Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Diabetics?

Old 05-22-19, 03:29 PM
oldfatboy

Bikes: Trek Verve 3, Schwinn Mountain Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Diabetics?

I'm getting back into riding after a long absence but have type 2 diabetes and neuropathy.
I'm curious if there are others here that are diabetic and if so, how you manage blood sugar and insulin.
I just do road biking and don't know where my feet are all the time so have to keep looking at them At times, toes are on pedals, and at times, my heels are on the pedals. I'm looking at different pedals and also clips.
Any way, just curious
Old 05-22-19, 03:43 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Applause to you for investing in your health. Keep on, brother. You're far from alone.
Old 05-22-19, 03:59 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Just want to say that a diabetic rider completed the Race Across America last year SOLO. Impressive to say the least ... your ceiling is high.

Old 05-22-19, 04:26 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
Type 2 here also.

I'm on 2,000 milligrams of Metformin a day. So far no insulin or nerve issues. I try to eat plant based as much as possible (with varying degrees of success), go to the gym to lift and hit the cardio machines, and of course ride my road and mtn bikes.
Old 05-22-19, 05:28 PM
oldfatboy

Originally Posted by Biker395
Just want to say that a diabetic rider completed the Race Across America last year SOLO. Impressive to say the least ... your ceiling is high.
Wow! That is amazing.
Old 05-22-19, 05:31 PM
oldfatboy

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Type 2 here also.

I'm on 2,000 milligrams of Metformin a day. So far no insulin or nerve issues. I try to eat plant based as much as possible (with varying degrees of success), go to the gym to lift and hit the cardio machines, and of course ride my road and mtn bikes.
I take Metformin also. I'd love to get off it, but at the same time, insulin is rather high priced
Old 05-22-19, 07:06 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
Type 2 here also.

Originally Posted by oldfatboy
I take Metformin also. I'd love to get off it, but at the same time, insulin is rather high priced
I'm on 1,700mg/day of Metformin, BUT as part of my Prostate Cancer treatment protocol. Life sentence for me.
Old 05-22-19, 07:37 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I'm getting back into riding after a long absence but have type 2 diabetes and neuropathy.

I'm curious if there are others here that are diabetic and if so, how you manage blood sugar and insulin.

I just do road biking and don't know where my feet are all the time so have to keep looking at them At times, toes are on pedals, and at times, my heels are on the pedals. I'm looking at different pedals and also clips.

Any way, just curious
Type 2 here. I am supposed to be on Metformin but can manage with diet.

Use clipless pedals if you are riding for exercise. If you get SPD pedals they make walkable shoes but most are not what you would want to wear around the office all day. Set them up on the loosest settings at first until you get used to them.

Some things to think about when managing diabetes and riding -

1. Because we pee alot more than non-diabetics intake of electrolytes is very important. If you drink water only all the electrolytes get flushed out of your system when you pee and if you don't replace them you will have a difficult time focusing, muscles wont work properly and you can get dizzy and pass out even (Dont ask how I know that) There is a sugar free (Stevia Sweetened) electrolyte powder called ultima available on Amazon. Give it a try. It'll make a huge difference and help with your alertness and focus as you ride. Electrolytes are the electricity our bodies need for brain and muscle function.

2. Diet matters. Cutting carbs is a huge gain. My wife doesn't eat any carbs and I try to eat very little. If I am riding I will eat what my body can process in an hour and eat small amounts lots of times. Try to stay away from the sugary carbs (watch out for gels and such..if you must consume them in small doses) cause they shut me down but usually protein bars with some carbs do really well. Natural carbs in fruits are also really good for you and easy for your body to process.

3. It's really hard to get started and stick with it so make a plan. Write it down. If you don't then you can't make yourself feel guilty about not going and eventually it will fade away.

Originally Posted by Biker395

https://www.teamnovonordisk.com/teams/pro-team - I think that all members on this team are Type 1 diabetics

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I'm on 1,700mg/day of Metformin, BUT as part of my Prostate Cancer treatment protocol. Life sentence for me.

We all have a life sentence. Every day matters - To others... don't take it for-granted, tell your loved ones you love them. Turn off the TV and talk to them. Enjoy the sunshine. Smell the flowers. Live every day that you can.

-Sean
Old 05-23-19, 11:58 AM
oldfatboy

Sean, very interesting. Thanks
Will order the ultima, but have been using gatorade..not lots, but have it.

