Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Outbound Lighting - is it worth it?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Outbound Lighting - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-19, 01:37 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I have never felt the need to turn off my IQ-X, it's really only an issue if you have a 'bent and can't reach the light.
The IQ-X can rotate 180° in the housing so it can be mounted upside down.

I have a Cyo premium on my training bike, it's a good light but the IQ-X is much wider and a little brighter.
A mate has an Edelux, he insists I go first so we can see better.
Old 05-26-19, 02:01 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
For a rear tail light I use a Cygolite Hotshot Pro 150 (note: there's also a newer model the Hotshot Pro 200).

It's very bright, lasts a very long time on flash mode, is USB rechargeable and I feel confident recommending it.

https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Hots.../dp/B01IO12LCQ
+1
I've got the Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 .... amazing light with very long battery life. Extremely bright but you can set the brightness. Also very good for daytime cycling

If you don't have a Dynamo setup, the Cygolite front lights are amazing .... I like this one:

Expilion 850 USB https://cygolite.com/product/expilion-850-usb/

you can buy additional USB 'battery sticks' if you are planning on going on a long tour
Old 05-26-19, 09:20 AM
rantoie

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
+1
I've got the Cygolite Hotshot Pro 200 .... amazing light with very long battery life. Extremely bright but you can set the brightness. Also very good for daytime cycling
Oh... I bought the 100, because I got the impression the 150-200 were too bright and annoying for people. I didn't realize you could adjust the brightness, or I would have got the 200 because they are essentially the same price.
Old 05-26-19, 10:11 AM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outbound just launched a new self-contained helmet light, its pretty nice. If I was in the market for a helmet light, I'd get it: https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...n-1103700.html
Old 05-26-19, 10:41 AM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't seem to find dynamo hubs that are already built into wheels. Maybe its a Canada thing, but I can find the wheel, and I can find the dynamo, but never together. That means I'd have to have the wheel built, which is going to run me an additional $150 or so. Yes, I could build it myself, but I'm not ready to dive into that right now.
Old 05-26-19, 05:10 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by rantoie
Outbound just launched a new self-contained helmet light, its pretty nice. If I was in the market for a helmet light, I'd get it: https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...n-1103700.html
How does the mount attach to the helmet?

It looks like it uses sticky tape.
Old 05-28-19, 07:41 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
I can't seem to find dynamo hubs that are already built into wheels. Maybe its a Canada thing, but I can find the wheel, and I can find the dynamo, but never together. That means I'd have to have the wheel built, which is going to run me an additional $150 or so. Yes, I could build it myself, but I'm not ready to dive into that right now.
How is it an additional $150? Here in the States, the labor charge to build a wheel is around $50 US. If you have a bike coop, you might be able to do it for free. We offer lessons at my coop, for a voluntary contribution.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-10-19, 05:45 AM
polyphrast

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Rantoie, my first post here, i just want to give an hopefully helpful answer to your question as a user of IQ cyo premium, Outbound Road (and Lupine SL-F).

My city bike has a dyno with the IQ Cyo Premium. I thought about buying the iq-x, but decided the cyo premium is enough for the city and the iq-x was not worth the higher price. Haven't regretted that yet.
The cyo premium works perfectly as city light, as you always have background illumination to cover higher reach. In really dark spots it is also fine to detect potholes etc. However it has a not enough luminous flux/output to see much of your own beam pattern when encountering oncoming cars. Here are bike paths along roads on the "wrong" side and roughly 50 cm lower than the street level, so car headlights then tend to blind a lot. In this case the Cyo premium is hopeless. So that is why i bought a Lupine SL-F and (only out of curiousity) the OL Focal Road. With these lamps you can see your own beam with oncoming cars and you do not drive into a "black hole" after the car has passed and your eyes adapt back to the darker environment. One big advantage of the OL Road and the Lupine SL-F in the city is the fact that oncoming car drivers tend to respect your much more, as they probably perceive me as a motorcycle.

