Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last TV series you watched

Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last TV series you watched

Old 04-29-19, 06:37 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2813 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
been revisiting Andromeda 5/10 - kinda lame, but Lexa Doig is smokin'
Very lame...as a sci-fi. Definitely more of a spin-off of Star Wars than Star Trek. Although Dylon certainly shares Kirk's penchant for the ladies.
Old 04-30-19, 11:57 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by trsidn View Post
I recently got to see the episode "Home"... It never reran after the initial showing. It was kinda grim, but nowhere near as disturbing as I had been led to believe. Maybe I've just become more jaded in the 20 years in between...
Oh man. That episode scared the CRAP outta of me. I was watching it with friends. Light off, of course. And man. Creeped the hell out of me. I don't even know if I'd have the stones to watch it again. Maybe during the day. At noon. With all of the lights on. And holding my cat for protection.
Old 05-03-19, 12:32 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Started watching Black Mirror on Netflix. I'm beginning with the 4th season. I like it so far. The stories sit just on the edge of our possible tech future so it seems somewhat plausible.
Old 05-04-19, 08:04 AM
KraneXL

What I hate about TV cop shows is all the automatic weapon shooting and nobody hardly gets shot. Maybe one of two criminals in the end. Its just so ludicrous. How can you guys stand to watch it?
Old 05-06-19, 12:38 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ballers - 8/10 cool stories and scenery w/ some seriously understated black humor. The Rock is the smooth operator and Rob Corddry is... well, kind of like Michael Scott. They are partners in a financial management/sports agency gig in Miami. A little of Rob Corddry goes a long way. Toby from West Wing is the billionaire boss funding them. Cameos from actual athletes are fun.
Old 05-12-19, 05:18 PM
CalDan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Club De Cuervos 6/10
Old 05-18-19, 03:08 AM
KraneXL

Andromeda: A barely tolerable pseudoscience-fiction

Andromeda 5/10

Watched the show originally and gave up on it by the end of season one. Went back to watch it a second time because I had nothing better to do. That probably sums it up in terms of content.

Although the characters are believable enough, they unfortunately suffer from poor stories with huge glitches and gaps in continuity and flow. Characters are present in one scene, then instantly appear in the next with no logical transition from one to the other of how they got there.

There is also a lack of decent special effects. In fact, the CG of the Andromeda is early video game reminiscent, and the Sid and Marty Krofft blue screen effect is not much better. It is by far one of the worst special effects and CG space scenes in the history of television. It reminded me of a child's crayon drawing of his house and family.

Because it’s created by Gene Roddenberry it’s expected to be a sci-fi. But because it explains almost nothing relating to science, it ends up being closer to a fantasy than anything relating to science fiction.

On the other hand, all the women are gorgeous; and Dylan does spend half his time bedding every local alien females he meets (between his commitments to restoring the Common Wealth, of course). So in that aspect, even on his worst day, he still manages to outperforms even the venerable Capt. Kirk.

If you enjoy a weekly out of context love scene with no apparent story attached, then Andromeda would be the perfect 10 show for you.

Last edited by KraneXL; 05-23-19 at 05:24 AM.
Old 05-21-19, 06:34 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 9291 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion View Post
Happy! on Netflix - grimy, vulgar, trippy, and hilarious. I loved it, but it's not for everyone.

I saw that too. Absolutely loved it.
Old 05-22-19, 10:19 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rain (Netflix).
Caught my interest at 1st season, spent the 2nd season fast forwarding over and over till I lost interest.
Old 05-23-19, 05:14 AM
KraneXL

The Unit

The Unit 2006
7/10

Not really my type of TV show with all the killing and gunfire. Nevertheless, it does have some redeeming qualities to speak of. For one, it includes traditional gender roles that don't stick out or try to politicize the story.

