Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nutrition for muscle building

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 11:52 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts

What do you eat after a strenuous ride, and how long after do you consume it? I'm trying to build muscle strength to improve speed and endurance on climbs and would like to better understand the nutrition aspect.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 05-27-19, 11:57 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
After a long or hard ride, usually a protein drink right when I get home, then ideally some real food after I get cleaned up and changed, maybe an hour or so later. Something nutritious with a good amount of vegetables, protein, and carbs. No need to get complicated. Have food prepared in advance if you don't feel like cooking after rides.
Old 05-27-19, 12:08 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
Honestly, on the weekend, anything that sounds good. Pizza comes to mind usually. I save the healthy eating and muscle building diet for the weight and cardio days at the gym, or my weekday rides. Then it's usually protein with a healthy carb and some veggies.
Old 05-27-19, 12:09 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
0.8 g protein per pound, sufficient carbs, progressive overload.
Old 05-27-19, 12:18 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
What do you eat after a strenuous ride, and how long after do you consume it? I'm trying to build muscle strength to improve speed and endurance on climbs and would like to better understand the nutrition aspect.

Thanks,
Robert
Generally a mix of carbs and protein are considered best for a post-exercise recovery drink. Having said that, I'd like to point out a few things:

1. Strenuous rides won't build a lot of muscle (but they likely will make you faster).
2. More muscle and strength won't necessarily make you faster (but it may, and it is good to have for general health reasons). Experts seem to have very differing opinions regarding this.
3. Lifting weights is the best way to build muscle and improve your strength.
4. While there is such thing as a post-exercise "window" where your body absorbs nutrients faster than normal, it really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things for most of us. People who need to recover quickly (like a cyclist in a stage race) need to worry about this, but for most of us, we have more than enough time to absorb all the nutrients we need before our next outing.
5. Regardless of what you do, building muscle generally requires a caloric surplus to be consumed. Your body can't make something out of nothing. Getting stronger can happen without a caloric surplus, but your strength gains will be somewhat limited.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 05-27-19, 01:01 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

Thanks,
Robert
I'm just curious - are you really lean already? You can increase your w/kg by either increasing you watts or by decreasing your kgs. There's certainly watts to be gained if you haven't done any structured training, but decreasing the kgs might be the lower hanging fruit.
Old 05-27-19, 09:57 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts

Thanks,
Robert
There are a lot of companies trying to sell you the perfect "post-workout" nutritional supplement, which quick-digesting protein and carbs. But if you just eat properly *during* the ride, it'll be in the system when your body needs it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-28-19, 10:25 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

Thanks,
Robert
Burgers and beer. Or cookies and donuts. Or whatever is leftover in the fridge from the night before.

Build muscle strength by riding more. Eat on rides in order to ride more.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 05-31-19, 08:55 PM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
You will see so much conflicting information online, I'd say just go with common sense. If it was a shorter, less strenuous ride, don't worry about getting food right away. If it was a really hard ride with lots of stress, I'd eat right after/within 30 minutes of stopping. As for what to eat, a good blend of protein, carbs, and fats with food that's dense in micronutrients is the way to go; i.e. meats (assuming you're not vegan/vegetarian), salad, and some carb - pasta, potatoes, whatever.
Old 05-31-19, 09:09 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
One word: protein. This is of course strictly anaerobic muscle building which is best done in the gym, and greater than anything you can produce on a ride. Improving your leg strength will most definitely improve your ability to climb.
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
0.8 - 1.2 g protein per pound, sufficient carbs, progressive overload.
Fixed.

Although, when I'm in my muscle building mode (right now since you asked), I keep it simple and round to 1.0 g/lb. I hate math.