As you wrote you'll be in europe, I'd throw in the bm ixon space, which you can get in (german) online shops for 150-170 EUR. It has a clear cut-off, integrated battery and a nice output (7.5W, measured 500 lm, probably 200-300 lm more than the dyno IQ-X version with 2.4W). I compared the OL Road with the SL-F and the Ixon space in a german forum. in the mtbr forum (lights and night riding; thread: outbound focal series discussion) is a post of mine (post 748, can't post a link, as i am too new), where i link to the german post and translate the most important text of the test description.

The new hangover does not seem to be made for city riding, no cut off

tl;dr: OL Road not needed in a city, (very) nice to have, gives you more respect from motorist however

Last edited by polyphrast; 03-22-20 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-10-19, 10:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Question So , where did you look?

I can't seem to find dynamo hubs that are already built into wheels.
wholesalers to bike shops build wheels with parts at wholesale & ship to your LBS, who sell it to you..

typically hub is shimano, maker of several dynamo hub models..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-10-19 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-10-19, 12:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

No one in this or the MTBR thread wants to address how the Outbound Hangover mount attaches to the helmet.

I've asked a second time in the MTBR thread.

The photo on the website looks like it attaches with tape.

-Tim-
Old 06-11-19, 12:14 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
No one in this or the MTBR thread wants to address how the Outbound Hangover mount attaches to the helmet.

I've asked a second time in the MTBR thread.

The photo on the website looks like it attaches with tape.

-Tim-
Take another look at MTBR..........the owner of the company answered like this:

Sorry, thought I had mentioned it before. It'll come with a standard GoPro helmet mount like what infinityzak just posted. We already include these in our Downhill Package. Given that the GoPro style mount is about as much of a standard as we can get in biking, that is why decided to just fully integrate it into the housing itself. No weird adapters or anything.
Old 06-11-19, 07:29 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

It still isn't clear whether the light comes with the portion of the mount which attaches to the helmet or if it has to be purchased separately.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 06-23-19, 11:18 AM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
It still isn't clear whether the light comes with the portion of the mount which attaches to the helmet or if it has to be purchased separately.
The whole thing comes together
Old 06-23-19, 12:15 PM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by polyphrast
So that is why i bought a Lupine SL-F... With these lamps you can see your own beam with oncoming cars and you do not drive into a "black hole" after the car has passed and your eyes adapt back to the darker environment.

As you wrote you'll be in europe, I'd throw in the bm ixon space...

I compared the OL Road with the SL-F and the Ixon space in a german forum. in the mtbr forum (lights and night riding; thread: outbound focal series discussion) is a post of mine (post 748, can't post a link, as i am too new), where i link to the german post and translate the most important text of the test description.
Here is what you said in that post:

Markings in the pics are at 20-22m, 40-42m and 60-62m. The camera settings were ISO 100, aperture F/4, 4 secs exposure time. It was a wet forest road and there came quite some fog up during the shooting. The road has a slight tilt downwards from inbetween the first and the second marking and the pictures are slightly to dark when one looks at the area behind the second marking. The last marking (bike helmet with neon yellow cover) and trees there were clearly visible with the Lupine at all settings (except lowest) and for the outbound (except lowest).

Hum, it looks like the Ixon Space is *not* a dynamo light. I am looking for a dynamo light, neither is the SL-F

Last edited by rantoie; 06-23-19 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-03-19, 01:19 PM
polyphrast

[...] Hum, it looks like the Ixon Space is *not* a dynamo light. I am looking for a dynamo light, neither is the SL-F
I started in this forum this morning looking for some recommendations about bike lights.[...]Then I found a post here that recommended I check out Outbound Lighting's offerings. I really liked what I saw, and I would love to have one of the Road bike versions.... [...]but do I need that kind of light? I live in Montreal, so I'm mostly doing city riding, and there is ok street lighting, however there are insane potholes here, and there are some rides that are not very well lit at all. [...] I'm not a huge fan of the external battery pack, and read over on mtbr forums that they are working on a new model, that sounds like it would not have a battery pack... [...]
Well, i wanted to convey in my post that you do not need the Outbound Road (nor the SL-F), and gave a certain case were i think these high powered lamps are really useful and necessary. If your choice is now a dynamo light (which i can understand), the best available lamp is the IQ-X, at least to my knowledge. In case it doesn't do the job well enough in darker sections to recognizes potholes and other obstacles early enough, maybe combine it with a cheaper flashlight (or the new Outbound hangover) for those conditions.