Also learning, trying to get info, on those on insulin and how they deal with that. I've been giving myself 3 - 5 units before riding depending on blood sugar before leaving, and to have in my system while riding. Then check blood sugar again after my riding.
Being 205 lb now, and just getting back on my bike, my rides are short, less than 22 miles, then a day or two off for muscles to recover.
I'm basically learning as I go. With diabetes, neuropathy, arthritis, and some heart conditions, it's a slow process

Thanks to all you for your input! Much appreciated.
Old 05-23-19, 10:21 PM
rseeker

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I've been giving myself 3 - 5 units before riding depending on blood sugar before leaving, and to have in my system while riding.
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of insulin is that? And how does your blood sugar typically change by the end of the ride? And are you riding flats or hills?
Old 05-24-19, 07:53 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I just went to see my nutritionist for my type 2. I am trying to lose 100lbs over the next year. My doctor recommended that I reduce my fast acting insulin by 10 units when commuting. My commute distance is 13 miles one way. Carrying a soda, gels, and snacks for lows. She also recommends that I reduce my fast acting insulin by 5 units when I consume less carbs. This is my first week on this. I use Novolin N and R insulin. R is the fast acting insulin. I'm taking 2000 MG of metformin a day. I can also have a protein snack.
Old 05-24-19, 08:54 AM
oldfatboy

Originally Posted by rseeker
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of insulin is that? And how does your blood sugar typically change by the end of the ride? And are you riding flats or hills?
I take Lantus SoloStar which works for 24 hours.
Since I've just started riding, I've noticed an increase of around 5 to 10 points of blood sugar. Most of my testing has been while working on my rowing machine. On it, my b.s. would rise anywhere between 3 and 20 points. Strange, but that's what happens. Don't know why the difference.

I don't know, but it seems my pancreas doesn't produce/inject insulin at all, hence the rise in b.s. whenever I'm active.
I take the small amount of lantus just to have insulin in my body to work with the b.s.

I just do short trips of road riding.
Likes For oldfatboy:
Old 05-24-19, 09:25 AM
oldfatboy

Originally Posted by alloo
I just went to see my nutritionist for my type 2. I am trying to lose 100lbs over the next year. My doctor recommended that I reduce my fast acting insulin by 10 units when commuting. My commute distance is 13 miles one way. Carrying a soda, gels, and snacks for lows. She also recommends that I reduce my fast acting insulin by 5 units when I consume less carbs. This is my first week on this. I use Novolin N and R insulin. R is the fast acting insulin. I'm taking 2000 MG of metformin a day. I can also have a protein snack.
Congrats on the commuting and desire to lose the weight. Due to different conditions, I haven't been very active, and therefore, not much strength or stamina. I've always loved biking and unicycling, so I'm doing some biking to get some exercise. I also have a rowing machine that I've tried to use during winter.

When I was even 40 lb heavier, my doctor gave me a prescription for Novolog. I take a little of that if I eat more than planned and can't be covered with the lantus. Generally, that's 10 units or less. I also take the same amount of metformin.
Old 05-24-19, 09:16 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I've been a Type II for about ten years and it hasn't really affected my cycling. Now, advancing age, that's another issue. I take meds twice a day and insulin in the evening before bed. When I ride, if longer than several hours, I make sure I take a few snacks in a jersey pocket. And water. Haven't ever used electrolytes, but I sure do drink a lot when I get back.

On my feet, I've always ridden with toe clips in the old days and went clipless when they became available. My shoes are pretty tight, so I don't really notice any foot pain. I can't ride if I'm not clipped in, so I really don't need to worry about where my foot is on a pedal.
Old 05-24-19, 09:50 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Any way, just curious
I am a Type2 diabetic. I was diagnosed with diabetes 30 years ago and, much to my regret, I did not take my diagnosis seriously until the last ten years. As a consequence my coronary arteries are in bad shape...I have seven coronary stents to prove. But enoughof that.

The first thing that you need to do is to find a good diabetes doctor and a good diabetes coach. It is great that you are reaching out in this forum, but all that we can offer you is the benefit of what we are doing. That is fine and dandy but every diabetic situation is different and requires a different plan of attack. For example you have developed neuropathy, as badly as I managed my diabetes, I have not even the smallest sign of neuropathy. My coronary arteries, however, are shot to hell. See, all diabetics are not created equal and not all diabetic plans are equal.

My diabetes is finally under control, my A1c numbers are super low. For me a near-vegan diet (I know that sounds like a copout, it isn’t), with lots of fresh fruit, nuts, legumes, vegetables has helped. I take Trulicity once a week and that helps. I also wear a constant glucose monitor CGM made by Dexcom. With it, I get real time readouts on my BG. I can see the direct correlation between what I put in my mouth and my BG levels. I can also see how exercise impacts my BG levels. A blood test (pricking your finger) only gives you a picture of what is going on at the moment of the finger prick. The CGM is a moving pucture of your BG. I suggest that you and your doctor look into it.