Each main character has his roles and they play them with remarkable believability. They even manage to do a satisfactory job in maintain the true quality of the military hierarchy and structure. Of course, no dramatic series TV or otherwise is perfect, so they do make some dramatic Hollywood allowance to keep the show interesting and moving forward. "The Units" greatest asset is that the PC never dominates, and is kept to a minimum. Something I find wonderfully refreshing.

Of course, I'm still on Season 1 episode 7 so it has a long way to go, and a lot can change in 4 season. For now, we'll have to wait and see what happens next, and what my final verdict will be. In any event, I recommend this show, so long as you don't find the constant semi war drama gunfire too much.

Genres Action, Drama, Military and War
Old 05-25-19, 01:34 PM
FBOATSB 

Bikes: Old Schwinns

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
The Unit 2006
7/10

Not really my type of TV show with all the killing and gunfire. Nevertheless, it does have some redeeming qualities to speak of. For one, it includes traditional gender roles that don't stick out or try to politicize the story.

Each main character has his roles and they play them with remarkable believability. They even manage to do a satisfactory job in maintain the true quality of the military hierarchy and structure. Of course, no dramatic series TV or otherwise is perfect, so they do make some dramatic Hollywood allowance to keep the show interesting and moving forward. "The Units" greatest asset is that the PC never dominates, and is kept to a minimum. Something I find wonderfully refreshing.

Of course, I'm still on Season 1 episode 7 so it has a long way to go, and a lot can change in 4 season. For now, we'll have to wait and see what happens next, and what my final verdict will be. In any event, I recommend this show, so long as you don't find the constant semi war drama gunfire too much.

Genres Action, Drama, Military and War
I was a regular viewer of that series during it's original run on network TV. No spoilers here, but I would be interested in an amendment to this post if you watch the entire run.
Old 05-25-19, 04:55 PM
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '84 Team Fuji, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 43 Posts
I may have to watch this new Epix series Perpetual Grace with Ben Kingsly because for the theme song. I've been posting the song by Canadian alt grass band The Dead South for a while, nice to see it used in a promo.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 06-27-19 at 05:57 AM. Reason: dead video
Old 05-29-19, 01:23 PM
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 6967 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Love, Death & Robots, 9/10

If you like adult-themed animation, this series rocks. Many different styles, different sci-fi scenarios, vignettes of various lengths. If you liked Liquid Sky and Adult Swim, chances are you'll like this series. For whatever reason, really it a spot for me, so I'm rating it pretty high...
Old 05-29-19, 02:36 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The Bodyguard on Netflix 7/10. Only two episodes in but so far so good. Drama and intrigue.
Old 06-05-19, 06:58 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 893 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't know if "enjoyed" is necessarily the right word for HBO's Chernobyl series. But it certainly had me running the gamut of emotions throughout it's six episodes- horror, disgust, fear, sadness, and awe. Other things in life inspire me to read more about particular historical events but this was the first TV show in a while that has me wanting to do that.

Also, on another note: Good Omens on Amazon Prime. I got about halfway through the first episode with this weird feeling that this felt familiar somehow. And then one of the characters was named and I realized I read (one of?) the book(s) the series was based on. The show doesn't quite live up to the quirkiness of the novel, and I don't feel the need to binge watch it in just a few days. But I'll go back to it and finish it eventually. So I guess that I would rate this one as just OK.
Old 06-06-19, 11:50 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
Made good use of a free week of HBO and watched Deadwood, The Movie and the final 8th Season (six episodes) of Game of Thrones.

Deadwood, the Movie takes place 10 years after the last show of the third season. Most of the characters return and it is quite enjoyable, 9/10.