I only threw in the Ixon Space as you wrote in your inital post that you're not a fan of external battery packs and this one is a very good light (when considering glarefree products) with internal battery.
Old 07-04-19, 07:08 AM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I've already got a fairly powerful, and cheap, flashlight.

I've been trying to decide between the IQ-X, the Cyo-Premium and the IQ Premium Fly RT Senso Plus.

From what I've read on https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.php - they think this is the best headlight for daily commute, because the daytime running lights are better than all the rest and with the beam shape the same as the IQ Cyo Premium . Because the daytime LEDs remain lit at night, it helps with reading signs, "and present a larger "footprint" of the headlight itself to oncoming drivers, but not bright enough to blind oncoming drivers."

Previously, I was pretty sure I wanted the Cyo Premium, but having good daytime lighting also would be nice.
Old 07-04-19, 08:05 AM
polyphrast

Well, the IQ-X and the Ixon Space use the same reflector. The Space (and the IQ-XE) are just driven with more power. The beam pattern is better than that of the Cyo/Fly Premium, but as i wrote the "Premium" lamps do a sufficient job in the city as well.

As B&M always saves on materials and uses plastic front covers, the IQ-X has (to my knowledge) the advantage that you actually can change the front cover once its scratched. This is not possible for the Fly or Cyo. Also the IQ-X is completely made of aluminum. The Cyo premium only has a aluminum shield for cooling of the LED.
i would not recommend the Fly RT Premium, it has only 60 instead of 80 lux (Cyo T Premium or Fly Premium) due to an additional front reflector which covers part of the front opening. Additionally the housing of the fly is fully made of plastics, which means bad heat transfer from the LED. I'd rather buy the Cyo T Premium (not the RT version...) and add a separate reflector to the bike. Unfortunately there is no "Fly T" Version. I've seen a lot of Cyo (R)T and Fly RT in oncoming traffic, and you will still easily notice a Cyo T during daylight, even though the daytime LEDs are all in a row below the lamp and no so fancy spread apart as in case of the fly rt.

Last edited by polyphrast; 07-04-19 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-04-19, 09:28 AM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the IQ-X and the Ixon Space use the same reflector. The Space (and the IQ-XE) are just driven with more power. The beam pattern is better than that of the Cyo/Fly Premium, but as i wrote the "Premium" lamps do a sufficient job in the city as well.

As B&M always saves on materials and uses plastic front covers, the IQ-X has (to my knowledge) the advantage that you actually can change the front cover once its scratched. This is not possible for the Fly or Cyo. Also the IQ-X is completely made of aluminum. The Cyo premium only has a aluminum shield for cooling of the LED.
i would not recommend the Fly RT Premium, it has only 60 instead of 80 lux (Cyo T Premium or Fly Premium) due to an additional front reflector which covers part of the front opening. Additionally the housing of the fly is fully made of plastics, which means bad heat transfer from the LED. I'd rather buy the Cyo T Premium (not the RT version...) and add a separate reflector to the bike. Unfortunately there is no "Fly T" Version. I've seen a lot of Cyo (R)T and Fly RT in oncoming traffic, and you will still easily notice a Cyo T during daylight, even though the daytime LEDs are all in a row below the lamp and no so fancy spread apart as in case of the fly rt.

Very good points. I'd definitely go for the increased lux, although I read somewhere that this doesn't actually mean 'better'... but it seems like its going to result in more light, which does seem better.

I also do like the more solid construction as well as the heat transfer!

I've been biking a dark path the last few nights, and my cheap $14 flashlight has been really great. Its been making me rethink getting the dynamo, but I think I still will do it.
Old 07-05-19, 01:14 AM
polyphrast

Very good points. I'd definitely go for the increased lux, although I read somewhere that this doesn't actually mean 'better'... but it seems like its going to result in more light, which does seem better.

I also do like the more solid construction as well as the heat transfer!