Finally keep doing what you are doing, exercise opens the pathways that allow your body’s cells to use the insulin that your body makes. I ride more than 5K miles a year, climbing hills and generally acting like a kid with a new bike.

Diabetes is a serious disease and a very insidious one...on the outside you look fine to others. In the inside uncontrolled BG is messing with all of your systems. But diabetes does not have to cripple you or stop you from enjoying a full life.

There is a Pro Cycling team made of diabetic cyclists. The story of Team Novo Nordisk and their riders is awe-inspring. I saw them racing in this year’s Amgen Tour of California and the sight of diabetic riders just like me (well, younger and fitter) racing with the likes of Peter Sagan brought tears to this old guy. Please PM if you would like more info. Ride safely Ride Strong.

Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 05-25-19, 09:22 AM
oldfatboy

eja_ bottecchia,
thank you for your time and response along with the others. Greatly appreciated.
I've had my A1C down to 6.4, but my last test was higher which really irritated me.

Yes, the pro team was mentioned above and when I read it, I got the link and subscribed, so I'm following them

Rode 20 miles yesterday after I raised my seat almost and inch, which is my longest ride in the past 12 or 13 years, whenever I found out I was diabetic, and after the ride my bs was 110. I was quite happy with that. I'll rest for the weekend and let my body repair.
Old 05-30-19, 10:17 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I commend you for your decision to take control of your health. I’m 62, Type 1 for 33 years. For me, I leave the house with 175-200 blood sugar and ride hard. Endurance isnt my body type though I did a solo century 8 years ago. If after a strenuous ride you find your numbers a bit high, that’s a stress hormone released called Cortisol. I need to study more about it and how my body responds but it usually shows up after any ride that I go all out on.

I wish you the best! Godspeed!
Old 05-30-19, 11:38 PM
oldfatboy

OldsCOOL, thanks for your post!
lol, there's not a lot of ride hard in me. I'm trying to ride longer distance with some slight inclines/hills to gain some stamina along with some muscle building in my legs. I was able to ride 20 miles last week. lol, been a number of years since I did that Just learning how much time to let my body rest between rides.
Do you have neuropathy? It's getting worse in my feet. At times, don't feel the pedals, then look down and I'm pedaling on my heels. Will have to change pedals some time.
I generally go out with blood sugar between 80 and 110. That's basically because I prefer going out early in the mornings. Here, at that time, temps are high 30's to mid 40's. I carry drinks and couple sweets but don't know if I really need to. Most my legs can do is about 2 hrs of riding, then they're done. But I'll still carry something any way.

I'm glad for different suggestions. Everybody is different, but can learn from different ideas or modus operandi.

Godspeed!
Old 05-31-19, 03:45 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Type 2 sufferer here....

My diabetes is controlled by food.....just.

If I am careful about what and how I eat, I get away with not using and insulin.

What I have noticed is, that what I eat can drastically affect my performance on the bike. I am not a fast rider, I can cycle 50 miles reasonably comfortably. But, if I have not been eating "well" when I go out, I can be blowing out my ass in only a few short miles.

Well done for not letting this illness get in your way of going out. Keep the legs spinning buddy!!!
Old 05-31-19, 04:43 PM
2metalhips

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I would suggest looking into masteringdiabetes.org for the latest science and evidence based research regarding diabetes, diet, lifestyle, and treatment.
Likes For 2metalhips:
Old 05-31-19, 05:06 PM
oldfatboy

Gerry221, thanks for your post.
And congrats on not needing insulin. I know one lady that was able to do the same for about 20 yrs.
Old 06-01-19, 05:17 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
L Ron Hubbard?
Old 06-01-19, 06:23 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
My short and long term insulin has been reduced dramatically by my endochronologist after a week on my diet which is mainly vegatables and meat. My endochronologist stated that I might not need the short term insulin if my blood sugars stay low and I continue commuting and my diet. Blood sugars are in the 70-100.
Old 06-01-19, 12:09 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
I assume I'm lucky in that I'm Type 2, on 1000 of Metformin a day, my A1C has been between 5.4 and 6.1 for 3 years and I can generally maintain my blood sugar around 120-140. My doctors OK with that for now. I do cycle 2500 miles a year but need to lose 40 lbs. Biggest issue is the neuropathy in the feet, complicated by a bulged disc that masks any diabetic symptoms, so I have to watch this.

I've not had it affect my cycling as yet, knock, knock and the feet are holding up.
Old 06-01-19, 01:36 PM
oldfatboy

alloo,
good work.
Do you do anything different with your insulin for riding? Any precautions?

fwiw, I lost 35 - 40lb and with diet change, dropped my insulin intake about 65%
I take lantus solostar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.