Game of Thrones producers must not have paid their electric bill, some of the episodes were so poorly lit for extended periods of time that I couldn't tell who was killing whom or how they were doing it. The only scenes that seemed bright enough were being lit up by dragon fire, and the one extended scene of the dragon laying waste to an entire city was pretty impressive. The final season was far too over-hyped by media pundits/flacks. 6.5 overall.
Old 06-06-19, 03:40 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Jadesfire View Post
I don't know if "enjoyed" is necessarily the right word for HBO's Chernobyl series. But it certainly had me running the gamut of emotions throughout it's six episodes- horror, disgust, fear, sadness, and awe. Other things in life inspire me to read more about particular historical events but this was the first TV show in a while that has me wanting to do that.
In that case, feel free to give it your highest ranking, since emotion is the most fundamental element of all cinema productions.

Also, on another note: Good Omens on Amazon Prime. I got about halfway through the first episode with this weird feeling that this felt familiar somehow. And then one of the characters was named and I realized I read (one of?) the book(s) the series was based on. The show doesn't quite live up to the quirkiness of the novel, and I don't feel the need to binge watch it in just a few days. But I'll go back to it and finish it eventually. So I guess that I would rate this one as just OK.
I got the exact same vibe. I try never to binge watch any series though, since like fine foods and wine, it needs to be savored to appreciate the full effect.

However, in this case it was easy, since I'm not familiar with the book and need a break to determine exactly what to make of it. I'm never quite sure if its making fun of religion or supporting it?

BTW, I try never to compare a book to a movie. They're two distinct art forms that appeal to different parts of the mind. Its similar to comparing a photograph to a painting. Which most of us instinctively never do.
Old 06-06-19, 10:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
Made more use of the free week of HBO by Watching the 2019 documentary, The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley about the health care fraud of Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes its would be Steve Jobs clone. Fakin' it til you make it, except Theranos never made it. 9/10.

Story pretty much tracked the outline of the fraud and attempted coverup as described in the book, Bad Blood by John Carreyrou.
Old 06-11-19, 11:40 AM
bikecrate

Watched Good Omens first episode. Not sure if I'll stick with it. Might give it at least one more try. Thought it was trying to be a little too clever/cute.

Need to watch Chernobyl before HBO streaming ends.
Old 06-11-19, 03:54 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
Watched Good Omens first episode. Not sure if I'll stick with it. Might give it at least one more try. Thought it was trying to be a little too clever/cute.
Maybe I just don't get British humor? Watched up to episode 5 and gave up. I tired.

Need to watch Chernobyl before HBO streaming ends.
You didn't?
Old 06-11-19, 04:06 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Watched the first season of the Netflix series Bad Blood. It is loosely a historical docu-drama about the drug trade in Canadistan. The first season was decent with a nice twist at the mid end point. There is enough reality to keep it grounded and enough drama to make it fun. Based on that alone, we had read about a continuation of the series for more season(s). We were disappointed to see that it moved much further into the fiction section to a run of the mill offering, all the way around.

Where I like the main character, particularly his portrayal as off the rails "Tig" in SOA, this continuation is not taking advantage of his skill set. The rest of the casting and characterization is shallow and predictable as well as the storyline. Where I would go so far as to rate the first season a 7/8 I would be reaching to give this season a 4. I have committed to a degree that I will finish it in the hopes that a fizzle might happen but would otherwise suggest to watch soap opera re-runs.
Old 06-12-19, 12:36 PM
bikecrate

Watched the first three episodes of Schitt's Creek on Netflix. Not bad. Has Chris Elliot, Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara in it so it must be good. It reminds me of Trailer Park Boys a bit. Kind of slow burn Canadian humor.

Side observation...it's kind of nice that some of these actors, older not in their career prime, get to resurface in series like this. All these Amazon, Netflix etc. original programming seem to be responsible for it.
Old 06-15-19, 06:33 AM
mariopepper

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GOT 10/10
Daredevil 8/10
dexter 8/10
Old 06-18-19, 04:44 AM
kellyon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3rd episode of Haunting of Hill House and it's maintained its starting momentum quite nicely and is keeping my attention well. The scares are few and far between but it's to the shows strength and that sense of dread is still looming through each episode.
Old 06-18-19, 08:46 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Binging Westworld at the moment. Love it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.