I've been biking a dark path the last few nights, and my cheap $14 flashlight has been really great. Its been making me rethink getting the dynamo, but I think I still will do it.
You're right that more lux does not necessary more light or better (as you just could focus the same amount of light into a tighter spot to have higher lux values), but in this case more lux means as well also more lumens, as it is the same lamp and same reflector. Unfortunately B&M does never give lumens, only lux, as for german regulations lux is the most important thing... You can see this nicely on the official B&M page (BUMM dot de/en), just select one of the dynamo products and on the bottom you see beam shots for different lux values.
Old 07-05-19, 07:49 AM
rantoie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me its a toss-up between the IQ-X and the Cyo Premium (80 version, which is the upgraded one). There is a higher light output of the IQ-X, and I like the higher quality anodized steel construction. What I do not like is the weak standlight (its only powered by capacitor?), which might suggest I'd need a battery light to supplement it in my urban riding. I wonder too if the beam being so narrow and focused might be too much of an issue, like having trouble seeing signs, or things from the right and left. There is also the issue of the electrical switch, which should just be mechanical, but it glows a blue circle in the back...do I really need a blue circle in my peripheral vision at all times?

Maybe the standlight is not such a big issue, and the switch is also something that will not bother me.
Old 07-06-19, 04:38 PM
polyphrast

For me its a toss-up between the IQ-X and the Cyo Premium (80 version, which is the upgraded one). There is a higher light output of the IQ-X, and I like the higher quality anodized steel construction. What I do not like is the weak standlight (its only powered by capacitor?), which might suggest I'd need a battery light to supplement it in my urban riding. I wonder too if the beam being so narrow and focused might be too much of an issue, like having trouble seeing signs, or things from the right and left. There is also the issue of the electrical switch, which should just be mechanical, but it glows a blue circle in the back...do I really need a blue circle in my peripheral vision at all times?
Maybe the standlight is not such a big issue, and the switch is also something that will not bother me.
The manual of the IQ-X says dedicated LEDs for daylight driving. I guess daylight mode and standlight are not the same, in my cyo t premium i have only 2 LEDs below the main light active on standlight mode, but 4 in daylight mode (i.e. while driving in daylight, not standing in daylight). If you worry about a too narrow beam, take the iq-x, the cyo is more narrow, especially in the distance. In case you do not feel safe, use a flash light in strobe mode during daylight...
Old 07-08-19, 05:43 PM
polyphrast

i just found a website of a guy who modifies the cyo premium in such a way that you have a high beam (costs 55€), and he also builds a hell of a dynamo bicycle light (180€). Seems like a hobby project offered to interested people. since i can't post links yet and can't send you a pm yet, you'd have to pm me, maybe i can answer... most probably i'll get my cyo premium modified. Too tempting...
Old 12-30-19, 05:58 PM
polyphrast

I answer here to a post from a different thread since it fits better here:
Originally Posted by canklecat
Thanks for the links. Unfortunately I'm getting some formatting problems on my end and it's difficult to be sure which photos go with which descriptions. Might be something to do with Google's auto-translation from a German site.
Thats a bummer with the formatting, here is a description to each images as shown in the translated post/ original post: Outbound on High, Outbound on medium, outbound on low; SL-F dipped at 16W/1000lm, SL-F high beam at 16W/1300 lm, Sl-F dipped at 8W/650 lm, SL-F at Daylight mode; Ixon Space full power, Ixon Space medium, Ixon Space lowest.

Originally Posted by canklecat
Which of the lights you tested did you prefer? My use will be 75% road, mostly two-lane rural highways. Maybe a few casual gravel rides but no single track or fast off-road night rides of any kind.
It is really hard to recommend a light, since people have different tastes and needs. First of all, all lights will give you at least 50 m usable reach (in dipped beam mode), so all of those lights will do the job well for your described usage.

