double and guess I got it right otherwise it would have really sucked more than needed.
Old 05-29-19, 01:27 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I too can't read/view route slips while riding. I like to put routes on my Garmin ahead of time. My 500 would do turn by turn if I downloaded the TCX route from RidewithGPS which you could only do if you had premium. I now don't have premium and export TCX file to my computer and then put it on my 820. If using for navigation on a long route, I now carry a small USB charger, and short chord that reaches Garmin. I used on Paul Hulse Century (Santa Clarita to Ventura and back) and was using to navigate and late in day the Garmin said it was low battery. Plugged it into the charger and kept it running. At end of ride, when I shut off Garmin it had 100% charge. I have two of these small chargers "just in case".
I just can't read the damn route slips, especially if the light is bad and/or I have sunglasses on. Same with my 520 nav... can't read it in dim light, works OK in broad daylight. No turn popups, which is what I'm really looking forward to from the 830. And that new hill feature of course.

@jsigone - great poseur cred, I need to ramp it up. Did you have those wheels on at Solvang? or no, you use the stock, heavy fulcrums didn't you.

48s look scrawny by comparison:
Old 05-29-19, 01:28 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Went for a ride in Redondo last night. I forgot how much I hate all the stop signs in that damn town. Ventured into PV and forgot how much I hate traffic at night. I didn't get down to the beach bike path or I probably would have remembered how much I hate that thing too.
Old 05-29-19, 04:38 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

48's are ideal, to bad they dis continued that line up after a decade... figures right. Only 41mm, 58, 62 flavors now, all wide outer dimensions.
Old 05-29-19, 05:31 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Hey I forgot to sub to carbo loading for a few months.

Anything happen while I was gone?
Old 05-30-19, 10:20 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

nope been raining so slow reports on here. Rain doesn't help my laziness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.