Hope the following helps you to pick the right light

if you want an integrated high beam in your lamp (the high beam in general gives you better view in curves when the bike is tilted while turning),
then the choice is only between the Lupine SL-F and the supernova M99 (Mini) Pro. The former has a much wider spread, the latter a narrower beam, bit warmer light color and a bit more punch/throw, albeit a much more inhomogeneous beam shape. Both lights give you in dipped mode at least 50m throw, the Supernova a few more meters. In the high beam mode, the throw of the supernova is distinctly better (+ 15 to 20 m) compared to the lupine. The battery version of the Supernova is ridiculously expensive, otherwise you can connect the ebike-version (mini pro 25+/45+) to a 11V battery pack (i wouldn't use the M99 Pro, that ione wastes 5 W for daylight running lights).
Also B&M recently released their IQ-XM, an e-bike light with integrated high beam function, which accepts any power source with any voltage from 8 to 48V. Haven't seen any real life beam shots yet, and the throw in low beam is probably weaker than that of the Ixon Space/IQ-XE (80 vs 150 lux). If there is not much oncoming traffic and you don't ride often in very wet conditions, it probably does as well a good job.

In case you do not need an high beam integrated in the lamp:
The throw of the ixon space will be a bit better (it has 150 lux at the brightest point) than that of the Outbound Road (with 115 lux at the brightest point). The Outbound has a wider beam, especially in front of the bike, which comes handy at turns. Advantage of the Outbound: the rubber mount can be easily adjusted while riding, which allows to turn the light a bit up to have higher reach if there is no oncoming traffic. This adjustment is nicely shown in a video from the manufacturer, where you also see the afore mentioned/critized bright spot (which is discussed here by me) that gets weaker/stronger depending on the mounting position : youtube.com/watch?v=8hnms2k7Ti0&t=7m42s. The OL is albeit adjustable still mounted securely when driving over potholes (see for proof that crazy video: youtube.com/watch?v=28HbGpL5EIY&t=3m10s). The holder of the ixon space cannot be moved -by design, it can only be moved if you mount it a tiny bit loose.
Another option would be a supernova light without high beam, then the m99 mini pure 45 would have the best throw (at the cost of a slightly inhomogeneous beam shape).Should you not like the self contained style of the ixon space, you could get the B&M IQ-XE (same light, just for e-bikes) and connect it to any 6-48V batter)

Finally beam shots and videos, some of them in german:
Here is a wall shot of the ixon space, here the beam of the ixon space on a wet pathway.
Here is a wall shot of the Outbound Road vs the Ixon IQ
Here is a wall shot comparison of the Ixon Space/IQ-XE with the Lupine SL (identical dipped beam as the SL-F): youtube.com/watch?v=VZhVJPwdZD4&t=10m30s, first the SL is shown, then the IQ-XE/ixon space),
and here is a nice video showing the ixon space (markings in the middle at 50m, last at 100m: youtube.com/watch?v=oWbk9mPQuSg&t=10m35s
Here is a beam shot comparison between the Lupine SL-F and a Supernova M99 Mini Pro 25+, and here is the (translated) explanation to that beam shot. (download the images in the highest quality and watch them in full screen mode...
Here is a very good review on the Supernova M99 Mini Pro 25)
and here is list of beam shots of the SL-F

The Ixon Space is shipped i.e. by bike24 to the US (some others do as well, others like bike-discount.de don't)

Last edited by polyphrast; 01-02-20 at 05:55 AM.
Likes For polyphrast:
Old 12-31-19, 12:03 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Wow, thanks for the information. I ordered my Outbound Road Edition this morning and Matt says it should be here in a couple of days. They had apparently gotten behind because good reviews were swamping them. Good for him.

I did not want a dynamo at the moment and the two I narrowed my choice down to were the Ixon Space and the Road Edition. I studied both but ultimately, for me, it came down to beam shape. I really like the width on the Outbound. I sometimes ride where there is significant chance for wildlife encounters and I think I will appreciate the width on the Road Edition. Also, in town, I am constantly taking 90-degree turns. I have used my helmet light for that in the past, but sometimes, it would be nice not to have to wear that thing.

I will post some thoughts once I've ridden with the Outbound for a bit. I am very interested in comparing it to my three Cygolites and the quite good and inexpensive Ceco F1000.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-31-19, 12:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
...The OL is still mounted securely when driving over potholes (see that crazy youtube video of nate hill riding the mtb trail "hangover" in sedona (AZ) at night)
I fell out of my chair just watching that video.

Good lights, though.